Austin Nostalgia Picture Thread

Chet Steadman

On 7/22/2018 at 2:48 PM, dcbc said:

o.jpg

#4 with a Cookies & Cream Milkshake, please. 

Ate there on a weekly basis in college. Damn I miss it. The day the placed closed, one of the local TV stations did a news story about it. They had a reporter on the scene as crews were carrying away tables and chairs in the background. As I'm watching, my fraternity's president enters the picture, looks around, pulls a big beer sign off the wall and walks away with it. /csb 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 4:58 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Ah yeah. Back behind Tower. I think I ate there once before they did away with it.

NW corner of 24th and San Antonio. It is a Starbucks now.  That building had Sound Waves records, a head shop, and Les Amis.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

5 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

NW corner of 24th and San Jac. It is a Starbucks now.  That building had Sound Waves records, a head shop, and Les Amis.

There was another restaurant I think was on that street, kinda old-school joint open to the street. I got there in 97 and it was gone soon after.

You thinking of Johnny Rockets? It was one of the first tenants when they re-developed that site after MD&B closed. Not sure it made it to 97 though. There was also a kick ass pizza place a block or so west about that time.

Edited by ftf82

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 6:28 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Pre-Johnny Rockets. Some kind of bar with food. Low-slung building.

Is it the place now shown as Mongolian Hot Pot on google streetview? Or was it further west where the Shell station is now?  I remember an old burger or bbq place somewhere along that side of the street in that area, in the early 90s.

2 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Is it the place now shown as Mongolian Hot Pot on google streetview? Or was it further west where the Shell station is now?  I remember an old burger or bbq place somewhere along that side of the street in that area, in the early 90s.

I am no longer sure. I just looked at street view and saw a monstrous tower on that side that could have been where it was in the 90s. It was one of those places I went to once when I first fetched up in Austin, then my routines settled into different neighborhoods.

On 8/29/2018 at 9:46 AM, Al Czervik said:

https://imgur.com/zX5OPbG

https://imgur.com/nWOWTjC

https://imgur.com/owPPD11

1st pic: Goddess of Liberty airlifted from the dome to the ground, 1985.

2nd & 3rd pic: The new Goddess of Liberty waiting at Camp Mabry to be placed on top of the Capitol dome.

Local television showed that whole thing live.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 10:19 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:
On 8/31/2018 at 10:08 AM, Steamboat1874 said:
Local television showed that whole thing live.

I remember the first time they tried to reinstall the statue but it was too windy/the chopper was too small so they had to abort after several attempts. Brought in a special heavy lift bird from a base in Louisiana as I recall to get the job done.

Mississippi National Guard if memory serves. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

35 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

...over the Underwood's Bar B que building, which was also newly built back in the 70's and had shitty food.

More on that intersection/area:  On the Southwest corner-ish, where the roller skate/antique place is now used to be all Playland Skating, where alas, I was not permitted to hang out.  However, before it was Playland, it was a bad ass fill dump place that was overgrown with weeds except where we would carve bike trails and jumps into the dump loads and hang out with the neighborhood delinquents who had minibikes and smoked cigarettes, which was apparently ok with my parents.

My dad got in a wreck turning left into the side street of the future Playland, he was broadsided on the passenger side where my brother and I were sitting with no seat belts of course.  Not a scratch.

Another time heading up that street my brother fell out of our Country Squire station wagon when he forgot to close his door all the way.  He simply tumbled out over the curb and landed on the grass as my dad drove on for another 30' or so.  Again, no seat belts.  Good times.

Underwood's was disgusting, for sure.

I grew up 1.5 blocks behind Playland, but it was already built when I was old enough to ride my bike around on my own and explore.  Even so, there was still "The Field" which was a chunk of undeveloped land behind what is now the Nissan dealership, that fits your description of carved-out bike trails and jumps, and kids smoking cigarettes.  We also regularly had our bb gun and roman candle wars in The Field.

The person who owned The Field had held out, and the neighborhood got completely built out to the NW and SE of it.  Years later, when they built the Holiday Inn Holidome up on Tallwood/Jollyville/Mopac access road, their original desired location was that Field.  But my parents and others in the neighborhood moved to block it, as the planned 3-5 story building would pretty easily have sight lines into errrrbody's backyard.  Ultimately the Holiday Inn went up to that corner overlooking the MOPAC/183 exchange, and The Field was developed into about 25-30 new homes wedged into that area, all about 30 years newer than the neighborhood surrounding it on 3 sides.

That is what used to be the Beta Theta Pi house (now ATO house) across from the tennis center -- Lamar and 24th street area.

That is correct. Opposite side of house is where we would hit golf balls at the Phi Psi house. That 3rd floor roof deck over looks the tennis courts, where the UIL would hold the high school state tennis matches and we would leer at soon to be coeds.

That dike Ann Richards lived down the street and would call the cops on us. Good times.
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Was was the Kroger at Burnet and Anderson?  First I’ve ever heard of this.  

The Gulf-Mart store was the original development at the northwest corner of Burnet Road and Anderson Lane back when everything else was open fields out there, including the Northcross Mall area.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Was was the Kroger at Burnet and Anderson?  First I’ve ever heard of this.  

Not right on the intersection. Kroger was on Burnet north of Anderson by a block or two

There was also a Handy Andy in the village.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, utee94 said:

Underwood's was disgusting, for sure.

I grew up 1.5 blocks behind Playland, but it was already built when I was old enough to ride my bike around on my own and explore.  Even so, there was still "The Field" which was a chunk of undeveloped land behind what is now the Nissan dealership, that fits your description of carved-out bike trails and jumps, and kids smoking cigarettes.  We also regularly had our bb gun and roman candle wars in The Field.

The person who owned The Field had held out, and the neighborhood got completely built out to the NW and SE of it.  Years later, when they built the Holiday Inn Holidome up on Tallwood/Jollyville/Mopac access road, their original desired location was that Field.  But my parents and others in the neighborhood moved to block it, as the planned 3-5 story building would pretty easily have sight lines into errrrbody's backyard.  Ultimately the Holiday Inn went up to that corner overlooking the MOPAC/183 exchange, and The Field was developed into about 25-30 new homes wedged into that area, all about 30 years newer than the neighborhood surrounding it on 3 sides.

I remember the field of which you speak.  Our house backed up to it on Melshire.

Back in the early 70s, there was a thriving horny toad population in that field. We would catch dozens of them put them in a shoebox for observation and then release later. 

Bluebonnet's were also pretty spectacular. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I remember the field of which you speak.  Our house backed up to it on Melshire.

Back in the early 70s, there was a thriving horny toad population in that field. We would catch dozens of them put them in a shoebox for observation and then release later. 

Bluebonnet's were also pretty spectacular. 

Oh yeah, then it was your backyard.  Sorry for any BBs that I might have shot over your fence and hit your house...

I was a couple blocks over on Kerrybrook.  My folks still live in that house.

14 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That is what used to be the Beta Theta Pi house (now ATO house) across from the tennis center -- Lamar and 24th street area.

I lived in the bottom floor of the old house just to the right of that frat shack in 1959.

Friday & Saturday nights got pretty noisy, especially when the drunks ran out onto the upstairs fire escape to puke down on the driveway.

Anne Richards. & husband were neighbors on the other side.

14 hours ago, TexasBeta said:

That is correct. Opposite side of house is where we would hit golf balls at the Phi Psi house. That 3rd floor roof deck over looks the tennis courts, where the UIL would hold the high school state tennis matches and we would leer at soon to be coeds.

That dike Ann Richards lived down the street and would call the cops on us. Good times.

Yep, but she was still married then.

24 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh yeah, then it was your backyard.  Sorry for any BBs that I might have shot over your fence and hit your house...

I was a couple blocks over on Kerrybrook.  My folks still live in that house.

We were out of there to our Parmer/Burnet house in the fall of '75, so I think we missed your gun play.

3 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Not right on the intersection. Kroger was on Burnet north of Anderson by a block or two

There was also a Handy Andy in the village.

Yeah the Kroger was the building that then became the Showbiz Pizza (and later Chuck E Cheese) and Ross Dress For Less.  That site is now a Subaru dealership.

I used to ride my (cheap, imitation) BMX bike in the concrete drainage out front, it was like a half-pipe with hard corners at the bottom.  I came down one time and landed so hard straddled across that corner gap, that I cracked the welds on my frame in two places and it broke in half right under me. 

Handy Andy was our regular grocery store, in the Village at the corner of Rockwood and Anderson.  It later became a Market Basket, and then Steinmart, and is now a Goodwill.

• Like 1

Was the Green Acres miniature golf course & driving range still out on Burnet Road in the the ‘70s? We used to take our dates out there in the early 1960s.

The Anderson lane area between Burnet & the railroad back then was a ranch as I recall. Just north of the Pickle campus on the west side of Burnet in what is now the Domain area was an old abandoned farm where a despondent high school kid hung himself in the early 1970s.

The Gulf Mart discount store is what opened that area on the north side of Anderson... or was it over on Airport where Highland Mall was built?

My two younger sons went to St. Louis Parochial in the late 1970s.

Edited by Armybrat

16 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That's the west side of Goodall Wooten, I'm guessing.

the goodall wooten doesn't have outdoor stairs nor does it have another building perpendicular to it unless they did some major cosmetic overhaul sometime.  i thought it was that building south of MLK, west of speedway.

It is the Woo, though.  Mind you, the picture is older than dirt so I'm sure it was modified over time.  Barbershop probably has the same staff (is the barbershop still there)?

Yeah, Ann used to live two doors down and some people would put Clayton Williams signs on the yard facing her house.  Aside from newer windows, the house looked just like that when I lived there... plus the sport court.  That's some prime real estate.  What goes in its place?  High rise?

On 3/27/2018 at 8:27 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Damn. That’s exactly the kind of place I love to find abandoned to take photos of. Then hope it gets restored. Too bad here in Texas we love knocking down old, cool looking buildings. 

You would’ve loved to explore the old Seton Hospital in West Campus just before it was demolished.
my brother was the Co- CEO there and oversaw the move to its current location on 35th.

Most of the usable materials like copper wiring had already been salvaged, but I & my brothers went in for a last look late one afternoon when the shadowy lighting inside reminded me of a b&w Federico Fellini film.
I went up to the 3rd floor where I found this counter cabinet still remaining in a nurse’s station, pried it loose from the wall and dragged it down the 3 flights of stairs to put it in the back of the pickup. It has served as my workbench for almost 45 years.

image.jpg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Was the Green Acres miniature golf course & driving range still out on Burnet Road in the the ‘70s? We used to take our dates out there in the early 1960s.

The Anderson lane area between Burnet & the railroad back then was a ranch as I recall. Just north of the Pickle campus on the west side of Burnet in what is now the Domain area was an old abandoned farm where a despondent high school kid hung himself in the early 1970s.

The Gulf Mart discount store is what opened that area on the north side of Anderson... or was it over on Airport where Highland Mall was built?

I think the place on Airport you are thinking of was called "Sage" or something like that.  Similar early-stage big box store like the Gulf Mart at Anderson and Burnet was.

6 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I think the place on Airport you are thinking of was called "Sage" or something like that.  Similar early-stage big box store like the Gulf Mart at Anderson and Burnet was.

You are correct. Before Sage was built on that tract, the land was the former site of an old orphanage for “Negroes”. When either Sage, or later on, the mall was being built a number of graves were unearthed.

The LBJ corporation had owned the vacant 80 or so acres.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yeah the Kroger was the building that then became the Showbiz Pizza (and later Chuck E Cheese) and Ross Dress For Less.  That site is now a Subaru dealership.

I used to ride my (cheap, imitation) BMX bike in the concrete drainage out front, it was like a half-pipe with hard corners at the bottom.  I came down one time and landed so hard straddled across that corner gap, that I cracked the welds on my frame in two places and it broke in half right under me. 

Handy Andy was our regular grocery store, in the Village at the corner of Rockwood and Anderson.  It later became a Market Basket, and then Steinmart, and is now a Goodwill.

That Kroger had everything.  While my mom would shop I would go over to the fishing and toy areas and check out all the cool stuff they had.  They also had an awesome Halloween display with a mini haunted house.  I remember I went in there one time and then came back out and could not find my mom and brother because they had left me there.  The story goes that they both got in the car and neither one said anything until they were almost back home.  Mom had to come all the way back from Parmer to get me.  I was waiting out front as the sun was going down.

A few more stories from the neighborhood that taken with previous posts from this thread, all seem to reflect rather poorly on my parents attention to detail and child raising abilities:

Story 1:  There used to be a Yarrings and a Cloth World up the street on Burnet that mom would frequent.  When she wanted peace and quiet to shop, she would leave my brother and I in the car to wait outside for up to an hour.  As mentioned before, we had a Country Squire station wagon, which had a pair of seats in the very back that folded down for space and would also fold up to have the seats facing each other perpendicular to the regular car seating.  On one such occasion while we were waiting, my brother slammed the seats closed while my finger was by the seam crease and he closed my finger in the seam while the seat lock was in the lock position, so I was stuck screaming with my finger caught. My brother refused to go get my mom for fear that it might upset her and preferred to wait it out.  Eventually he went and got her and she unlocked the seat, told me to rub some dirt on my wound and went back to shopping.

Story 2: There is an old post office there on Anderson that we used back in the day.  It was 1970 and my twin brother and I were 3 when mom left us in the car to go run in and mail something.  She was in such a hurry that she forgot to put the car in park.  No sooner was he inside than it started to roll down the parking lot, jumping the curb and out into Anderson Lane.  When mom came out she was horrified thinking that someone had stolen her car with her boys in it until a concerned bystander asked if the car out in the middle of Anderson Lane was hers.

Story 3: Back when we lived on Melshire, my dad was building a house a few doors down from us.  My mom was busy doing something having to do with her lady parts and dad got stuck with us during the evening.  Back in those days he did a lot of the work himself and he and his foreman were trimming out the house a few doors down that night.  My brother and I (we were 4 or 5 ant the time)were clowning around and he ended up stepping on a nail that went right through his foot.  My dad bitched my brother a blue streak before taking his snotty handkerchief in hand to bind the wound.  It was winter and cold and he then forced us to stay seated on the bare concrete floor without moving for the next 3 hours while he worked on the house trim.  My poor brother cried the whole time. didn't get a whole lotta love from mom either if I recall.

We have a family reunion coming up next week and it is good that I have had occasion to recall all of this, as it might come in handy should there be any questioning of my parenting skills. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

I bet I knew them.  My last year there was 6th grade 78-79 school year.