Caravan

gsoda3

1 minute ago, mchookem said:

with 10-15K armed military at the border and a good portion of the populace heavily armed and stirred into panic over 'invasion'...am i wrong to worry that an errant shot is going to trigger something horrible?

this is just a terrible idea

I agree. Outsized responses to things are foolish, on..........wait for it...............BOTH SIDES / ALL SIDES of issues. This outsized response is on the side of the deplorables yet again though, so...pretty much par for the course.

Edited by Guest

On 10/26/2018 at 5:42 PM, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Probably white people in Texas (especially SATX) have concerns about illegals and minority majority’s than most other communities though. Have some empathy for your racist uncle and js1’s idiot mom (his words, not mine).

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying here.

6 hours ago, F250 said:

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying here.

Yes you did. Hugo shared his racist white uncle in San Antonio who listens to Fox News or whatever has fear and anxiety about caravan (among other “economic” fears and anxieties I’d guess).

my point was that perhaps if you are of the racist mind to begin with and you live in a place you as the racist white guy are the minority (read: live in a minority majority locale), perhaps he has firsthand experience of issues like the caravan that make him act out in such a way.

Mickey : The deal was you bought it like you saw it. Hey, look, I've helped you as much as I'm going to help you. See that car? Just use it for you're not welcome anymore. You should fuck off now while you still got the legs to carry you.

Gorgeous George : Nobody...

Mickey : Nobody brings a fella the size of you unless they're trying to say something without talking, right boy?

Tommy : Sorry, Mickey. Just give our money back and you can keep the caravan.

Mickey : Why the fuck do I want a caravan that's got no fucking wheels?

22 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

really, i think it's fundamentally time to address WHY these people are in the caravan.

That would require self-reflection, and that's not our strong suit.

22 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

these people legitimately fear death and reprisal in their homeland. if there was ever a more clear-cut case for asylum, i'm not sure i've seen it recently. 

Again, that would require abandoning ethnocentrism, and for the great bulk of just the posters here (forget the country for a moment), that's a biological impossibility.

• Like 1

My brother works at a bank here in San Antonio where most of the employees are white conservatives.  They used to only have Fox News playing in the lobby/break room until recently but some are still loyal to them.  Well one of the international officers (handles clients coming from Mexico) went to Monterrey for business.  Well one of the supposed "Fox News is the only reliable news source" loan officers asked him when he got back if he "saw the caravan" or if he "ran into them".  She is the exactly the type of people that FoxNews thrives off of and still back Trump until the death.  SAD

14 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

This is really what we should be discussing right now honestly, but we live in a county where a huge number of college educated people actually believe humans aren't driving global warming.

Yep.  Unfortunately we won't be discussing this until it is too late.  Has to be a full on crisis and have Americans dying before we will start having this conversation, let alone acting.

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

Dark-skinned Mexicans and especially Central Americans are largely looked at as dogshit by fair-skinned Mexicans & the upper class in Mexico, and get treated as such. I was exposed to this myself as a child, as my great-aunts from Mexico blatantly told me that I was their favorite baby because I looked very white. They even told my darker-complected cousins and sister that they liked me more than them. Watch any TV program or telenovela in Mexico and see how well dark-skinned people are represented. Even with all the racists and hate here in America, this is arguably a more welcoming place to those in the caravan than Mexico would be. Many Mexicans would laugh in your face if you told them they had anything in common with a Honduran other than a language and religion. 

I have less experience in this than you, but I worked with a pretty diverse group for a bit. Everyone got along mostly when we were working, but the Mexicans talked down on the ‘salvadories” regularly.  The salvadories and nicuraguans seemed cool to each other iirc.  They all talked shit about the black dudes working there.  

OMG white Americans aren’t the only racists, hard to believe I know.  

That’s my only experience with it really, other than when I worked and lived in Mexico for a year, they thought it was the funniest shit of all time when Obama was re-elected. “N-presidente”  (well majate (sp?))was the nomenclature from them in the office. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DaysOff said:
21 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:
I would wager that each country in Central America has it's own challenges, but you can see that states there CAN work. Costa Rica should be an example that the rest of the region looks toward. I have no idea how that could be implemented, but I'd be willing to pay a few more tax dollars to try and assist if throwing money at it would help.

This has some good ideas

Acosta, Pablo., Almeida, Rita, Gindling, Thomas, and Lao Pena, Christine. Toward More Efficient and Effective Public Social Spending in Central America.Directions in Development;Directions in Development - Human Development. Washington, D. C.: World Bank Publications, 2017.

Costa Rica works because they've dumped money into education and medicine, not a military. They know the US has their back because white people like to go zip lining through the jungle for selfie likes. Nicaragua on the other hand. When you land in Managua the runway is surrounded by manned anti aircraft guns. Very comforting.

Well, there’s that and the fact that China has pumped a ton of money into Costa Rica. That factor, the tech boom there, and the rise of an actual middle class has all happened within the last 15 years and it’s been really evident over about the last 7 years. Nicas and Ticos hate each other.

I’m fascinated by the logistics of it all. 7,000 is a fucking lot of people walking a long ass way. Marching this number of people this far with no vehicles is an 18th century military type endeavor. How are they getting food and water? Where do they sleep at night? Not to be insensitive but I hope it’s being documented.

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

(well majate (sp?))was the nomenclature from them in the office. 

I think it's mayate or mallate, my google servants are arguing about it down it the google pit.

In America it seems to mean black person. It's really the word for june bug. I learned it for the bug while standing outside my house in Mexico. Then when I was at school I said it again when I saw another june bug. The kids fell about the place laughing. "TEEEEcher, "mayate" means the man, he like to do it with the other man," as in buggery. They didn't mention race down there though they would pop an N-bomb in total innocence because that's what the funny black man said in the funny American movie.

I wonder if there is some precise spot in northern Mexico where mayate means both things. Wut wut, in the butt.

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m fascinated by the logistics of it all. 7,000 is a fucking lot of people walking a long ass way. Marching this number of people this far with no vehicles is an 18th century military type endeavor. How are they getting food and water? Where do they sleep at night? Not to be insensitive but I hope it’s being documented.

Mostly churches and such.

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I don't think all 7K will make it to the border. I heard on CNN that they were expecting around 1,500 to continue all the way through Mexico to the border. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/no-buses-for-now-weary-caravan-migrants-set-to-resume-march/2018/10/31/f6f89e5e-dd7d-11e8-8bac-bfe01fcdc3a6_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1ebb313cd024

Worn down by days of long walks, many migrants have dropped out and returned home or applied for protected status in Mexico.

The initial caravan has shrunk significantly from its estimated peak of more than 7,000 migrants. A caravan last the spring ultimately fizzled to just about 200 people who reached the U.S. border at San Diego.

Mexican Interior Secretary Alfonso Navarrete Prida said about 2,300 migrants have applied to stay in Mexico under a government plan, and hundreds more have accepted assisted repatriation.

Edited by SimonBolivar

Mexicans are racist against Hondurans. They aint’ gonna help these refugees. 

The caravan crisis is the biggest joke of an attempt at political pandering I’ve ever seen. 15k well trained troops with automatic weapons sent to the border to keep out a couple thousand poor Hondurans, women and kids fleeing the crisis in their country that our country no doubt exacerbated? What a fucking waste.

You guys who worried about this are the biggest bunch of ignorant pussy’s the world has ever seen. Stop pissing in your Depends or were gonna tell HEB to stop selling them completely. 

And I realize this rant doesn’t apply to the vast majority of this board. But just like to tell the trolls who happen to be congregating here what a bunch of cowardly stupid dipshits they are anyway.  Spread the good word. 

What say you trolls? Care to retort? Speak out in favor of your orange God!!

Completely agree that it’s overblown and the military response is a spectacularly bad idea. If someone gets jumpy and pulls a trigger, God help us.

Upthread it was suggested we welcome them in and make them tax paying citizens. Wouldn’t that immediately put them at a competitive disadvantage vs illegal immigrants who can work for a lower wage and not pay taxes?

6 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Mexicans are racist against Hondurans. They aint’ gonna help these refugees. 

The caravan crisis is the biggest joke of an attempt at political pandering I’ve ever seen. 15k well trained troops with automatic weapons sent to the border to keep out a couple thousand poor Hondurans, women and kids fleeing the crisis in their country that our country no doubt exacerbated? What a fucking waste.

You guys who worried about this are the biggest bunch of ignorant pussy’s the world has ever seen. Stop pissing in your Depends or were gonna tell HEB to stop selling them completely. 

And I realize this rant doesn’t apply to the vast majority of this board. But just like to tell the trolls who happen to be congregating here what a bunch of cowardly stupid dipshits they are anyway.  Spread the good word. 

What say you trolls? Care to retort? Speak out in favor of your orange God!!

Yeah, but imagine how awesome that fleeing mother with her child feels knowing she is owning the Trumpkins right now.

They so mad!

17 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Completely agree that it’s overblown and the military response is a spectacularly bad idea. If someone gets jumpy and pulls a trigger, God help us.

Upthread it was suggested we welcome them in and make them tax paying citizens. Wouldn’t that immediately put them at a competitive disadvantage vs illegal immigrants who can work for a lower wage and not pay taxes?

let's make the illegal immigrants legal too, then. 

it's well within our power. we control the entire process of immigration into the united states of america.

Trump gonna be pissed about that.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/05/politics/chairman-joint-chiefs-soldiers-border-migrants/index.html

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford said Monday that the US military will not be "involved in the actual mission of denying people entry to the United States."

When asked about the border mission for active-duty troops, Dunford said the military will not be coming into contact with migrants traveling toward the border.

"There is no plan for US military forces to be involved in the actual mission of denying people entry to the United States," Dunford said, speaking at an event at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. "There is no plan for soldiers to come in contact with immigrants or to reinforce Department of Homeland Security as they're conducting their mission." 

"We are providing enabling capabilities," Dunford said, explaining they were tasked with supporting the DHS.

Mexico bit the bullet it sounds like, and it sounds like they do every year and this is no different despite it getting more courage. Mexico is the real MVP?

On 11/1/2018 at 10:09 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

ArtleS20181031_low.jpg

The caption should read: We were told liberty was free. Can’t you just ignore the Constitution and laws that we ignore?

Why are you protecting your country?

28 minutes ago, slorch said:

The caption should read: We were told liberty was free. Can’t you just ignore the Constitution and laws that we ignore?

Why are you protecting your country?

I agree.  What that cartoon needs is a rambling, incoherent caption lacking any wit.  Nice job!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I agree.  What that cartoon needs is a rambling, incoherent caption lacking any wit.  Nice job!

The men hiding behind the child are quite brave...

Nice shot at our military doing their jobs.  Easy to hate.

#noborders

#nosovereignty

Edited by slorch

29 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

As pointed out earlier, seeking asylum is breaking no U.S. law. And we're not being attacked.

So they’re going to hang out in Mexico until access is granted?

Why is access assumed?

Edited by slorch

On 11/1/2018 at 3:39 PM, Buzzrock said:

Where are you getting your news?   There are trucks and buses moving just about everyone plus food and water.  This “trip” is certainly NOT organic.  Not even close.