Surly kids applying / attending UT

Longhorn94

9 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

Son got into TX Mechanical Engineering program over the weekend. Still waiting to hear on Honors. I’m not really sure how big a deal that honors program is, but assume he will do it if he gets in. Proud of the lad. I was an 1100 SAT auto admit in 80’s and couldn’t even sniff getting in now. still waiting on Georgia Tech, Duke, Michigan and Stanford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congrats, i have 3 friends with kids in that ME honors program. it's weird all 3 want to go to law school, want nothing to do with an engineering job.

Edited by tx 3 putt

21 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

Understood.  I was focusing more on the idea of CS + Cyber focus/certificate at Purdue versus a Cybersecurity degree from the Polytech college at Purdue.

Fwiw, the certificates in the CS department are really just confirmation that the student took 3-4 CS classes with specific focus.

This is an important distinction. And I say this as someone who hires people with both degrees.

Cybersecurity degrees are pretty meh. I personally tend to favor people with CS Degrees and a Cybersecurity track. Newer employees with CS degrees will plug into the SecDevOps model easier than someone with a Cybersecurity degree. People with Cybersecurity degrees tend to end up in the compliance/risk management field that doesn't pay nearly as well as the Cybersecurity field.

Plus the C.S. degree gives you a lot more options in the event that you discover security isn't for you.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/29/2021 at 1:13 PM, Lobo said:

I dunno, everybody I know that went to UT Law was a raging partier back then and remains an insane, albeit high functioning, raging alcoholic to this day.  

That was not the fun kind of drinking for the most part.  It was sorrow and misery drinking.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

congrats, i have 3 friends with kids in that ME honors program. it's weird all 3 want to go to law school, want nothing to do with an engineering job.

I was one of two that went straight to law school.  But numerous of my peers wound up as patent attorneys.  A lot got MBAs, too, and headed toward finance.

If you stick around for a few years in ME jobs, I think opportunities open up, but it can look a little bleak right out of school.  Sure, you'll get a job that pays pretty well, but it looks very  "corporate cog" in many instances.  And a lot of people feel like, well, fuck, if I'm going to have to go into management to advance, I might as well prepare myself for something engineering-tangential.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I was one of two that went straight to law school.  But numerous of my peers wound up as patent attorneys.  A lot got MBAs, too, and headed toward finance.

If you stick around for a few years in ME jobs, I think opportunities open up, but it can look a little bleak right out of school.  Sure, you'll get a job that pays pretty well, but it looks very  "corporate cog" in many instances.  And a lot of people feel like, well, fuck, if I'm going to have to go into management to advance, I might as well prepare myself for something engineering-tangential.

yes, all 3 want to go into patent law. none of them are 'gear heads'

if you're a 'gear head', you stay in engineering. if you have any business sense and personality (most engineers are 0/0 here) move to the business side. an mba helps but can't over come an engineer personality. i learned very early on from watching very smart, technical savoy engineers that I didn't want that life. jumped to the business side the first opportunity i could. haven't looked back sense. my hidden talent is identifying talent. 

like most ChemE's, we get hired into other engineering fields and quickly pick up things but most ChemE's have the personality of rocks

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

yes, all 3 want to go into patent law. none of them are 'gear heads'

if you're a 'gear head', you stay in engineering. if you have any business sense and personality (most engineers are 0/0 here) move to the business side. an mba helps but can't over come an engineer personality. i learned very early on from watching very smart, technical savoy engineers that I didn't want that life. jumped to the business side the first opportunity i could. haven't looked back sense. my hidden talent is identifying talent. 

download (5)

• Haha 5

38 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I always assumed that you were a patent attorney.

14 minutes ago, F250 said:

I always assumed that you were a patent attorney.

Yeah, I am.  The other dude that went did eminent domain for a couple of years and then went into "business."  He was a really smart fucker, both at engineering (3.9 GPA) and law, which is somewhat rare, as it often takes engineers a while to adjust their thinking.

And, I'm still a pretty big geek.  I really enjoy learning new technologies and what goes into even some pretty prosaic shit (many/most patents are on pretty prosaic shit).  I'm just glad I'm on the back end, understanding stuff, rather than on the front end, having to come up with it.  I used to enjoy litigation, but not no mo.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I am.  The other dude that went did eminent domain for a couple of years and then went into "business."  He was a really smart fucker, both at engineering (3.9 GPA) and law, which is somewhat rare, as it often takes engineers a while to adjust their thinking.

And, I'm still a pretty big geek.  I really enjoy learning new technologies and what goes into even some pretty prosaic shit (many/most patents are on pretty prosaic shit).  I'm just glad I'm on the back end, understanding stuff, rather than on the front end, having to come up with it.  I used to enjoy litigation, but not no mo.

I thought so. I remember an API discussion here and thought that you sounded like an IP attorney. Most of my career has been with Silicon Valley companies and I've had a lot of interaction with IP lawyers.

Currently dealing with some and everyday after work.

Frustrated The Sopranos GIF

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

I thought so. I remember an API discussion here and thought that you sounded like an IP attorney. Most of my career has been with Silicon Valley companies and I've had a lot of interaction with IP lawyers.

Currently dealing with some and everyday after work.

Frustrated The Sopranos GIF

Patents on software have to be a beating these days.

The only ones I deal with, albeit rather frequently, are basically controls for machines, which avoid all the 101 eligibility bullshit, for the most part.

I also do pretty much all IP, trademarks, copyright, trade secrets, covenants not to compete.  That's increasingly rare these days.  I crave variety.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/15/2022 at 10:17 PM, boilerhorn said:

Purdue has a really strong CS department, but be 100% sure you understand what degree is being sought in cyber security.  Similar to UT, Purdue CS has a CS degree with a security track.  My oldest did CS at UT and got the security certificate.

Purdue offers a cybersecurity degree through its Polytechnic Institute.  Purdue has a "T" counterpart to just about every engineering major they offer - in the Polytech Institute (which was not called that when I attended many years ago).  I studied EE (ECE) while at Purdue and there was also an EET major.  There was almost zero crossover or interaction between EE and EET majors.  EE was far more theoretical and far more mathematically and fundamentally rigorous than EET.  Moreover, EET was far more application oriented.  In some ways the EE is to EET what CS is to MIS.  It's as close a comparison as I can easily muster.

Here is a link to a Cyber Security major offered in the Polytech side:
https://polytechnic.purdue.edu/degrees/cybersecurity
The ranking reference is a little misleading, IMO, as I cannot see how this specific degree (from the "T" school) would rank above a Michigan CS degree in anything.  A security certificate from the Purdue CS department?  Yes. 

If your student was planning CS at a top school like UT or Purdue and is interested in cyber security, I'd be cautious about the above path.  It will be far more of an applied role.  Most security oriented courses in a CS department will focus more on the mathematics, algorithms, crypto, etc.  There will be classes where you will need to use C or assembly code to hack weak operating systems (via buffer overflows, etc.).  The "T" option would not have that.

Another interesting note: both Purdue's and Texas's CS departments are part of the Science Colleges and were initially offshoots of the Math departments.  

As for West Lafayette, it's not the most cosmopolitan place in the world, but it has come a long way in the past 30+ years.  Plus it's 60 miles from Indianapolis and 120 miles from Chicago.  Not that you want your kid driving to Chicago every weekend :)

Thanks. Purdue visit scheduled for end of February.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Stumbled back on this and remembered a little over 4 yrs. ago when we were stressin' over admission, etc.

A little over 4 years later, he did it!!   Now a Longhorn with letters!  Walked in May, diploma'd last month.

Vangradlisting1.thumb.png.ebf69efd2b7a3d73f7e44b9b26dd5418.png

Congrats, sir!  This is quite awesome and you should be proud (as I suspect you are)!

10 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

Congrats, sir!  This is quite awesome and you should be proud (as I suspect you are)!

Quite proud.  My kid was one of those for whom UT was exceptional in forming him.  He entered a relatively shy, insecure kid with not tons of self-esteem and emerged like a whole different person.  Sure some of it was simply growing into an adult, but I wish I had the 35 pages I needed to detail how going to UT specifically transformed the kid into something to behold.

I know he's proud of it because he went out and bought like a $300 diploma frame a few months ago, and now he's got it.  He's currently doing something else than engineering but I know he's exceptionally proud to be a UT grad, in Engineering nonetheless.

I feel for the "entering" parents who chew nails over the process, remembering how it was when we were waiting.  One more time I'll recite this for applying HS seniors, it definitely worked for us (my kid wasn't top 7 or anything like that).  In the immortal words of Brad Hamilton to Jeff Spicoli in Fast Times:  

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

And that is this:  The essays are critical.  Don't be afraid to express yourself and especially your humanity.  Be honest and up front.  Have a plan for how you can help others with your UT education without being fakely philanthropic; be sincere.  They can smell B.S. pretty easily.

They get 4,000 applications from kids who include stuff on resumes like "I was President of the European Union, won 5 Nobel Prizes, and singlehandedly waved my hand to stop the hurricane."  That's all well and good and needed, but they're looking for something that will make you stand out from the other applications, which are essentially dead even.  And by stand out I don't mean accomplishment (although those are fine), but a perspective, an honest reporting about yourself and what you want to do.  If you  just say "get a job", uh, don't expect much.  But if you can admit your strengths and faults (to a degree), they get a good picture of you and why and how UT can help you.

I'm convinced this got my kid in (well he had a strong ACT but still).  They do read them and love to see a well-defined portrait of the candidate besides the usual schpiel about how great you've done so far.  Good luck (well, probably not this year, it's past time, but.. next year!).

• Hook 'Em 5

Stumbled back on this and remembered a little over 4 yrs. ago when we were stressin' over admission, etc.

A little over 4 years later, he did it!!   Now a Longhorn with letters!  Walked in May, diploma'd last month.

Vangradlisting1.thumb.png.ebf69efd2b7a3d73f7e44b9b26dd5418.png

That’s fantastic. Congrats . My son just got into the mechanical engineering program last week. Hoping it brings the same growth that it did for your boy. Congrats again.

Hook ‘em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, txhorns said:

My kid got his acceptance email tonight!  It’s pretty amazing because I honestly didn’t think he had that great of a chance to get in considering his situation.  He goes to a high school with 50 kids in it, 11 in his class, and he won’t be the valedictorian.  I guess a 1400 on the SAT, being involved in every extra curricular activity offered under the sun and a solid essay got him in.

My daughter got hers last night too!  Very proud of her...she did the application herself and didn't submit SAT or ACT so must have been a good essay.

To add to the anecdotal statistics, she's AISD, top 10% but not top 6%, as mentioned no scores submitted, and accepted to college of Education.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

My daughter made me sad last night, she got in to natural sciences in one of the honors programs and said meh, just another school.  She is way smarter than I am and probably will go in to great things but to have UT as a safety school made me sad.

I don’t think there will be a third generation horn in my family.  My dad also graduated after a few tries.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/22/2022 at 9:13 AM, phdhorn said:

Quite proud.  My kid was one of those for whom UT was exceptional in forming him.  He entered a relatively shy, insecure kid with not tons of self-esteem and emerged like a whole different person.  Sure some of it was simply growing into an adult, but I wish I had the 35 pages I needed to detail how going to UT specifically transformed the kid into something to behold.

I know he's proud of it because he went out and bought like a $300 diploma frame a few months ago, and now he's got it.  He's currently doing something else than engineering but I know he's exceptionally proud to be a UT grad, in Engineering nonetheless.

I feel for the "entering" parents who chew nails over the process, remembering how it was when we were waiting.  One more time I'll recite this for applying HS seniors, it definitely worked for us (my kid wasn't top 7 or anything like that).  In the immortal words of Brad Hamilton to Jeff Spicoli in Fast Times:  

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

And that is this:  The essays are critical.  Don't be afraid to express yourself and especially your humanity.  Be honest and up front.  Have a plan for how you can help others with your UT education without being fakely philanthropic; be sincere.  They can smell B.S. pretty easily.

They get 4,000 applications from kids who include stuff on resumes like "I was President of the European Union, won 5 Nobel Prizes, and singlehandedly waved my hand to stop the hurricane."  That's all well and good and needed, but they're looking for something that will make you stand out from the other applications, which are essentially dead even.  And by stand out I don't mean accomplishment (although those are fine), but a perspective, an honest reporting about yourself and what you want to do.  If you  just say "get a job", uh, don't expect much.  But if you can admit your strengths and faults (to a degree), they get a good picture of you and why and how UT can help you.

I'm convinced this got my kid in (well he had a strong ACT but still).  They do read them and love to see a well-defined portrait of the candidate besides the usual schpiel about how great you've done so far.  Good luck (well, probably not this year, it's past time, but.. next year!).

This is all very very true.  My daughter is a freshman there got in despite not being top anything % and dyslexic.  She did get a very good ACT score.

For her year the main essay prompt was to write about a challenge you had to overcome in your educational career etc.  Having dyslexia that was a middle/middle pitch she could drive out of the park, but even short answer stuff like "talk about where you have exhibited leadership?"  she didn't bullshit, or even write about some of the school leadership positions she had held.  She wrote an honest response talking about basic leadership she had to exhibit in the various jobs she held babysitting/nannying for several families through high school.  How she had to build trust with her different customers, set expectations, hold accountable, make decisions and communicate.... blah blah blah.   It wasn't some contrived "I held all these positions and saved the world" BS.   It was "here are the things I did to get adults and their kids to buy into me and make life smooth for all of us."  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/22/2022 at 9:13 AM, phdhorn said:

This is extremely important. One of my UT daughters is graduating in May and going through Med schools applications/interview process. She had an interview last week where the interviewing Doc said it was THE BEST essay he's ever read for someone applying to that school. 

Have your kids spend the extra 2 or 3 hours in perfecting that essay. It can make a huge difference.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 months later...

My niece just accepted her offer of admittance to UT this morning after mulling it over, for far too long, with a few other schools!  She's lived her entire life in College Station, with Aggie parents to boot, so I feel like my work here is done.   😀

Happy Tears Cry GIF by Farmer Wants A Wife

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Borachio said:

My niece just accepted her offer of admittance to UT this morning after mulling it over, for far too long, with a few other schools!  She's lived her entire life in College Station, with Aggie parents to boot, so I feel like my work here is done.   😀

Happy Tears Cry GIF by Farmer Wants A Wife

congrats. you just got your niece disowned and removed from the will.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Just stopping by to close out my portion of this thread, as my daughter (still no pics) will graduate this Friday with High Honors from the Moody College.  It really doesn't seem possible that it's been 4 years, but there's certainly been a couple crazy years in the middle.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Kid #1 graduated Plan II / CS in 2020 and just got his first promotion as a software engineer at Amazon.

Kid #2 graduated Plan II / Economics in May and is in the middle of his first day at UT Law.

Kid #3 is a senior in Dean's Honors / Environmental Science, first day back at UT after spending last Spring at UCL studying abroad, and is in the process of applying to PhD programs.

Kid #4 is a sophomore in Plan II / EE and is excited to be back on campus even though he has 5 classes on Mondays...

Kid #5 is rocking it at LT and is ready to take his place at UT in a few years.

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

My daughter starts her sophomore year today after making it through the CAP program. It's getting very dusty in my office looking at her pictures from campus. 

My daughter is now a junior via CAP, and my son is a frosh in CAP at Tyler.

Any port in a fucking storm.  Not sure the son is cut out for UT, but we'll see.  Daughter is crushing it, as I knew she would.  She would have made it in her freshman year had she not focused so hard on music in HS, but honestly, I'm happy for her.  It's a good lesson -- be well rounded, forge your own path. Life rewards those who know who they are.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2

Thing 1 starts his junior year with senior hours on the 40 via CAP. His mom thinks he can graduate by the end of the year or summer if he pushes it. I’m encouraging him to take 12 hours and pick up another minor and stay for the full four. I think he’s more than an even toss of going to law school so there is no need to rush

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

My daughter starts her sophomore year today after making it through the CAP program. It's getting very dusty in my office looking at her pictures from campus. 

Mine too.  Working with younger daughter on her applications for next year.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 8/22/2022 at 12:59 PM, Longhorn94 said:

Kid #1 graduated Plan II / CS in 2020 and just got his first promotion as a software engineer at Amazon.

Kid #2 graduated Plan II / Economics in May and is in the middle of his first day at UT Law.

Kid #3 is a senior in Dean's Honors / Environmental Science, first day back at UT after spending last Spring at UCL studying abroad, and is in the process of applying to PhD programs.

Kid #4 is a sophomore in Plan II / EE and is excited to be back on campus even though he has 5 classes on Mondays...

Kid #5 is rocking it at LT and is ready to take his place at UT in a few years.

Damn you must have married a very smart woman.  

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Congratulations! My son also was accepted Monday to the school of engineering. He’s grown up a longhorn and we all shed a tear of joy. He’s visited several colleges and has been offered a lot of money at other colleges so the decision isn’t so easy.

He did a 2nd visit to Bama, which is offering full tuition, 1st year housing and a $3,500 a year stipend. I went on the 2nd trip because I was low on Bama but I was really impressed. It’s a beautiful, clean place with amazing staff.

LSU is offering a lot of money too, my wife went there and I’ve been a lot. I went to the admitted student day a couple weeks ago with him to hear their plug. It’s an amazing campus with a lot of tradition.

We are waiting on Florida State, which we think may also be offering a lot of money. He had FSU as his #1 after his visit this last fall.

I don’t think he was getting his hopes up he’d get into UT but now that he did I think he’s really in turmoil. It’s going to be a really hard choice. So much to consider, it’s really hard for me to choose too, even as much as a diehard longhorn I am. I think his heart is at Texas. Can’t wait to learn where he decides!

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, dlatin said:

Congratulations! My son also was accepted Monday to the school of engineering. He’s grown up a longhorn and we all shed a tear of joy. He’s visited several colleges and has been offered a lot of money at other colleges so the decision isn’t so easy.

He did a 2nd visit to Bama, which is offering full tuition, 1st year housing and a $3,500 a year stipend. I went on the 2nd trip because I was low on Bama but I was really impressed. It’s a beautiful, clean place with amazing staff.

LSU is offering a lot of money too, my wife went there and I’ve been a lot. I went to the admitted student day a couple weeks ago with him to hear their plug. It’s an amazing campus with a lot of tradition.

We are waiting on Florida State, which we think may also be offering a lot of money. He had FSU as his #1 after his visit this last fall.

I don’t think he was getting his hopes up he’d get into UT but now that he did I think he’s really in turmoil. It’s going to be a really hard choice. So much to consider, it’s really hard for me to choose too, even as much as a diehard longhorn I am. I think his heart is at Texas. Can’t wait to learn where he decides!

How much money is UT giving, if any?