Longhorn94

Surly kids applying / attending UT

26 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I cannot recommend Mines enough.  Daughter graduates in May.

Seems like maybe a year ago we had that sort of epic thread about engineering schools.  Tempus fugit.  And congrats.

My first job out of college, I was sent on a field job with a UT petro E and an OU petro E. I remember telling them - I thought y’all would get better job offers from those schools  lulz 

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Seems like maybe a year ago we had that sort of epic thread about engineering schools.  Tempus fugit.  And congrats.

all depends on the student. Some kids just need an engineering degree from any accredited engineering program. Some need any advantage a top 5 program can give them. 

plenty of good and bad jobs out there to go around 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Daughter was ranked 51 out of 832, and missed auto admission by 1 spot. This was with her making straight As and taking all AP or K level classes, except for the required on-level class like Health and PACE.

So she doubled up on another AP science class this semester, made straight As again, and is hoping that will be enough to put her into the top 6%.

She’s been accepted at Tulane, St. Ed, TCU, SMU and UT-Dallas, with some decent scholarship money included.

We’ll see where she’s ranked in January, and will hopefully be submitting a supplement to her pending app to reflect a higher class rank.

Player I thought the top 6% was set by grades at end of junior year. I didn’t think they went back and looked at it again. Am I wrong?

I ask because my daughter missed it by 3 spots based on grades at end of junior year, and I thought that was it for auto admit. 

Edited by chitwood

Her school re-ranks in January, and UT has confirmed that they will accept either the ranking at end of junior year or mid-senior year for auto admit.

She wants to go into college of natural sciences and then med school.

12 hours ago, Player said:

Her school re-ranks in January, and UT has confirmed that they will accept either the ranking at end of junior year or mid-senior year for auto admit.

She wants to go into college of natural sciences and then med school.

Do Aggy and Tech still have those 6 or 7 year programs that are a combo BS+MD? It seems like where you went to undergrad is not the most important factor to getting accepted to med school any more, and where you went to med school matters nothing unless you’re shooting for a prestigious residency or fellowship. 

43 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Do Aggy and Tech still have those 6 or 7 year programs that are a combo BS+MD?

Several schools do. They are very competitive. Don’t know how much you get to enjoy the college experience however. I took a longer road to get to med school but wouldn’t have traded my time at UT for anything. But I think you can say that at most of the four year universities where you can get a good college experience.

I actually think my daughter would have a better chance getting into med school from UT Dallas or Trinity but she really has Austin on the brain.

On 12/13/2019 at 8:02 PM, chitwood said:

His twin sister is waiting to hear from the College of Liberal Arts at UT, and is admitted to Hendrix, Trinity and Willamette so far. 

Same for my daughter -- in at Oregon and Trinity, waiting on UT Liberal Arts.  Minnesota guy said they'll rubber stamp her app, which is encouraging, as they are allegedly the #5 psych (PhD) program in the country.  I'm not very hopeful for UT, though -- just too few spots.

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Do Aggy and Tech still have those 6 or 7 year programs that are a combo BS+MD? It seems like where you went to undergrad is not the most important factor to getting accepted to med school any more, and where you went to med school matters nothing unless you’re shooting for a prestigious residency or fellowship. 

Aggy is no more. Tech has the 8 year UMSI program which unfortunately requires the MCAT, completion of an their Honors program (Lol Tceh Honors), and no acceptance of AP credit towards completion of the program. 

Player I thought the top 6% was set by grades at end of junior year. I didn’t think they went back and looked at it again. Am I wrong?

I ask because my daughter missed it by 3 spots based on grades at end of junior year, and I thought that was it for auto admit. 

Well hopefully she’ll get in at A&M.