Austin Nostalgia Picture Thread

Chet Steadman

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, basically the entire movie is great to feed your 90s nostalgia. Which I love since it’s my version of Austin. Funny thing about that scene, they stop in front of my old efficiency at Rio Grande and 22nd, then the couple walks through my “backyard” right next my sliding glass door. They head towards the house just north on the same plot where my older brother lived in 93-94 and the myself and younger brother lived in in 1998. /csb 

The 90s Austin was the one I fell in love with. Life was so simple back then and such a bad ass city. Old country, quiet hippies, and a mass amount of enjoyable sluts. I’d pay billions for a repeat or a time machine.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

The 90s Austin was the one I fell in love with. Life was so simple back then and such a bad ass city. Old country, quiet hippies, and a mass amount of enjoyable sluts. I’d pay billions for a repeat or a time machine.

Absolutely. My brother started at Texas in 91, so that is when I started hanging out in Austin. Then I started in 1995. It was a great decade. Hell, armybrat probably has great memories of the 1890s. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

This is one of my all-time favorites.  All the historical documents I've seen identify this site what is now the NEC of Koenig and Burnet but I'm 90% sure that's incorrect and it's actually the NWC of 2222 and Balcones/Parkcrest opposite of the vacant gas station and Jack Brown cleaners site.  2222.JPG?zoom=2

The sign in the foreground is advertising new lots for sale in which would become the Allandale and Highland Park West neighborhoods.

If you look closely right behind the stop sign it almost looks like the street sign says Burnet

I-35 in Austin, 1970s.

19366313_1556545931044197_14908865652737

Famed Bootmaker Charlie Dunn, 1980:

21751306_1645232752175514_80397993598543

A VERY early photo (1860s) of Congress Ave. in Austin looking north toward the old capitol building, which burned in the early 1880s.. Note the foot bridges crossing the street. Those were to keep the mud and slop off of people as they crossed. It was subsequently bricked over and then, in the early 1900s, paved.

27067777_1787171064648348_84402038353536

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Guitarman said:

Jesus that was heartbreaking to watch.

Just Waterloo and Dog and Duck by themselves are a punch in the dick. Then add in Liberty Lunch, Players, Gattis, and the complete lack of traffic and this video becomes a real tearjerker.

A tearjerker is also what I call masturbating while watching Terms of Endearment.

Edited by Seger78

On 3/27/2018 at 11:08 AM, Chet Steadman said:

This is one of my all-time favorites.  All the historical documents I've seen identify this site what is now the NEC of Koenig and Burnet but I'm 90% sure that's incorrect and it's actually the NWC of 2222 and Balcones/Parkcrest opposite of the vacant gas station and Jack Brown cleaners site.  2222.JPG?zoom=2

The sign in the foreground is advertising new lots for sale in which would become the Allandale and Highland Park West neighborhoods.

I agree with you, Chet.

I can see how someone would think it is the NEC of Burnet & Koenig because that pic shows a 7-11, and there is one there now too.  But what gives it away is the terrain/hillside on the far right of this pic.  Nothing like that ever existed at Burnet & Koenig - the land slopes the other way.

• Like 1

def a cool story. my local film csb is from office space when they were driving down metric. apparently they shut down the street right in front of my old apartment because it kept popping back up in the scene for about 10 blocks of driving. acc northridge was also in that shot.

Yeah, I saw that. I remember the gas station at the NE corner of Cedar Bend and Metric being used as the staging area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking south from about Airport at I35 being built in 1954. The red arrow is pointing to what was then my grandparents’ house on 43rd, which backed up to the Hancock Golf Course back nine before it became Hancock Center.

95103c349131f43acb44c6dd1b96e801.jpg

Damn that enormous red arrow must have driven them crazy.

11 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Looking south from about Airport at I35 being built in 1954. The red arrow is pointing to what was then my grandparents’ house on 43rd, which backed up to the Hancock Golf Course back nine before it became Hancock Center.

95103c349131f43acb44c6dd1b96e801.jpg

oh wow. so, hancock used to be a full 18 hole course? pretty interesting. Crazy how the terrain between the two nines is so different. the original back nine looks like a links course.

1 minute ago, Bottlecap said:

oh wow. so, hancock used to be a full 18 hole course? pretty interesting. Crazy how the terrain between the two nines is so different. the original back nine looks like a links course.

I think that Hancock used to be the old Austin Country Club.

2 hours ago, PatrickMcHorn said:

Need help from the olds. My mom's side came to Austin in the mid sixties for my grandpa to manage a Gibson's. I think it was somewhere in the Crestview/ Allendale area. Anyone know what it is now, or where it was if the building no longer exists?

I used to shop at a Gibson's on Burnet road. It was just North of where the old Dallas nightclub used to be. 

Hancock was definitely the Austin Country Club...it's where Harvey Penick began his career.  Hyde Park was the end of the earth...a ritzy neighborhood "Way out north"

Speedway was the only road between Austin and Round Rock and it took all day by horse and buggy, navigating the washouts and the boulders in the road.

• Like 1

Just now, TtomTerrific said:

Hancock was definitely the Austin Country Club...it's where Harvey Penick began his career.  Hyde Park was the end of the earth...a ritzy neighborhood "Way out north"

Speedway was the only road between Austin and Round Rock and it took all day by horse and buggy, navigating the washouts and the boulders in the road.

Armybrat sock?

Yeah, Austin Country Club moved from Hancock to Riverside in the late 40’s IIRC.

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

You really had to be careful not to hit it into the tree. 

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

i think part of the 9 they took out is now the HEB and that complex.

3 hours ago, Paco said:

Hope this works

You have now entered the Twilight Zone.

Nice that they promoted the delusional survivability notion with wild recovery optimism and a dash of cowardice morality shaming.

Other comments:

That June 1996 video was take the month I moved here for grad school. It was definitely a different place than today.

All the really old B&W photos show a pretty fucking barren landscape. Was that because of the prevalence of (over) grazing at the time?

That 1860s Barton Springs shot is just incredible. Hornius always knows how to bring it.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Where was there a lake in Hyde Park?

There was also a horse race track in Hyde Park.  Take a close look at E. 39th Street - it is curved because that is where the south end of the race track was located. The street just followed the curve after the track was done away with and the land plotted or more new homes.

. I bet most residents in that area aren't aware of it at all.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hyde+Park,+Austin,+TX/@30.300728,-97.7312494,322m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8644ca710dd9e5b5:0x526d78512aa5b73c!8m2!3d30.305177!4d-97.731512

Later on they ha auto races on the track:

PICA25622lg.jpg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1