Surly kids applying / attending UT

Longhorn94

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Seems like maybe a year ago we had that sort of epic thread about engineering schools.  Tempus fugit.  And congrats.

all depends on the student. Some kids just need an engineering degree from any accredited engineering program. Some need any advantage a top 5 program can give them. 

plenty of good and bad jobs out there to go around 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Daughter was ranked 51 out of 832, and missed auto admission by 1 spot. This was with her making straight As and taking all AP or K level classes, except for the required on-level class like Health and PACE.

So she doubled up on another AP science class this semester, made straight As again, and is hoping that will be enough to put her into the top 6%.

She’s been accepted at Tulane, St. Ed, TCU, SMU and UT-Dallas, with some decent scholarship money included.

We’ll see where she’s ranked in January, and will hopefully be submitting a supplement to her pending app to reflect a higher class rank.

Player I thought the top 6% was set by grades at end of junior year. I didn’t think they went back and looked at it again. Am I wrong?

I ask because my daughter missed it by 3 spots based on grades at end of junior year, and I thought that was it for auto admit. 

Edited by chitwood

12 hours ago, Player said:

Her school re-ranks in January, and UT has confirmed that they will accept either the ranking at end of junior year or mid-senior year for auto admit.

She wants to go into college of natural sciences and then med school.

Do Aggy and Tech still have those 6 or 7 year programs that are a combo BS+MD? It seems like where you went to undergrad is not the most important factor to getting accepted to med school any more, and where you went to med school matters nothing unless you’re shooting for a prestigious residency or fellowship. 

43 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Do Aggy and Tech still have those 6 or 7 year programs that are a combo BS+MD?

Several schools do. They are very competitive. Don’t know how much you get to enjoy the college experience however. I took a longer road to get to med school but wouldn’t have traded my time at UT for anything. But I think you can say that at most of the four year universities where you can get a good college experience.

I actually think my daughter would have a better chance getting into med school from UT Dallas or Trinity but she really has Austin on the brain.

On 12/13/2019 at 8:02 PM, chitwood said:

His twin sister is waiting to hear from the College of Liberal Arts at UT, and is admitted to Hendrix, Trinity and Willamette so far. 

Same for my daughter -- in at Oregon and Trinity, waiting on UT Liberal Arts.  Minnesota guy said they'll rubber stamp her app, which is encouraging, as they are allegedly the #5 psych (PhD) program in the country.  I'm not very hopeful for UT, though -- just too few spots.

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Do Aggy and Tech still have those 6 or 7 year programs that are a combo BS+MD? It seems like where you went to undergrad is not the most important factor to getting accepted to med school any more, and where you went to med school matters nothing unless you’re shooting for a prestigious residency or fellowship. 

Aggy is no more. Tech has the 8 year UMSI program which unfortunately requires the MCAT, completion of an their Honors program (Lol Tceh Honors), and no acceptance of AP credit towards completion of the program. 

Player I thought the top 6% was set by grades at end of junior year. I didn’t think they went back and looked at it again. Am I wrong?

I ask because my daughter missed it by 3 spots based on grades at end of junior year, and I thought that was it for auto admit. 

Well hopefully she’ll get in at A&M.
  • Fuck You 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just heard that the valedictorian and the #10 ranked kid in a class of about 500 at a very competitive suburban Houston high school both were denied for their preferred majors (Comp Sci and McCombs) and were offered Gender Studies and some other horseshit choices or undeclared. A similar thing happened with my oldest initially then a week or so later he was offered a spot in Cockrell, so hopefully the same type thing can happen for them. Both kids have very well-rounded backgrounds with extracurriculars,  volunteering, academic honors etc and are imminently qualified to succeed at Texas. It will be a shame to lose these quality kids to somewhere else     

2 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I just heard that the valedictorian and the #10 ranked kid in a class of about 500 at a very competitive suburban Houston high school both were denied for their preferred majors (Comp Sci and McCombs) and were offered Gender Studies and some other horseshit choices or undeclared. A similar thing happened with my oldest initially then a week or so later he was offered a spot in Cockrell, so hopefully the same type thing can happen for them. Both kids have very well-rounded backgrounds with extracurriculars,  volunteering, academic honors etc and are imminently qualified to succeed at Texas. It will be a shame to lose these quality kids to somewhere else     

That sucks. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to why some kids get in and others don't. I with CompSci, they look favorably on kids who already have programming/coding experience. McCombs seems to be a blind lottery among the top qualified.

We went to two different campus visits, one for Natural Science and another for McCombs. Both stressed the importance the essay and a kid's course load compared to others in his/her socioeconomic class. For example, student A in this income bracket and high school took many more AP courses and scored 4s and 5s in the AP exams versus a valedictorian in the same socioeconomic class who didn't take as many AP courses and scored poorly on them. Buy yea, it's kind of a crap shoot.

12 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

That sucks. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to why some kids get in and others don't. I with CompSci, they look favorably on kids who already have programming/coding experience. McCombs seems to be a blind lottery among the top qualified.

Yeah...after going through the process with two...it appears some admission counselors at certain school admit students differently than their colleagues down the hall.

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I just heard that the valedictorian and the #10 ranked kid in a class of about 500 at a very competitive suburban Houston high school both were denied for their preferred majors (Comp Sci and McCombs)

That's crazy. I see stories on the interwebs that are very similar. My daughter and a few other high ranking auto admit classmates got into their first choice major (some CNS and friends into McCombs). I was pretty nervous for her even though she appeared to be highly qualified.

Seems like you need to cure cancer or have some crazy million dollar business that benefits orphaned immigrants to get into some of the more competitive majors if you are outside 6%, attend a non ranking school or are out of state.

On 12/14/2019 at 3:23 PM, Player said:

Daughter was ranked 51 out of 832, and missed auto admission by 1 spot. This was with her making straight As and taking all AP or K level classes, except for the required on-level class like Health and PACE.

So she doubled up on another AP science class this semester, made straight As again, and is hoping that will be enough to put her into the top 6%.

She’s been accepted at Tulane, St. Ed, TCU, SMU and UT-Dallas, with some decent scholarship money included.

We’ll see where she’s ranked in January, and will hopefully be submitting a supplement to her pending app to reflect a higher class rank.

One of the biggest challenges in years 3 and especially 4 is not just improving the GPA; but also not falling back in percentage of class rank due to dwindling numbers in the class itself.  You're fighting 2 fronts...

Edited by Iceman

my niece didn't get into UT (didn't apply, i tried lol) but i would like to hear fellow UT grad thoughts...

UNT or UH? 🤨

accepted to both, good academic scholarship offers from both, she likes them both. 

she's majoring in environmental science... 

i feel like UH is the smarter choice, but am not completely sure, and she's on the fence and needs to pretty much decide now. anybody have/know a kid that went to UH? opinions on one vs. the other?  

Edited by mchookem

9 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Hi.

Fuck UT admissions.

39 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

UH is a commuter school.  Depending on her major, it may be a the best option. Houston companies recruit UH.

UNT is a "better" college experience. Heard great things about Denton. Just not sure how much weight that degree carries or if that school is highly recruited by companies.

that kinda matches my thoughts...UH might be a better college degree, but UNT would be a better college experience

Edited by mchookem

On 1/16/2020 at 9:51 PM, mchookem said:

that kinda matches my thoughts...UH might be a better college degree, but UNT would be a better college experience

What you might do, and this is probably good advice generally, is ask about both school's "career services office."  Meaning what do they do to help graduates get jobs.  And don't settle for some happy crappy nonsense, ask about hiring rates, number of companies interviewing, etc. etc.  If the school has a good one, they'll be more than happy to hand over data and show it to you.

My sense is that UNT is a pretty decent school and pretty well regarded in the metroplex.  But I don't have personal knowledge because my fields are ones where UNT is absent, or mostly so.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

thanks. good idea, i'll suggest that. 

found out today she got accepted to UNT honors college which has some pretty good financial aid tied to it.

but she has a TTF so money doesn't have to be deciding factor. 

i don't really know what 'commuter school' means as far as academics...i mean, i realize most of the students are from Houston...but so what? i could definitely see the campus atmosphere differences. 

frankly, it's awesome she has such good choices 🙂

i was leaning towards UH, but a UNT honors degree...eh, she'll do well wherever she goes. 

i just wish she'd just applied to UT! 😜

8 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Following up on this to say how proud I am of our daughter. She did not get in to Plan II, Dean's Scholar, or even Jefferson Scholars upon admission but did get into 1 of only 50 spots in Environmental Science. She was not having it, especially since her two older brothers are both Plan II. So she applied to and got into the Freshman Research Initiative (FRI) and then worked her butt off to make a 4.0 this Fall semester. Got the head of the Environmental Science program to write a letter of rec for her and then re-applied to Dean's Scholar. She found out this morning that she was accepted into Dean's Scholars. I can not say enough how proud I am of her. She did not take no for an answer and made it happen. I didnt even know you could re-apply. And yes, our kids take after their mom. thank God!

Few things are more gratifying in life than experiencing this as a dad for your kids kicking ass.

Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Following up on this to say how proud I am of our daughter. She did not get in to Plan II, Dean's Scholar, or even Jefferson Scholars upon admission but did get into 1 of only 50 spots in Environmental Science. She was not having it, especially since her two older brothers are both Plan II. So she applied to and got into the Freshman Research Initiative (FRI) and then worked her butt off to make a 4.0 this Fall semester. Got the head of the Environmental Science program to write a letter of rec for her and then re-applied to Dean's Scholar. She found out this morning that she was accepted into Dean's Scholars. I can not say enough how proud I am of her. She did not take no for an answer and made it happen. I didnt even know you could re-apply. And yes, our kids take after their mom. thank God!

Gotta chime in here and offer my congrats to Longhorn2024 (or whenever she graduates).  She tutored my daughter for an AP Chemistry semester final a couple of weeks back and the result was . . . excellent!  Gotta love the surlies gettin' it done at UT and elsewhere.

• Like 2

As a Houston homer I have to chime in to say UH has dramatically increased their on campus housing and close to campus apartment living. It’s not the same UH of 20 years ago. Fertitta Center is awesome for Coog basketball and TDECU stadium can get hopping if the football team is good. UH academically is getting to be a good in-state public 2nd-3rd option. Their law school is the clear 2nd best in the state and their school of optometry is excellent. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/amp/Tower-5040-student-housing-project-to-go-up-near-13670425.php

“On campus, a replacement of the Quadrangle will boost the number of University of Houston residential beds to 8,389 in the fall of 2020, according to U of H. That compares with 8,008 beds in fall of 2013 and 4,061 beds in 2003“

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

30 minutes ago, Iceman said:

That’s my perception and belief as a Houston transactional lawyer that was  involved years ago in summer associate recruiting. Rapelor is good for future litigators but I think you get much more bang for your buck at UH. Houston big law firms will hire top UH law students. Know lots of good UH grad lawyers 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Few things are more gratifying in life than experiencing this as a dad for your kids kicking ass.

Thank you for sharing.

I could not agree more. I got the news on a flight to SF and damn if it didnt get dusty in there. Obviously Delta needs to fix their air filters because i was NOT crying! You were crying!!!

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Gotta chime in here and offer my congrats to Longhorn2024 (or whenever she graduates).  She tutored my daughter for an AP Chemistry semester final a couple of weeks back and the result was . . . excellent!  Gotta love the surlies gettin' it done at UT and elsewhere.

Thank you but the report I got back was Lil Ms Jazz didn't need much help and was pretty darn sharp herself! Clearly, she also follows after Mama Jazz.

3 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Thank you but the report I got back was Lil Ms Jazz didn't need much help and was pretty darn sharp herself! Clearly, she also follows after Mama Jazz.

Well, that goes without saying.  I have submitted paternity tests for both herself and her fast-as-shit little brother, because clearly neither of them are mine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

I could not agree more. I got the news on a flight to SF and damn if it didnt get dusty in there. Obviously Delta needs to fix their air filters because i was NOT crying! You were crying!!!

yeah...[spoiler alert] just wait until she graduates, you go to hug her and try to say, "Congratulations!  I'm so proud of you, " but instead you feel like you took a shot to the diaphragm from a DB in the NFL and nothing comes out.  You just squeeze em tight and they know what you meant to say. It is literally beyond words...or at least your ability to use them.

Just something to look forward to down the road.  Enjoy the ride getting there!

• Like 2

SMU is the 2nd best TX law school for the Dallas market and (from what I hear) UH is the 2nd best TX law school for the Houston market. Baylor may be slightly higher ranked than both now, but unless the recruiting committee is filled with Baylor grads, I don't know anyone who would rate it over say SMU/UH in the Dallas/Houston markets. In the Austin market, I don't think we even recruit from SMU/UH/Baylor anymore, so just get into UT.

Just heard that a shitton of really smart and well qualified kids LASA got capped.  I know of two kids who scored 5s on AP tests and scored high 1400 and low 1500 who got capped.

I have no idea of the validity but rumors are they UT outsourced admissions to a 3rd party company this year and there have been a shitton of protests already. 

Fucking crazy. 

4 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Appeal it. Several of my kids' friends were capped, appealed, and then got in.

Thanks. As of now that is our plan. She has some other great options, but UT is most likely where her twin ends up. She was 5/5 on acceptances, so she’s just emotional at the moment. 

• Like 1

Have heard the same, inconsistencies across the board which seems very out of character from the past

We still haven't heard, so I guess its digging ditches for our oldest. :)

uta has made her feel special, and my pocket book too, but it will hurt to not have her at our great institution, and, most of all, only 15 minutes from home

i am not ready for any of this

• Like 1