Best Concert You've Been To?

DalTxHornFan

• DalTxHornFan changed the title to Best Concert You've Been To?
17 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

The Eagles Hotel California Tour Fall 1976 at Austin Municipal Auditorium.  Joe Walsh had just joined the band. He kicked ass. Can't remember if the "Hotel California" single or album had been released by then, but the first time I heard the song was at that concert.

Setlist from November 1, 1976: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles/1976/municipal-auditorium-austin-tx-5bc127d8.html

I saw Metallica and Guns 'n Roses when they toured together in 1992 at the stadium in Las Cruces, NM. Metallica played first, then GnR. Axl got pissed about the sound system and stormed off stage for a while but came back and got everyone revved up with his tirade. Both bands were at their peak and it was awesome.

I went to Foo Fighter's 4th of July show at RFK in DC.   It was an all day event including Joan Jet, Heart, Buddy Guy, LL Cool J, and others.   Then the Foo put on the first show with Grohl's broken leg and just crushed it.   Around midnight they shot off fireworks, patted me on the back after overserving me for 12 hours, and unleashed me on the mass transit system.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ldogg53 said:

Probably 1997 show at Liberty Lunch. Regurgitator, Melvins, Helmet.   The performances were just on point. Helmet was fucking sick.  

Going to this concert with you ruined it for me. 

Is the question best or favorite?  Really hard to choose but maybe Fugazi at Liberty Lunch in 1995. Motörhead at the Backroom in 99 was awesome as well. 

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Going to this concert with you ruined it for me. 

Is the question best or favorite?  Really hard to choose but maybe Fugazi at Liberty Lunch in 1995. Motörhead at the Backroom in 99 was awesome as well. 

I really regret not making that Fugazi show/tour.  I had to come back to Houston for some reason and they played at Fitz that tour as well.  No one around here wanted to go and I didn't go solo.  So dumb. 

4 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

I really regret not making that Fugazi show/tour.  I had to come back to Houston for some reason and they played at Fitz that tour as well.  No one around here wanted to go and I didn't go solo.  So dumb. 

My dumbass missed their last show in Austin as I was moving back from DC. My brother and caddy went. But, I did get to see them in the basement of a church in DC. 

Saw the White Stripes at Stubbs in '02 or '03. Had tickets to the early and late shows. They didn't kick us out after the early show, so my buddy and I were right up in front for the late show. Got one of Jack White' picks.

Saw Radiohead right after In Rainbows and again after King of Limbs. Both were awesome shows.

Saw Tom Waits on the Glitter and Doom tour. That was a bucket list show.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Saw the White Stripes at Stubbs in '02 or '03. Had tickets to the early and late shows. They didn't kick us out after the early show, so my buddy and I were right up in front for the late show. Got one of Jack White' picks.

Saw Radiohead right after In Rainbows and again after King of Limbs. Both were awesome shows.

shit.  not sure how i could forget in rainbows tour in dallas.  that was so f;ing incredible.

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

was at the white stripes too.  ate dinner and drank margaritas at jaimes during the first show and came over for the second.  that was great.

This is a hard question to answer, but in terms of overall just great, engaging performance, Jeff Tweedy at Bass Concert Hall about 5 or 6 years ago was really amazing.  Just him and guitars.  I went two nights in a row.

I've seen some good "big" shows, too.  Sting was pretty great about 15 years ago.  Surprisingly, saw Coldplay 2 years ago on some free VIP tix and gotta say it was an amazing show once I suspended my snobbery filter. 

Also used to go see Vertical Horizon in college - fratty pop band, but played small-ish venues backed by Carter Beauford.   Also, Arc Angeles and Storeyville used to have fun-as-hell shows.

10 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

I went to Foo Fighter's 4th of July show at RFK in DC.   It was an all day event including Joan Jet, Heart, Buddy Guy, LL Cool J, and others.   Then the Foo put on the first show with Grohl's broken leg and just crushed it.   Around midnight they shot off fireworks, patted me on the back after overserving me for 12 hours, and unleashed me on the mass transit system.

This was going to be my answer too.  Fun day.  First time to see Foo Fighters and it was awesome. 

• Like 1

Rage Against the Machine and Queens of the Stone Age.  Alpine Valley, Wisconsin.  2007.

It was a beautiful late summer day.  90 degrees, sorta muggy.  Suddenly, it got dark, the temps drop, and a wicked storm hit the venue.  We were tailgating and absolutely smoked.  It rained so hard that everything turned into a mud pit, and our tickets dissolved.  It was basically a free-for-all getting into the venue, and between the 6 of us in the group, we were bordering on comatose drunk.  Somehow we all found each other towards the bottom of the hill, and the show just completely fired on all cylinders.  My mind sobered up somehow (probably adderall), and it was an epic night of rock.

We had to push my brother's Bonneville out of mud pit to get out that night, and didn't get back to Iowa until 5AM.  His car never recovered from the dousing of mud, piss, and stale beer it received that day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Rage Against the Machine and Queens of the Stone Age.  Alpine Valley, Wisconsin.  2007.

It was a beautiful late summer day.  90 degrees, sorta muggy.  Suddenly, it got dark, the temps drop, and a wicked storm hit the venue.  We were tailgating and absolutely smoked.  It rained so hard that everything turned into a mud pit, and our tickets dissolved.  It was basically a free-for-all getting into the venue, and between the 6 of us in the group, we were bordering on comatose drunk.  Somehow we all found each other towards the bottom of the hill, and the show just completely fired on all cylinders.  My mind sobered up somehow (probably adderall), and it was an epic night of rock.

We had to push my brother's Bonneville out of mud pit to get out that night, and didn't get back to Iowa until 5AM.  His car never recovered from the dousing of mud, piss, and stale beer it received that day.

thats great.

7 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

thats great.

At this stage in life, I doubt I'll top it.

I've been to a lot of other great concerts, but when you consider that this was one of the last times Rage played, Queens were opening, and the circumstances of the day, I have to put it #1.

Definitely hard to answer- single shows vs. multi band festival type things are hard to compare.

Mr. Bungle at Fitzgerald's in 1999- such a great band, too bad they never recorded anything after California.

Ween at Stubb's in 2000 was pretty memorable including closing with a version of LMLYP that felt like it went on for 30 minutes and had some girls get up on stage and start stripping.

Some outdoor concert festival thing at Randall's Island in NYC in 2007 that had Blonde Redhead, Les Savy Fav, LCD Soundsystem and Arcade Fire that was pretty great.

Every Radiohead show I've been to has been amazing. 

Lollapalooza 1992 was memorable, both for the lineup (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ministry, Stone Temple Pilots) and for the fact that my car got towed and I was stranded in Rosenberg afterwards. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jebus said:

Definitely hard to answer- single shows vs. multi band festival type things are hard to compare.

Mr. Bungle at Fitzgerald's in 1999- such a great band, too bad they never recorded anything after California.

Ween at Stubb's in 2000 was pretty memorable including closing with a version of LMLYP that felt like it went on for 30 minutes and had some girls get up on stage and start stripping.

Some outdoor concert festival thing at Randall's Island in NYC in 2007 that had Blonde Redhead, Les Savy Fav, LCD Soundsystem and Arcade Fire that was pretty great.

Every Radiohead show I've been to has been amazing. 

Lollapalooza 1992 was memorable, both for the lineup (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ministry, Stone Temple Pilots) and for the fact that my car got towed and I was stranded in Rosenberg afterwards. 

I was at the 92 Lollapalloza at Fort Bend Fair Grounds I don't think  STP was there but Ice Cube was because we met him in the parking lot. 

Edited by mbtex

7 minutes ago, mbtex said:

I was at the 92 Lollapalloza at Fort Bend Fair Grounds I don't think  STP was there but Ice Cube was because we met him in the parking lot. 

I thought STP was there, maybe not.  It was a while ago.  I do remember that Body Count was also there, right around the "Cop Killer" time, and I think they had people from other bands come on stage with them and play drums or something like that.

I remember during Ice Cube's set he was pissed that everyone that was there for all the grunge bands decided to use his set as bathroom break/beer time and at some point had the crowd chanting "Party over here (to everyone still up at the stage), fuck you over there (to everyone over at all the food/bathroom areas)"

• Like 1

Just now, Jebus said:

I thought STP was there, maybe not.  It was a while ago.  I do remember that Body Count was also there, right around the "Cop Killer" time, and I think they had people from other bands come on stage with them and play drums or something like that.

I remember during Ice Cube's set he was pissed that everyone that was there for all the grunge bands decided to use his set as bathroom break/beer time and at some point had the crowd chanting "Party over here (to everyone still up at the stage), fuck you over there (to everyone over at all the food/bathroom areas)"

We went out to the parking lot because my girlfriend was not feeling good from the Heat and we met a bunch of the band members. Chris Cornell etc.. Ice Cube asked us if wanted to get in but we could actually see and hear better from the parking lot. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mbtex said:

Great show.

No STP.   

Went to see Pearl Jam, and ended up meeting Eddie Vedder that day.

13 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Paul McCartney, Jerry World in 2010.  

Saw McCartney at Lakewood Church for the Wings Over America Tour in 1976. General Admission on the floor right up front.

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

Bruce Springsteen 1978 in Houston followed closely by Bruce Springsteen in Austin in 1981.

The Boss at the FEC in 1978. We camped out for tickets. Great show.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Nothing for me will ever, ever beat the Allman Brothers/Grateful Dead 15 hour extravaganzas.  I went to two of them.  There was nothing even remotely close to those experiences.

Caught the Dead twice, but remember precious little of them. :D

1 hour ago, mbtex said:

Stevie Ray Vaughan Music Hall Houston 1984

Saw SRV and DT doing an hour long soundcheck/rehearsal at the Backroom on Riverside ca. 1980 or `81. Buddy and me I were the only ones there. Very cool.

My favorite? Probably Pink Floyd Animals Tour, 1975 at Jeppesen in Houston. It rained. Saw them again at the Dome and again at Rice Stadium where it rained again.  

Also saw Zeppelin, Bowie, Sabbath, Who, Queen, Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bob Dylan, Yes, etc., etc., etc.

• Like 2

Ghostland Observatory's album release at Austin Music Hall (2/29/08)

It was the first time they brought the Longhorn Band out to play with them, which was a seminal "Austin moment" for me, as we were in the throes of the peak-Colt years and felt on the verge of another title run that year.  High fucking times.  Here's a great vid:

Edited by BigBenBamboozle

11 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

It was the first time they brought the Longhorn Band out to play with them, which was a seminal "Austin moment" for me, as we were in the throes of the peak-Colt years and felt on the verge of another title run that year.  High fucking times.  Here's a great vid:

Jealous. That show must've been a blast.

11 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

thats incredible.  thanks for posting.  didnt know about that.

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

Saw McCartney at Lakewood Church for the Wings Over America Tour in 1976. General Admission on the floor right up front.

The Boss at the FEC in 1978. We camped out for tickets. Great show.

Caught the Dead twice, but remember precious little of them. :D

Saw SRV and DT doing an hour long soundcheck/rehearsal at the Backroom on Riverside ca. 1980 or `81. Buddy and me I were the only ones there. Very cool.

My favorite? Probably Pink Floyd Animals Tour, 1975 at Jeppesen in Houston. It rained. Saw them again at the Dome and again at Rice Stadium where it rained again.  

Also saw Zeppelin, Bowie, Sabbath, Who, Queen, Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bob Dylan, Yes, etc., etc., etc.

We went to a lot of similar shows. How do you choose The Best? Is '81 Rolling Stones in the Astrodome better than '97 Stones in an arena? Ray Charles with an orchestra and the Raelettes or Tom Waits with a horn player and a guy on upright bass? Is the whirling dance of Mahlathini and the Mahotella Queens better than Warren Zevon or Patti Smith or the Ramones in '78? Crazy Horse in Red Rocks or Muddy Waters at Antone's? There's literally dozens more. I don't see how anyone can pick The Best show they've ever been to, just keep going to great ones and loving the experiences.

Well, that time Joe Ely opened for the Clash at the Armadillo was pretty cool.

• Like 2

I can't really pin down one best, but among the best shows I've ever seen was ZZ Top at FEC in April 1982.  This was their first show in Austin since the infamous Foot Stompin'  Barndance and BBQ at Memorial Stadium 8 years earlier.  There was an energy around campus that I had never before felt for a show, and I've never felt it since, and the show itself did not disappoint.

A couple other memorable shows were Johnny Winter at the Austin Opera House in September 1981.  Stevie Ray Vaughan opened for him, and Tommy Shannon (formerly with Johnny Winter) had just joined Stevie's band.  It was general admission, and I was able to elbow my way to the front of the stage, so I got to watch both Johnny and Stevie doing their thing from literally an arm's length away.

Also saw Johnny Winter at the Texas Opry House in Houston in November 1978.  The perfect venue for him, and I was luckily able to sneak in, as I was still under-age.  I was only 17 at the time, and since the place served alcohol, you were supposed to be over 18 to get in.  Fortunately, my provisional driver's license had a full face picture, instead of the usual profile, so I was able to sneak past the doorman.  Anyway, about 3/4 of the way into the show, Johnny starts taking requests from the audience, so he played a lot of his older stuff.  Great, great show.  i miss that man.

Made it to the Rock the Bells tour in 2007. Saw rage against the machine, wu tang, cypress hill, public enemy, and bunch more popular hip hop artists. The show was in the McCovey cove parking lot and when cypress hill performed, there was a legit fog hanging over the crowd. Didn’t matter that we were outside. 

After the show, the crowd was so amped from rage that we walked down the middle of most of the main roads near the venue. Crowd acted all tough until a fire truck came screaming through and everyone punked out and got on the sidewalk.