CrossFit

tbone_

I went for about 2 years until last year and enjoyed it for a while. It got to be more of a boot camp style since the owner had a regular gym as well. I’m 43 and learned not to try and keep up with the younger guys.

Class was at 6 Am so I did not hang out after or socialize with any of the other people.

Depends on your point of view.
I did P90 and it was okay but I like Olympic lifting more.
I’ve stayed in pretty good shape throughout the years so it really helped strengthening my base and cardio wise.

Started keto and dropped my bf down to below 13% so overall for me I’d say yes.

The main reason I left was the workout became dumb for someone my age. An example would be 1 mile run, 100 thrusters , 100 back squats, 100 waking lunges...for warmup. Well, that’s a full workout for me so I would be cashed out even if I finished it in the time allotted.
I’ll try out another place pretty soon but I’ve asked the owner a lot of questions on how he runs things. For now I’m back to a lot of the basics in a traditional gym.

Give it a go.

wife and i do it. we love it. i did have a shoulder impingement a couple of years ago that put me out of commission for a few months and that sucked.

i won't go workout on my own, so doing crossfit motivates me to go workout and once you're there people push you to finish

14 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Anyone have any direct experience to share, good or bad?

I’ve been doing p90x off and on since 2009 and looking to change it up a bit.

I’ve read/heard all the injury/cult psycho criticisms, so spare me all that stuff.

Well then you know everything you need to know.

If you like group workouts, I think it’s good. I’ve done CrossFit for about 5 years...it’s the only way I’ve been able to consistently get to a gym. To me, it’s a similar feel to the football workouts I did in high school so I enjoy it quite a bit more than solo work.

There’s a wide variance between gyms and it’s really up to the coaches as to how safe it will be. You get a bunch of moms and meatheads doing Olympic lifts at high intensity, and you’re asking for trouble without proper coaching.

That said, the two gyms I’ve gone to, the coaches were great at teaching and enforcing form, monitoring load to back down the meatheads asking for an injury, and varying programming to ensure you’re not overtaxing one muscle group. They typically focus on intensity over hitting prescribed weight/movement, so encourage scaling often. If you can’t do a movement or lift well, you’ll have a worse workout and you increase your chance of injury.

Biggest complaint is pairing heavy deadlifts with box jumps (or heavy dl in a time based workout period). That’s dumb and seems to be designed to fuck up your shins. My injuries have been limited to shin and hand tears.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I’ve read/heard all the injury/cult psycho criticisms, so spare me all that stuff.

3 hours ago, El Tri said:

once you're there people push you to finish

Here's the issue. The wrong box will peer pressure you into hurting yourself. Let's be real: we're now in our 30s and 40s and aren't pro athletes. We probably shouldn't be pushing beyond failure like we used to in our 20s. If you do it, be very aware of your limits. An injury now very well could be an injury forever for us. I'd rather be in good shape and get to run with my grandkids than be in great shape for 10 more years and need a cane when I'm 60.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Here's the issue. The wrong box will peer pressure you into hurting yourself. Let's be real: we're now in our 30s and 40s and aren't pro athletes. We probably shouldn't be pushing beyond failure like we used to in our 20s. If you do it, be very aware of your limits. An injury now very well could be an injury forever for us. I'd rather be in good shape and get to run with my grandkids than be in great shape for 10 more years and need a cane when I'm 60.

absolutely. you have to know your limits with regards to stamina and weight. don't be embarrassed to do less weight/repetitions than what the workout says

absolutely. you have to know your limits with regards to stamina and weight. don't be embarrassed to do less weight/repetitions than what the workout says

This is exactly my thought and my first question to gym staff when I’m checking them out.

I just turned 50. I have done p90x off and on since 2009. I’m very aware of what I can and can’t do and have zero intention of pushing beyond that. I give no fucks whatsoever what any coach or anyone else thinks and I will absolutely modify everything as needed.

So far that is being received ok by the couple of gyms I have checked out.

5 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I watched some Crossfit people drag a metal sled up and down a parking lot. They were kind of sweaty.

what i've learned.

vegetarians pay a good amount of money to eat like poor people.

crossfit people pay a good amount of money to exercise like poor people.

• Like 4

On 11/2/2018 at 10:53 AM, crash_davis said:

who's the shaggy member with the hot wife who owned a box in new mexico?

That was a hot box.

I'm 39 and I enjoy it.  When I went to a regular gym I got caught up alternating the same workout routines and it became boring.  I like that every day is a new workout I probably have never done before.  My class has the young guys that are really serious and good, and some older guys like me that I can workout with end be pushed by.

The wife and I started Crossfit about 9 months ago and love it.  We are in our late 30s and it's gotten us into great shape.  We like that it's a different workout every day, so you never get bored and don't have to plan anything out.  As others have said, just go at your own pace and tell the coaches to fuck off if they push you too hard.

I did it for a few years and loved it. Had to quit due to some unrelated health issues. To echo what others have said, know your limits and really focus on proper form, and you'll be fine. It's easy to find scaled down versions of the workouts online, you don't have to everything as prescribed. Don't do the power Oly lifts like deadlifts and such until you really have the form nailed.

• 1 year later...
On 11/2/2018 at 9:53 AM, crash_davis said:

On 11/7/2018 at 3:54 PM, DaysOff said:
On 11/2/2018 at 9:53 AM, crash_davis said:

JW. He's still around.

Doing a search since the 2020 Games are in the finale. Yeah, we're still going strong, covid and all. In our 8th year. @tbone_did you ever try it?

I had a pretty serious injury this summer (2020 fuck ya). Dropped a kettle bell on my hand and shattered my left thumb. Damn thing exploded like a popped balloon. I'll post some pictures in a bit. 

The last Games workout:

Run 1 mile

100 handstand pushups

200 one legged squats

300 pullups

Run 1 mile

DO NOT DO THIS at home. You will die.

Also, men wear a 20 lb vest, women - 14 lb.

2 hours ago, jw4381 said:

Doing a search since the 2020 Games are in the finale. Yeah, we're still going strong, covid and all. In our 8th year. @tbone_did you ever try it?

I had a pretty serious injury this summer (2020 fuck ya). Dropped a kettle bell on my hand and shattered my left thumb. Damn thing exploded like a popped balloon. I'll post some pictures in a bit. 

The last Games workout:

Run 1 mile

100 handstand pushups

200 one legged squats

300 pullups

Run 1 mile

DO NOT DO THIS at home. You will die.

Also, men wear a 20 lb vest, women - 14 lb.

Sorry about your thumb, that sucks. Not that this wouldn't be a brutal workout regardless but are these real pullups or kipping/momentum pull ups?

300 strict pullups would seem to be damn near tough/impossible for anyone to do in a race. Again, not saying this would not be a killer workout, I just have a fatwa vs kipping pullups.

Edited by BrazilHorn
plural vs singular thumb
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

Every one of the competitors did butterfiy pull ups.

Why the fatwa?

I think they should be called something else. They aren't truly pullups as they are all based on momentum. You need great rotator cuff/shoulder flexibility but to me they are gimmicky vs true pullups. Also I can't stand watching the CF judges "count" these butterfly pullups as the contestants come so close to bar they always look short of it to me.

The workout would still be brutal like I said, I just view butterfly/kipping pushups as not true pullups.

I did it for a bit, pulled something in my upper back and was stuck with something like 6 months left on my contract with them that they wouldn't let me out of. So I got out of there and started going to an Opex gym. Same thing except it's individual instead of all as a group. They tailor the workout specifically for me, which works out much better since the coach knows there is no way I'm in the same league as...say Greg Kelley (who went there before moving to Michigan State).

Sorry about your back. That's cool that you found something that works for you. That's a huge key, and it always will be.

I don't like the contract thing. We just go month to month for all our members, with discounts if you purchase longer chunks of time up front.