Austin Nostalgia Picture Thread

Chet Steadman

40 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Pretty sure it was a Goldmine at Northcross. Used to hit that after Luby’s every Wednesday circa 1982. 

Yes, Goldmine was at Northcross.  It was near the theater in the 80's and when it closed Tilt opened up on the other side of the skating rink.  I believe there was a Chick-fil-A between the theater and Goldmine.

Highland mall also had a Goldmine, but i don't recall where it was in the mall.

Edited by 1978horn

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I’d love to see some video of old Austin 30-50 years ago. Does anything like that exist? Even just someone driving around with an old camcorder would be cool to see.

There was a video that someone posted on TOS about a year ago.  I don't remember the decade that it was filmed in though.

This is one of my all-time favorites.  All the historical documents I've seen identify this site what is now the NEC of Koenig and Burnet but I'm 90% sure that's incorrect and it's actually the NWC of 2222 and Balcones/Parkcrest opposite of the vacant gas station and Jack Brown cleaners site.  2222.JPG?zoom=2

The sign in the foreground is advertising new lots for sale in which would become the Allandale and Highland Park West neighborhoods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

This is one of my all-time favorites.  All the historical documents I've seen identify this site what is now the NEC of Koenig and Burnet but I'm 90% sure that's incorrect and it's actually the NWC of 2222 and Balcones/Parkcrest opposite of the vacant gas station and Jack Brown cleaners site.  2222.JPG?zoom=2

The sign in the foreground is advertising new lots for sale in which would become the Allandale and Highland Park West neighborhoods.

Chet, I think you are correct. I grew up down the street from Deej and I would say that this pic is from 2222 and Parkcrest.

2 hours ago, TPCJ007 said:

Chet, I think you are correct. I grew up down the street from Deej and I would say that this pic is from 2222 and Parkcrest.

There is definitely the start of a hill in the bottom right corner which isn't possible at Koenig and Burnet.  Also the above Allendale HEB shot shows the field on the NW corner(Lamar campus) without brush and there is plenty of brush in what would be the same spot in the other shot.

Without those things pointed out I'd swear it was the NE corner of Burnet and Koenig.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

I’d love to see some video of old Austin 30-50 years ago. Does anything like that exist? Even just someone driving around with an old camcorder would be cool to see.

At a conference on a mobile, but I saw some old videos posted a couple years ago from 50s and 60s. If I had to guess, I think they were posted on the Texas State Historical Association website. If I'm right, they have a treasure trove of old videos and photos.

Just now, squanchy said:

UdQMkV8.jpg

Well, basically the entire movie is great to feed your 90s nostalgia. Which I love since it’s my version of Austin. Funny thing about that scene, they stop in front of my old efficiency at Rio Grande and 22nd, then the couple walks through my “backyard” right next my sliding glass door. They head towards the house just north on the same plot where my older brother lived in 93-94 and the myself and younger brother lived in in 1998. /csb 

def a cool story. my local film csb is from office space when they were driving down metric. apparently they shut down the street right in front of my old apartment because it kept popping back up in the scene for about 10 blocks of driving. acc northridge was also in that shot.

36 minutes ago, squanchy said:

def a cool story. my local film csb is from office space when they were driving down metric. apparently they shut down the street right in front of my old apartment because it kept popping back up in the scene for about 10 blocks of driving. acc northridge was also in that shot.

Cool.  Oh yeah, the girls on bikes at Trophy's, one of them was a professor of min in 1998.  Rachel Tsangari I think is how it was spelled.  Dazed and Confused is another one that is great for sneaking peeks of how Austin looked.

10 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Did that 7-11 have Karate Champ like the one by my house in Dallas?