Surly kids applying / attending UT

Longhorn94

Lol my kid isn't exactly bristling with facial hair, one of his crosses to bear. Looks like they make a great match!

Updated to add: I'm sure I saw at least five kids that looked like that when my kid moved into jester 2 years ago.

Edited by phdhorn

• 4 weeks later...

I have indetical twin sons who are seniors at Bowie (Austin). One is top 7.5% and the other is top 13%. UT is both their first choices, but one wants to do graphic/UX design and is taking his first programming class this year (Top 7.5), while the other has no idea and thinks liberal arts is fine. They both got identical 1340s on the SAT which is the 90th percentile. I figure the higher GPA kid was a bubble to UT and the lower one would probably need to CAP in.  My wife cajoled them into taking the ACT in August and the higher one scored a 33 while the other did not score any higher relative to his SAT score.

Any idea how the admissions department will treat a kid with a 90th% SAT and a 98th% ACT?  The SAT scores were sent to UT so they will see both for the higher ranked boy. We didn't send the ACT scores just in case they didn't improve relatively.

Bowie HS has a "scatterplot" where the kids can plug in their GPA and SAT or ACT and see all the admits/denies to UT from Bowie. Neither of the twins' plots show kids that had the same or better scores/GPA get denied, but I know the lower one's only chance is maybe Liberal Arts or CAP.

My hope is that the high end kid will keep his eyes in state since we have the Texas Tomorrow Fund and a private or out of state school converts to only what you paid with a marginal return, if that. His score/GPA makes him competative in a whole new realm of schools we never even considered.

I am stoked as hell for the 33er and bummed for his twin. The twin with the lower scores works a lot harder than the other who gets better results with less effort. Life isn't fair, but tonight may be tough celebrating a huge accomplishment for the one while not making the other feel like a dummy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Austinvines said:

Any idea how the admissions department will treat a kid with a 90th% SAT and a 98th% ACT?

My son, now somewhere else and doing well, was CAP’d for business with great resume, EC’s, mostly A’s from a classical private school that doesn’t rank and a 34 on the ACT.  Not happy with UT on this but it is what it is.

Hope your results are different but have some other schools in mind and serious discussions about CAP program. I met a sophmore ME major last weekend who CAP’d in from UTA so it’s possible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Austinvines said:

I have indetical twin sons who are seniors at Bowie (Austin). One is top 7.5% and the other is top 13%. UT is both their first choices, but one wants to do graphic/UX design and is taking his first programming class this year (Top 7.5), while the other has no idea and thinks liberal arts is fine. They both got identical 1340s on the SAT which is the 90th percentile. I figure the higher GPA kid was a bubble to UT and the lower one would probably need to CAP in.  My wife cajoled them into taking the ACT in August and the higher one scored a 33 while the other did not score any higher relative to his SAT score.

Any idea how the admissions department will treat a kid with a 90th% SAT and a 98th% ACT?  The SAT scores were sent to UT so they will see both for the higher ranked boy. We didn't send the ACT scores just in case they didn't improve relatively.

Bowie HS has a "scatterplot" where the kids can plug in their GPA and SAT or ACT and see all the admits/denies to UT from Bowie. Neither of the twins' plots show kids that had the same or better scores/GPA get denied, but I know the lower one's only chance is maybe Liberal Arts or CAP.

My hope is that the high end kid will keep his eyes in state since we have the Texas Tomorrow Fund and a private or out of state school converts to only what you paid with a marginal return, if that. His score/GPA makes him competative in a whole new realm of schools we never even considered.

I am stoked as hell for the 33er and bummed for his twin. The twin with the lower scores works a lot harder than the other who gets better results with less effort. Life isn't fair, but tonight may be tough celebrating a huge accomplishment for the one while not making the other feel like a dummy.

College of Fine Arts.  Also, the College of Fine Arts.  Or pay some expert to tell you otherwise.  If you/they are serious about graphic design

My oldest did the CAP at UTSA. Missed getting in by class rank by 1 person. He wasn’t into the Greek system so for him going the CAP route was probably much better than if he had gone straight to Austin. Straight A’s in San Antonio, fewer distractions, allowed him to set good habits away from home.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Asithappens said:

How competitive is the applied math (or whatever it's called) program to get into as a freshman?

Kid (not mine) has about 1450 SATs. 

That's above the 75th percentile for UT, so 1450 seems like a good chance.  Math is not as competitive as Computer Science or Biology.

BTW, for anyone new to Texas admissions, there are really three buckets for UT admission.  Top 6% takes about 75% of the spots, out of state gets no more than 10% of the spots, and all of the other spots are Texas kids who were not top 6%.  There are about 9,000 spots.  So you are really competing for admission spots against the other people in your bucket.  If you are top 6% you are in.

Admission to a major is different and I don't know how or if they manage how many from each bucket get into each major.  A portion of the incoming class does not get into a major right away. Instead, they start in the School of Undergraduate Studies and apply for a transfer to a major after they have the basic core classes complete.  The others are enrolled in another college or school and have a major from the beginning.

• 4 weeks later...

So my daughter (see pic above) got her general acceptance which is exciting even though we knew it was automatic. Anyone have experience with the CNS and biochemistry admits specifically?  The information on the interwebs is somewhat conflicting and dated.

• Like 1

So my daughter (see pic above) got her general acceptance which is exciting even though we knew it was automatic. Anyone have experience with the CNS and biochemistry admits specifically?  The information on the interwebs is somewhat conflicting and dated.

Based on my kids’ experience (they all graduated within the last 3 years) CNS is fairly easy entry. I would imagine Biochem will be more competitive.

My youngest pref’d bio engineering and put McCombs second. It was bad advice. He would have gotten McCombs if he had pref’d it but instead for neither.

Ended up doing Econ major and later got into MPA program (which he is finishing this year).

DDD was dumped into undergraduate studies (she wanted nursing) and freshman year she joined CNS and then ended up ultimately in Education after not getting into nursing school.

Eldest did CAP at UTSA and based on his performance was able to choose the major of his choice (made 4.0 at UTSA).
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Eldest did CAP at UTSA and based on his performance was able to choose the major of his choice (made 4.0 at UTSA).

including business, engineering, and computer science?

curious to see the answer as we've been told in two separate campus visits that if you don't get into those programs coming from high school, you are NOT going to transfer in for comp science and VERY SLIM chance for eng and business.

including business, engineering, and computer science?
curious to see the answer as we've been told in two separate campus visits that if you don't get into those programs coming from high school, you are NOT going to transfer in for comp science and VERY SLIM chance for eng and business.

None of the above. He wanted Communications so YMMV.

On 9/27/2019 at 5:41 PM, 66BUFF said:

Pretty sure if 1 twin gets accepted they will admit the other twin.  My wife read this somewhere on the UT site 

This isn't exactly untrue.  My identical twins applied for admission for the 2018-19 academic year.  One was top 7%, the other a fraction under it.  Top 7% twin got in, the other was CAP.  Their GPA/SAT index was exactly the same.  CAP twin appealed stating his twin and he were academically equal according to every other school admission standards.  He won his appeal and got in.  CAP twin GPA after first year at UT was slightly higher than his brother.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 12:22 PM, DDD Dad said:

Based on my kids’ experience (they all graduated within the last 3 years) CNS is fairly easy entry. I would imagine Biochem will be more competitive.

My youngest pref’d bio engineering and put McCombs second. It was bad advice. He would have gotten McCombs if he had pref’d it but instead for neither.

Ended up doing Econ major and later got into MPA program (which he is finishing this year).

DDD was dumped into undergraduate studies (she wanted nursing) and freshman year she joined CNS and then ended up ultimately in Education after not getting into nursing school.

Did your daughter consider the nursing program for those who completed a bachelors in a different discipline?

Daughter turned hers in, now she waits for the unlikely. :) TCU will take her but shit ..my vacation life will be over

Edited by pacman

Did your daughter consider the nursing program for those who completed a bachelors in a different discipline?

No, she decided against nursing pretty much right after not getting in.

She could have done nursing at Arkansas or Baylor but wanted to go to UT more regardless of major.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Tailgate said:

My daughters friend got an acceptance today. Mine applied but for some ungodly reason...it’s not her first choice...will see what happens when she gets a response.

Was she an auto-admit based on top 6% of class rank?

Edited by pacman

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Was she an auto-admit based on top 6% of class rank?

No, it looks like they randomly are admitting kids with a rolling-type process. This is the first one I’ve heard of and it was today. This student wants Plan II but apparently finds out about that later.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Damn....bittersweet day. Youngest fell in love with Vanderbilt when we went to visit (wants to study medicine) and just got her ED acceptance today. An hour later we see her University of Texas acceptance roll in....and she’s like “Vandy all the way!” I tried...like really hard...I told her I’d give her until Monday. Some good lawyers can dismiss that ED.

• Like 3

My son just got admitted into Cockrell. He is pumped. He hears from MIT tomorrow, and is admitted into Michigan State and Colorado School of Mines so far. His twin sister is waiting to hear from the College of Liberal Arts at UT, and is admitted to Hendrix, Trinity and Willamette so far. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, chitwood said:

My son just got admitted into Cockrell. He is pumped. He hears from MIT tomorrow, and is admitted into Michigan State and Colorado School of Mines so far. His twin sister is waiting to hear from the College of Liberal Arts at UT, and is admitted to Hendrix, Trinity and Willamette so far. 

I cannot recommend Mines enough.  Daughter graduates in May.

• Like 1