Surly kids applying / attending UT

Longhorn94

On 10/30/2020 at 8:49 AM, phdhorn said:

More and more, college is becoming a less needed path to success in various avenues.  It's nice to have kids that do well, but in the long run, by the time they're 25 or 28 or whatnot, many kids who opted out of school (or couldn't get in where they wanted) will be in the same neighborhood as ones who did.

It's not quite 100% there yet, but my son (currently UT senior) has told me a lot about a whole boatload of his friends took other paths and will do great.  20 years ago college was necessary to do well except for trade careers - now, not so much.

I know you posted this awhile ago, but I'm interested in what paths you're seeing college degrees become less necessary? I could see business and CS, but curious about other areas you noticed this in. 

Edited by KYHorn

That is in direct contradiction to what I was told by UT admissions, with the only exception being that some decisions are made prior to 1st semester grades coming out, so they have to use the first 6 semesters only.
That said, college admissions departments aren't exactly consistent with what they tell parents, so it's possible we received bad information.

This was how it worked last year and the UT Admissions Rep that came to our high school described it the same way. Certainly possible they changed policies in the last year. But most, if not all, auto admin decisions come out in the fall before the high school semester has ended.

I don’t know if UT considers senior year grades/activities for major approval or non-auto admin since those determinations may not be made until the spring.

Our son’s preferred major was in COLA so it was not as competitive.

One other affect on class ranking that we discovered was early graduates did lower the end of the year junior class numbers. So, the class ranking percentage can drop based on the smaller class.

It appears that there will be some fees/penalties if you choose to attend private or certain out of state schools, I am reading up on that now .

My son is in grad school in Colorado and had excess hours in his TX Tomorrow Fund after undergrad. Colorado State accepts the TTF as having a cash value (not the principle you paid) as opposed to the hour credits it would replace at a Texas public university. Came to almost 300 bucks per credit hour remaining in the account. I was pleasantly surprised.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DaysOff said:

My son is in grad school in Colorado and had excess hours in his TX Tomorrow Fund after undergrad. Colorado State accepts the TTF as having a cash value (not the principle you paid) as opposed to the hour credits it would replace at a Texas public university. Came to almost 300 bucks per credit hour remaining in the account. I was pleasantly surprised.

I did something similar with extra TTF credits. It worked with an out of state private grad school.

17 hours ago, KYHorn said:

I know you posted this awhile ago, but I'm interested in what paths you're seeing college degrees become less necessary? I could see business and CS, but curious about other areas you noticed this in. 

Careers that are more in demand, which encompasses tons of tech and business.  Both my kids have told me about things like coding schools and simply programs that many business have to train people they hire in tech.   I just saw an article From US Bureau of Labor Statistics, of the 30 fastest growing job markets in 2020, a full 18 require an associate's degree or less (GED, HS Grad, etc.).  I don't have the details but sounds about right.

Again, it's not all there yet - college degrees often get good jobs, even if not in a field (bachelor's often required).  But I think it also has something to do with tech filtering down to Everyman the last 20 years and computer and business skills being so ubiquitous even in high school kids that many businesses are simply wanting to get them earlier and fresher and not waiting until they're 4 years older (kind of the equivalent of sports drafting H.S. kids or only requiring 1-2 years of college experience (depending on the sport) before hopping to the pros).

My son himself will get his B.E.E. this summer but has already moved to form two real estate companies with his buddy - who dropped out after 2 years of school.  My son has a job lined up, and a pretty good one, as a systems project manager, but he might not even get there if he gets a big deal by next fall. And I'd say chances are about 70% he'll get it.  He was very tempted to leave school (go into already established real estate offers) but decided to get the degree (much to my liking and gentle prodding).  

That said, his time at UT was the best thing that happened to him by far - and he is the first to admit it.   College was invaluable for him in learning what he liked - and didn't - as an engineer or related career, and it set him on his adult and career path.  That's why he's stayed; he really wants the UT sheepskin.  In fact he told me last week that instead of getting a class ring (which he decided he'd probably never wear, or toss in the drawer fairly quickly), he wants to spend a good amount of ameros on the diploma frame.  He's really, really proud of getting to graduate from UT.

Anyway, life is changing - again.  College wasn't really essential to good jobs - and was sort of the realm of the elites - until just after WWII.  Then it became almost indispensable by the latter half of the 20th Century (degree % among Americans went up from like 4%(!!) in the mid-1940's to about 35% in 2010 (still not nearly a majority).  I don't think it'll shrink back to single digits in the near future, but maybe 20-ish percent as companies continue to morph into places where a high school graduate can work.  Again it won't happen overnight, but I think it'll continue the slight downward recent trend of people getting degrees.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That is in direct contradiction to what I was told by UT admissions, with the only exception being that some decisions are made prior to 1st semester grades coming out, so they have to use the first 6 semesters only.

That said, college admissions departments aren't exactly consistent with what they tell parents, so it's possible we received bad information.

It is locked in at end of junior year.  Daughter missed it by 3 spots at Anderson, had a 1430 SAT, had a twin brother who was admitted and still didn't get in on appeal.  In long run, glad she is at Trinity.  With the scholarship she got, it turned out cheaper than UT and I think the small size is better for her.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 11:48 PM, Surly Bevo said:

So a couple of thoughts to keep in mind for the future:

1.  Early decision deadline this year was November 1.  Regular Decision was 12/1 and then extended to 12/15 (I assume as a deference to Covid and allowing the applicants a few more days to deal with any potential shitshow brought about by Covid). Neither of these deadlines had dick to do with a particular school...these were UT wide deadlines.  IIn theory what applying by 11/1 means is that you are promised a decision by 2/1 and by 12/1 (this past year 12/15) a decision by 3/1.   What that means in reality I don't know.  If you read all the boards out there (Reddit/College Confidential) people who were regular decision were getting decisions by 2/1 (though can't say all of them did)

2.  The odds:   So at a high level it breaks this way.  By state law Texas has to enroll 90% of their students from instate, the remaining 10% can be out of state/international.  Of the remaining 90% in state admit/enroll Texas law says 75% max can be as a result of the Top 10% auto admit rule (Top 6% and shrinking at Texas) and the remaining 25% from non-auto admits.  What that means in practice.  For next year Texas got a little over 66K applications which they look to accept about ~18K for a ~8500 enrollment yield.  Crunching the numbers the overall acceptance rate is somewhere in the 25-28% ballpark, the acceptance rate for out of state/international is 7-8% and for non-auto Texas resident admit somewhere around 13-14%.  Simply put, it's a dogfight

3.  Your auto-admit is nice, good for you.....it does not guarantee you get the major you want.  The promise of auto-admit is just that, a promise that you can got to The Fucking University of Texas at Austin.  You want to major in ChemE at Cockrell, or Finance at McCombs.....not so fast Mr or Mrs Auto....you may be good but you are not that good.  Here is a nice COLA major and have a nice life.  Auto-admit does not always mean you get your dream.  A lot of kids ultimately characterize the soft-reject aspect of auto admit without getting their major.  Yea, we will take you, but not for that.  Shit at UT is damn good and damn competitive now.

4.  CAP/PACE.  CAP, go enjoy UTA, UTSA or one of  several other UT campuses for a year.  Take 30 hours, get a 3.3 or above and sure you can come to THE Univeristiy of Texas, but for a COLA (College of Liberal Arts) degree and even in that case several are generally not kosher (Econ for example).  Get PACE (rare) you live on campus and take a class at UT and the rest at ACC.  Do well 3.3. for COLA or 3.5 I believe for Moody Comm and Texas lets you in there.  

Friend's daughter did the PACE as a 2019 Freshman and is now in Communications.

On 2/8/2021 at 12:02 PM, chitwood said:

It is locked in at end of junior year.  Daughter missed it by 3 spots at Anderson, had a 1430 SAT, had a twin brother who was admitted and still didn't get in on appeal.  In long run, glad she is at Trinity.  With the scholarship she got, it turned out cheaper than UT and I think the small size is better for her.

I also have a daughter at Trinity, couldn’t be happier about the school. She’s more introverted than my son therefore Trinity was a better fit. My son is the opposite, he’ll start at Texas in the fall.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

Does anyone have any insight into the freshman research initiative and how to get in? My son was accepted into the school of Biology and is interested.

My daughter, Environmental Science and Dean Scholar, was in FRI. She LOVED it. I think you have to apply to FRI. I think I remember there was a website that spelled most of it out. Let me know if you have any specific questions (DM me if you feel more comfortable) and I can ask my girl.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2021 at 6:13 PM, SuckitKevin said:

I also have a daughter at Trinity, couldn’t be happier about the school. She’s more introverted than my son therefore Trinity was a better fit. My son is the opposite, he’ll start at Texas in the fall.

Another Surly parent with a kid at Trinity.  Just completed his Freshman year. Loved it.  And the financial aid for grades is off the charts generous.  Ended up being slightly cheaper than in state at UMD-College Park.

My daughter just got back from orientation, I was a little jealous.  She's taking 12 hours this fall (she is dyslexic, has 12 hours in credit from AP tests and is taking an English class this summer so her mom and I suggested she not rush to take 15 and make sure she acclimates). When I was a freshman I was dragging my ass to 8am classes every day of the week that first fall.  This kid got a fucking T-TH schedule with her first class both days starting at 9:30am (nursing major with one class that is the straight 3 hours all in one shot on Tuesday). Man to be young and have a M/W/F to do things in the fall...and of course study.

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone get into UT from out of state recently?  

Career just brought us back to Texas and the kid stayed in the Midwest for her senior year in her specialized cybersecurity program(her high school cyber capture the flag team placed third in the nation with all other teams in the competition being collegiate). She has a 4.0+ plus GPA, a 35 on the ACT, and has over a semester's worth of college credits already.  She wants to study cybersecurity in undergrad at UT as UT is one of the few with cybersecurity undergrad degrees and not because mom and dad are in Texas. ISU and Illinois State are already offering her scholarships that amount to waving out of state tuition. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 11/26/2021 at 10:09 AM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Career just brought us back to Texas and the kid stayed in the Midwest for her senior year in her specialized cybersecurity program(her high school cyber capture the flag team placed third in the nation with all other teams in the competition being collegiate). She has a 4.0+ plus GPA, a 35 on the ACT, and has over a semester's worth of college credits already.  She wants to study cybersecurity in undergrad at UT as UT is one of the few with cybersecurity undergrad degrees and not because mom and dad are in Texas. ISU and Illinois State are already offering her scholarships that amount to waving out of state tuition. 

You may want to hurry if she wants to apply to UT ... the deadline is Dec 1st.  It's tough to get in from out of state.  About 75% of the class comes from the auto-admit in-state pool.  Another 15% is in-state non-auto-admit. The last 10% is out-of-state and international.

I don't think UT has a cybersecurity degree, although I may be wrong.  They have a cybersecurity specialization within computer science, which means you take a few upper division courses as part of a CS degree.  UT San Antonio does have a cybersecurity degree.

The DoD is offering some nice scholarships and stipends for cybersecurity and other STEM programs.  The catch is you have to work one year for the DoD for every year of your scholarship.  Check out the DoD's SMART program if your kid is interested in something like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/9/2021 at 10:58 PM, Surly Bevo said:

My daughter just got back from orientation, I was a little jealous.  She's taking 12 hours this fall (she is dyslexic, has 12 hours in credit from AP tests and is taking an English class this summer so her mom and I suggested she not rush to take 15 and make sure she acclimates). When I was a freshman I was dragging my ass to 8am classes every day of the week that first fall.  This kid got a fucking T-TH schedule with her first class both days starting at 9:30am (nursing major with one class that is the straight 3 hours all in one shot on Tuesday). Man to be young and have a M/W/F to do things in the fall...and of course study.

You always, always start with 15 and drop the course where you hate the teacher. Did you teach her nothing growing up?

On 11/26/2021 at 10:09 AM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

take the free ride, hit UT for grad school

20 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

You may want to hurry if she wants to apply to UT ... the deadline is Dec 1st.  It's tough to get in from out of state.  About 75% of the class comes from the auto-admit in-state pool.  Another 15% is in-state non-auto-admit. The last 10% is out-of-state and international.

I don't think UT has a cybersecurity degree, although I may be wrong.  They have a cybersecurity specialization within computer science, which means you take a few upper division courses as part of a CS degree.  UT San Antonio does have a cybersecurity degree.

The DoD is offering some nice scholarships and stipends for cybersecurity and other STEM programs.  The catch is you have to work one year for the DoD for every year of your scholarship.  Check out the DoD's SMART program if your kid is interested in something like that.

She has already applied.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 9:09 AM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Yes.  My older daughter is now a sophomore.  My younger one has applied and is waiting.  From an out of state perspective, I anecdotally think admissions depends a lot on which college you apply to and who you're competing against from the high school/city/state you apply from.

Don't expect to get any money from UT.  My daughter was lucky enough to get some Plan II out of state money, but she was really lucky.  If your daughter gets in and you can swing it, look into buying a place for a year.  There's a closet realtor industry that targets out of state families.  I've had several friends do it who have either broken even or made money and got their kid in state tuition starting their sophomore year.  Something to consider.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2021 at 4:01 PM, field said:

Yes.  My older daughter is now a sophomore.  My younger one has applied and is waiting.  From an out of state perspective, I anecdotally think admissions depends a lot on which college you apply to and who you're competing against from the high school/city/state you apply from.

Don't expect to get any money from UT.  My daughter was lucky enough to get some Plan II out of state money, but she was really lucky.  If your daughter gets in and you can swing it, look into buying a place for a year.  There's a closet realtor industry that targets out of state families.  I've had several friends do it who have either broken even or made money and got their kid in state tuition starting their sophomore year.  Something to consider.   

Thanks. We bought a house in Dallas when we moved here and we will have a year's residency for second year on if she gets in.

Heads up for those who are considering other schools besides UT for their kids:  I was under the impression that Texas didn't have any reciprocity agreements with other states, but that's not true.  Some fall under this umbrella, which allows in-state tuition at a bunch of public schools across 15 states, with a few restrictions on class and major:

SREB

Not every public school is available in every state -- UT-Austin doesn't participate, for instance -- but there are some good schools, like University of Florida and William & Mary.  When the two main options for reasonable cost and a prestigious education in Texas are UT-Austin and Texas A&M (LOL), it helps to look elsewhere.  For instance, the annual in-state cost of tuition, fees, room and board at Florida is $16.6K.  Hell, Texas State is $20.5K.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I understand, but might be wrong, that if the degree is offered in your state, then you can't use SREB to go to another state.

I thought that might be the case, but I haven't found language to that extent.  Haven't looked that hard yet, though.  It would make sense, though, and pretty much invalidate the benefit for most kids.  If you find it, please post it.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I thought that might be the case, but I haven't found language to that extent.  Haven't looked that hard yet, though.  It would make sense, though, and pretty much invalidate the benefit for most kids.  If you find it, please post it.

LMAO -- just found it, first sentence, top page.  "Looking for a college degree not offered by a public institution in your home state?"

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 8:38 AM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Thanks. We bought a house in Dallas when we moved here and we will have a year's residency for second year on if she gets in.

Okay, the kid appealed that she was an out of state applicant as we, her parents,  will have owned and resided in a home in Texas for a year before final decisions are made.  I had it in my head it time from starting residence to application and not acceptance deadlines. She won the appeal and has been granted in state applicant status.  

She never told us her status with UT and appealed on her own. Guess I'm not going to worry as much about her ability to adult.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

so my niece is gonna give it a shot and apply to transfer to UT 🤘

i've read this thread enough to know it's a long shot, but still...she did hear back from them today that all her credits will transfer. i admit i'm kinda...

Hans Landa GIFs | Tenor

lol 😁

she was a stellar hs student but she was at Anderson and only ended up top 12% so she didn't even bother applying as a freshman. 

so she's been in the honors college at UNT, 4.0, President's list every semester, this year they threw free money at her - she has TTF to cover tuition wherever but UNT gave her 5-digit scholarship money that literally covered everything else, which was awesome. she's also submitted her study abroad application for the first half of the summer. i wish she would stay put...

but she absolutely hates Denton and it is weighing on her mental health (an area where she has had significant issues the past 5 years, some of which i have shared elsewhere on surly), so she's looking to transfer. given her history, her ability to be 'happy' on any given day is pretty critical.

also, her passion/career choice is not really anything that might significantly benefit from a UT degree, other than just general prestige (in fact, she doesn't really need a degree at all to start with her chosen career, but she wants it so she has it in her back pocket, and can say she achieved that goal). suffice to say she would end up in COLA. 

anyway...it's still a long shot and she's prepared to end up at Texas State or UTSA (her other options)...but it's fun to think about.

you can bet i'll be on here if happens 😁🤘

Friends Celebrating GIF - MavSocial 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mchookem said:

so my niece is gonna give it a shot and apply to transfer to UT 🤘

i've read this thread enough to know it's a long shot, but still...she did hear back from them today that all her credits will transfer. i admit i'm kinda...

Hans Landa GIFs | Tenor

lol 😁

she was a stellar hs student but she was at Anderson and only ended up top 12% so she didn't even bother applying as a freshman. 

so she's been in the honors college at UNT, 4.0, President's list every semester, this year they threw free money at her - she has TTF to cover tuition wherever but UNT gave her 5-digit scholarship money that literally covered everything else, which was awesome. she's also submitted her study abroad application for the first half of the summer. i wish she would stay put...

but she absolutely hates Denton and it is weighing on her mental health (an area where she has had significant issues the past 5 years, some of which i have shared elsewhere on surly), so she's looking to transfer. given her history, her ability to be 'happy' on any given day is pretty critical.

also, her passion/career choice is not really anything that might significantly benefit from a UT degree, other than just general prestige (in fact, she doesn't really need a degree at all to start with her chosen career, but she wants it so she has it in her back pocket, and can say she achieved that goal). suffice to say she would end up in COLA. 

anyway...it's still a long shot and she's prepared to end up at Texas State or UTSA (her other options)...but it's fun to think about.

you can bet i'll be on here if happens 😁🤘

Friends Celebrating GIF - MavSocial 

What major is she aiming for?

30 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

What major is she aiming for?

current major is geography which isn't an option at UT, but there's an environmental science major in COLA where she can do a concentration in geography.

she wants to be a park ranger 😊 

i mean she also may shelve the whole thing for a while and do a yearlong internship with NPS lol 😮🤨

Edited by mchookem

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, the kid appealed that she was an out of state applicant as we, her parents,  will have owned and resided in a home in Texas for a year before final decisions are made.  I had it in my head it time from starting residence to application and not acceptance deadlines. She won the appeal and has been granted in state applicant status.  
She never told us her status with UT and appealed on her own. Guess I'm not going to worry as much about her ability to adult.

We probably got our youngest kid home to Texas dreams dashed by Purdue accepting her into their Honors College which is their version of Plan II. Purdue’s cyber security program is more established than UT’s.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

We probably got our youngest kid home to Texas dreams dashed by Purdue accepting her into their Honors College which is their version of Plan II. Purdue’s cyber security program is more established than UT’s.

That's quite true.  Purdue's cyber security/computer sciences program are as good as it gets in this country.  You should be happy.  Until parent's weekend in West Lafayette, Indiana.  In which case, bring sweatpants and alcohol.  

13 hours ago, Lobo said:

That's quite true.  Purdue's cyber security/computer sciences program are as good as it gets in this country.  You should be happy.  Until parent's weekend in West Lafayette, Indiana.  In which case, bring sweatpants and alcohol.  

Purdue has a really strong CS department, but be 100% sure you understand what degree is being sought in cyber security.  Similar to UT, Purdue CS has a CS degree with a security track.  My oldest did CS at UT and got the security certificate.

Purdue offers a cybersecurity degree through its Polytechnic Institute.  Purdue has a "T" counterpart to just about every engineering major they offer - in the Polytech Institute (which was not called that when I attended many years ago).  I studied EE (ECE) while at Purdue and there was also an EET major.  There was almost zero crossover or interaction between EE and EET majors.  EE was far more theoretical and far more mathematically and fundamentally rigorous than EET.  Moreover, EET was far more application oriented.  In some ways the EE is to EET what CS is to MIS.  It's as close a comparison as I can easily muster.

Here is a link to a Cyber Security major offered in the Polytech side:
https://polytechnic.purdue.edu/degrees/cybersecurity
The ranking reference is a little misleading, IMO, as I cannot see how this specific degree (from the "T" school) would rank above a Michigan CS degree in anything.  A security certificate from the Purdue CS department?  Yes. 

If your student was planning CS at a top school like UT or Purdue and is interested in cyber security, I'd be cautious about the above path.  It will be far more of an applied role.  Most security oriented courses in a CS department will focus more on the mathematics, algorithms, crypto, etc.  There will be classes where you will need to use C or assembly code to hack weak operating systems (via buffer overflows, etc.).  The "T" option would not have that.

Another interesting note: both Purdue's and Texas's CS departments are part of the Science Colleges and were initially offshoots of the Math departments.  

As for West Lafayette, it's not the most cosmopolitan place in the world, but it has come a long way in the past 30+ years.  Plus it's 60 miles from Indianapolis and 120 miles from Chicago.  Not that you want your kid driving to Chicago every weekend :)

18 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

She's pretty insistent on cyber security degree and not a certificate.  She already holds a dozen or so certs.

Understood.  I was focusing more on the idea of CS + Cyber focus/certificate at Purdue versus a Cybersecurity degree from the Polytech college at Purdue.

Fwiw, the certificates in the CS department are really just confirmation that the student took 3-4 CS classes with specific focus.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:56 AM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

goto purdue, no brainer. That  college is veiwed by many companies as pumping out high quality grads 

Edited by tx 3 putt

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

goto purdue, no brainer. That  college is veiwed by many companies as pumping out high quality grads 

Which is interesting because they bought some crappy for profit school years ago and I assumed their overall rep would eventually take a hit as an online diploma mill.

33 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Which is interesting because they bought some crappy for profit school years ago and I assumed their overall rep would eventually take a hit as an online diploma mill.

Purdue Global University, pretty sure those students don't get interview spots when companies show up on campus

the texas uni that's pumping out engineers is ut rgv. id be curious to see their numbers. im seeing their grads pop up in chem plants / refineries.

Edited by tx 3 putt

Son got into TX Mechanical Engineering program over the weekend. Still waiting to hear on Honors. I’m not really sure how big a deal that honors program is, but assume he will do it if he gets in. Proud of the lad. I was an 1100 SAT auto admit in 80’s and couldn’t even sniff getting in now. still waiting on Georgia Tech, Duke, Michigan and Stanford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 5