Surly kids applying / attending UT

Longhorn94

4 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

My daughter just got her acceptance (top 6%) for the fall of 2021.  She is looking at Psychology with law school plans.   

What are the top choices for dorms now?  I never lived on the 40 since I didn't do undergrad there.  My wife spent two years in Jester then two years in an apartment if I remember correctly.  

Congratulations, Leeroy! 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, slorch said:

Is it gold for better grades?   School of Mines and all...

Congratulations!!!

All graduates of the Colorado School of Mines since the class of 2000 receive one silver-plated metal diploma as their official university diploma after graduation and upon certification of their degree (Prior to the class of 2000, students received a parchment (paper) diploma at graduation, and these alumni may now order a metal diploma for $155). 

image.thumb.png.037e7ca37cdc5ffeb3a54173719350c0.png

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

All graduates of the Colorado School of Mines since the class of 2000 receive one silver-plated metal diploma as their official university diploma after graduation and upon certification of their degree (Prior to the class of 2000, students received a parchment (paper) diploma at graduation, and these alumni may now order a metal diploma for $155). 

That's a great tradition, about which I was unaware.  Very cool.

• 4 weeks later...

My son submitted his application to Texas. He is applying to College of Engineering (EE), Engineering Honors, Plan II, etc... He will be auto-admitted into Texas. Hopefully, he joins his two older brothers in Plan II. If he gets into EE and Plan II, he will go to Texas. If not, we will wait to hear back from MIT, Harvard, Cal, UCLA, and Stanford. This one bleeds burnt orange so it will be pretty surprising if he doesnt go to Texas.

Anyone else have a kid applying now?

On 9/24/2020 at 5:48 PM, Beau Vine said:

james hetfield metal GIF

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Just based on that description; have him apply for the FOrty Acres Scholars  as well.  

working on that one next. the other three applied and made it to the first round or so of consideration. but then YOU rejected them... HAHA. fortunately, they earned other scholarships from more considerate and thoughtful programs. 🙂

I Wouldn’t have had anything to do with rejecting or accepting anybody in engineering.  They know better than to let me in a room with kids they would ask questions way the fuck over my head.  Maybe can help give some pointers in plan II.  Sorry Man; just trying to be helpful in old age during pandemic to square myself with god.  

56 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I Wouldn’t have had anything to do with rejecting or accepting anybody in engineering.  They know better than to let me in a room with kids they would ask questions way the fuck over my head.  Maybe can help give some pointers in plan II.  Sorry Man; just trying to be helpful in old age during pandemic to square myself with god.  

i was just kidding with you. we are good to go at this point. but will reach out with any questions if they come up. thanks lobo!

On 10/19/2020 at 1:20 PM, Longhorn94 said:

My son submitted his application to Texas. He is applying to College of Engineering (EE), Engineering Honors, Plan II, etc... He will be auto-admitted into Texas. Hopefully, he joins his two older brothers in Plan II. If he gets into EE and Plan II, he will go to Texas. If not, we will wait to hear back from MIT, Harvard, Cal, UCLA, and Stanford. This one bleeds burnt orange so it will be pretty surprising if he doesnt go to Texas.

Anyone else have a kid applying now?

My dumbass son who is a freshman MechE major at UT right now didn't read the Plan II instructions correctly so he didn't realize you needed to have a major in the College of Liberal Arts as one of your two choices to go into Plan II.  He put down two engineering majors instead.  Oops.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, chitwood said:

My dumbass son who is a freshman MechE major at UT right now didn't read the Plan II instructions correctly so he didn't realize you needed to have a major in the College of Liberal Arts as one of your two choices to go into Plan II.  He put down two engineering majors instead.  Oops.

yeah, mine have always listed Plan II as their second choice. 

Im not sure Plan II and an engineering major serve any real purpose except to demonstrate masochism on the part of the student.

If you are going to be a patent lawyer, it might be good prep for law school, but other than that . . . It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap, you better get out while you're young.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Im not sure Plan II and an engineering major serve any real purpose except to demonstrate masochism on the part of the student.

If you are going to be a patent lawyer, it might be good prep for law school, but other than that . . . It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap, you better get out while you're young.

Plan II served as a wonderful compliment to CS for our oldest and his roommates who were EE / Plan II. All of them are now living in Seattle together working at Amazon, Microsoft, etc and they are all much better prepared for their jobs than their peers who did not learn the Plan II core curriculum and how to write and research 50+ page theses.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, chitwood said:

He did get into Honors Engineering, which besides from the nice check, I’m not sure what that means. 

Back in the day, it meant you got honors sections of Physics and Calculus.  Which meant two of the best teachers on the 40 Acres, William T. Guy and Austin Gleeson.  It also meant that your peers in those classes were ones considerably less likely to bail on engineering.

I'm not sure how that works anymore, but there was some value to having generally really smart peers, instead of the sort of average dipshit who wasn't equipped for Texas engineering, either intellectually or academically. Meaning, honors engineering students were vetted for having good hs grades in higher level math and physics and a little demonstrated aptitude for engineering subjects. Back then, the attrition rate was a little more than 2/3.  And those two professors were pretty priceless, especially Dr. Guy.

Although the courses were rigorous, there was kind of an A-B curve for all but the fuckups.  People in the honors section didn't bail at the same high rate as normal sections.  That can be kind of contagious.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/18/2020 at 2:53 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Question about transferring in:  my daughter is destroying it at UTSA on the CAP program, as I knew she would.  Very high A's this summer and so far very high this fall.  Combined with 3 AP test scores, she will likely hit 24 credit hours with a 4.0 by the end of this fall.  Technically, 24 hours is the transfer threshold into UT-Austin.

So, we're wondering if she could just bypass the rest of the CAP program and transfer in.  Anybody try that with their kid?  Any downside to trying?

I asked this same question of the admissions counselor last year.

She said you absolutely could but you would be processed in the transfer pool without any consideration for being in the CAP program.

She was optimistic but said the only thing that would inhibit admissions for high gpa transfers would be the highly competitive majors.

Mine is considering it, though uta nursing has done a good job of giving her special attention. It's just been difficult to fall in love with the campus life due to covid, and, well, Arlington.

Edited by pacman

30 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Used to only honors program kids could live in the honors dorm (Andrews? It had its own cafeteria in the basement). I got talked out of it to live with my buddy at Castilian. ::vomit:: 

It's still the same.

Edited by Longhorn94

8 minutes ago, pacman said:

She said you absolutely could but you would be processed in the transfer pool without any consideration for being in the CAP program.

She was optimistic but said the only thing that would inhibit admissions for high gpa transfers would be the highly competitive majors.

Mine is considering it, though uta nursing has done a good job of giving her special attention. It's just been difficult to fall in love with the campus life due to covid, and, well, Arlington.

yeah, we decided to pass.  Deadline was Oct 1 and it just didn't seem likely that they would put any weight on 9 current hours with nothing but almost-midterm grades.

She'll just start at UT this summer/fall.

I lived in the Castle on the top, "quiet" floor.  There were three other honors engineering students on it.  One bailed to go to Carnegie-Mellon for CS.  UT didn't have a serious CS program at that time.

I guess I should add that, a lot of the time, bailing engineering is the right thing to do for a lot of kids.  Many just think "it's STEM, you can get a job" and that's about it.  It takes some smarts, some academic aptitude, and some "engineering aptitude" (usually involving some form of geekiness about cars, computers, robots, hifi/acoustics something).  You can be quite smart and just not cut out for it.  It's a good degree for other pursuits, but an awful lot of work if you have no interest.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I lived in the Castle on the top, "quiet" floor.  There were three other honors engineering students on it.  One bailed to go to Carnegie-Mellon for CS.  UT didn't have a serious CS program at that time.

I guess I should add that, a lot of the time, bailing engineering is the right thing to do for a lot of kids.  Many just think "it's STEM, you can get a job" and that's about it.  It takes some smarts, some academic aptitude, and some "engineering aptitude" (usually involving some form of geekiness about cars, computers, robots, hifi/acoustics something).  You can be quite smart and just not cut out for it.  It's a good degree for other pursuits, but an awful lot of work if you have no interest.

Now you tell me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, pacman said:

this makes me want to ask this question, which i feel like is a super long shot...

my niece is a freshman in the UNT Honors College, taking 15 hours, including honors courses, and is also completely destroying it. she had 15 AP hours including two UT courses (i think the program was called OnRamps?), so by the end of spring semester she should have over 40 hours and almost certainly a 4.0.

but she was only top 15% ('only' haha...Anderson HS, she got the guidance counselor to tell her her rank) so she didn't even bother to apply to UT (she also fears rejection but we're working on that lol).

anyway, she is also having a hard time really engaging on campus b/c of covid - almost everything that she liked about UNT is 'closed' this semester, which is really sad, but everything is really sad right now.

so she has been making noise about wanting to transfer...to UT-Austin. here's the thing - she's a liberal arts major, which i am guessing is one of the less competitive colleges, but i don't know...?  

so the question is just, is it even worth it to try? what are the chances that anybody can just straight transfer into UT, without CAP or something? 

i was trying to reason it out myself, one of the things i was thinking was they may be desperate for students right now? as in, for the money?? if a lot of kids chose to skip a year b/c of covid and are saving money staying at home and doing community college at first...but then i'm like, the kids that get into UT aren't the ones going to community college first lol. 

anyway, i'm her 'counselor' in these matters so i'm trying to give her realistic advice. she may end up staying at UNT after all, she changes her mind every three weeks haha...but in the end, if UT-A is a possibility and she wants it...this aunt would love it! i just don't know if it's in the cards...

My kid remembered to put his shoes on before he left the house this morning...

Finally. Someone who feels my pain. Every other person on this board can take immense pleasure I. The wonderful things their kids are doing.... I will take joy in the simple things... like shoes and washes hair.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, mchookem said:

this makes me want to ask this question, which i feel like is a super long shot...

my niece is a freshman in the UNT Honors College, taking 15 hours, including honors courses, and is also completely destroying it. she had 15 AP hours including two UT courses (i think the program was called OnRamps?), so by the end of spring semester she should have over 40 hours and almost certainly a 4.0.

but she was only top 15% ('only' haha...Anderson HS, she got the guidance counselor to tell her her rank) so she didn't even bother to apply to UT (she also fears rejection but we're working on that lol).

anyway, she is also having a hard time really engaging on campus b/c of covid - almost everything that she liked about UNT is 'closed' this semester, which is really sad, but everything is really sad right now.

so she has been making noise about wanting to transfer...to UT-Austin. here's the thing - she's a liberal arts major, which i am guessing is one of the less competitive colleges, but i don't know...?  

so the question is just, is it even worth it to try? what are the chances that anybody can just straight transfer into UT, without CAP or something? 

i was trying to reason it out myself, one of the things i was thinking was they may be desperate for students right now? as in, for the money?? if a lot of kids chose to skip a year b/c of covid and are saving money staying at home and doing community college at first...but then i'm like, the kids that get into UT aren't the ones going to community college first lol. 

anyway, i'm her 'counselor' in these matters so i'm trying to give her realistic advice. she may end up staying at UNT after all, she changes her mind every three weeks haha...but in the end, if UT-A is a possibility and she wants it...this aunt would love it! i just don't know if it's in the cards...

The key, I was told, is to check the North Texas classes against UTs classes to see what will transfer. UT has a website that tells you whether or not the institutions classes will transfer to UT. Her best bet is to take as many as possible that will transfer and do well in them. I would encourage her to speak with admissions on the matter.

On 10/21/2020 at 12:33 PM, mchookem said:

i was trying to reason it out myself, one of the things i was thinking was they may be desperate for students right now? as in, for the money??

In my discussions with UT-Admissions, this is not the case.  They have had no problem filling their quota.

My daughter will be finishing out her CAP year "at" UTSA (from a room in our Austin house) and should have no problem with the transfer.  It was an extreme long shot to transfer into UT in January, because her fall semester grades are not final yet.  C'est la vie.  Unless something drastic happens in the next month, she'll have a 4.0 cumulative, which means she needs 3 C's and 2 B's in the spring to make the cut into Austin next fall.  I'm good with that.  Add in AP and she should be a junior next fall.  Now I just have to convince her that it's best to live at home.  (OK, split an apartment with a couple of friends.)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/21/2020 at 3:30 PM, TexasBeta said:

Finally. Someone who feels my pain. Every other person on this board can take immense pleasure I. The wonderful things their kids are doing.... I will take joy in the simple things... like shoes and washes hair.

Well, keep this in mind... college might, but absolutely necessarily doesn't, mean shit as far as how your kid(s) will do in life.  More and more, college is becoming a less needed path to success in various avenues.  It's nice to have kids that do well, but in the long run, by the time they're 25 or 28 or whatnot, many kids who opted out of school (or couldn't get in where they wanted) will be in the same neighborhood as ones who did.

It's not quite 100% there yet, but my son (currently UT senior) has told me a lot about a whole boatload of his friends took other paths and will do great.  20 years ago college was necessary to do well except for trade careers - now, not so much.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Yes.  The scenario you described upthread sounded exactly like the one an attorney in Austin I just met.  He helped with a federal matter a couple of months ago and your story was the precise one he told me.  Just curious if you're him, nothing sinister.  

27 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yes.  The scenario you described upthread sounded exactly like the one an attorney in Austin I just met.  He helped with a federal matter a couple of months ago and your story was the precise one he told me.  Just curious if you're him, nothing sinister.  

Oh.  No, I'm definitely not an attorney.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fair point.  I figured he had said what he did for work one way or the other since he’s been on the site for awhile.  But I rarely care to remember people’s real life jobs.

I know ChitownDoc seems to work in health care.  Sawbonz and traumababe, as well.  And PhDhorn works in meteorology or climatology.  Or he should anyway  

almost 20 years later, I honestly don’t know if CampusLoopy really drove a capmetro bus or if that was just online schtick.  Hell, I knew Wheeler for ten years and had no idea what he did for work.  

When I got the mail today, there was a letter from UT for my son. They asked him to apply because the deadline for early decision or whatever is November 1st. (If he'd stayed in high school for four years he probably would have applied, because he has the grades, scores, and class rank, but he's trying to stay local because of his age.) Just a bit surprised at the last minute push by UT admissions. 

A&M has already accepted students.  A&M will accept students in the future.  A&M has always been accepting students. 

/GeorgeOrwell...who A&M doesn't know about because it requires reading classic works.  

Edited by Lobo

My oldest started the McCombs MSF program this past summer, will graduate with his BS in Petroleum Engineering this spring and have the finance masters in May of 22. Also found out he got accepted to this program today.  He said its a big deal. https://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/New-York/WSFM-Leadership-Program

He definitely has outkicked his genetics. Super proud of him...he was thrown a nasty curveball 85% of the way through plan A and has pivoted and mapped out a great path for himself 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 5

Our experience 4 years ago was that they start about now, but can go for a few months, especially in the competitive schools.

My son got his admission notice on the night of Jan. 20, 2016.  Something else happened that day, can't quite recall...

... now, 4 years later, he'll walk in May with a BSME but finish up in June-July (he did a few co-ops but is still pretty much "on schedule" for 4 years). 

His post-college short-term happenings are pretty cool.  More on that another time

I've said it before, many of us went to UT, for most of us it was a great experience and fun, etc.  But for a few who might have needed something extra, it completely, utterly transformed their life path and direction to a degree that's almost mind-blowing.  Phd Jr is one of those kids.  Best investment I ever made, and will ever make.  

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I am a bit excited, so please forgive me, but our 4th just learned that he has been admitted to the Cockrell School of Engineering - Electrical Engineering program AND to the Plan II Honors program. He will be our first to go through the EE program and our 3rd to be in Plan II, with our daughter being in Dean Scholars. She is now convinced that Plan II is sexist, especially in light of the fact that she had the highest SAT in the group. In sum, we could not be more proud of our newest Longhorn and are so excited for him to begin his journey.

Ok, sorry for bragging but this is the only place I can.

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Hook 'Em 6

• 2 months later...

Bump for the CAP offers.  My daughter didn't get accepted, but did get the CAP offer.  She was applying for the school of liberal arts, so the CAP program seems to make good sense if she really wants to go to UT.  A few questions for those who have been through the experience.  How hard is it to get into either UTSA or UTA if she uploads the agreement at the earliest possible time?  Any chance UTSA or UTA offers merit scholarships in the CAP program - she's gotten scholarship offers from other schools like UNT, Texas State, and Colo State.  Anything real downside to doing the CAP program that I'm missing?

I'll hang up and listen.