Austin Nostalgia Picture Thread

Chet Steadman

No comment on the female students, as most were “well-behaved” DorisDay types. The public schools were where most of the sloots were.
This was the room I was referring to, except it was very sparsely furnished when the place was a school.

B9145EF3-7EF5-4A6D-BB2C-8D15D2B3A75D.thumb.jpeg.12cbc4c3869e671d0d51a1988ed2277a.jpeg
Turns out Doris Day was a wild woman not at all like her public personna.

1 hour ago, MrPhlegm said:
8 hours ago, Armybrat said:
No comment on the female students, as most were “well-behaved” DorisDay types. The public schools were where most of the sloots were.
This was the room I was referring to, except it was very sparsely furnished when the place was a school.

B9145EF3-7EF5-4A6D-BB2C-8D15D2B3A75D.thumb.jpeg.12cbc4c3869e671d0d51a1988ed2277a.jpeg

Turns out Doris Day was a wild woman not at all like her public personna.

Yes, but am referring to her perpetual virgin persona she faked for the films.

Back in 99, I had a shitload of free SWA tickets from my young lawyer travel days. I couldn’t use em all, but my wife could. One of her best friends lived in DC, and my wife had the AUS-BWI schedule down. And one weekend, she flew out of Mueller, and flew back into the just-opened the day before Bergstrom. Always thought that was pretty cool.

And man, do I miss the front door parking at mueller.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/17/2021 at 2:29 PM, stupidgringo said:

PBR. Not Lone Star. Shows were awesome. RIP Paul Sessums.

Satellite Lounge in Houston had $1.50 Lone Star and Pearl on Mondays for bingo and the El Orbits.  BCL definitely had those near frozen PBRs.

21 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

St. Ignatius Martyr School checking in from Oltorf and College Street.  St. Louis was part of our sports league back in those days, you guys were green/white and we were green/gold.  Never liked playing you guys, to this day when I drive by St. Louis on Burnet Road I still look over and think....'jerks'.

Bet your kids and I played against each other, I feel like some 'The Best of Times' rematches are in order.

Yes.  The old Austin inter-parochial league.  Made up of the murderer's row of St. Louis, St. Ignatius, St. Marys, St. Austin, Sacred Heat (sometimes), Allandale Baptist,  Texas School for the Deaf South (as they were called back then), and TSD East.

I did Football, Basketball, and track back in 77-78 and 78-79 seasons (5th and 6th grade).  Then off to public school after that. I went to St. Louis and we were parishioners there from '67 to '80.  If Brat was there during that time, I'm sure he knew who we were as my parents were School Board Presidents one year and held other offices as well and were involved on the churchy side of things also.  We were pretty hard ass catholics.

Our football (JV) team went undefeated in the fall of '78.  We were coached by the legendary E.G. "Ox" Emerson of UT and Detroit Lions fame.  TSD was always tough and we were lucky we only had to play them once that year due to a weather cancellation.  Many a victory celebration was had at the Top Notch that year.

21 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, it was a PITA to find those green jeans for our two boys. They were in the lower grades at St. Louis and didn’t play any sports there and wound up in public schools after the 4th or 5th grade. 

I lived in St. Louis Green Toughskins.

Another cool memory was when I played in the band back in 5th and 6th grade at St. Louis.  Reitz music was in the strip mall (the one with the Dart Bowl)next to campus.  After my trumpet lessons I would go to the Austin Public Library next door while I waited for my mom to pick me up.  It was weird having a library in a strip mall retail space.  My mom would get so mad at my brother and I for just reading Tin Tin and Asterik and Obelisk comic books while we were there.  Although I did manage to knock out The Hobbitt too.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Deej said:

My, how Whole Foods has changed.

1970s_checkout_on_29th-lr_micb8gl.jpg

Yes it has.  Back in high school (early 80s)I had a buddy who worked in Strait Music' repair shop a few doors down on Lamar.  From time to time he would bring me in to work on horn repair and we would go over to whole foods to get a smoothie and make fun of the all the hippies.  My buddy would do pencil sketches of all the stoners that were hilarious.  He used to draw them on all of his sheet music and etude books.  Most of our hippy source material came from Whole Foods and the Fabulous Freak Brothers cartoons.

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I lived in St. Louis Green Toughskins.

Another cool memory was when I played in the band back in 5th and 6th grade at St. Louis.  Reitz music was in the strip mall (the one with the Dart Bowl)next to campus.  After my trumpet lessons I would go to the Austin Public Library next door while I waited for my mom to pick me up.  It was weird having a library in a strip mall retail space.  My mom would get so mad at my brother and I for just reading Tin Tin and Asterik and Obelisk comic books while we were there.  Although I did manage to knock out The Hobbitt too.  

I too spent hours at that public library after finishing my horn lessons, my folks were busy and had better things to do than pick me up right on time.

I also often wandered down to the Winn's and bought candy.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Deej said:

Dan, of Dan's Hamburgers.

tljunkdantljunkdan_ejkeaqt-lr_cn44eau.jpg

Trivia:

His real name was Daniel Ignatius Junk. In fact they were originally going to call it Junk's Hamburgers, Didn't have the right letters for their first signs so they just went with Dan's. So you could have been eating Junk Hamburgers.

Dan and Fran did get married and go into business together, and yes they did divorce and split the restaurants, but the divorce was amicable, and then basically split down the middle; they remained good friends. Fran simply renamed the restaurants she got after herself and use the exact same look as Dan's, and Dan was eventually okay with that. She kept the exact same recipes, so if you go into either one today you should get pretty much the same food.

(Dan passed away in 98, friend is still alive @ 87.)

Edited by phdhorn

59 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I too spent hours at that public library after finishing my horn lessons, my folks were busy and had better things to do than pick me up right on time.

I also often wandered down to the Winn's and bought candy.

Small world.

I would subscribe to your holy dining trilogy...but mayo is just gross all the way around.  Every once in awhile like at Hopfield's, with the steak frites, i'll indulge a few fries with that aioli deal they have.  Or with patatas bravas in Spain.  But ketchup and fries are great together and nobody needs to go fucking with the Starsky & Hutch of the diner world!  But yeah, mustard for burgers AND hot dogs.  And if you like well done steak, may as well drench it in ketchup because both are a sin and maybe they'll cancel out the sinner.  After I'm done grilling for in-laws and turning their steaks into wallets...I just slide the Heinz over to 'em and let 'em do their thing.  That shit stopped offending the cook 10 years ago.  

But yes, all this talk of Dan's.  I've driven past the one on Manchaca a dozen times at least in the last few months and haven't stopped in because the damn line has been out into the street.  So they're still doing it right after all these years.  I don't care what the line is, I'm stopping in next time. 

Edited by Lobo

13 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I just stumbled across this weird 1952 Butler Pitch & Putt murder story (with LBJ connection). Never heard of it before:

https://www.statesman.com/NEWS/20171019/Murder-at-the-Butler-Pitch-and-Putt

In most cities and towns the people who live there will say is “there are no secrets in this town.” Pretty commonplace.

One thing I’ve always said about and that is somewhat unique to Austin. It has always known how to keep a secret. 

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

In most cities and towns the people who live there will say is “there are no secrets in this town.” Pretty commonplace.

One thing I’ve always said about and that is somewhat unique to Austin. It has always known how to keep a secret. 

Like Travis Raven’s little black “clientele “ book.

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

Apparently, FitLump's secrets were held in check. 

I never claimed or would claim that city politics were not idiotic.  It’s pretty much a given. And she posted her idiocy for all to see on the net. Which apparently enhanced her Austin political standing. 

10 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Yes.  The old Austin inter-parochial league.  Made up of the murderer's row of St. Louis, St. Ignatius, St. Marys, St. Austin, Sacred Heat (sometimes), Allandale Baptist,  Texas School for the Deaf South (as they were called back then), and TSD East.

I did Football, Basketball, and track back in 77-78 and 78-79 seasons (5th and 6th grade).  Then off to public school after that. I went to St. Louis and we were parishioners there from '67 to '80.  If Brat was there during that time, I'm sure he knew who we were as my parents were School Board Presidents one year and held other offices as well and were involved on the churchy side of things also.  We were pretty hard ass catholics.

Our football (JV) team went undefeated in the fall of '78.  We were coached by the legendary E.G. "Ox" Emerson of UT and Detroit Lions fame.  TSD was always tough and we were lucky we only had to play them once that year due to a weather cancellation.  Many a victory celebration was had at the Top Notch that year.

Good stuff here.

Mr. Gattis at Congress and Oltorf, with the beckoning glimmer from the lights of Cinema West at Live Oak and Congress just to the North, was the go to for post game celebrations. Good times. Still friends with most of our classmates from back in the day. 

Dude! I knew Ox. He was awesome. I remember him telling stories of driving home to SETX for the holidays back in the 30s or so. Had to wait for ferries at a few river crossings. He was a great guy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

I have a hunch that this guy took many an Austin secret to his grave:

Obituary of Roy Q. Minton

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/austin-tx/roy-minton-10127042

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I just stumbled across this weird 1952 Butler Pitch & Putt murder story (with LBJ connection). Never heard of it before:

https://www.statesman.com/NEWS/20171019/Murder-at-the-Butler-Pitch-and-Putt

that is a crazy fucking story.  convicted of murder.  jury wants death or life in prison.  judge says 5 years but then suspends the sentence. scott free.

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm in that pic somewhere, in the white-shirted crowd to the right. or just out of frame.

Too funny - I'm on the 3rd floor to the left.. I think.. was a long day of drinking... hence the beer bottle throwing incident in 3..... 2......