Best Concert You've Been To?

DalTxHornFan

Not the best, but my favorite.

Couple of years ago when my daughter was a senior in HS, I decided that I wouldn't be a good parent if I let her leave the house without taking her to a Springsteen concert.  So we flew to Phoenix and had floor tickets.

(Bruce blew the doors off the place like he always does.)

A little under 2 hours into the concert, she turned to me and asked, "Is he seriously not going to play Thunder Road?"

I laughed and said, "Kid, he's only about halfway done."

Her eyes got big.

On the way to the hotel afterwards, she was *CALLING* (not texting, actually using her phone to call, like she never does) her friends to tell them how amazing it was.

Not the best, but my favorite.
Couple of years ago when my daughter was a senior in HS, I decided that I wouldn't be a good parent if I let her leave the house without taking her to a Springsteen concert.  So we flew to Phoenix and had floor tickets.
(Bruce blew the doors off the place like he always does.)
A little under 2 hours into the concert, she turned to me and asked, "Is he seriously not going to play Thunder Road?"
I laughed and said, "Kid, he's only about halfway done."
Her eyes got big.
On the way to the hotel afterwards, she was *CALLING* (not texting, actually using her phone to call, like she never does) her friends to tell them how amazing it was.

Pretty sure I was at that show.

My all time favorite concert - U2 Joshua Tree at the FEC in November 1987. Senior in HS and we had 11th row floor center stage tickets (friend scored the number 2 Visa Band -remember those Austin concert goers? - at our local HEB). That was U2 during their peak and just the energy of the show was incredible - folks were singing the chorus to 40 well after the band left the stage. I have seen a lot of other great shows and artists over the years, but given that time in my life, it will always rank as the best

That same night, Bono and the Edge showed up at Antone's and jammed with SRV and Jimmie Vaughn....wished I was a few years older because in college I lived within walking distance to Antone's original location and would have been there in a heartbeat to see that. 

Probably the most blown away by a recent show I have been to was seeing Elton John on the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 40th anniversary tour. Not only was the set list almost exclusively from the great period of Elton music (Tumbleweed Connection through Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy Band), but Elton played for 2 1/2 hours with nary a break and rocked with more energy than many musicians I have seen that are half his age or younger.  

Not sure about best, but definitely some favorites.

Saw Don Williams twice at the Paramount.  Intimate crowd, singing along to every damned song, with the smooth as honey-voiced Don leading.  Beautiful moment after beautiful moment, just getting comfortable with some of the best songs ever.  Just a great evening, both times.  It was a lot like this:

Also saw U2 on the Joshua Tree tour in 1987 in Houston.  I honestly didn't realize at the time what a fantastic album, and fantastic show they put on.  But I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Thirty years later, they do another Joshua Tree tour.  My wife loves U2, has never seen them.  So I buy us tickets to go see them at the Rose Bowl in L.A.  It was a great show, and it hit me like a ton of bricks what a FANTASTIC album it was.  But the best moment was at the end.  They decided to toss in one more song...

The SECOND that the opening riff started, my wife started jumping up and down, grinning from ear to ear like a teenage girl.  She was pure happiness and exuberance.  She was, in an instant, the joy that I fell in love with thirty years ago.  That moment, and that song, was unquestionably my favorite moment of any concert*.  Just pure happiness, in the moment, jumping and singing along to a song we'd been singing in our cars with our friends since we were 15.  I'll never hear "I Will Follow" again without breaking into a huge smile.

* Okay, so maybe when Billy Joel started singing Scenes from an Italian Restaurant at the Erwin Center in 1990, and I turned to her in our front-row seats (was driving by the EC when wrist bands were announced, screeched to a halt and got band #2), and kissed her for the first time.  That was pretty damned awesome, too.

U2.

They played at that club behind the (old?) bus stop on 4th street; I cannot remember the name. Being the religious snob I am, I didn't go because word on the street was they were religious. Dumbass.

That club was great though.  Intimate floor with wraparound balcony. X,Stray Cats, Plasmatics(lol), go-go's, Iggy Pop, Adam Ant, gang of Four, Psych Furs...

On 4/1/2018 at 11:32 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Soul Asylum at CBGB ("Hang Time" tour).  First time to see the band.  They tore the roof off -- amazing live band when they wanted to be.

Caught them at liberty lunch on the next two tours, but I wish I had seen that one. They went to shit pretty quickly 

I see some U2 on this page. U2 has at least two shows in my top 10, including my #1 (2000 at the Summit, I was right up against the heart walkway). Man they fucking bring it. I think Billy Gibbons helped mix the show. 

One thing about U2's tours since the late 80's is they employ an army of audiovisual geniuses, roadies, etc. You gotta give credit to A LOT of people for making that shit happen every night. And their stage/set designer Willie Williams just cannot be touched. The. Best.

• Like 1

Radiohead at Red Rocks 2003

Arcade Fire at Emos outside in maybe 05?

Neutral Milk Hotel at FunFunFun

Widespread Panic Telluride 03 (first night was rained out so the band played a double set the next day starting at like 3 and just let the whole town come to the show. Met the band. Just an awesome weekend)

Outkast at ACL

Saw a surprising number of good shows growing up in Lubbock. AC/DC, ZZ, The Cult, Smashing Pumpkins at the fair on the Siamese dream tour, Metallica, Fugazi at a hole in the wall...

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 3:20 PM, C-Man said:

Radiohead at AAC for the In Rainbows tour. Saw them in Houston the night before but Dallas was a better show -- had incredibly good seats. There are probably a couple Radiohead shows among my top five. Other memorable shows include:

• The National at Granada on the "Boxer" tour -- got to hang out with the band backstage after the show
  • Ryan Adams at Red Rocks a couple Mays ago -- massive hail/T-storms blew in and cut the show a little short but that place is like the Augusta National of music venues
  • Neutral Milk Hotel in Dallas at the Majestic -- discovered them (thanks to HF, I think) after Mangum's breakdown so never was in a place to see them live but caught his solo show and then the full band a couple years ago when they rolled through (so, so fucking good)
  • Any number of Wilco shows in Dallas
  • LCD Soundsystem at Southside Ballroom on the "It's Happening" tour -- knew I liked them before but they melted my fucking face off live (show at Bomb Factory last Oct was pretty fucking killer too)
  • R.E.M. on "Green" tour in San Antonio -- this was my first true concert where I went with a couple of older friends (think I was a fresh or soph in HS)

My kinda list.

The one above this, too.

Edited by Tired of Lurking

On 4/23/2018 at 4:20 PM, Nolacycling said:

U2.

They played at that club behind the (old?) bus stop on 4th street; I cannot remember the name. Being the religious snob I am, I didn't go because word on the street was they were religious. Dumbass.

That club was great though.  Intimate floor with wraparound balcony. X,Stray Cats, Plasmatics(lol), go-go's, Iggy Pop, Adam Ant, gang of Four, Psych Furs...

Club Foot.

• Like 1

I've seen the Stones, U2, the original Van Halen, et al live but Santana at Cynthia Woods Pavilion (2000?) was probably the best concert I ever attended and I'm not even a big Santana fan.  I like good old guitar, bass and drums, but that rhythm section adds a whole 'nother level

Prince Purple Rain tour

Journey Escape tour

Hall and Oates about 1986. Just hit after hit after hit.

Kiss Destroyer tour. Ace accidentally got the shit shocked out of him by touching a handrail during the first song (Detroit Rock City). Concert was delayed for about a half hour while he recovered.

Led Zeppelin 1977 (I think) in the old Sombrero in Tampa. Not the best, but the only chance I ever got to see Zep. The show rained out after like 4 songs and a riot ensued. Good times!

Edited by Nole-4-Life
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2018 at 1:19 PM, Nole-4-Life said:

Prince Purple Rain tour

Journey Escape tour

Hall and Oates about 1986. Just hit after hit after hit.

Kiss Destroyer tour. Ace accidentally got the shit shocked out of him by touching a handrail during the first song (Detroit Rock City). Concert was delayed for about a half hour while he recovered.

Led Zeppelin 1977 (I think) in the old Sombrero in Tampa. Not the best, but the only chance I ever got to see Zep. The show rained out after like 4 songs and a riot ensued. Good times!

Ok, this is pretty legit.

Stones and Stevie Wonder . Ft. Worth, whenever Exile on Main Street came out.

Traffic and Little Feat. Also Ft. Worth(two of the most talented rock bands I've seen over the years)mid 70's ?

And because I saw them just before they passed and  are true legends: Chet Atkins(not rock,just greatness, the shows with Mark Knopfler  are timeless)Ray Charles, B.B. King and Roy Orbison.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

so many great shows, but I go back to shows from high school.  The Police at South Park Meadows 1983.  Prince Purple Rain at FEC. Joe King Carrasco & The Crowns was the first time I got drunk, so that's personal.  The Kinks at City Coliseum feb 1985 was awesome and afterwards got laid for the first time.  

Elvis Costello when he got back with the Attractions 1994 tour at the Backyard in the rain.  Love  shows in the rain.

Generally not the biggest fan of the huge arena type productions. Most of my favorite/most memorable shows have been at clubs and such (SXSW is amazing for seeing great acts in intimate venues). And I can't separate "best show" from "show I was the most into while I was there," except that I have to give extra points to any show that left a big enough impression to change the direction of my musical taste for a while. But anyway here's what jumps to mind in chronological order. 

Yeah Yeah Yeahs at Emo's in 2003

White Stripes at Stubb's in 2003

Shapestatic/Kri in the forest somewhere outside of Austin in 2005

Lemurians at Alex Grey's Chapel of Sacred Mirrors NYC 2006 

Clipse and Re-Up Gang at Mohawk SXSW 2008

Girl Talk at 40 Acres Fest 2010

Neutral Milk Hotel at Fun Fun Fun Fest 2014

Cherry Glazerr at Cheer Up Charlie's SXSW 2017

White Reaper at 21st Street Coop SXSW 2018

Radiohead 2003 Woodlands Pavilion

Sturgill Simpson 2014 Fitzgerald's

The Roots/Cody Chesnutt/Erykah Badu Gypsy Tea Room 2003

Arcade Fire 2011 Woodlands Pavilion

Turnpike Troubadours 2012 Gruene Hall album release show

Robert Ellis 2016 The Orange Show

Ryan Bingham 2009 Warehouse Live 

Hiss Golden Messenger 2016 The Parish

Khruangbin 2018 White Oak Music Hall

Kendrick Lamar 2013 ACL Fest

4 hours ago, TWHOOKEM said:

Ryan Bingham 2009 Warehouse Live 

My band was the first of three local openers at his Warehouse Live show there the prior fall. He played the side stage. I'm going to assume his performance was similar to his 2009 show and then say that those fuckers rocked so hard. RYAN, STAHP CHANGING UR BAND MEMBERS SO MUCH! (Keep Jesse fuckin' Dayton though).

Add my voice to the U2 parade. I've never been a U2 fan, didn't really know much besides the hits. My aunt randomly asked if I wanted to go to their Houston show. I don't remember the tour - the one with the big fucking cocktail onion, maybe 1996? 97? And this show absolutely rocked my fucking face off. Production value. AV. Sound quality. I could understand the words during the songs, which NEVER happens at live shows, esp in stadiums.  For the encore, the cocktail onion started to move, and ended up at the stage in the middle of the crowd, the guitar starts, and the onion OPENS and the band walks out to play. Crowd went nuts. 

I expected to enjoy some music, and I guess since the bar was set relatively low for my expectations, they were just demolished by the quality of the show. Nothing has come close since.

Pantera under the clever pseudonym Cowboys from Hell at the Back Room as a warmup for the Far Beyond Driven tour-94- absolutely insane. 

Tool at The International Ballroom in 96. they were really hitting stride at this point. 

B-E-A-S-T-I-E Boys at The Unicorn in June of 92. At least 120 degrees in there. 

Soundgarden at Bayou Music Center (now Revention) 2013. two and a half hours of  awesome. no wardrobe changes, no bullshit.   

Stone Temple Pilots at The Vatican 92, maybe 300 people there. it was pretty clear they were going to be big.  No roadies, loaded their own gear into a beat up van after the show 

16 hours ago, Grandioso said:

My band was the first of three local openers at his Warehouse Live show there the prior fall. He played the side stage. I'm going to assume his performance was similar to his 2009 show and then say that those fuckers rocked so hard. RYAN, STAHP CHANGING UR BAND MEMBERS SO MUCH! (Keep Jesse fuckin' Dayton though).

Yup, my show was on the small stage too, Rustlanders  and another band opened. They played til like 2am on a Tuesday night and just killed it. The Dead Horses were magic. Agree about JD, although still hold out hope he’ll get the old crew together. Idk about Corby though.