The Kids Are Alright

RPM

Anyone watching this on ABC? It's a Wonder Years style show about a family with 8 boys growing up in the 70's. Mary McCormack and Michael Cudlitz are Mom & Dad. The boys were well cast, too. It's pretty damned funny and well written.

I had very low expectations for this show and was stunned how good it was. The parents are a riot. Several laugh out loud moments every episode. The microwave ep was great. Dad was so excited when the egg exploded. What can we blow up next?!?! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night was the best episode yet. Dad was really into what was going to be an epic episode of Carson until Mom brought out the mouthwash. Then priorities rapidly changed. I'll never watch a Scope commercial the same way again.

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

It is a great show.  Very funny.  Mary McCormack kills it.  Great casting of the kids.

And the girlfirend Wendi is smoke.

I was just going to post that "With 8 sons, the prospect for hot female interests passing through the show on a regular basis is pretty high for the entire run of the show."

Oh to be a casting director/producer on this show...

...especially if you were actually casting/producing this show back in the '70s when the rules were much different.

On 2/13/2019 at 2:22 AM, Napoleon said:

I was just going to post that "With 8 sons, the prospect for hot female interests passing through the show on a regular basis is pretty high for the entire run of the show."

Oh to be a casting director/producer on this show...

...especially if you were actually casting/producing this show back in the '70s when the rules were much different.

Hey Weinstein, glad you made it to the board. Did you really bang Jennifer Lawrence?

The kids are hilarious. The one who sucks up slays me.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another great episode. Looks like the writers (or I) have finally figured out Mom is the central character and all stories revolve around her. The story time warp worked well.  They need to figure out some quick future storylines to get backstory footage of the smaller kids before they grow up. You can cheat a few years on teens, but preteen is hard to fudge.

Caleb Foote is great as Eddie and he definitely doesn't deserve Wendi , but I'm rooting for him.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Michael Cudlitz is apologizing to fans of The Kids Are Alright after ABC blamed the show’s cancellation, at least in part, on viewers — or the lack thereof.

“Seriously, @abc. Just say ‘no comment.’ This is just rude. I apologize to the @TheKidsABC fandom on behalf of @abc. Smfh,” wrote the actor, who played Mike Cleary on the show during its two-season run.

Cudlitz’ comments come in response to ABC president Karey Burke telling reporters at the Television Critics Assoc. on Monday that “there did not seem to be a strong enough fan base” to renew the show.

“The Kids Are Alright was a good show — I liked [it], personally,” she said.  “It was not that it didn’t fit my personal vision for the network. It was that we really looked at it… from a ratings perspective, and we just did not see enough upside.

Leading up to the finale of the show’s first season, it was averaging an 0.87 in the demo, which was stronger than other ABC comedies like black-ish, Splitting Up Together, Fresh Off the Boat, Speechless and Bless This Mess, according to TV Line.

Cudlitz and actress Mary McCormack headlined the series, a family sitcom set in the 1970s. It centered on a brash Irish-Catholic clan of eight kids and kicks off when the eldest son returns home from seminary, only to reveal to his proud parents that he’s thinking of giving it up.

“It gets people thinking in a new and different way,” Cudlitz told EW about the show last year.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/08/06/michael-cudlitz-apologizes-fans-abcs-rude-comments-kids-are-alright-cancellation/

I really wish somebody would pick this up. It was better than most of the schlock Netflix and Amazon greenlight. Mary McCormack and Mike Cudlitz were gold as Mom and Dad. The kids were excellent casting, too. But, kids being kids there's a limited lifespan for shooting. If it isn't picked up fast they'd have to scrap or recast, which would ruin the magic.

The way they fleshed out Mary McCormack's role was brilliant. Mom was an evil genius with a heart of Catholic gold. Cudlitz was gold as "I'm working to support you" Dad. It was in that Wonder Years/The Goldbergs vein, family friendly and the scripts were excellent. 

Edited by RPM