Willie McCovey Dead at 80

bmbmd

The Reds used to hold Picture Day where you were allowed out onto the field in a roped off area in the outfield and both the Reds and visiting players would mingle out there for pics and shit.  We went when McCovey was a member of the Padres, may have been the biggest man I'd ever seen at that point in my life.  

Jay Jaffe's writeup was good:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/remembering-willie-mccovey-a-true-giant-of-a-man/https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/remembering-willie-mccovey-a-true-giant-of-a-man/

The 1962 World Series against the Yankees went seven games, but McCovey played only in the four that weren’t started by lefty Whitey Ford. He went 3-for-15, hitting a solo homer off Ralph Terry in a 2-0 Game Two victory and a two-out, seventh-inning triple, also against Terry, that went for naught in Game Seven, but his series performance is remembered most for the hit he didn’t get. In the bottom of the ninth, with the Yankees clinging to a 1-0 lead but Matty Alou at third base and Mays at second after doubling, McCovey faced Terry one more time. He hit a screaming line drive — but right to second baseman Bobby Richardson for the final out of the series.

PeanutsMcCovey.png

After McCovey was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1986 and asked how he’d like to be remembered, he said, “I’d like to be remembered as the guy who hit the ball over Bobby Richardson’s head in the seventh game.”

Edited by WBT