Surly kids applying / attending UT

Longhorn94

UT-Arlington is a little more competitive than UT-San Antonio, but not by a huge margin.  Acceptance/scholarship would depend on which program at each of those two.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

UT-Arlington is a little more competitive than UT-San Antonio, but not by a huge margin.  Acceptance/scholarship would depend on which program at each of those two.

With the CAP offer, students are already accepted to these other schools.  There are a list of courses they have to choose from for their required 30 hours.  If they make 3.2 in those 30 hours, they are automatically accepted into the UT school of liberal arts the next year.  Not sure if they actually pick a program at UTA/UTSA or not.  I'm just wondering if UTA/UTSA offers scholarships to CAP students.

Will be following this closely as my youngest daughter is in the midst of trying to decide/get accepted into various schools. She is actually a pretty good student but has the bad habit of putting everything off until the last moment, school assignments included. She did get a partial scholarship offer to U of Oregon, but only around $7,500.00 a year which is hardly worth considering given all that it would involve going to school that far away. Ideally she will do the CAP/ UTSA to UT(her preferred school) route. Not sure if UT Dallas participates as well. She also has friends that are going to Colorado, Colo.St. and Oregon State, and they are all looking for someone to tag along. This is the part where it gets dicey as we have a fair amount of money in the Texas Tomorrow Fund, and going out of state kind of hinders that.

Mrs. Hovis is a Tech grad with a Masters in Engineering but try as she might the daughter wants no part of Lubbock. 

By the way looking at marketing programs(food related?)so to me there should be a number of options within state.

I needs the help.

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Did they ever make that change to texas tomorrow fund, where for a small one-time penalty...you could roll it into a traditional 529(b)? 

I don't know, and to be honest I have to read up on all details per situation as we made the mistake of assuming she would go to school in state. As related to going out of state I believe  it's just a matter of cashing out the funds.

1 hour ago, Jambon said:

My son got accepted to UT CS and am beyond happy.  After hearing countless horror stories of high achieving kids not getting accepted into the CS program, I really didn't know what his chances would be.  This will be life changing for him to be able to attend one of the best CS programs in the country.  Hook'em!

congrats to you and your boy. our oldest graduated from the CS program in May '20 with a job offer as a software engineer at Amazon in Seattle. it is a great program and its grads are highly thought of and sought after.

• Hook 'Em 2

Hearing stories that the combination of applications for 2021 Fall and deferrals of kids originally accepted from Fall 2020 who are now planning to attend in 2021 have resulted in an unprecedented amount of demand for whatever spots UT (and I'm sure other schools) have available for Fall 2021 entry. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/2/2021 at 10:46 AM, Jerry Callo said:

With the CAP offer, students are already accepted to these other schools.  There are a list of courses they have to choose from for their required 30 hours.  If they make 3.2 in those 30 hours, they are automatically accepted into the UT school of liberal arts the next year.  Not sure if they actually pick a program at UTA/UTSA or not.  I'm just wondering if UTA/UTSA offers scholarships to CAP students.

Glad I found this topic. My daughter received the CAP offer as well. She was accepted to several New York schools, so the CAP offer was a nice surprise for me to keep her close. 

I'm not totally fimillar with it, but I'm assuming it's still something special that not everyone gets offered. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

congrats to you and your boy. our oldest graduated from the CS program in May '20 with a job offer as a software engineer at Amazon in Seattle. it is a great program and its grads are highly thought of and sought after.

Yeah most UT grads are very well courted for work after graduation.  But in particular, I remember a handful of FAS horns a couple years ago showing me their job offers for having finished CS (some also had other majors).  They were sort of half showing off and half asking my opinion.  It's really fucking hard to keep a straight face with a 22 year old holding a written offer that pays more in one year than I made in my first 3 or 4 outta school.  Nevermind the NQSO/ISO, relocation stipend, other bells & whistles.  Our Computer Sciences programs have absolutely blown up on the international scene in the last decade.  It's been incredible to watch the caliber of students.  

Congrats to y’all who’s kids are getting in.  I hope to be posting the same in 10, 12, and 13 years (Jesus time is flying) from now.  If I disappear from the boards around that time it’ll be from shame of them only getting into aggy. 

*my oldest wants to be a vet. She asked me last year if she can go to atm to be a vet, but still root for the horns lol.  

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 2

Congrats to the UT CS admits!  If your kid wanted UT CS but didn't get in and is dissapointed, fear not.  Encourage them to go to another school and code their ass off.  After they are done coding for the day, code some more.  Learn the tools.  Crank out some projects.  I interviewed a lot of CS grads and some really could code and some really could not.  It might be a little harder to get that first job but a little hustle and sweat will go a long way.

Oh, and if your kid has a dream company, tell them to go for it to the point of annoying hiring managers.  Eventually they will find one that may want them on the team.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Hook 'Em 2

Those CAP spots fill up fast.  I literally hit "send" at minute one for UTSA and my daughter got in, but she had friends who tried the next day and didn't.  She's killing it, has a high 4.0 and will do the same at UT I'm sure, so for the right kid looking at the right majors, I think it's an awesome program, but it's not a ticket to McCombs or engineering or anything like that.  She's starting to waffle and thinking she might want to do med school instead of a doctorate in Psych, and my advice (ahem, strongly worded) is "just get on the 40 Acres and we'll sort it out from there".

Kids.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Congrats to y’all who’s kids are getting in.  I hope to be posting the same in 10, 12, and 13 years (Jesus time is flying) from now.  If I disappear from the boards around that time it’ll be from shame of them only getting into aggy. 

*my oldest wants to be a vet. She asked me last year if she can go to atm to be a vet, but still root for the horns lol.  

Tell her to aim for a top tier vet school like Colorado State, UC Davis, or Cornell. Hell, Tech’s vet school will probably surpass aggy within a decade of existing.
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Tell her to aim for a top tier vet school like Colorado State, UC Davis, or Cornell. Hell, Tech’s vet school will probably surpass aggy within a decade of existing.

UGA is very good as well (according to my buddy the vet, although he went there, so he's probably biased).

Yeah most UT grads are very well courted for work after graduation.  But in particular, I remember a handful of FAS horns a couple years ago showing me their job offers for having finished CS (some also had other majors).  They were sort of half showing off and half asking my opinion.  It's really fucking hard to keep a straight face with a 22 year old holding a written offer that pays more in one year than I made in my first 3 or 4 outta school.  Nevermind the NQSO/ISO, relocation stipend, other bells & whistles.  Our Computer Sciences programs have absolutely blown up on the international scene in the last decade.  It's been incredible to watch the caliber of students.  

This is from Twitter and shows the peer group UT CS is among:

783c283f845fb9a21d03cb11fad17c8a.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

What's the earliest a kid can apply to UT?  Is it safe to assume that different schools within the campus have different time frames?  Just curious.  I could have sworn I was accepted to McCombs as a junior; however, in thinking about it now, that doesn't sound right.

I can't say for sure, but I can definitely attest to the fact that the various UT campuses are not wholly consistent in terms of calendars, tuition & fee changes, price breaks, etc.  They seem to operate independently, or at the very least, there is a concerted effort at the system level to avoid a level playing field.

• Hook 'Em 1

That's what I figured.  My son will be in 9th grade next year.  I know we've got a couple of years before we have to think about this, but I'll be following this thread closely.  He's a hell of a lot more intelligent and harder-working than I was at his age.  He's currently in Duke University's Talent ID Program.  Next year he'll be in IB.  I know things can change but, at this point, I'd be shocked if he didn't attend UT.  

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

What's the earliest a kid can apply to UT?  Is it safe to assume that different schools within the campus have different time frames?  Just curious.  I could have sworn I was accepted to McCombs as a junior; however, in thinking about it now, that doesn't sound right.

(Dad of current UT senior)the traditional application deadline for several years has been university-wide, December 1. I think there's an honors application that's due November 1. Different schools may have different sub material that has later deadlines. But I think everybody has to apply by 12/1. Covid may have thrown off the deadlines last year (for 21-22), not sure about the 22 Fall.

Make sure you guys read up on your specific intended college requirements if any, it's easy to find on their site. But usually they're not all that different.

(Last semester paying tuition! Whoopee!)

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, phdhorn said:

(Dad of current UT senior)the traditional application deadline for several years has been university-wide, December 1. I think there's an honors application that's due November 1. Different schools may have different sub material that has later deadlines. But I think everybody has to apply by 12/1. Covid may have thrown off the deadlines last year (for 21-22), not sure about the 22 Fall.

Make sure you guys read up on your specific intended college requirements if any, it's easy to find on their site. But usually they're not all that different.

Thanks and congrats!

6 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Thanks and congrats!

6 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That's what I figured.  My son will be in 9th grade next year.  I know we've got a couple of years before we have to think about this, but I'll be following this thread closely.  He's a hell of a lot more intelligent and harder-working than I was at his age.  He's currently in Duke University's Talent ID Program.  Next year he'll be in IB.  I know things can change but, at this point, I'd be shocked if he didn't attend UT.  

Just make sure he is in the top 6% of his class.  This might change to an even lower percentage when he graduates.  There have been a ton of bright kids with extraordinary high school resumes who go to highly competitive high schools that do not get into UT because they are not in the top 6%. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So a couple of thoughts to keep in mind for the future:

1.  Early decision deadline this year was November 1.  Regular Decision was 12/1 and then extended to 12/15 (I assume as a deference to Covid and allowing the applicants a few more days to deal with any potential shitshow brought about by Covid). Neither of these deadlines had dick to do with a particular school...these were UT wide deadlines.  IIn theory what applying by 11/1 means is that you are promised a decision by 2/1 and by 12/1 (this past year 12/15) a decision by 3/1.   What that means in reality I don't know.  If you read all the boards out there (Reddit/College Confidential) people who were regular decision were getting decisions by 2/1 (though can't say all of them did)

2.  The odds:   So at a high level it breaks this way.  By state law Texas has to enroll 90% of their students from instate, the remaining 10% can be out of state/international.  Of the remaining 90% in state admit/enroll Texas law says 75% max can be as a result of the Top 10% auto admit rule (Top 6% and shrinking at Texas) and the remaining 25% from non-auto admits.  What that means in practice.  For next year Texas got a little over 66K applications which they look to accept about ~18K for a ~8500 enrollment yield.  Crunching the numbers the overall acceptance rate is somewhere in the 25-28% ballpark, the acceptance rate for out of state/international is 7-8% and for non-auto Texas resident admit somewhere around 13-14%.  Simply put, it's a dogfight

3.  Your auto-admit is nice, good for you.....it does not guarantee you get the major you want.  The promise of auto-admit is just that, a promise that you can got to The Fucking University of Texas at Austin.  You want to major in ChemE at Cockrell, or Finance at McCombs.....not so fast Mr or Mrs Auto....you may be good but you are not that good.  Here is a nice COLA major and have a nice life.  Auto-admit does not always mean you get your dream.  A lot of kids ultimately characterize the soft-reject aspect of auto admit without getting their major.  Yea, we will take you, but not for that.  Shit at UT is damn good and damn competitive now.

4.  CAP/PACE.  CAP, go enjoy UTA, UTSA or one of  several other UT campuses for a year.  Take 30 hours, get a 3.3 or above and sure you can come to THE Univeristiy of Texas, but for a COLA (College of Liberal Arts) degree and even in that case several are generally not kosher (Econ for example).  Get PACE (rare) you live on campus and take a class at UT and the rest at ACC.  Do well 3.3. for COLA or 3.5 I believe for Moody Comm and Texas lets you in there.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

By the way, post all that as someone who has a kid who made it the tough way (instate-non auto) but has a lot of friends who got their skulls split in the last week.  We're Texas, and we are a motherfucker these days.   Congrats to those who had kids who made it.  It's damn hard these days.  And for those who have HS kids Iin the pipe, goodbye and good luck. 

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 2/3/2021 at 9:57 PM, Texas Jeff said:

Congrats to the UT CS admits!  If your kid wanted UT CS but didn't get in and is dissapointed, fear not.  Encourage them to go to another school and code their ass off.  After they are done coding for the day, code some more.  Learn the tools.  Crank out some projects.  I interviewed a lot of CS grads and some really could code and some really could not.  It might be a little harder to get that first job but a little hustle and sweat will go a long way.

Oh, and if your kid has a dream company, tell them to go for it to the point of annoying hiring managers.  Eventually they will find one that may want them on the team.

This. I tell kids this all the time. Start working on projects. It will get you a lot further than you can imagine.

I posted on this thread a couple of years ago about my son getting CAP and ending up with an Air Force scholarship at UTSA. He also had a few baseball scholarships (partial). He is currently a Junior at UTSA and a third year AFROTC cadet/CS Major. He spent the last year working on a Kibana project during his free time. It's a great way to get experience before you hit the workforce.

I am a CS guy myself, I've worked with MIT, Stanford grads as well as college dropouts. If you know your shit, you will get hired.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

3.  Your auto-admit is nice, good for you.....it does not guarantee you get the major you want.  The promise of auto-admit is just that, a promise that you can got to The Fucking University of Texas at Austin.  You want to major in ChemE at Cockrell, or Finance at McCombs.....not so fast Mr or Mrs Auto....you may be good but you are not that good.  Here is a nice COLA major and have a nice life.  Auto-admit does not always mean you get your dream.  A lot of kids ultimately characterize the soft-reject aspect of auto admit without getting their major.  Yea, we will take you, but not for that.  Shit at UT is damn good and damn competitive now.

This is my only real concern.  The boy gets straight A's.  He got a 1060 on the SAT in 7th grade.  He works really hard and he doesn't seem like the type that will ever be lazy.  Hell, he's spending spring break doing some sort of software design project.  He's got this odd brain that he def didn't get from me.  For example, he can tell you every NFL player (2-deep), what college they went to, year they were drafted, and, usually, what round.

That being said, he wants to do computer science.  That's got to be a pretty competitive major.  I'm hoping his experience in the IB program combined with his volunteer work/side projects will help.

Like F-250 said above, work on shit besides just his grades.  Community service, those software projects, extra curriculars.  Anything that demonstrates he can take on more than just making good grades.  Lots of folks make good grades but that's all they do...  why is this candidate different?  Then when they get in college, keep the pedal to the floor with regard to internships and extra development.

My oldest majored in CS and is working on his masters through GaTech.  Employment opportunities are...um...numerous.

Edited by slorch

11 hours ago, Jambon said:

Just make sure he is in the top 6% of his class.  This might change to an even lower percentage when he graduates.

Be aware that top 6% will change by graduation, because students drop out their senior year.  If you're on that 6% line after your junior year, and (for instance) 15% of your senior class doesn't graduate, voila!  you're now at 7% and no longer an auto-admit.

11 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

4.  CAP/PACE.  CAP, go enjoy UTA, UTSA or one of  several other UT campuses for a year.  Take 30 hours, get a 3.3 or above and sure you can come to THE Univeristiy of Texas, but for a COLA (College of Liberal Arts) degree and even in that case several are generally not kosher (Econ for example). 

On CAP, also note your kid might actually like the satellite school and extra money they throw at him/her to keep them on their campus. Then, they will inform you they have no intention of transferring. Maybe she will try graduate school at UT...

Now it's up to the boy to become the 4th generation Horn..

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Be aware that top 6% will change by graduation, because students drop out their senior year.  If you're on that 6% line after your junior year, and (for instance) 15% of your senior class doesn't graduate, voila!  you're now at 7% and no longer an auto-admit.

3.2, 3.3 whatever it takes.

I'm guessing Top 6% is fixin to become Top 5% as applications continue to skyrocket.   Also not sure about veracity of last part.  I believe Texas considers your class rank as of December 1st of the year PRIOR to your potential fall admittance.  So kids graduating or not graduating doesn't impact that decision point (obviously class size changes related to kids moving in, moving out or dropping out over the summer between Jr and Sr year could impact).  And it applies both ways.  If you find yourself outside the cut line during fall of your senior year and then move inside that cut line in the spring of your senior year that does not all of a sudden get you auto admitted.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

3.2, 3.3 whatever it takes.

I'm guessing Top 6% is fixin to become Top 5% as applications continue to skyrocket.   Also not sure about veracity of last part.  I believe Texas considers your class rank as of December 1st of the year PRIOR to your potential fall admittance.  So kids graduating or not graduating doesn't impact that decision point (obviously class change sizes related to kids moving in, moving out or dropping out over the summer between Jr and Sr year could impoact).  And it applies both ways.  If you find yourself outside the cut line during fall of your senior year and then move inside that cut line in the spring of your senior year that does not all of a sudden get you auto admitted.  

There can be (and in my daughter's case there was) a significant reduction in class size between junior and senior year.  I'm just saying, kids need to avoid sitting right on the line if possible.

Our son is a freshman at UT this year and this thread reminds me of all the same questions we had last year. Your class rank is locked in at the end of your junior year in regards to your application. Whatever happens to your rank your senior year has no affect on your admittance. Our kid was barely in top 6% end of junior year and end of senior he dropped a few spots to top 7% despite his GPA going up. Despite that senior drop in rankings he was auto admin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/3/2021 at 2:59 PM, Lobo said:

The long slow build to higher salaries has given way to more competitive packages for young talent.  Probably good for a different thread, but the dynamics between loyalty- longevity- job hopping- quality of life-cutting corporate costs for Wall Street is fascinating to me.

Yeah, we should start a thread maybe on 6th Street Journal.  I'd be very interested to hear what more and more people out there are getting as far as initial offers, what makes them make their first/second job changes, gig economy comp, waiting out a shit job for shares to vest, etc.  We've got a good sampling here of parents of current undergrads and a bunch of recent UT grads.  Would like a directed conversation, would help me communicate with young people plus I'm just interested from a macro view.   But this is a very impactful economic trend that goes largely untalked about except in 1:1's between recent grads and their families/employers.  It effects millions of people for the first time each and every year.  We hear about the graduates that leave college and have to go back home to live because the economy wasn't able to absorb them.  But you don't hear much about the highly-recruited graduate who, right out of the gate, is taking down $125k plus equity.  That has ripple effects for them for 40 years.  Anyway, let's start it up. 

23 hours ago, North of Walburg said:

Our son is a freshman at UT this year and this thread reminds me of all the same questions we had last year. Your class rank is locked in at the end of your junior year in regards to your application. Whatever happens to your rank your senior year has no affect on your admittance. 

That is in direct contradiction to what I was told by UT admissions, with the only exception being that some decisions are made prior to 1st semester grades coming out, so they have to use the first 6 semesters only.

That said, college admissions departments aren't exactly consistent with what they tell parents, so it's possible we received bad information.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That is in direct contradiction to what I was told by UT admissions, with the only exception being that some decisions are made prior to 1st semester grades coming out, so they have to use the first 6 semesters only.

That said, college admissions departments aren't exactly consistent with what they tell parents, so it's possible we received bad information.

Think it's pretty easy to solve this.  If you have to apply by November 1 for a priority decision or December 1 for a regular decision....you don't have first semester grades.  

Submitting your transcript is one of the tasks you have to finish for your application to be considered complete.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1