Austin Nostalgia Picture Thread

Chet Steadman

13 hours ago, Paco said:
20 hours ago, Armybrat said:
Must've been after my time in South Austin (moved out in 1967).
Spent my high school weekend nights cruising the Pig Stand at Live Oak & Congress and the Holiday House on Barton Springs Road in the late '50s &early '60s.

Brat I'm sure you ran into my Dad at some point. Seems like 90% of his stories start at the Pig Stand. He was Travis class of '62.

It's possible. I was St. Edward's HS Class of 1962. We were envious of the Travis High guys who got to go to school with chicks - hence the cruising of those venerable venues.

"Do you mind if I dance with your date?" 

We would walk to the old Fox Theater on Airport to catch an early movie and then share our change to buy a cheeseburger and french fries from Airport Haven Hamburgers back in the day. I would punch everyone of you fuckers in the face for an Airport Haven cheeseburger right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaggerHorns said:

I went to Pearl Jam in 1999 (I think) at Southpark Meadows.

Gents, this thread is fucking awesome.

Yeah I really, really dig these old pics and all the memories & stories they conjure.

Edited by wood

We would walk to the old Fox Theater on Airport to catch an early movie and then share our change to buy a cheeseburger and french fries from Airport Haven Hamburgers back in the day. I would punch everyone of you fuckers in the face for an Airport Haven cheeseburger right now. 
I would take a punch in the face from everyone for an airport haven burger right now.

23 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Must've been after my time in South Austin (moved out in 1967).

Spent my high school weekend nights cruising the Pig Stand at Live Oak & Congress and the Holiday House on Barton Springs Road in the late '50s &early '60s.

You, no doubt, crossed paths with my Dad and his friends.  I've heard many Pig Stand stories over the years.

Doh!  Paco beat me to it.

Edited by Felix

View from the Tower observation deck - 1969.
In 1966 there was a parking lot on the east side of the block where the Dobie Tower is being constructed in this pic. That's where I watched Whitman do his evil work from. A utility worker, Roy Schmidt, was killed across the street from Littlefield fountain while returning to his truck.
DCKkNoqWsAEAoMp.jpg:large

Looking at this pic - I think the city and state missed a huge opp to have a national mall style expanse from the tower to the capitol.

34 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

I took this pic around late 90s early '00s.  I also have a video of driving down South Congress around the same time.  I'll see if I can find it.  I'm sure it's a .mov file which I have no idea what to do with.

guns.jpg

Yeah I lived a few blocks from there about that time. Boring AF back then.  Continental Club is about the only thing that hasn't changed.

4 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Looking at this pic - I think the city and state missed a huge opp to have a national mall style expanse from the tower to the capitol.

Too bad the old Kappa Sig house down at 19th next to the Cambridge Tower Condos was torn down. On Texas Independence Day they'd get drunk, put on serapes & sombreros and shoot back at the ROTC cannon salute up on the South Mall. I think they even had a small cannon themselves.

Edited to add picture of said scene - just took it from my 1963 Cactus (page 130):

Note that they caught their own front lawn on fire from their little black powder cannon blast. lol

DF257_ECB_8_FF5_4_E67_BC45_FEDDA7_B56601

Edited by Armybrat
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stros said:

I was there, it was a good time. I also saw Dave Matthews there in 1999.

I saw Smashing Pumpkins, Blind Melon, Rev Horton Heat and others there in 1994. How frequent were shows there? At the time, I thought it was something that was really sporadic.

I saw Smashing Pumpkins, Blind Melon, Rev Horton Heat and others there in 1994. How frequent were shows there? At the time, I thought it was something that was really sporadic.

I loved that place.  Shows Maybe 1-2x/month. It was a great venue for bigger shows. Had a big concrete pad up close and then a nice slope. It reminded me of the original backyard but much much larger.    

There was a Pearl Jam show scheduled there in the summer of maybe 1994 that was cancelled. Huge letdown for me because I was working out of town in West Texas and it was my only weekend off all summer . I literally didn’t see them live again until acl a few years ago. Wait was worth it though - damn that was a good show.  

I think I went to Lollapalooza there also when it was a tour. That would have been 93 or 94 also. I met John Popper and he gave me a harmonica.

First time I banged my wife was after a jimmy buffet show out there in 1996 - it was the night after the UT notre dame game where James brown snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. We rented a party bus to get out there. I got a handy on the bus-ride back to Cain&Ables . She had huge tits. I had to look at her bra the next am because could not believe how glorious.

Still love her tits. Pics for you fucks...

7ae6099e635fc3ff094ebc9f6b32f055.jpg

• Like 3

Austin skyline & 290 west from Convict Hill in 1981. Note the sign for Mr. Gatti's on the right. That was the first Gatti's, I believe.Two stories, with the coveted "private" booths. Oh man. Good times. I remember my mom would drop me & my friends off there after Bedichek football games. There was an old cemetery out back, connected to the current funeral home on W. Cannon. We used to go out there with girls and hope they got spooked. Been looking for a pic of that Gatti's, but I can't find one. I live just a couple of miles from there but it doesn't look anything at all like it looked then. Sad.

7990149401_2e888384ba_b.jpg

[/url]

Looks like the construction activity in the background was Barton Creek Sq being built.

It's possible. I was St. Edward's HS Class of 1962. We were envious of the Travis High guys who got to go to school with chicks - hence the cruising of those venerable venues.
"Do you mind if I dance with your date?" 

Were you a Greaser, Brat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First time I banged my wife was after a jimmy buffet show out there in 1996 - it was the night after the UT notre dame game where James brown snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. We rented a party bus to get out there. I got a handy on the bus-ride back to Cain&Ables.

I was at that concert as well, with my gf at the time who I later married. We hit Abel's between the game and the concert... damn nice weather that day for September.

37 minutes ago, PatrickMcHorn said:

That's a great picture.

Based on the river, this looks like it's before both Mansfield and longhorns dams, right?

29 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Before Longhorn Dam but Mansfield (and Tom Miller) were built before Disch Field.

And before the City Auditorium was built in '57 - not to mention 1st Street west of Lamar. Seaholm Power Plant was built in 1951, Longhorn Dam in 1960. So photo was taken sometime between 1951 & 1957.

Edited by Armybrat

On 4/6/2018 at 1:17 AM, wood said:

Willie's Picnic at Southpark Meadows in 1984, between my freshman and soph years at UT. Saw the Police there. Back then that was "way out in the boonies" lol.

1qRVAc.St.117.jpeg

Willie's first in 1973.  Kid in white tee shirt at lower left center is my now 50 year old son (a few here know him on Surly).

cxHsxmPd_o.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/6/2018 at 1:44 AM, wood said:

Austin skyline & 290 west from Convict Hill in 1981. Note the sign for Mr. Gatti's on the right. That was the first Gatti's, I believe.Two stories, with the coveted "private" booths. Oh man. Good times. I remember my mom would drop me & my friends off there after Bedichek football games. There was an old cemetery out back, connected to the current funeral home on W. Cannon. We used to go out there with girls and hope they got spooked. Been looking for a pic of that Gatti's, but I can't find one. I live just a couple of miles from there but it doesn't look anything at all like it looked then. Sad.

7990149401_2e888384ba_b.jpg

This is a cool pic.  I live off the top of Convict Hill road near 290 so it's really interesting to see what it looked like in 1981.  I once ran across some old satellite images from 1983 or so, when there were only a couple houses up there close to where this pic was taken.  Everything else to the south and west was ranch land..

56 minutes ago, Seger78 said:

South Congress, right by Allen's boots. I think South Congress Cafe is there now. Divey bar with ~20 tap beers, reggae bands, and Jamaican/Mexican food.

22646_312777894065_7160534_n.jpg?_nc_cat

I actually went there for lunch a few times. Had the Jamaican food. Wasn't terrible.

Here's an oldie - found this bank bag whilst rooting around in a box from the attic. My Dad was personnel director there in 1959 - his first job after he retired from the Army. Perry's Restaurant is located there now (next to the vintage Norwood Tower):

7_FC07732_4113_41_A2_BF82_489_B9_CDAE385

• Like 1

I was at that show. My older brother was a sophomore at Texas and my girlfriend and younger drove up with me from Houston to go to that concert (all of us in high school still). On the way back to my brother’s place in west campus I ran the light at 24th and San Antonio. Cop pulls me over and another shows up. They yank me out of the car because I had this piece of wood under my seat that they said was a concealed weapon. After trying to scare the shit out of me they gave me a ticket for the traffic light, took the beater and left. Assholes.

When I was at UT from 95-99 we saw Rage Against the Machine there with the Roots. We also went to one of the Warp Tours. Hot as fuck that day.

Just now, Blotto said:

I was at that smashing pumpkins show at southpark meadows. I seem to remember it was hot as fuck and they had water cannons they were dousing the crowd with. Amature wet t-shirt contest.

Pretty sure Billy Corgan almost left the stage after someone threw a shoe at him. There had been a recent incident at a Houston show just before that where he had walked out after a shoe got thrown on stage.

Was working at Camelot Music in Barton Creek Mall at the time and won the tickets for pushing Lion King DVD pre-sales.

On 4/7/2018 at 7:27 PM, Seger78 said:

South Congress, right by Allen's boots. I think South Congress Cafe is there now. Divey bar with ~20 tap beers, reggae bands, and Jamaican/Mexican food.

22646_312777894065_7160534_n.jpg?_nc_cat

Was that place there around 2001, with open mic night? Pretty sure I got up on stage and made noise there.