Caravan

gsoda3

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

arguing "you can't help these people because of this other group of people over here" is no way to live your life, man. 

True.  But more than that, it's not even an honest response.  The argument of "I have no problem with legal immigration, I have a problem with illegal immigration" gets pooped out onto Twitter by Trump, gets eaten up by his target audience, and then they regurgitate it verbatim.

I wish someone with an (R) next to his name would just be honest.  Trump has brilliantly (and despicably) tapped into something that will get his base to the polls like nothing else will.  Fear.  This isn't about legal vs. illegal immigration.  This is about brown people INVADING our country.  This is about black people hating the flag and freedom.  This is about white America losing its grip of complete and total control.  Sending our armed military to aggressively confront a group of people willingly surrendering and seeking refuge, something that has been taking place for 20 years?  This doesn't pass the smell test, yet here we are.  And millions of people believe it because they've allowed themselves to be guided by fear and fear alone.

I've never voted for a Democrat in my life that I can recall.  Watching everyone up and down the GOP put party affiliation over basic human decency has me completely out on them.  Maybe forever.  Who knows.  

Edited by Horn21
  • Like 7

The majority won't qualify for asylum.  Mexico's not going to want them there indefinitely but we're not letting them in.  No one seems to have even a proposal for what we should do.  What's the best way forward? 

This will play out exactly like it does every single year when the caravan “thing” happens.

3 hours ago, F250 said:

We definitely broke Central America and should help fix it.

Is this true?   I recognize we interfered.  Did our interference make the daily lives of their citizens worse by deposing leftist regimes?   Did it make it better?  Or make no difference.  

Venezuelans probably wish we would have done more to stop Chavez and Maduro. 

Isnt there at least some possibility those places would have been fucked as bad or regardless of American imperialism.  

I get that everyone has a severe case of NIMBY and that America is supposed to not, but wouldn't it make more sense for cultural assimilation and immersion to have the caravan disperse in Mexico? Assuming the language is the same (Spanish) with maybe a bit of dialect learning curve, a Hondorian I'd imagine can easier pass as a Mexican than an American. Though I think Honduras is modern day Mayan land, so the ancient blood there had people looking different than the Aztecs/Mexicans.

Just now, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I get that everyone has a severe case of NIMBY and that America is supposed to not, but wouldn't it make more sense for cultural assimilation and immersion to have the caravan disperse in Mexico? Assuming the language is the same (Spanish) with maybe a bit of dialect learning curve, a Hondorian I'd imagine can easier pass as a Mexican than an American. Though I think Honduras is modern day Mayan land, so the ancient blood there had people looking different than the Aztecs/Mexicans.

Cookie's mask slips more and more all the time. The white hood is starting to poke out.

What is "an American"?

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Cookie's mask slips more and more all the time. The white hood is starting to poke out.

What is "an American"?

Sorry, I should have said "stereotypical Mexican" and "stereotypical Anglo-American" because you are a bad faith poster who nitpicks super granule distinctions from others (when if you read for meaning, you'd be able to infer) while providing none of your own (except to call people racists).

Let me rephrase the point for you:

The typical Honduran in the caravan has more, culturally, in common with the typical Mexican than the typical Anglo-American (and even Mexican-American if we are to believe the personas and VOC given on these threads that come up as justification as to why Beto can't excite/motivate the border votes and how Mexican-Americans are for the wall and are racist and vote R, etc.)

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Sorry, I should have said "stereotypical Mexican" and "stereotypical Anglo-American" because you are a bad faith poster who nitpicks super granule distinctions from others (when if you read for meaning, you'd be able to infer) while providing none of your own (except to call people racists).

"American" and "Anglo-American" are not interchangeable terms. Texas is 33% non-Hispanic white and 48% Hispanic of any race. You want to substitute what is 33% of the state's population for what constitutes "an American", which is racist and ignorant.

The typical Honduran in the caravan has more, culturally, in common with the typical Mexican than the typical Anglo-American (and even Mexican-American if we are to believe the personas and VOC given on these threads that come up as justification as to why Beto can't excite/motivate the border votes and how Mexican-Americans are for the wall and are racist and vote R, etc.)

Why do you believe this? What is your in-road into Honduran/Mexican social culture?

(It's because they're brown and you think "American" = "white".)

The people in the caravan do not belong more in Mexico than they do here. Just stop digging.

16 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Though I think Honduras is modern day Mayan land, so the ancient blood there had people looking different than the Aztecs/Mexicans.

Honduras has a little Mayan territory; the plurality is in Mexico. Mayan territory also includes all of modern Guatemala and Belize, about half of El Salvador, and a small portion of Honduras.

Ancient-Maya-Civilization-map.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

"American" and "Anglo-American" are not interchangeable terms. Texas is 33% non-Hispanic white and 48% Hispanic of any race. You want to substitute what is 33% of the state's population for what constitutes "an American", which is racist and ignorant.

Why do you believe this? What is your in-road into Honduran/Mexican social culture?

(It's because they're brown and you think "American" = "white".)

The people in the caravan do not belong more in Mexico than they do here. Just stop digging.

The racial diversity of the Texan population is currently at 74.8% Caucasian, 11.9% African American, 5.8% other races, 4.4% Asian, 2.5% two or more races, and .5% Native North Americans.

The racial diversity of the Texan population is currently at 74.8% Caucasian, 11.9% African American, 5.8% other races, 4.4% Asian, 2.5% two or more races, and .5% Native North Americans.

Where would Hondurans be slotted in that breakdown?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

So you think something less than 5.8% of the Texas population is Hispanic?

bad_teammate already gave you the answer. The people who you think are Hispanics and brown so they would assimilate better in Mexico are Caucasian in your breakdown.

43 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Is this true?   I recognize we interfered.  Did our interference make the daily lives of their citizens worse by deposing leftist regimes?   Did it make it better?  Or make no difference.  

Isnt there at least some possibility those places would have been fucked as bad or regardless of American imperialism.  

I would wager that each country in Central America has it's own challenges, but you can see that states there CAN work. Costa Rica should be an example that the rest of the region looks toward. I have no idea how that could be implemented, but I'd be willing to pay a few more tax dollars to try and assist if throwing money at it would help.

This has some good ideas

Acosta, Pablo., Almeida, Rita, Gindling, Thomas, and Lao Pena, Christine. Toward More Efficient and Effective Public Social Spending in Central America.Directions in Development;Directions in Development - Human Development. Washington, D. C.: World Bank Publications, 2017.

Edited by SimonBolivar

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So you think something less than 5.8% of the Texas population is Hispanic?

bad_teammate already gave you the answer. The people who you think are Hispanics and brown so they would assimilate better in Mexico are Caucasian in your breakdown.

I guess for me it goes back again to what I stated as a cultural difference that presents beyond the color of skin. I mentioned a couple I thought of that make Mexico a more natural landing place than America for 5000 Hondurans looking for a better life:

• The national language is one that they either currently speak or could pick up with less difficulty, easing assimilation into a tax-paying, productive life
  • Mexican-Americans/Hispanic-Americans typically identify more with white-trash anglo americans in their immigration beliefs and desire to have you live amongst them (if the profiles/personas/VOC are to be believed that crop up when people ask things like, Why is Beto not getting more latino support, etc.). Maybe the same thing exists in Mexico and Hondurans are bottom barrel castes in any country not Honduras, I don't know.
  • Mexico is 2000 miles shorter of a walk with your 9 month at your hip.

Okay, but I think what we're wondering right now is what point you were trying to make with this information:

12 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Using the United States categorization system, Honduras is 98% white and 2% black. I'm not sure on this but I don't believe that the United States recognizes any Honduran tribes as eligible for Native American classification.

Edited by Huckleberry

8 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I would wager that each country in Central America has it's own challenges, but you can see that states there CAN work. Costa Rica should be an example that the rest of the region looks toward. I have no idea how that could be implemented, but I'd be willing to pay a few more tax dollars to try and assist if throwing money at it would help.

This has some good ideas

Acosta, Pablo., Almeida, Rita, Gindling, Thomas, and Lao Pena, Christine. Toward More Efficient and Effective Public Social Spending in Central America.Directions in Development;Directions in Development - Human Development. Washington, D. C.: World Bank Publications, 2017.

You responded to my post.  But your post isn’t responsive to my post.  

I guess for me it goes back again to what I stated as a cultural difference that presents beyond the color of skin. I mentioned a couple I thought of that make Mexico a more natural landing place than America for 5000 Hondurans looking for a better life:

• The national language is one that they either currently speak or could pick up with less difficulty, easing assimilation into a tax-paying, productive life
  • Mexican-Americans/Hispanic-Americans typically identify more with white-trash anglo americans in their immigration beliefs and desire to have you live amongst them (if the profiles/personas/VOC are to be believed that crop up when people ask things like, Why is Beto not getting more latino support, etc.). Maybe the same thing exists in Mexico and Hondurans are bottom barrel castes in any country not Honduras, I don't know.
  • Mexico is 2000 miles shorter of a walk with your 9 month at your hip.

A few things here. 

1.) Southern Mexico is very poor compared to anywhere in the United States and setting up shop as the poorest new kid in Chiapas is much more difficult than setting up shop in Houston or LA.

2.) There are a ton of places in the United States where you can get by without any English

3.) The NGOs and other groups that support Mexican-Americans are not in agreement with your 2nd point

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

They consider it to be at least partially our fault. I don't really care as much about culpability, but rather more about can we help fix it.

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Okay, but I think what we're wondering right now is what point you were trying to make with this information:

That non-white Anglo-American Caucasians and anglo-americans Caucasians are bucketed the same because they are more alike then Honduran nationals.

Bad_teammate took issue to my saying "Hondurans would probably assimilate easier and better and more closely resemble a Mexican than an American". He then posted a breakdown of demographics and I assume he was trying to make the point I was wrong because there are a lot of non-anglo's in Texas (the presumed landing spot of the Hondurans). My point was to show that, while he's right nominally, it doesn't make a material difference and that the argument that Mexico is a more natural landing pad for them than America is still valid.

At the end of the day, I could not care less. Bring them, don't bring them, whatever. I won't see an increase in what I pay based off 5000 Hondurans and I likely won't live among them to know if they are great guys and gals or bad hombres. I'll likely have a direct impact of about 0 befall me, good or bad. Ultimately I think we as a country need to face the music and decide: Are we a nation that honors the Statue of Liberty mantra and we want a ton of immigration and refugees or have we changed our mind. Whatever the choice, we should declare our intentions and be transparent because right now you have a lot of confusion around it.

Even though the US has played a clear and indisputable role in the escalation of violence in Honduras since the US sanctioned coup in 2009, unless you can prove that in an alternative universe things would be better in alternative universe Honduras than they are today in our current universe, then the US deserves no blame and owes nothing to those fleeing violence from that country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

your post doesn't warrant a serious reply as it is either a) not serious, or b) devoid of any knowledge regarding this history of the role of the united states in central and south america for many, many decades.

our involvement there did not begin by endorsing and providing for the war crimes of the contras or propping a murderer like pinochet in chile.

do a little research into the united fruit company and the banana wars.  you of all people should know plenty about it.

it also did not end with the contras.  perhaps some information regarding the 2009 coup in honduras would be enlightening to you as well.

Edited by sidis

This has some good ideas

Costa Rica works because they've dumped money into education and medicine, not a military. They know the US has their back because white people like to go zip lining through the jungle for selfie likes. Nicaragua on the other hand. When you land in Managua the runway is surrounded by manned anti aircraft guns. Very comforting.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

We fought a proxy war with the Soviets in that region. Had the Soviets been successful we wouldn't be having this conversation. Asylum would have been be granted to people from these areas so they wouldn't have suffered under a communist authoritarian regime. Since we won the people suffered under U.S. backed authoritarian regime.

Since the current situation is a byproduct of our adventures in Central America we have a responsibility to help the people left in our wake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horn21 said:

True.  But more than that, it's not even an honest response.  The argument of "I have no problem with legal immigration, I have a problem with illegal immigration" gets pooped out onto Twitter by Trump, gets eaten up by his target audience, and then they regurgitate it verbatim.

I wish someone with an (R) next to his name would just be honest.  Trump has brilliantly (and despicably) tapped into something that will get his base to the polls like nothing else will.  Fear.  This isn't about legal vs. illegal immigration.  This is about brown people INVADING our country.  This is about black people hating the flag and freedom.  This is about white America losing its grip of complete and total control.  Sending our armed military to aggressively confront a group of people willingly surrendering and seeking refuge, something that has been taking place for 20 years?  This doesn't pass the smell test, yet here we are.  And millions of people believe it because they've allowed themselves to be guided by fear and fear alone.

I've never voted for a Democrat in my life that I can recall.  Watching everyone up and down the GOP put party affiliation over basic human decency has me completely out on them.  Maybe forever.  Who knows.  

Great post. I hope your wrong re being out on Republicans forever, I'm probably being a little too much rainbows and unicorns, but my hope is the Trump GOP experiment ends in utter failure and pushes the party back to the Reagan/HW Bush center, a moderate Republican party will be necessary to combat the Democrats if they keeps moving left. My hope is that the future GOP reflects Mitt Romney and not Steve King. I'll be there waiting with my vote if they can ever move back in that direction, until then though, vote them out, all of them. 

44 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

This has some good ideas

Read more  

Costa Rica works because they've dumped money into education and medicine, not a military. They know the US has their back because white people like to go zip lining through the jungle for selfie likes. Nicaragua on the other hand. When you land in Managua the runway is surrounded by manned anti aircraft guns. Very comforting.

Costa Rica wasn't one of the nation's where we were fighting a proxy war. Costa Rica and Panama didn't go through the destabilization like Nicaragua, Honduras, and El Salvador. It seems to be more than a coincidence that the CA nations that were destabilized turned out (post cold war) more shitty than the ones that did not.

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

Costa Rica wasn't one of the nation's where we were fighting a proxy war. Costa Rica and Panama didn't go through the destabilization like Nicaragua, Honduras, and El Salvador. It seems to be more than a coincidence that the CA nations that were destabilized turned out (post cold war) more shitty than the ones that did not.

Panama had Noriega 

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Panama had Noriega 

They did but they were not subject to the proxy war. There weren't competing paramilitary forces roaming the country nor was the Panamanian government in constant upheaval.

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Even though the US has played a clear and indisputable role in the escalation of violence in Honduras since the US sanctioned coup in 2009, unless you can prove that in an alternative universe things would be better in alternative universe Honduras than they are today in our current universe, then the US deserves no blame and owes nothing to those fleeing violence from that country.

lol look at this

this is amazing

"Look lady, how do you know your life wouldn't have been worse if I HADN'T raped you at that party? Ever think of that!?"

The Party of Personal Responsibility

I’m pretty liberal and believe in much better social services than we currently provide. I work in public education and they system in Texas and most southern states is drastically underfunded in terms of keeping up with growth (varies somewhat by district). CPS is a giant abortion with caseloads so big they can’t do their jobs. We have very few mental health services. Heathcare is a joke if you don’t have insurance with people sitting in the ER getting care in the most expensive way possible. I’m not scared of browns and would have no problem working with and living around more Hispanic people.

With all of that being said, it’s really hard to imagine what these underfunded systems would look like with a large influx of poor people. I’m afraid that we would get the people but continue to fund services and bad or even worse levels. Look at the current leadership running the state of Texas. I’ll be the first to admit that I have no answers and really feel for these people that want a better life. The whole situation is shit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The typical Honduran in the caravan has more, culturally, in common with the typical Mexican than the typical Anglo-American 

Is the USA only made up of Anglo Americans? Maybe in the 50s but that American (thank god) no longer exists. Welcome to 2018, you can leave your hood at the door. I’m American and I have a shit load more in common with them than I do with you. Your post is naive at best and ridiculously antiquated in general. 

You’re like the modern version of the Chevy truck commercial in the 90s, that was all “for Americans by Americans  American made rah rah rah” and every single one of the 20 people shown on it was white. Fuck that subtle racism bullshit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Is the USA only made up of Anglo Americans? Maybe in the 50s but that American (thank god) no longer exists. Welcome to 2018, you can leave your hood at the door. I’m American and I have a shit load more in common with them than I do with you. Your post is naive at best and ridiculously antiquated in general. 

You’re like the modern version of the Chevy truck commercial in the 90s, that was all “for Americans by Americans  American made rah rah rah” and every single one of the 20 people shown on it was white. Fuck that subtle racism bullshit.

Alllrrrrrrighty Then.

9 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Either make Honduras a whole lot better, or the US a whole lot worse.

Correct answer.  

You might have notice the amount of mass migration in the last 10 years.  People pick up and leave everything behind when they're really desperate.  Climate change will only make it worse.  

7 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

The Caravan is an annual event. Why is this year’s so much more of a drastic event, especially given the tight labor market and rising inflation?

They should just say they're going to Burning Man or something.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

The Caravan is an annual event. Why is this year’s so much more of a drastic event, especially given the tight labor market and rising inflation?

Was reading that Alex Jones freaked out it about last time but didn't get enough mainstream conservatives to bite, but this time around Trump and FNC jumped on it as a talking point for the midterms.

16 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Correct answer.  

You might have notice the amount of mass migration in the last 10 years.  People pick up and leave everything behind when they're really desperate.  Climate change will only make it worse.  

This is really what we should be discussing right now honestly, but we live in a county where a huge number of college educated people actually believe humans aren't driving global warming.

Edited by GSU&UT
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Alllrrrrrrighty Then.

I should elaborate. Just bc the caravan walker  doesn’t have that much in common with Anglo americans, does that nullify what they do have in common with millions of Latino Americans? Why do you put so much value into their lack of commonality with whites and devalue his commonality with millions of other Americans?

just reading other posts. Still, your America doesn’t exist.. literally. My Mexican culture adds to what is America, changes it, as will every other immigrant that comes after us. So In a way my America won’t exist in fifty years either. To paraphrase Jefferson, the country belongs to the living. But hate to tell you the America you think exists, doesnt

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Dark-skinned Mexicans and especially Central Americans are largely looked at as dogshit by fair-skinned Mexicans & the upper class in Mexico, and get treated as such. I was exposed to this myself as a child, as my great-aunts from Mexico blatantly told me that I was their favorite baby because I looked very white. They even told my darker-complected cousins and sister that they liked me more than them. Watch any TV program or telenovela in Mexico and see how well dark-skinned people are represented. Even with all the racists and hate here in America, this is arguably a more welcoming place to those in the caravan than Mexico would be. Many Mexicans would laugh in your face if you told them they had anything in common with a Honduran other than a language and religion. 

And fuck over the people who have been legally applying to the US for asylum, visas, and or citizenship... Yep emotionalism every time with you.

I doubt you care about them either. Make laws punishing industries that hire them? Or wake up and realize that this discussion is simply a dog whistle for morons now that fiscal responsibility cannot be discussed without everyone laughing.

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Dark-skinned Mexicans and especially Central Americans are largely looked at as dogshit by fair-skinned Mexicans & the upper class in Mexico, and get treated as such. I was exposed to this myself as a child, as my great-aunts from Mexico blatantly told me that I was their favorite baby because I looked very white. They even told my darker-complected cousins and sister that they liked me more than them. Watch any TV program or telenovela in Mexico and see how well dark-skinned people are represented. Even with all the racists and hate here in America, this is arguably a more welcoming place to those in the caravan than Mexico would be. Many Mexicans would laugh in your face if you told them they had anything in common with a Honduran other than a language and religion. 

Oatmeal Raisin is the same guy that said whites in San Antonio are more likely to fear the caravan because they are afraid of not being the majority anymore, in San Antonio.

46 minutes ago, F250 said:

Oatmeal Raisin is the same guy that said whites in San Antonio are more likely to fear the caravan because they are afraid of not being the majority anymore, in San Antonio.

Did I say that though? You are not telling truths here my friend!

To the other guys points, I allowed that there was probably some racist caste system that I wasn't accounting for that probably made it less than ideal for Hondurans. Perhaps Mexico is more racist and unforgiving of other brown people than America, that would be an interesting talking point and one which would justify the criticisms of Mexico greasing a path to Texas so these lesser-than-them's (in their cultural opinion) wouldn't stay. I don't think that is likely the case and that for all the warts, Mexico is probably a more familiar and welcoming landing spot then mainstream Texas. But perhaps I'm wrong, and if so, great. More power to everyone.

Edited by Guest