The Andy Griffith Show

Sbbruin

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Jesus, as great as the originals were, the later ones were equally horrible.

Fucking Aunt Bee is taking flying lessons?   Just horrible. 

I think that one is widely considered the worst episode of all time...or at least in the bottom 5.

19 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Jesus, as great as the originals were, the later ones were equally horrible.

Fucking Aunt Bee is taking flying lessons?   Just horrible. 

I won’t watch any episodes in color.  Mayberry is to be watched in black and white,

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/4/2020 at 8:10 AM, Sbbruin said:

I won’t watch any episodes in color.  Mayberry is to be watched in black and white,

Two shows that never worked in color were Andy Griffith and The Munsters. 

On Andy Griffith, when they went color, they never thought about a color palette. The khaki uniforms, the drab green walls, everything in the outside scenes was a drab brown. 

Course the fact that Barney left and they tried the stupid fukkin Warren as a deputy didn't help. Huh? yeah. Huh? yeah. 

I'd forgotten about the toaster fixing bastard. 

Never seen a show replace so many stellar cast members with so many duds. In the early shows, even the bit characters were great. Parley Bear as the mayor, the Darlings, Will Wright as the cranky old Ben Weaver, just about all of them were perfect for their parts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

There are a couple of decent color episodes. The one about when Howard caught Old Sam and it pissed everbody off was more like real Mayberry stuff. Howard cracked me up at times. When he was the one fish out of water he could be funny. Most of them did really suck, though. Andy changed into a grumpy old man that was just annoyed all the time, too much cranky Aunt Bee, too many newcomers that didn't seem to fit, but mostly just some really really bad stories and lame attempts to react to modern culture.

Edited by DougO

On 8/8/2021 at 4:00 PM, DougO said:

There are a couple of decent color episodes. The one about when Howard caught Old Sam and it pissed everbody off was more like real Mayberry stuff. Howard cracked me up at times. When he was the one fish out of water he could be funny. Most of them did really suck, though. Andy changed into a grumpy old man that was just annoyed all the time, too much cranky Aunt Bee, too many newcomers that didn't seem to fit, but mostly just some really really bad stories and lame attempts to react to modern culture.

I think it's been mentioned upstream, but the actor playing Howard appeared in an early episode as Andy's insurance man. It's the one when Aunt Bee lost her broach or something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...

Oh fuck.  I'm sitting through a few of the later ones.  

Fucking USSR/USA summit in Andy's kitchen over pickles

Aunt Bee taking flying lessons

Helen has a criminal record

Goober lies about owning a chain of gas stations

Howard Sprage anything.  

As great as the early shows were the later ones were total dogshit.  "Jumped the Shark" or whatever.  Just a terrible show

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This needs a bump.....

TV Land shows TAGS every afternoon from 3 to 6.

I started watching all of those early series episodes again and they are so fucking good.

Brilliant writing. All of the guest stars are great and of course all of the regulars are as well.

I have a lot more respect for Frances Baviar (Aunt Bee). She is absolutley brilliant in this series.

She also plays a good drunk. There are a couple of episodes where she accidently gets drunk and she is brilliant.

Barney also plays a good drunk in a couple of episodes as well.

This is the greatest 30 minute television show in history in my opinion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I have a lot more respect for Frances Baviar (Aunt Bee). She is absolutley brilliant in this series.

She also plays a good drunk. There are a couple of episodes where she accidently gets drunk and she is brilliant.

That's because when she is playing just regularass sober Aunt Bee she already seems borderline drunk.

22 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

This needs a bump.....

TV Land shows TAGS every afternoon from 3 to 6.

I started watching all of those early series episodes again and they are so fucking good.

Brilliant writing. All of the guest stars are great and of course all of the regulars are as well.

Barney also plays a good drunk in a couple of episodes as well.

This is the greatest 30 minute television show in history in my opinion.

TAGS is a great show with many of the episodes having some sort of ending message.  Barney is a great character.  I also have kudos for the Beverly Hillbillies.  The writing is fantastic on how they subtly say things a bit edgy or racy without overtly saying it.  Some of the episodes could not be made today.

3 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I also have kudos for the Beverly Hillbillies.  The writing is fantastic on how they subtly say things a bit edgy or racy without overtly saying it. 

Green Acres says hold my Ziffel.

giphy.gif