Tell Me About West Virginia

GhostofDanJones

On 7/29/2019 at 4:39 PM, Colonel Sanders said:

We went 4 years ago and had a blast.  The game sucked, but we didn't run across any asshole fans and many offered us shots of moonshine or beers at their tailgates.  As mentioned finding a hotel can be a problem.  I was going to go back this year but one of my wife's cunt friends thought it was appropriate to get married during the football season. 

Unless you’re in the wedding, don’t go. Thems the rules.

• Like 1

Fairmont is a solid 15 miles away. Gonna be a pricey Uber I’d imagine 

Cheaper than getting butt fucked by Jethro in some shitty WV jail house.

Actually, Jethro would probably butt fuck you for free. It’s the bail and therapy you’ll require that’s gonna cost you.

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I’d schedule that Uber in advance vs trying to get one after game in the Uber “scrum”

Yes, or wait a while after the game. Morgantown is not really well equipped to handle the logistics that go along with big games. The roads get clogged and it takes forever to get anywhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Whole lotta ignorance regarding uber in town of under 100K.  

Hence the preschedule. They’ve got uber I’m assuming. You wait to get one when you walk out of stadium you’re screwed. 

As I noted above when my buddies and I went we stayed in civilization(Pittsburgh) and took a limo to/from Morgantown. 

4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Hence the preschedule. They’ve got uber I’m assuming. You wait to get one when you walk out of stadium you’re screwed. 

As I noted above when my buddies and I went we stayed in civilization(Pittsburgh) and took a limo to/from Morgantown.  

I'm guessing the game will be a nooner, and therefore we'll stick around in town to watch the later games. So it'll probably still be surge-y, but not as bad as immediately after the game ends.

On 8/2/2019 at 7:35 PM, texifornia said:

I want to go be able to go out in Mtown Friday and Saturday and still be within a quick Uber. An hour seemed to stretch that.

We went out to the South Side bars in Pittsburgh the night before the first WVU Big 12 game in 2012. There were a lot of WVU fans down there and it was a good time. I had more fun with WVU/Pitt fans than night than in Morgantown the next day.

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

We went out to the South Side bars in Pittsburgh the night before the first WVU Big 12 game in 2012. There were a lot of WVU fans down there and it was a good time. I had more fun with WVU/Pitt fans than night than in Morgantown the next day.

That does sound fun. What did you do Saturday after the game? Or was it a night game?

30 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That does sound fun. What did you do Saturday after the game? Or was it a night game?

I think it was an 12PM game so that was painful. Hung around the BlueLot and then went around town eating/drinking. I think the early start kinda killed the vibe for Saturday night compared to a normal football Saturday. That was the final year of Smith/Austin/Bailey for them so they were pretty smug for only beating Baylor 70-63.

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

I think it was an 12PM game so that was painful. Hung around the BlueLot and then went around town eating/drinking. I think the early start kinda killed the vibe for Saturday night compared to a normal football Saturday. That was the final year of Smith/Austin/Bailey for them so they were pretty smug for only beating Baylor 70-63. 

Hah, I mean there's worse things than hanging around a college town on a Saturday. Did you get a car back to Pittsburgh to stay the night or was someone DDing?

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Hah, I mean there's worse things than hanging around a college town on a Saturday. Did you get a car back to Pittsburgh to stay the night or was someone DDing?

Yeah my brother doesn't drink so we got back safely. In fact I think it was pretty early that we got back because I think I remember Texas and oSu were on TV. It was already fall up there and I wish I had an extra week to hike and drive around. It was beautiful. Pittsburgh's airport was easy to handle too. Pittsburgh was a lot more fun overall than I expected. 

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the fans were very different than fans at the rest of the Big 12 schools. There was a huge jersey wearing (not sure on tailoring) contingent there. It was homecoming and on the bus from the parking lot to the stadium they asked the 40 or so people on the bus how many went to WVU and there were 0. It felt more like a pro sporing event than cfb to me.

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I forgot to mention the fans were very different than fans at the rest of the Big 12 schools. There was a huge jersey wearing (not sure on tailoring) contingent there. It was homecoming and on the bus from the parking lot to the stadium they asked the 40 or so people on the bus how many went to WVU and there were 0. It felt more like a pro sporing event than cfb to me.

Interesting - honestly seeing what the West Virginia townies are like is part of the fun.

I've been to a WVU March Madness game here in NYC (SFA beat them hahahaha), and the alumni base that showed up were a lot of DC-area guys who had gone there since it was reasonably close and they didn't get into UVA. They definitely didn't seem like the trek-seven-hours-for-a-mediocre-football-team kind of crew.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Interesting - honestly seeing what the West Virginia townies are like is part of the fun.

I've been to a WVU March Madness game here in NYC (SFA beat them hahahaha), and the alumni base that showed up were a lot of DC-area guys who had gone there since it was reasonably close and they didn't get into UVA. They definitely didn't seem like the trek-seven-hours-for-a-mediocre-football-team kind of crew.

They were hilarious, pepperoni rolls and moonshine are a must and there are plenty of both. I've never seen an Arkansas game when they play in Little Rock, but I assume its a similar crowd.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 3:42 PM, SimonBolivar said:

I'm not someone that's shits on people for wearing jerseys, but you're right in that there were a shit ton of them, and more than anywhere else in the league.

Theyre definitely a lot differently culturally, being half way across the country from any other school.  But they struck me as very eager to belong. I think they were way more in to college football than anyone else from the Big East, and they appreciate the importance placed on it by Big 12 fans.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not someone that's shits on people for wearing jerseys, but you're right in that there were a shit ton of them, and more than anywhere else in the league.

Theyre definitely a lot differently culturally, being half way across the country from any other school.  But they struck me as very eager to belong. I think they were way more in to college football than anyone else from the Big East, and they appreciate the importance placed on it by Big 12 fans.

Oh yeah and we were there for their first Big 12 game. The place went crazy when they played th Big12 conference promo video before the game started. One fan came up to is and asked what it was like to play Texas. Confused the hell out of us because we've played UT every year for over a century and we thought they were taking about that particular UT team. I guess they really didn't have blue bloods like OU or UT in the Big East. VaTech and Miami were as close as they got.

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Oh yeah and we were there for their first Big 12 game. The place went crazy when they played th Big12 conference promo video before the game started. One fan came up to is and asked what it was like to play Texas. Confused the hell out of us because we've played UT every year for over a century and we thought they were taking about that particular UT team. I guess they really didn't have blue bloods like OU or UT in the Big East. VaTech and Miami were as close as they got.

Good point.

Random aside, that was one of the most entertaining regular season games I ever watched.

On 7/29/2019 at 4:39 PM, Colonel Sanders said:

I was going to go back this year but one of my wife's cunt friends thought it was appropriate to get married during the football season. 

So is this one of her Ex boyfriends, or are ya’ll just kinky?

3 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I really only disagree with one of the assumptions underlying publishing these historic charts. That would be the assumption that S&P+ isn't a nonscientific data-mining abortion of a pretense at meaningful football team strength analysis. Carry on.

I read the explanation and I still don't understand it. 

15 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I really only disagree with one of the assumptions underlying publishing these historic charts. That would be the assumption that S&P+ isn't a nonscientific data-mining abortion of a pretense at meaningful football team strength analysis. Carry on.

It's very silly, but in broad historic trend terms I think these charts are pretty fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Wonder if West Virginia was expecting approval of Jarret Doege waiver or not??

"In Morgantown, Doege will join a quarterback competition that includes a pair of fellow transfers — Jack Allison (Miami) and Austin Kendall(Oklahoma).  Allison served as Will Grier‘s primary backup this past season, although Kendall, who joined the Mountaineers earlier this offseason, is viewed by some as a slight front-runner for the starting job.  Neal Brown could announce his first starting quarterback at WVU as early as this afternoon."

Found this earlier WVa QB battle article...

https://www.wvillustrated.com/uncategorized/brown-reagan-share-update-on-qb-competition/

Edited by LTtxfan

Bought my tickets to the game yesterday.  I will be driving up from Texas so if you pass a black Texas Edition Silverado with some UT swag on it then it is me.  Will be meeting my daughter, granddaughter, and SIL there.  It will be may granddaughter's first football game at the age of 2-1/2 months.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2019 at 12:22 PM, mininghorn88 said:

Will be there with my daughter and SIL.  Also in attendance will be my first granddaughter attending her first UT game.  She will be 2-1/2 months old at game time.  Never too young to start them off right.  Hook'em.

that's a horrible idea.  An infant has no fucking business at a football game. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

On 8/22/2019 at 9:08 AM, texifornia said:

Oops. Comes back for our game.

Just curious... How does a player regain academic eligibility after only 6 weeks??  Seems like he should be ineligible for the entire season...

"According to Mike Casazza of Eersports.com, West Virginia Mountaineers linebacker VanDarius Cowan has been suspended the first four games of the 2019 season. According to the source of the story, Cowan is struggling with academic eligibility issues and therefore will be not eligible to play until the Texas Longhorns game on October 5th."

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just curious... How does a player regain academic eligibility after only 6 weeks??  Seems like he should be ineligible for the entire season...

"According to Mike Casazza of Eersports.com, West Virginia Mountaineers linebacker VanDarius Cowan has been suspended the first four games of the 2019 season. According to the source of the story, Cowan is struggling with academic eligibility issues and therefore will be not eligible to play until the Texas Longhorns game on October 5th."

Unless it's some NCAA violation I'd imagine it's up to the school. Progress? Go play. Summer classes got graded? Beats me.

12 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Unless it's some NCAA violation I'd imagine it's up to the school. Progress? Go play. Summer classes got graded? Beats me.

Only 6 weeks to regain academic eligibility seems like high school bullshit...

Oh that's right, it's West Virginia rules...

45 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Quarter system?

With no Texas Football this weekend, I watched the last couple of WVU games.  Posting observations here in the interests of conserving thread count and because this isn't a full-fledged write up. 

West Virginia is going to be severely outmanned on both sides of the LOS.  They did not trust the OL enough to run inside much against NC State or Kansas.  The vast majority of runs were outside the tackles - mostly stretch and jet sweep.  The little inside stuff they ran was either draws from a pass look and a few counter plays.  This is a big problem for the Mountaineers since the Texas DL will be the stoutest front they've seen and it's not close.  Kendall is only a moderate running threat and can't hurt a defense much if they account for him.  He's accurate in the short passing game but may not have a lot of time in the pocket unless they can establish a running threat.

On defense, West Virginia has a similar problem.  They've had trouble stopping the run and gave up a lot of 5+ yard plays so a good running game should be able to grind them down.  They're are basically playing 4-3 personnel up front with a couple of 290 lb DTs, a 250 lb DE and 240 lb stand up hybrid.  Both LBs are 220-230 and their nickel is about 200.  WVU relies on quickness to offset lack of size but they are facing an OL that is very good at locating smaller defenders in space.

I do like what Neal Brown is doing in coverage.  He is playing a lot of zone beind 3-4 men rushing.  He's got them dropping deep quickly, reading the QB and coming up aggressively to make the hit on the receivers.  It's a good strategy for the smaller, quicker guys he's likely to be able to recruit and it was very effective against NC State - producing 8 PBUs.  Much less so against Kansas and I think that was because KU had both a greater running threat and a QB capable of delivering the ball early instead of waiting until the receivers were clearly open, thus giving more time for the DBs to react.  With the mismatch on both sides of the line it shouldn't matter much to Texas this year.  It's definitely something to watch for the future as this looks like another scheme that can give pass-heavy teams fits once it matures.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 2:07 PM, sushihorn said:

Kendall is only a moderate running threat and can't hurt a defense much if they account for him.

I'm flashing back to some games where we got completely gashed by mobile quarterbacks (that nobody considered to be mobile quarterbacks until they played us).