Star Trek: The USS Orville season 2 (Dec 30)

atomheartbevo

Yeah it was much better than the critics gave it credit for, got better as it went along, and ended up being funny as hell.

And I'm a guy that like Discovery as well(for some reason you had to like one and hate the other)

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Yeah it was much better than the critics gave it credit for, got better as it went along, and ended up being funny as hell.

And I'm a guy that like Discovery as well(for some reason you had to like one and hate the other)

I liked them both. So there.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Not uncommon from people I've talked to. But all over YouTube and Social Media it was basically a choice you had to make.  Discovery fans trashed Orville, and Orville fans trashed Discovery.

I’ve seen those types. I think some of it was misplaced anger at CBS/Paramount (no TNG spinoffs after DS9, etc.). And there were purists upset at JJ Abrams over the current Trek movie universe who were in the mix.  

It’s not helped that Robert Duncan McNeill, Jonathan Frankes, and Brannon Braga have directed episodes   

The Orville haters should be grateful as hell - they are ow getting a new, more humorous series, plus a Picard series   Basically the things Orville was paying homage to   

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2018 at 6:48 PM, DougO said:

Please remove the words "Star Trek" from this abomination.

DougO has a point. This isn't part of the ST universe. But the female Doc must be related to James Tiberius Kirk. She's really in to screwing aliens.

• Like 2

This is probably second to only Seinfeld for a quality series that started with absolutely horrifically bad pilot episodes. After that first Orville episode I didn't come back to the rest of the series for over a year because it was so bad.

It started getting a little better then boom episode 4 was one of the best sci fi episodes of any show in a long ass time. The episode with the two dimensional space anomaly was also quality. Just sucks they're replacing Alara but when the actress is screwing the series creator/lead and it doesn't work out that's what's gonna happen. 

She shat where she ate. 

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

This is probably second to only Seinfeld for a quality series that started with absolutely horrifically bad pilot episodes. After that first Orville episode I didn't come back to the rest of the series for over a year because it was so bad.

It started getting a little better then boom episode 4 was one of the best sci fi episodes of any show in a long ass time. The episode with the two dimensional space anomaly was also quality. Just sucks they're replacing Alara but when the actress is screwing the series creator/lead and it doesn't work out that's what's gonna happen. 

She shat where she ate. 

Parks & Rec had numerous horrible early episodes-- it started off much worse than Orville IMO.

And is that what happened to Alara?  A shame.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

It may not be ST but it’s closest thing to old school TNG

I agree. Really like the show. Not every episode is a 10, but there are very few, if any, 2's.

Didn't know the backstory on Alana. So... defeated?

23 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm continually surprised that MacFarlane doesn't screw it up, but they manage to mix just the right amount of humor with old school Trek to make it work most of the time. I'd forgotten it started back up and am now catching back up on Hulu.

I keep thinking he might, but there's two things working in favor of him not screwing it up:

1. This is the series he's been wanting to make for years

2. Most importantly: There are a shit-ton of former Star Trek cast and crew who are both in front of, and more importantly, behind the cameras.  It feels like just about every episode has some well-known Star Trek cast/crew either directing, producing, or writing (and sometimes in two or all three of those), and that's not getting into special effects, camera, etc.

I've read a few interviews with some of these people, and they were all wanting to get back into Star Trek at some point, but never got the call, and then here comes Seth and Fox saying "hey, let's make some Star Trek, but we can't call it Star Trek" and they all hopped on board.  It's even been hinted that some episodes were based on ST scripts that never made it to filming because shows were canceled.

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm continually surprised that MacFarlane doesn't screw it up

Mega this. He's done an outstanding job of reining in his usual schtick. AHB hit some good points. This is a dream project for Seth and he dearly doesn't want to screw it up. Doing so would cause him to lose major face with his ST friends. That would crush his soul. I honestly think it's his best on screen performance.

Now, something I haven't seen addressed. Does Orville's engine configuration look like the Rolling Stones logo on purpose?

orville-spaceship-1450184.jpg?r=15336460

stones2.jpg

Edited by RPM

I think one of the things that makes this work so well is the ability to run a gag with a mostly straight face. Like a whole episode about a guy going to pee somewhere special. Yeah, they make a few jokes at first, but then pretend it's totally normal. That's something that is missing from modern comedy, or just film in general. When was the last time somebody made an awesome movie about a bouncer who save the whole town? Or a former football star F dot B dot I dot agent who takes down a gang of surfers who rob banks?

Mega this. He's done an outstanding job of reining in his usual schtick. AHB hit some good points. This is a dream project for Seth and he dearly doesn't want to screw it up. Doing so would cause him to lose major face with his ST friends. That would crush his soul. I honestly think it's his best on screen performance.
Now, something I haven't seen addressed. Does Orville's engine configuration look like the Rolling Stones logo on purpose?
orville-spaceship-1450184.jpg?r=1533646072734
stones2.jpg
Yes

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, RPM said:

It's not Star Trek. 

Snark Trek. Seth is enjoying this a lot. And the numerous ST vets behind the scenes are helping to make this awesome. Legit feel like I’m watching a modern TNG reboot sometimes. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Snark Trek. Seth is enjoying this a lot. And the numerous ST vets behind the scenes are helping to make this awesome. Legit feel like I’m watching a modern TNG reboot sometimes. 

I have a theory, and it could very well be wrong, but anyways, I have a theory that without Orville, we wouldn't be getting a new Picard series.  All of the ST veterans who are behind the scenes, combined with all of the TNG fans who have latched onto the Orville (some of whom have rejected Discovery) has drawn a lot of interest and scrutiny over at Paramount/CBS.

There's no way Paramount/CBS weren't sitting there going "holy shit, a lot of people still like TNG."  The best way to try and reel in those TNG fans it not with a reboot, but with somebody from the original cast, and while I would have preferred Worf, I think that's why we are getting Picard.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Bullseye. Seth is drawing from a lot of sci-fi heavyweights while keeping the series "gender neutral".  I'm sure they are using parody to keep from getting sued for the obvious similarities, but just to be clear, The Orville does not exist in the ST universe. It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether.

Edited by RPM

I've watch it since it first aired.  Obvious TNG feel to it with humor and real life mixed in.  I'm not surprised that some of the episodes were based on un-aired Star Trek episodes.

Some of the season 2 episodes were duds but overall, it is a strong series.  This latest 2 part story has been great.  Hope they renew it for season 3.

Side note: I really like Discovery too.  Happy that we are getting two good sci-fi shows right now with the expanse coming back on Amazon as well.