Best Concert You've Been To?

DalTxHornFan

47 minutes ago, plvhorn said:

Made it to the Rock the Bells tour in 2007. Saw rage against the machine, wu tang, cypress hill, public enemy, and bunch more popular hip hop artists. The show was in the McCovey cove parking lot and when cypress hill performed, there was a legit fog hanging over the crowd. Didn’t matter that we were outside. 

After the show, the crowd was so amped from rage that we walked down the middle of most of the main roads near the venue. Crowd acted all tough until a fire truck came screaming through and everyone punked out and got on the sidewalk. 

I saw the following Rage show in '07 at Voodoo Fest in Nawlins (still rebuilding after Katrina).  The most energy I've witnessed at a show, both crowd and de la Rocha & crew.  Just incredible.

Lollapalooza '92 was my favorite festival. It completely changed my music tastes for good.

Nine Inch Nails with Marilyn Manson and the Jim Rose Circus opening was a perfect bill for that era so I have fond memories of it.

Butthole Surfers with Bad Livers and Don Walser was another that was memorable for the Austininess of it all.

L7 and Murder City Devils at Stubb's was a great show that was my intro to MCD who have been my favorite band ever since then.

For recent concerts, King Gizzard and Lizard Wizard at Mohawk was absolutely amazing. One of the highest energy shows I've been to in the last 20 years.

One of the Maceo Parker shows I saw between 1995 and 1997.  The first one was at the Satellite Lounge in Houston.  The latter three were at Antones, the last of them being at the one on 4th Street.  I remember the fire alarm going off along with the power during that last show.   Maceo never missed a beat and walked around through the crowd (with Sweets on the cowbell in tow) playing to people individually, myself among them.  I think that show may have lasted four hours. 

21 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

Guns N Roses, Feb 23, 1993. FEC. Place was wild.  Strippers brought out pizza and whiskey to the band. Hell of a time.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-roses/1993/frank-erwin-center-austin-tx-3bd67ca8.html

I was at that show.  The girl who went with me drank too much beforehand and puked on the dude in front of us.  I apologized and got her out there.  Grabbed a cab back to my apartment on north campus.  She passed out on the couch and I ran from 30th st all the way back to the FEC.  Got back in and caught the second half of the show.  Had seen them 3 other times, but this one was better, from the part I saw.

8 hours ago, mbtex said:

I was at the 92 Lollapalloza at Fort Bend Fair Grounds I don't think  STP was there but Ice Cube was because we met him in the parking lot. 

I was there, too (and caught GnR/Metalica/Faith no More at the Astrodome the next day.  I remember Ice Cube's set being one of the most memorable parts of that festival.  All the old NWA stuff and the "Say Fuck You Ice Cube" call and return was great.

• Like 1

That NIN/Soundgarden show is a good choice. I saw it in Atlanta and got to high five Bill Kelliher in the crowd. 

I’ve seen so many shows that it’s hard to say. But for several years in the early 90s my answer was Queensryche on the Empire / Livecrime tour. They were in peak form and played a bunch of good songs from Empire and then all of Operation Mindcrime and it was absolutely kickass. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queensryche/1991/the-omni-atlanta-ga-6bd59226.html

Edited by Buzzrock

Phish - New Year's Eve 1995 at Madison Square Garden

I still maintain it's the best show they ever performed. 

Interestingly, Phish also has the distinction of playing the worst concert I've ever attended. Coventry, VT on 8/14 and 8/15, 2004. I haven't gone to see them since. They peaked in the 90's. I'm what they call a jaded vet.

12 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

dmb at southpark meadows was pretty great.  givers at jazzfest was really cool.  took my dad to see the boss at the erwin center for his 50th birthday and had 13th row center stage seats.  that probably takes the cake. 

Going to my 18th Dave show in May. And they're coming to Austin this year too.

Obviously my favorite concerts are the ones where I've been at the front of the pit. 

September 4, 1992. Houston, TX. The Astrodome. 

Faith No More opened, then Guns N Roses and ended with Metallica. 

Mosh pit was a cyclone of 200-300 strong spinning next to the stage. If you entered the fray you had to fight your way out. 

I had just graduated from HS and my best buds and some hot sluts road tripped down for this epic show. One car got pulled over by DPS outside of La Grange and think (can't remember) they spent the night in jail and didn't make it. 

Smokin, tokin', drinkin' and other illicit activities galore.  Most of it is a haze of a memory, but what I remember it was allsome. 

Fuckin' A Man!  Fuckin' A.  B|

• Like 1

Pink Floyd at Rice Stadium in 1994.

Lynyrd Skynyrd twice.

Metallica three times before they cut their hair and started writing crap.  And again with GnR at the Dome.

Iron Maiden with Dream Theater.

Eric Johnson at the original Antone's by campus in '94 or '95.  I was about seven feet from a virtuoso.

Edited by TexArcher

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Phish - New Year's Eve 1995 at Madison Square Garden

I still maintain it's the best show they ever performed. 

Interestingly, Phish also has the distinction of playing the worst concert I've ever attended. Coventry, VT on 8/14 and 8/15, 2004. I haven't gone to see them since. They peaked in the 90's. I'm what they call a jaded vet.

I have a bootleg of the 1995 NYE Phish at the Garden and yeah it is an incredible show. 

Another bad ass trip I had was to Vegas saw Phish on back to back nights (9/29 - 9/30/2000) at Thomas and Mack Center. 

A group of 5 of my best buddies practically recreated Fear and Loathing during the stay - can't believe we made it out of there alive and not in jail, hospital, or sealed up in a wall at Binion's Horseshoe.  

10 hours ago, mbtex said:

I was at the 92 Lollapalloza at Fort Bend Fair Grounds I don't think  STP was there but Ice Cube was because we met him in the parking lot. 

10 hours ago, Jebus said:

I thought STP was there, maybe not.  It was a while ago.  

Was also there but don't remember STP (that far back is a little fuzzy, though).  Really dug the Jim Rose Sideshow and Ministry.  There were also a bunch of counterfeit tickets sold so they didn't have anywhere near the police force that should have been there.  Good times.    

Best concert was probably Primus/Melvins at Rockefeller's West, somewhere around 93 or 94.  It was loud and chaotic and lots of fun.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LoneStarBiker said:

I have a bootleg of the 1995 NYE Phish at the Garden and yeah it is an incredible show. 

Another bad ass trip I had was to Vegas saw Phish on back to back nights (9/29 - 9/30/2000) at Thomas and Mack Center. 

A group of 5 of my best buddies practically recreated Fear and Loathing during the stay - can't believe we made it out of there alive and not in jail, hospital, or sealed up in a wall at Binion's Horseshoe.  

You can get New Year's '95 as an official release. 

I was at those '00 Vegas shows. The stories I could tell. 

Did you go to the Frog Brigade show at the House of Blues after the Phish show on 9/29? That was Les Claypool's birthday and the next day was Trey's. We knew Trey had to show up. Not only did he show up, he showed up with Stewart Copeland for an Oysterhead reunion, just their second live performance together. It was amazing. 

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You can get New Year's '95 as an official release. 

I was at those '00 Vegas shows. The stories I could tell. 

Did you go to the Frog Brigade show at the House of Blues after the Phish show on 9/29? That was Les Claypool's birthday and the next day was Trey's. We knew Trey had to show up. Not only did he show up, he showed up with Stewart Copeland for an Oysterhead reunion, just their second live performance together. It was amazing. 

No, one of my dumbass friends ended up getting sick after the show and we had to get him back to the hotel room to sober up. Didn't make it to HOB and ended up hearing about Oysterhead the next day. Felt cry. 

The Who. Missed them with Moon (curse you parents!), but when I did see them in the early 80’s, Pete’s guitar was giving him problems and you could tell he was pissed at the roadies. Anyway, he ended up smashing it which was awesome. The rest of the concert was great and they encored Young Man Blues.

20 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Saw the White Stripes at Stubbs in '02 or '03. Had tickets to the early and late shows.

I was at the early one. IIRC, one of the roadies/guitar techs accidentally gave Jack White a guitar that was tuned incorrectly for "Seven Nation Army." When he got to the slide guitar part, it sounded awful and had to stop the song and swap out guitars. Seven Nation Army was probably the biggest song in the world at that moment. It was funny.

Face2Face - SA 1994:  2 of my favorites together for an incredible show. 

Billy @ MSG ‘14:  Pretty much a singalong the whole show with 18,000 others. 

Paul @ Yankee Stadium - ‘11:  Not a huge fan but an incredible show, BJ makes an appearance.

Bruce @FEC - ToL Tour:  NEver seen anyone perform with that much energy, Wife was working 3rd shift and we had to leave and he was still going strong. 

Supertramp @FEC(81 or 82): Big fan, great show. 

14 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Lynyrd Skynyrd twice.

Metallica three times before they cut their hair and started writing crap.  And again with GnR at the Dome.

Eric Johnson at the original Antone's by campus in '94 or '95.  I was about seven feet from a virtuoso.

Iron Maiden/Dream Theater stood out to me. I saw Maiden several times. They were excellent and always one of my favorite bands to see live. Never got to see Dream Theater. I bet that was an awesome concert.

1. Joanna Newsom with the Austin Symphony Orchestra - 2007 - Riverbend Center, Austin
2. Neutral Milk Hotel - 2014 - ACL Live, Austin
3. Kanye West - 2014 - Bonnaroo Music Festival, Nashville-ish
4. Morrissey - 2014 - Austin Music Hall, Austin
5. Radiohead x2 - 2016 - Austin City Limits, Austin
6. Belle & Sebastian - 2013 - Pitchfork Music Festival, Chicago
7. My Morning Jacket - 2008 - The Parish (SXSW), Austin
8. Damien Rice - 2007 - Bass Concert Hall, Austin
9. The Weeknd - 2013 - Austin Music Hall, Austin
10. Ben Gibbard, David Bazan - 2007 - Emo's, Austin

These are the ten that immediately come to mind that were just about life-changing. From some of my favorite artists ever in intimate venues to the big blockbusters at music festivals.

• Like 1

clapton -  my first real concert, so everything was amazing.  wall of sound, lighters calling for encores, the smell of weed.  a world previously unknown to me

Prince - purple rain tour.  monster show.  One of the geniuses of our generation at the height of the mania.  I didn't realize all those moves were stolen from James Brown, but wouldn't have cared 

U2 - Joshua tree tour.  their musical peak 

lindsey buckingham - he played that lecture hall on UT campus about 15 years ago.  shockingly easy to get seats.  one of rock's all time greats in a small venue. 

tragically hip - fully completely tour.  small venue.  that's how you rock a nightclub, people.   

ben folds with y music - at bass concert hall... maybe my favorite show of past few years

tom petty - southern accents, all my high school friends went.  captures an era of my life 

billy joel and elton john.  on their solo piano tour in mid 90's.  somehow even in the corrupt world of ticketmaster, I scored 7th row center seats at the Citrus Bowl.  

the who in royal albert hall

those are the shows that come immediately to mind as making an emotional impact.  

• Like 1

I'd never really heard much of Muse until I saw them at ACL in 2013 and been a big fan ever since. 

Was watching Depeche Mode, who got kinda stale during the middle of their set so decided to head over and check them out. 

Walked up and they started playing Uprising, it was allsome. Played a couple more songs and finished with Knights of Cydonia. 

"Don't waste your time, or time will waste you"

Edited by LoneStarBiker

22 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Lynyrd Skynyrd twice.

No one delivered like Metallica in their prime. I missed the AJFA tour but this show as kickass. I was about fifth row and Jason Newsted threw me a pick and I still have it.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/1994/lakewood-amphitheatre-atlanta-ga-4bd6dbfe.html

Most of my favorites, I did not get to see until they were much older, as was I.

As a younger lad, I saw Aerosmith and Joan Jett on the Pump tour. That was my favorite back then. Also saw Bad Company and Damn Yankees that same summer, which was pretty good. Saw Poison and Warrant also back then. That was about my total experience at major venues. Back in '90, I saw The CDB at one show and at a Violent Femmes with Drivin' N' Cryin' at JSU's Pete Matthews, which is now heavily damaged by a recent tornado.

After 10 years of marriage to someone who did not like crowds and did not want me to do anything without her, I finally started going to shows again. In the last 15 years, seen Aerosmith/KISS, Zac Brown/ZZ Top, Heart/Def Leppard, Tesla/Alice Cooper/Motley Crue, Drivin' N' Cryin'/Ceelo Green/Weezer, several bigger shows with 5 or six acts like FFDP/Shinedown/Sevendust/Seether/Disturbed/Godsmack amongst smaller groups like Volbeat(Opened for Slash). My favorite though was The Answer opening up for AC/DC on the Black Ice tour in Phillips Arena.

Sentimentally, my favorite was Metallica in 1983 as a 13-yr old for Kill ‘Em All. Nobody knew who they were, but a friend brought the record to my house and nothing was the same after that. Found out they were coming to a dive bar on Westheimer and Fountainview in Houston. Somehow we got my mom to drive us and drop us off about a block away. We were walking up the sidewalk and saw a ratty POS bus in the alley behind the bar. We walked up and these guys got off the bus, each with a bottle of vodka in their hand. We sat there, completely star struck over a band that nobody knew. They asked what we were doing there. We said we were there to see Metallica. They said, “Hey, we’re Metallica!”  We said, “Uh-huh. We know.” They asked how we planned on getting into the show. We admitted we hadn’t thought that far ahead and were going to try and sneak in. They told us to sneak in with them. We walked into the back door of the bar with the band. Room to the right was a warmup room. To the left was a couple of steps up onto the stage. Straight ahead was a curtain into the main bar. We went into the bar. Saw the concert. They shredded. There could not have been fifty people in that bar. So I was snuck into my first Metallica concert by Metallica. Fucking epic IMHO.

Other than that, Metallica opening for Ozzy during his spandex phase when they blew him off the stage, any of a number of Maiden concerts, STP last tour before Scott died (he actually showed up and rocked), unexpected impromptu SRV solo session at Shakespeare’s, Black Crowes at HOB, 92 Lollapalooza, Sturgill Simpson at White Oak, and any Arc Angels concert I ever went to.

Probably so many more I’m forgetting. Those stick out.

• Like 4

The first 2 that really hooked me on live music were U2 in about 1981 and then the absolute best concert experience I have had to this day was The Bus Boys (right after their break out in 48 hours) opening for the Stray Cats around 1984.  The venues were smaller but those guys just killed it.  It was so hot and they were sweating all over their instruments but were so locked in.  

Guns N Roses, Rolling Stones (a few times), Mcartney, all classic.

In the last year the 2 best were Head and the Heart and Cage the Elephant.

2 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Van Halen For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour.  Incredible show, so much energy from the whole band.  And when Eddie is on, it goes to 11.

Rush R40 tour.  It was like going to Rush church.

Shit, I forgot about VH.  I'm not their biggest fan, but they put on a helluva good live show.  Saw them on the 1984 tour and it was terrific.

Too many to narrow down: 

1985:  Joan Armatrading, Secret Secrets tour with Pino Palladino on bass.  At the Granada

Lone Justice at the Fast & Cool about that same time frame.

Around 2012 I think.  Bob Schneider on the Californian tour with Jeff Plankenhorn on guitar, Bruce Hughes on bass, and Rafael Gayol on drums.  Holy fuck, what a band.  Smiths Olde Bar in Atlanta

Petty, last Feb on the last tour.  I HATE large venue shows, but like Paul said above...music of my lifetime.

Also say Gillian Welch, David Rawlins with John Paul Jones on mandolin at Variety in Atlanta about 3 years ago. 

Steve Earle in 95, fresh out of jail and rehab.  Great acoustic show with Roy Huskey, Jr. on bass, Peter Rowan on mandolin, Norman Blake on guitar.  Stunning show.  

And the Turnpike Troubadours last tour was fantastic.  Tons of energy with quality songs and musicianship.