Durango,CO

millhouse

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Vrbo executed for a June visit. Very fired up. I’ve never been to this part of Colorado and looking forward to all the activities. 

I've toyed with the idea of buying a place outside Durango just to VRBO it when we aren't using it. But those home prices are approaching Austin-level of insanity. 

1 minute ago, hornian said:

I've toyed with the idea of buying a place outside Durango just to VRBO it when we aren't using it. But those home prices are approaching Austin-level of insanity. 

Mountain real estate has gone bananas with COVID.  Everyone wants to be able to get away from people.

53 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Mountain real estate has gone bananas with COVID.  Everyone wants to be able to get away from people.

Yeah, which makes me wish I had pulled the trigger last summer. The problem was the home was in Durango proper, and they weren't giving any more short term rental licenses. I was going to have to do a 1031 exchange with a property on Lake Travis I was doing that with which was daunting (doing simultaneously sale/purchase in different states) so we didn't do it. And I went ahead and sold the Lake Travis house this past year so that's off the table for now. Now looking at a long term rental property in El Paso as a possible investment, but I won't have the benefit of going skiing at that property if we go that route. So I think that ship has officially sailed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, hornian said:

Yeah, which makes me wish I had pulled the trigger last summer. The problem was the home was in Durango proper, and they weren't giving any more short term rental licenses. I was going to have to do a 1031 exchange with a property on Lake Travis I was doing that with which was daunting (doing simultaneously sale/purchase in different states) so we didn't do it. And I went ahead and sold the Lake Travis house this past year so that's off the table for now. Now looking at a long term rental property in El Paso as a possible investment, but I won't have the benefit of going skiing at that property if we go that route. So I think that ship has officially sailed. 

Check out northeast AZ. Like pinetop/lakeside. Properties aren't stupid yet and you are in a nice cool area in the summer.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2018 at 11:50 PM, Grimas said:

Fly fish on the San Jaun below the base of the dam.  Best fishing ever... rent a jeep and do some mining trails...

Working up our itenerary for June and want to do fly fishing. There are four of us and none of us has ever fly fished, hence we will need a guide.  Any suggestions? We all plan to take a lesson before we go.

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Working up our itenerary for June and want to do fly fishing. There are four of us and none of us has ever fly fished, hence we will need a guide.  Any suggestions? We all plan to take a lesson before we go.

It’s been years since I’ve been there but check out Abe’s fly shop page for info.  Looks like it is closed now due to Covid...  https://www.sanjuanriver.com/

first time I went to the San Jaun, it was the first time I had ever fly fished.  Still caught a bunch under the dam (catch and release).  All you need to do is the “San Juan Shuffle”...  :)

Any suggestions for a quick daytime activity in Durango?  Also need a good rec for a family dinner.  

We're headed to Telluride for Spring Break.  Leaving Friday, staying Friday night in Santa Fe.  Planning on getting to Durango by lunch.  Spend Saturday there, then leave early Sunday to make it to Telluride when the mountain opens.

13 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Any suggestions for a quick daytime activity in Durango?  Also need a good rec for a family dinner.  

We're headed to Telluride for Spring Break.  Leaving Friday, staying Friday night in Santa Fe.  Planning on getting to Durango by lunch.  Spend Saturday there, then leave early Sunday to make it to Telluride when the mountain opens.

If the times work, the "short" train ride (there's a depot outside of town, and the train ride only lasts about 2 hours) is worth it.

I've really liked El Moro the couple of times I've been: https://elmorotavern.com

If the weather is nice enough to eat outside, you could also go to 11th Street Station - a bunch of food trucks and a bar: http://11thstreetstation.com

And, if you like beer, hard to go wrong with Carver Brewing for food and beer (although website says "temporarily closed) or Steamworks Brewing.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
14 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:
Will be up in Fraser in May & June. We rent a house up on Moose Run but starting to look at property. 

I'm really close to Moose Run.

Well I'll be socially distancing at Idlewild or Fraser distilling. Maybe we'll run into each other. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Well I'll be socially distancing at Idlewild or Fraser distilling. Maybe we'll run into each other. 

Haven't been to Fraser distillery in a while.  They need to get better food.  Idlewild is much better, IMO.

Fraser River Beer Co has a new taco trailer out front.  Much better than the other trailer they had out back last year.  That trailer moved to a different location in WP.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Haven't been to Fraser distillery in a while.  They need to get better food.  Idlewild is much better, IMO.

Fraser River Beer Co has a new taco trailer out front.  Much better than the other trailer they had out back last year.  That trailer moved to a different location in WP.

I'm very impressed with Idlewild in general. I brought back a couple bottles of their Woodcutters and we would get food from them regularly. Fraser has some decent snack foods but doesn't compare. I'll check out the taco truck though. We were having a hard time finding places last year as everyone was still figuring out new COVID rules. Also, if you havent yet, Westbound and Down in Idaho Springs has great food and beer. 

2 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I'm very impressed with Idlewild in general. I brought back a couple bottles of their Woodcutters and we would get food from them regularly. Fraser has some decent snack foods but doesn't compare. I'll check out the taco truck though. We were having a hard time finding places last year as everyone was still figuring out new COVID rules. Also, if you havent yet, Westbound and Down in Idaho Springs has great food and beer. 

Haven't stopped at Westbound and Down, although it's been on my list for a while.  I just want to get to WP when I'm in the car.

One Love is gone from Fraser as of this winter.  Most of the other places seem to have made it so far, thankfully.  There's a new bar/Corndog trailer in the Murdoch's center (bar is in a retail space and the corndog trailer is out back).  Good corndogs but I haven't been in the bar.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/21/2021 at 11:13 AM, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Any advise on Mesa Verde tours?  Time of day and  which one.

2 boys - 6&8

They are used to hiking, climbing and heat, but they are lowland people.  No idea how the elevation will work for them.  Long house seemed the most interactive.

I assume you've already gone... but if not and for others: there should be no reason the boys of this age shouldn't handle the hike just fine.  hope you enjoyed it.