Austin Nostalgia Picture Thread

Chet Steadman

On 2/27/2023 at 3:26 PM, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  On the east side of 7th and Congress.  Became Wendy's, now a coffee shop?

Used to drink there with my boss when I first started out.  Cute Irish waitress there named Grania -- she was kinda cute, but when she greeted you with the Irish accented "how ya doin today, lads?", you just kinda melted a little bit.  One afternoon, the weather got super shitty, and we ducked out of work early and darted across the street to drink beer and watch the coverage on TV.  It was the usual overly dramatic BS, and the first report came in that a tornado north of town had killed at least one person, so the newscaster kept calling it a "killer tornado!"  We had lots of laughs, and would drink every time he said "killer tornado!" as we mocked him being dramatic.

It, ummm, turned out to be the Jarrell tornado, perhaps the most powerful tornado in Texas history, killing 27 people.  Oops.

TLDR: one day, my boss and I went and had drinks at McGillicuddy's and we were giant assholes.

I was coming back from Dallas on 35 between Salado and Georgetown when that hit.  I would like to thank Toyota for building a vehicle that held up very well at extremely high speeds.  That fucker was several miles away, but it was so wide that it skewed your perspective about how close it was looking out of the passenger window.  A 1987 Toyota Supra will comfortably do 135 (speedometer pegged) if any of you were curious.

thank you.  ordered.
i was in undergrad from fall 98 to spring 02.  i had the pleasure of tex for every single semester and summer session for four years.  i worked m-f from 12-7 pretty much all of undergrad so as a freshman/sophomore, trying to get section times between 9 and 12 every day for virtually every class was an incredible lesson in rejection.  tex repeatedly telling me to fuck off with that perfect cadence was a three time a year tradition.  i broke a phone spring of my freshman year trying to register for the fall after taking like six sections of "was NOT added" in a row. 
online registration began in earnest the year after i graduated.

I graduated in 01. I only had to use Tex in 97-98 and then used Rose. Tex was so frustrating.

• 2 months later...