Right Wing Extremist Violence Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

These faux journalists and organizations make a mockery of what investigative journalism should be. Is there any turning back from this path?

Maybe create a governing body to certify journalists. Get certified with regular vetting to ensure standards are met. Everyone else is deemed "opinion". 

3 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Maybe create a governing body to certify journalists. Get certified with regular vetting to ensure standards are met. Everyone else is deemed "opinion". 

had a similar idea. but make it much more defined: press and media. treat press like they do doctors, lawyers, architects (my profession) and make them get a license. require continuing education and have a governing body that presides over them. If you fuck up/lie/etc - you get a demerit. So many demerits, you lose your license and you become media.

3 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Nobody would trust it (and for good reason). The only real solution is actually teaching people critical thinking skills so that they can evaluate the difference between a newspaper with rigorous editorial standards and shit like Quilette.

In other words, we're fucked.

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Nobody would trust it (and for good reason). The only real solution is actually teaching people critical thinking skills so that they can evaluate the difference between a newspaper with rigorous editorial standards and shit like Quilette.

In other words, we're fucked.

that's the other component of it, of course. but education is the answer to a lot of our problems. Inside the "fake news" problem in particular, it is pretty prevalent. But if we make the institution more honorable and truthful, over time people will come to trust it again. cable news and the internet ruined the press for everyone

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

that's the other component of it, of course. but education is the answer to a lot of our problems. Inside the "fake news" problem in particular, it is pretty prevalent. But if we make the institution more honorable and truthful, over time people will come to trust it again. cable news and the internet ruined the press for everyone

While real news organizations have some problems that derive from corporate ownership's thirst for profits, overall there isn't even remotely a problem with real news organizations not being truthful. The problem is that a lot of people are stupid and have allowed themselves to be convinced that they're not truthful, not due to any evidence but because stupid people are easily manipulated.  No cultist, conspiracy theorist, or believer of any other completely illogical bullshit has ever had his mind changed by a rational explanation of evidence to the contrary.  I don't know why you think that would suddenly change.

• Like 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

While real news organizations have some problems that derive from corporate ownership's thirst for profits, overall there isn't even remotely a problem with real news organizations not being truthful. The problem is that a lot of people are stupid and have allowed themselves to be convinced that they're not truthful, not due to any evidence but because stupid people are easily manipulated.  No cultist, conspiracy theorist, or believer of any other completely illogical bullshit has ever had his mind changed by a rational explanation of evidence to the contrary.  I don't know why you think that would suddenly change.

I agree with what you said except the bolded part. I never said that.

It has gotten more difficult with the advent of the internet. When I read an article and they quote someone, I try and do a little background reading. For example, back in the day if a writer referenced 'so-and-so of The Such and Such Institute" then I would look up the person and the institute. Many of the think tanks and foundations used to be fairly upfront with who backed them. Not so much anymore. They have gotten more cagey about it, or just don't bother. You can still suss it out, but it requires more leg work if you want to do it yourself and not rely upon what others are telling you. Most folks are just too weary or too lazy to do it.

The Muckety site was one I used back when Perry was governor of Texas. The local paper had reported that one of his appointed regents had not made any campaign donations to Rick. I knew that had to be wrong, and sent an email to the paper pointing out that the TEC had donations from Clifton Thomas of Victoria, TX  dating back to 2005 to Texans for Rick Perry. Every year, sometimes during more than one quarter, $25,000.00 at a time. They never issued a correction in the paper, but at least I knew what the going rate for a regent was...

Thanks for the video, BT.

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

There's always going to be a good chunk of people who don't like the press, because it doesn't fit their worldview.  And then you have "Fox News Channel" which many claim is completely honest news).  Plus, we have the President up there claiming that verified stories are fake news.  That offsets/obliterates any chance of a chunk of the population respecting or trusting the institutions.

There is some serious truth though, about cable TV and cable news.   Once local and national broadcast news began competing with cable news, the wheels fell off the wagon.  They were already loosening in some cities, where the local news was trying to compete within local markets, but the 24/7 news cycle really fucked with things (and CNN started in early 1980).

Being a child of the '70s and '80s, I got the chance to see this play out - the Adam Walsh murder/decapitation was played up so much, that it scared the shit out of parents nation-wide, who were used to dropping their kids off at various places.   The Tylenol scare, the "bad stuff in Halloween candy" stores, etc. all got played so hard in the media, even though the chances of any of these things happening to a kid were far lower than the kid getting run over by some dipshit blowing through a stop sign, or drowning in the neighbors pool.

Prior to that, local and national news programming had to treat their time slots very serious - you may only have 20 minutes to squeeze in X number of news stories, and so you were picky, and you stuck to what was relevant to your viewers, because you and your competitors were trying to provide the most info as possible (while competing with the next morning's newspaper, which could do deep-dives on stories).  Once 24/7 cable news came in, and said 24/7 cable news had the time to cover all kinds of crazy shit around the country, you saw plenty of local and national news broadcasts covering stories that they wouldn't have covered in years past, but their viewers were starting to fixate on sensationalism.   A local story about a hit-and-run at a dangerous intersection that many of the viewers go through every day  might lose out to some nut 2,000 miles away hacking up his family, etc.

I loathe going to Austin-area TV station websites, because inevitably, and this is the cynic in me, I will find far too much of their content to be irrelevant to people who actually live in the area, but it's a sexy story (sometimes literally), so it's going to be right there alongside whatever bonehead moves our City Council makes.

• Like 2

I've been pouring through newspapers from 150-110 years ago, doing some genealogy research, and the press back then was far more brutal to the politicians than anything Trump whines about.  They would have reduced Trump to tears, and curling up in the fetal position.  The moment they started drawing his attention, they would have shifted into over-drive, and run article-after-article about how much he actually is worth, coverage of his mistresses, etc., and they would not have let up.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There's always going to be a good chunk of people who don't like the press, because it doesn't fit their worldview.  And then you have "Fox News Channel" which many claim is completely honest news).  Plus, we have the President up there claiming that verified stories are fake news.  That offsets/obliterates any chance of a chunk of the population respecting or trusting the institutions.

There is some serious truth though, about cable TV and cable news.   Once local and national broadcast news began competing with cable news, the wheels fell off the wagon.  They were already loosening in some cities, where the local news was trying to compete within local markets, but the 24/7 news cycle really fucked with things (and CNN started in early 1980).

Being a child of the '70s and '80s, I got the chance to see this play out - the Adam Walsh murder/decapitation was played up so much, that it scared the shit out of parents nation-wide, who were used to dropping their kids off at various places.   The Tylenol scare, the "bad stuff in Halloween candy" stores, etc. all got played so hard in the media, even though the chances of any of these things happening to a kid were far lower than the kid getting run over by some dipshit blowing through a stop sign, or drowning in the neighbors pool.

Prior to that, local and national news programming had to treat their time slots very serious - you may only have 20 minutes to squeeze in X number of news stories, and so you were picky, and you stuck to what was relevant to your viewers, because you and your competitors were trying to provide the most info as possible (while competing with the next morning's newspaper, which could do deep-dives on stories).  Once 24/7 cable news came in, and said 24/7 cable news had the time to cover all kinds of crazy shit around the country, you saw plenty of local and national news broadcasts covering stories that they wouldn't have covered in years past, but their viewers were starting to fixate on sensationalism.   A local story about a hit-and-run at a dangerous intersection that many of the viewers go through every day  might lose out to some nut 2,000 miles away hacking up his family, etc.

I loathe going to Austin-area TV station websites, because inevitably, and this is the cynic in me, I will find far too much of their content to be irrelevant to people who actually live in the area, but it's a sexy story (sometimes literally), so it's going to be right there alongside whatever bonehead moves our City Council makes.

Prior to attending college in the early 90s, I'd never heard of a Mass Comm major. Once being there, I noticed they were on whole a more attractive bunch than the Journalism majors. It seems they won out.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

you just hit another topic: the press should not be a for-profit enterprise. I'm not saying public sector, but perhaps public subsidized.

52 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

you just hit another topic: the press should not be a for-profit enterprise. I'm not saying public sector, but perhaps public subsidized.

Kinda like NPR & PBS, both of which are probably among the most reliable sources for unbiased content. They are a godsend in this media landscape of plastic tits, bleach blondes, and talking heads if you're interested in factual reporting.

Edited by bolverk

Kinda like NPR & PBS, both of which are probably among the most reliable sources for unbiased content. They are a godsend in this media landscape of plastic tits, bleach blondes, and talking heads if you're interested in factual reporting.

National Peoples Radio and the Peoples Broadcast System /chrispy

On 8/27/2019 at 2:00 PM, bolverk said:

But where will I get my Super Beets???  

• Like 1

The lunatics are preaching and it ain't pretty:

Hank Kunneman: Legal Abortion Gives Demonic Spirits the ‘Blood Right’ to Carry Out School Shootings in America

On Wednesday night, right-wing pastors Hank and Brenda Kunneman of One Voice Ministries in Omaha, Nebraska, held a special “Prophetic Pulse” conference call, during which they warned God will hold America accountable for electing pro-choice legislators and said that legal abortion has given demonic spirits the “blood right” to carry out school shootings in this country.

“God is going to hold us accountable when we are electing people into office that are pro-choice,” said Brenda Kunneman. “We have got to look at ourselves and what we’re allowing to have liberty in the nation that is a hindrance to the Gospel.”

“Blood and spirit go together,” Hank Kunneman added. “This is why witches use animal sacrifices, they use human sacrifices because it draws a spirit as a medium to carry out certain agendas. The enemy now, since the legalizing of abortion in our land, has carried out the agenda of Hell and has released spirits over our land. This is why there is such a fight right now on our land, who is going to get the blood right of the United States of America?”

“If we are … shedding innocent blood through abortion and legalizing it and voting people in, it is furthering the agenda of the demonic blood right for those spirits then to rule over our land and take prayer out of the schools, bring violence to our schools,” he said. “It used to be prayers in school, now it’s bullets. We have people who are confused in their gender identity; it has released a whole lot of Pandora’s box.”

“You who vote these people in need to do a heart check,” Hank Kunneman continued. “Are you on the Lord’s side? Do you really understand that you are hindering God’s agenda? You are furthering through a legal blood right of the shedding of innocent blood in the womb the furthering of the demonic agenda of Hell to destroy this nation. And these politicians who are bent on liberalism and evil, they don’t care about the church, they don’t care about the life of a child in the womb, and they don’t care about the future of America.”

Link here: https://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/hank-kunneman-legal-abortion-gives-demonic-spirits-the-blood-right-to-carry-out-school-shootings-in-america/

There is a video at the above link.

https://www.plaintalk.net/local_news/article_22638732-ca97-11e9-bbea-bfdc1e9c01d9.html

Neo-Nazi White Supremacist Group Makes Presence Known At USD

The bulletin boards hanging in hallways of several buildings on the University of South Dakota campus contained what one expects to see when a new school year begins -- notices for USD clubs seeking new members, postings for apartments for rent, that sort of thing.

Monday morning, however, several bulletin boards at USD contained posters that are a bit out of the ordinary. They were from the American Identity Movement (AIM), an organization identified by the Southern Poverty Law Center as neo-Nazi and a white supremacist group.

The “Volante,” USD’s student newspaper reported Monday afternoon the posters from the white nationalist group appeared on bulletin boards in the Muenster University Center (MUC), the Al Neuharth Media Center and Patterson Hall earlier that morning.

Students and faculty reported seeing the posters, which were later removed. One of the posters, according to the “Volante,” read “Diversity Destroys Nations” above a drawing of burning city. A second poster contained the message “Defend America” in large type above a painting of a white woman standing atop a globe and holding a U.S. flag.

They are messages that need to be heard, said Patrick Casey, president of AIM, during a phone conversation with the Plain Talk Tuesday afternoon. He said the posters are just one way for the organization to communicate with people nationwide.

“We have members in the area; we have members all over the country,” he said, “and one of the more accomplished forms of activism is putting up flyers on college campuses.”

More at link. I believe this will be common on all campuses nationwide this fall. They are trying to normalize and promote their agenda to a younger audience.

15 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

https://www.plaintalk.net/local_news/article_22638732-ca97-11e9-bbea-bfdc1e9c01d9.html

More at link. I believe this will be common on all campuses nationwide this fall. They are trying to normalize and promote their agenda to a younger audience.

There's a website called "campus reform" that is just a big whiny platform for white nationalist cock suckers to bitch about "liberal indoctrination" at college campuses. Basically, they know that educated people know better than to be dumb racist assholes and they want to dumb down college and turn everyone into aggy.

Edited by Pam Cummings

I am familiar with Campus Reform. They have been publishing articles following the lawsuit being litigated against UT regarding free speech. The lawsuit was filed by Speech First, which is funded by Koch and other like minded groups but you won't discover that on the Speech First website, which really has no information there about their money stream or Board at all other than the five dollar membership fee.

Campus Reform has upped their aggression in North Carolina this fall presumably in advance of Trump's next rally.

When not busy plastering university and *college campuses with their white identity flyers, the group has been having little get togethers. Gee guys, what is it about that flag? And why no photos of your faces? Jared Taylor was a recent speaker. Jared is probably thanking his lucky stars that he is a US Citizen since he was born in Japan to missionary parents. He lived in Japan until he was 16. How would that work out for you today Jared? Oh that's right, you're white!

*If you live in Texas, some of the local campuses include Richland College, Collin College and University of North Texas.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
spell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh neat.

https://thehill.com/regulation/national-security/462621-army-soldier-who-allegedly-discussed-bombing-news-network

A U.S. Army soldier who allegedly discussed attacking a news station was charged in federal court Monday for sending instructions to build bombs over social media.

Jarrett William Smith, 24, was charged with one count of distributing information related to explosives and weapons of mass destruction.

According to FBI investigators, Smith said on Facebook that he was interested in joining the Azov Battalion, a paramilitary group in Ukraine.

In Facebook chats, he offered to teach other users how to make cellphone explosive devices “in the style of the Afghans.”

Smith talked about killing members of loosely organized left-wing movement antifa and destroying a local news station. On Aug. 21, he told an undercover investigator about how to make a vehicle bomb. Smith also described how to build a bomb that could be triggered by calling a cellphone.

The soldier faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in federal prison and a fine of up to $250,000.