Surly kids applying / attending UT

Longhorn94

I’ve been wanting to post here for a while. My son is currently ranked number one as a junior at a 6A high school. Right now his heart is at the I’m iversity of Texas, but I’m trying to make sure we steer him to a school that is right for him. I graduated from UTSA back when it was a commuter school so I don’t have any knowledge about navigating a large university. My daughter is currently a freshman at Trinity University. She took some pretty challenging classes her first semester such as calculus and chemistry but was able to make all A’s. I believe the small class size and built-in advantages at a private university helped her achieve this. She has a peer tutor assigned to her and a personal relationship with her professors who also set up study sessions. If she has trouble writing a paper, there is a writing center that will help her and proof read it. I really don’t know what types of programs the University of Texas has to try to help students when they struggle in a class. Both of my kids want to go to medical school, therefore keeping a higher GPA is very important. I’m trying to decide whether I would be doing him a disservice by sending him to such a large school. I am worried about him struggling in some of the auditorium size classes and not being able to find enough resources to help him make the grades he needs to make. Am I overthinking this, is his path to success just as reasonable at the University of Texas as it would be at a school like Trinity? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

I’ve been wanting to post here for a while. My son is currently ranked number one as a junior at a 6A high school. Right now his heart is at the I’m iversity of Texas, but I’m trying to make sure we steer him to a school that is right for him. I graduated from UTSA back when it was a commuter school so I don’t have any knowledge about navigating a large university. My daughter is currently a freshman at Trinity University. She took some pretty challenging classes her first semester such as calculus and chemistry but was able to make all A’s. I believe the small class size and built-in advantages at a private university helped her achieve this. She has a peer tutor assigned to her and a personal relationship with her professors who also set up study sessions. If she has trouble writing a paper, there is a writing center that will help her and proof read it. I really don’t know what types of programs the University of Texas has to try to help students when they struggle in a class. Both of my kids want to go to medical school, therefore keeping a higher GPA is very important. I’m trying to decide whether I would be doing him a disservice by sending him to such a large school. I am worried about him struggling in some of the auditorium size classes and not being able to find enough resources to help him make the grades he needs to make. Am I overthinking this, is his path to success just as reasonable at the University of Texas as it would be at a school like Trinity? Any advice would be appreciated.

You really need to do an official campus tour of the university. UT knows that they are an extremely large university and have taken steps to address your concerns and much more. You would be doing your Son a disservice if you didn't thoroughly vet UT. It's a world class university.

https://admissions.utexas.edu/visit

• Like 1

Thanks,

We are planning to do one this Spring, I'm hoping we will be able to get all our questions answered. Choosing the right school will affect the rest of his life and his choices for anything post grad. I’m of the mind that his path might be less complicated at a private school but I certainly want to be open minded about it.

I dunno, I went from a non-huge high school to taking CH301 and E316 with 300 people in an auditorium.  Other classes were fairly normal sized.

It immediately became the new normal.  Resources are there if you want/need them and seek them out.  Being treated as your SSN/Student number has some benefits; it also has some drawbacks.  It also may be surprising how much the administration of your kids' particular college actually knows about him/her, particularly as things tend toward upper division.

I understand that that isn't going to be an easy or workable transition for some people.  

However, for a prospective professional grad student (meaning law, medicine, business), those schools are typically more cattle call than intimate experience so the UT large university experience definitely has value there.

The School of Natural Science tries to make the enormity of the campus feel smaller. Freshman students are assigned with a group of 12 (or 18, I can't remember from the Campus Visit) other students that they bond with for all four years. They study and have classes together. I came away immensely impressed with the NS school after the campus visit.

My daughter has no issues with the available resources to help with course topics. Always last resort of conference hours with the professor although professors are hit or miss. Some professors care, some don't give a shit. That's the case for all schools from elementary to college.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The School of Natural Science tries to make the enormity of the campus feel smaller. Freshman students are assigned with a group of 12 (or 18, I can't remember from the Campus Visit) other students that they bond with for all four years. They study and have classes together. I came away immensely impressed with the NS school after the campus visit.

My daughter has no issues with the available resources to help with course topics. Always last resort of conference hours with the professor although professors are hit or miss. Some professors care, some don't give a shit. That's the case for all schools from elementary to college.

Every school at UT is doing this now. Everything OP described about Trinity occurs at UT now. Its no longer a swim or sink type place. Peer groups, mentors, writing center, all of it. And if your son gets into an honors program, there is an additional layer placed on top of everything above. The honors groups also take honors core classes and are able to avoid most of the large classes. But with the large classes, there are study groups, TAs, office hours. My kids go to every office hour they can. Have study groups in every class. And form relationships with their professors, TAs, and mentors. Its a whole different world now. Like suggested above, take the tour. It's eye-opening.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Damn. My girl is a junior and she is in the top 6%. She really doesn’t want to even look anywhere else. I hope she stays in the top 6%.

Probably will be top 5% sooner than later, after the explosion in numbers this year.

Edited by pacman

2 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah.

Let's get to what's really important. I have a son (UT grad) and your daughter sounds like quite a catch. What say we have them make some sort of connection? 

Just kidding. But your daughter sure sounds like a winner, suckitkevin. Grats to you. Trinity? That's impressive. 

As far as going to med school, Trinity might be a better option. Those smaller schools (good schools, and great schools like Trinity) have more personalized instruction and you can probably get closer to faculty for good recs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuckitKevin said:

Thanks,

We are planning to do one this Spring, I'm hoping we will be able to get all our questions answered. Choosing the right school will affect the rest of his life and his choices for anything post grad. I’m of the mind that his path might be less complicated at a private school but I certainly want to be open minded about it.

Don't sweat it too much, imo. Yeah, go to a good school. But more importantly, do well at that school. Whether it be the lesser ones like UH or aggy, just do the best you can at the undergrad level. 

There may be fewer temptations at Trinity than UT, which would presumably help the academic factor, but hey, support him the best you can and wish him luck. It's his life. 

But you just cannot go wrong with either UT or Trinity, imo. 

4 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah.

Let's get to what's really important. I have a son (UT grad) and your daughter sounds like quite a catch. What say we have them make some sort of connection? 

Just kidding. But your daughter sure sounds like a winner, suckitkevin. Grats to you. Trinity? That's impressive. 

As far as going to med school, Trinity might be a better option. Those smaller schools (good schools, and great schools like Trinity) have more personalized instruction and you can probably get closer to faculty for good recs. 

You think it's difficult getting into UT, med school admissions is another headache. I would pay attention to how many kids each school gets into med schools. I haven't looked at Trinity's percentage, but I would be surprised as fuck if it's anywhere near UTs.

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

You think it's difficult getting into UT, med school admissions is another headache. I would pay attention to how many kids each school gets into med schools. I haven't looked at Trinity's percentage, but I would be surprised as fuck if it's anywhere near UTs.

Meaning what, that Trinity's % is a lot higher than UT's (given the size of the  student body)?

Edited by Asithappens

5 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Meaning what, that Trinity's % is a lot higher than UT's (given the size of the  student body)?

Meaning what % of graduating students from that school were accepted to a medical school.

Trinity is around 36%.

UTAustin is round 54%. For comparison, UCLA which is another stellar university is around mid 50%.

19 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Cool.

Link, please.

UT based on 2015: https://cns.utexas.edu/images/CNS/Health_Professions/HPO_Stats/2015_Final_Med_Stats.pdf

Trinity: https://inside.trinity.edu/office-institutional-research-and-effectiveness/university-data/student-achievement-and-success 

Latest available figures indicate a 36% medical school acceptance rate among Trinity graduates during the 2017-18 admissions cycle.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

This. I was in NS for a couple years and that group was really helpful. I also lived in the learning center in Jester. I had an 8am calc class with a guy from Asia whom I couldn't understand in the slightest, but I went to the learning center and got an A both semesters. They had fewer tutors available for chem and bio at the time, but I imagine they have more now, and office hours were also extremely helpful. You can succeed there, though I did feel quite a bit behind most students because of my crappy HS chem teachers. I also learned that I wasn't the least bit interested in the topic and changed majors, which is a potential downside to going to a small school because they have far fewer options and even fewer reputable degrees available.

2 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Every school at UT is doing this now. Everything OP described about Trinity occurs at UT now. Its no longer a swim or sink type place. Peer groups, mentors, writing center, all of it. And if your son gets into an honors program, there is an additional layer placed on top of everything above. The honors groups also take honors core classes and are able to avoid most of the large classes. But with the large classes, there are study groups, TAs, office hours. My kids go to every office hour they can. Have study groups in every class. And form relationships with their professors, TAs, and mentors. Its a whole different world now. Like suggested above, take the tour. It's eye-opening.

Thank you,

this is very helpful.

40 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I don't know the good, raw data, but I'd be very surprised if UT's undergard admissions to med school was a lot higher than Trinity's. Slightly higher? Maybe. A lot higher? 

I think the smaller, quality schools have an edge in stuff like this. 

That would have been my perception, also, although it may be outdated.  Austin College used to be a pre-med factory, churning out UTSW and similar admittance like a slot machine.

17 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Just heard that a shitton of really smart and well qualified kids LASA got capped.  I know of two kids who scored 5s on AP tests and scored high 1400 and low 1500 who got capped.

I have no idea of the validity but rumors are they UT outsourced admissions to a 3rd party company this year and there have been a shitton of protests already. 

Fucking crazy. 

My daughter just got the CAP email.  Cost matters, so we'll consider that route, but I'm thinking she'll probably end up out of state at one of the Big 10 or Pac 12 schools that accepted her and threw a bunch of money her way.

• Like 3

If they go in the CAP program, how likely is it that they get accepted into their desired program at UT the following year?  I'm sure it varies by major, but just wondering if this is a shot to their dreams or just another hurdle.

I ask as a parent of a kid who went to one year of prep-school between HS and college, but it was with a virtual guarantee of " Don't fuck up, and you're getting in"

16 minutes ago, Iceman said:

If they go in the CAP program, how likely is it that they get accepted into their desired program at UT the following year?  I'm sure it varies by major, but just wondering if this is a shot to their dreams or just another hurdle.

I don't know the numbers, but my daughter's preferred major is actually Psychology, so CAP is perfect for her.  If she wanted to major in EE or Business, I'd shut down that option immediately.  I just don't see the value in starting out at (say) UTSA in Engineering and then NOT getting into UT except for Liberal Arts.  It would be better to go to Illinois or UNC or any number of other great schools where that risk doesn't exist.

The irony is that her 2nd preferred major is math, which would probably not be an easy CAP route into UT.

43 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I ask as a parent of a kid who went to one year of prep-school between HS and college, but it was with a virtual guarantee of " Don't fuck up, and you're getting in"

I only have anecdotal evidence but my son's friends were capped, two went to UTA and one went to UTSA. The two that went to UTA last year transferred into McCombs this year. The one who went to UTSA transferred into EE. I know all three made 4.0s at UTA and UTSA respectively and had pretty outstanding SAT/ACT scores but just weren't auto admits. 

My youngest wants pre med also and chose Vandy over UT. It was a bummer for me, but I support her decision and really liked Nashville. She’s a lucky girl and got accepted everywhere she applied. My only concern is the GPA deal for pre med...I’ve heard Vanderbilt stories about grade deflation. She works hard and should do well...I just know about 2/3 of the kids there want pre med so there has to be obvious weed out.

I went through it at Texas with the weed-out classes but surely they will not be as intense. I was not into medicine. She’s also really wanting to leave Austin for college and I think that drove part of the decision. After we did the UT tour she said “I’d really like it if it wasn’t in Austin.” If the bird wants to fly, I’m not stopping it. I’ve also always been a big believer in things happen for a reason and I feel if she wants to leave Austin for college...there’s a reason behind it and we will find out.

Good luck to all your kids going through this tough process and decision making time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Asithappens said:

I don't know the good, raw data, but I'd be very surprised if UT's undergard admissions to med school was a lot higher than Trinity's. Slightly higher? Maybe. A lot higher? 

I think the smaller, quality schools have an edge in stuff like this. 

I remember back in the day when you went to Austin College if you wanted to go to med school.  

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That would have been my perception, also, although it may be outdated.  Austin College used to be a pre-med factory, churning out UTSW and similar admittance like a slot machine.

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I remember back in the day when you went to Austin College if you wanted to go to med school.  

Yuupp.  One of the more interesting dudes in my law school class, smart guy, good student, DIII football player, musical theater actor/singer and musician.  Austin College grad.

Solo down in your neck of the woods.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 8:43 AM, SuckitKevin said:

Send him to a smaller cheaper school on a full ride and he will make a 4.0 or close to it there (Since he is already #1 at a 6A school, this will not be an issue unless he just stops trying). He will still get easily into medical school. The name on the school doesnt really matter that much. The associated MCAT score and GPA matter so so much more. 

So kind of a bizarre question, what are some good cowboy boots that wont break the bank?  My son is joining a fraternity, and they have to wear cowboy boots during their pledge period and to football games.  Since we aren't from Texas, we know fuck all about boots.  I'm not looking to spend a mint on stuff hes going to wear less than probably 60 combined days a year, but I also don't want him fucking his feet up wearing something shitty since game days are long.  

Secondary question, whats a good place to get said boots?

2 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

So kind of a bizarre question, what are some good cowboy boots that wont break the bank?  My son is joining a fraternity, and they have to wear cowboy boots during their pledge period and to football games.  Since we aren't from Texas, we know fuck all about boots.  I'm not looking to spend a mint on stuff hes going to wear less than probably 60 combined days a year, but I also don't want him fucking his feet up wearing something shitty since game days are long.  

Secondary question, whats a good place to get said boots?

https://www.ariat.com

Nice boots and good prices. I’ve got a pair with burnt orange uppers and they feel like tennis shoes when you wear them.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Back in the days, all frats wore Redwings. I "think" that's still the case. 

If "nice" boots, then get a pair of Justin Ropers in brown or saddle color. Price depends on the leather. Leather soles for nice boots, rubber soles for work boots.

https://www.bootbarn.com/mens/boots-shoes/mens-roper-style-boots/

Not strictly true.  Back in the 80s, seemed like all the non-Houston kids owned a pair of boots, some multiples.  Frequently, that included a pair of Redwings for actual ranch wear.

For the most part, the Houston kids were hit or miss on owning/wearing boots.  Justin Ropers and sometimes Redwings were sort of a compromise position, without "scary" heels or toes, and tended to be cheaper.

Those who owned Redwings quickly figured out that they were optimum for wading beer puddles and drunken stumbles.  But while they don't have scary heels or toes, breakin can be a bitch.

Redwing 1178s are probably still a viable choice and can be worn for 20-plus years (so should decent western boots, but they're getting hard to find). http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/1178-red-wing-shoes/1178-red-wing-mens-11-inch-pull-on-boot-brown

My twins were capped. First is going to accept it and try to get into UTSA. Apparently you have to sign up for the slots online like trying to get concert tickets. He thinks he wants to be a doctor and was accepted to Aggy in the vet/health sciences program. He’s still going to Texas (eventually).

The other wants graphics design and was top 7% with a 33 ACT. He was capped as well and has decided to get a communication design degree from Texas State along with a 9k/year scholarship. That, along with the Texas Tomorrow fund, makes it almost a feee ride. Well at least one I won’t have to hammer big checks for.

All good here.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2020 at 9:27 PM, chitwood said:

Sounds right. My daughter just called me crying as she got capped. Missed top 6% at Anderson by three spots and 1430 SAT. 

She decided to pass on CAP. Going to appeal the decision for the heck of it and see what happens. She got into Reed, Trinity, Wooster, Hendrix, Rhodes and Willamette with all except Reed offering enough $ to be equivalent with UT, so she has great options. Will be interesting to see what she chooses if she gets in on appeal since UT is probably (but not definitely) where her twin brother is going. 

34 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

So is the only difference between 1155s and 1178s the color of the sole?  

If you are looking at the right 1155, the main difference is the heel. It's more western, but it really doesn't work.  The sole is the same or very similar cork filled rubber.

The 1178 is preferred.  Strongly.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Austinvines said:

My twins were capped. First is going to accept it and try to get into UTSA. Apparently you have to sign up for the slots online like trying to get concert tickets. He thinks he wants to be a doctor and was accepted to Aggy in the vet/health sciences program. He’s still going to Texas (eventually).

The other wants graphics design and was top 7% with a 33 ACT. He was capped as well and has decided to get a communication design degree from Texas State along with a 9k/year scholarship. That, along with the Texas Tomorrow fund, makes it almost a feee ride. Well at least one I won’t have to hammer big checks for.

All good here.

I would look into appealing. As noted above, we know several families who appealed and were accepted.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:43 AM, SuckitKevin said:

My sister graduated from Trinity and went on to get her M.D. from UTMB. Her personality was more suited for Trinity than UT, she probably would have done well anywhere but she really thrived in a small liberal arts college setting. A buddy of mine is a surgeon and he went to TTU and was really into the greek scene so it's all probably dependent on what fits the kids personality.

17 hours ago, chitwood said:

She decided to pass on CAP. Going to appeal the decision for the heck of it and see what happens. She got into Reed, Trinity, Wooster, Hendrix, Rhodes and Willamette with all except Reed offering enough $ to be equivalent with UT, so she has great options. Will be interesting to see what she chooses if she gets in on appeal since UT is probably (but not definitely) where her twin brother is going. 

It will be funny if both our daughters end up at Trinity.  Mine got a pretty big $ award, which brings the cost down from "holy fuck" to "minor 2nd mortgage".

She may try CAP at UTSA as well, which is non-binding.  Still waiting on total scholarship from UMinn and UOregon.  Boulder wasn't worth it, their final net cost was well above what we've already seen from the Pac-12 and Big-10 schools.  Apparently Boulder is not fond of being cost-competitive.  (That's an actual perspective I've heard from a half dozen UC parents.)

We are also trying to leverage UT Butler School of Music as an end-around.  Sort of the "athlete" approach (except she's not an athlete).  It may work.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It will be funny if both our daughters end up at Trinity.  Mine got a pretty big $ award, which brings the cost down from "holy fuck" to "minor 2nd mortgage".

She may try CAP at UTSA as well, which is non-binding.  Still waiting on total scholarship from UMinn and UOregon.  Boulder wasn't worth it, their final net cost was well above what we've already seen from the Pac-12 and Big-10 schools.  Apparently Boulder is not fond of being cost-competitive.  (That's an actual perspective I've heard from a half dozen UC parents.)

We are also trying to leverage UT Butler School of Music as an end-around.  Sort of the "athlete" approach (except she's not an athlete).  It may work.

CU needs the out of state money as the state does not pay shit

On 2/4/2020 at 8:35 PM, Austinvines said:

All good here.

My son was capped and ended up at UTSA. He is on an Air Force scholarship (ROTC) and a computer science major with a Cyber Security concentration. He is in his second year and no longer has an interest in leaving UTSA. They have a really good cybersecurity program and partnership with the Air Force which is giving him a big jump start into the field. He is getting involved in the AF Cyber Command at Lackland after this semester. Every thing has worked out really well and hasn't costed me any money.

Long story short, after some time on CAP they lose interest in UT. Overall, I think this is a really good thing for the UT System schools picking up the overflow of quality students.

• Like 3