Make no mistake - Todd Orlando Fucking Sucks

Fat Bastard

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

I don't know any defense that would be content to give up 8+ yards a carry.

If we have personnel issues, we need to get more bodies up front then. Make them throw the ball to win. Get Locke and Wheeler off the field and try to limit big plays in the passing game. 

How is it purely personnel?  I can't imagine how we never seem to have a DB or LB assigned to (for instance) the QB on that last play.  I'm not say we have to play old-school anti-wishbone defense, but it's OK to assign primary responsibility.

46 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

There's been a lot of criticism of the d-line. They weren't the problem today. The linebackers were terrible, as were the safeties. The d-line is supposed to eat up blocks and allow the line backers to make plays. But they are doubling the tackle and end to the play side and our linebackers and safeties consistently take themselves out of the play or miss tackles. Our scheme is designed to funnel plays to the weakest unit on the team. I'm sure Tech and ISU will build off of what OSU and WVU ran against us. I not at all sure that Orlando will have a response. 

Yeah...... When you 're funneling plays to LBs and Safeties and they constantly aren't in position to make plays.... YOU'RE GONNA SUCK

Edited by LTtxfan

Here is what I want to see on defense:

1. Four down linemen playing traditional 4 man front with O and Roach on the outside and Wilbon and Nelson playing DT.

2. Two fast linebackers with some pop - Johnson and either Overshon or Adeoye.

3. Five DB’a - Boyd and Davis/Cook at the corners, Stern and Thompson at safety, with Foster covering the slot.

This defense will be much better than the shit show we are throwing out there now.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How is it purely personnel?  I can't imagine how we never seem to have a DB or LB assigned to (for instance) the QB on that last play.  I'm not say we have to play old-school anti-wishbone defense, but it's OK to assign primary responsibility.

because they had 4 receivers to the other side, dend has to contain and he got sucked inside

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Even when they are clearly given assignments, they manage to blow them.  See OSU's 46 year old QB running around the end on the ZR repeatedly.  

We refuse to play any semblance of press coverage, we can't rush the QB out of 3 down line set, and our only LBers worth a shit gets by on athletic ability rather than being put in a scheme for success.  The rest may as well be fucking angel statues out of Dr. Who.  Except for the imminent death, they are constantly in the wrong place, moving in the wrong direction, or showcasing their fantastic inability to get off of even the slightest block.

27 minutes ago, Tx_2_Sc85 said:

Nah. The spread passing teams in this league would get mismatches with their inside LBs and they’d give up chunks of yards. Might be a lil tougher to move it on them in the red zone. But if you made those big guys run all game there would be plenty of plays to be made. Of course they’d probably change their defensive packages for that game and roll out in Orlan_o’s 3-2-6 and shut whoever down. 

Saban would have to make some adjustments, but they would stop the run, and he would personally coach the DBs to be fundamentally sound

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Here is what I want to see on defense:

1. Four down linemen playing traditional 4 man front with O and Roach on the outside and Wilbon and Nelson playing DT.

2. Two fast linebackers with some pop - Johnson and either Overshon or Adeoye.

3. Five DB’a - Boyd and Davis/Cook at the corners, Stern and Thompson at safety, with Foster covering the slot.

This defense will be much better than the shit show we are throwing out there now.

Outta rep today. I’d take my chances with this ^^^^ vs what we’ve rolled out the last two weeks. 

2 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Saban would have to make some adjustments, but they would stop the run, and he would personally coach the DBs to be fundamentally sound

Yes that’s the biggest difference is they could stop the run or at least hold them waaaaay less than 8 or 9 ypc (Hi To__!) without having to commit extra guys to the box.

Our defensive coordinator doesn't hide under a toupee. He faces his challenges instead of retreating to the sewers nude to forage for rings and coins. Or to the toilets. To a life filled with rats. He's the kind of man who gives me the courage to do an amazing double jack-knife twist, which I did. Most of you people wouldn't even attempt that, I did it. And to go down on Chrissy Orlando on a trampoline that very same night, which I also did. And I licked her asshole a little bit. It was pretty good. It was alright. It wasn't great.

• Like 1

One good indicator of bad coaching is when players regress.  Sterns was a badass when he was working mostly on instinct, now he's consistently out of position.  

Another good indicator is that PJ Locke is on the field.

Edited by DixonHur
GD autocorrect

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

we've given up over 1000 hards and what 80-90 points in the last 2 games?  both games were winnable and we lost because a slow QB walked into the endzone both times.  this 3 DL defense needs to end today.  it's not effective.  we don't have the DL or LBs for it.  we used the dime package last year and had success with it... not so much this year.  I tweak the scheme a bit this week if I'm Herman.  Tech will torch us if we don't.

CB:  Boyd  S:  Sterns  S:  Jones  CB:  Davis/Cook

Nickel:  Foster/Thompson  LB:  Shark  LB:  Johnson

DE:  Roach  DT:  Wilbon  DT:  Nelson  DE:  Omenihu

Take away the run on 1st and 2nd down 4 DL and then switch to your dime/lightening package on 3rd and long.  just seems stupid to run our 3-2-6 defense all game long.  

Yep.  I'm sick of this 3 DL cutsie bullshit that gets ripped apart for the last 8 quarters. Orlando lost a lot of credibility over the past 2 games.  That defense was hammered dog shit  

10 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

One good indicator of bad coaching is when players regress.

After nearly 45 years of watching college football, my standard for coaching performance is pretty simple.

Given a reasonable sample size, do they tend to lose games they should be winning?

For those hating on the 3-down look, you do realize this is the exact recipe Iowa State used to destroy the very same offense Texas faced today: 

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/10/19/17999866/how-iowa-state-obliterated-west-virginia-matt-campbell-dana-holgorsen-will-grier-pump-fake-purdy

Edited by TheYoungHorn
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TheYoungHorn said:

For those hating on the 3-down look, you do realize this is the exact recipe Iowa State used to destroy the very same offense we faced today: 

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/10/19/17999866/how-iowa-state-obliterated-west-virginia-matt-campbell-dana-holgorsen-will-grier-pump-fake-purdy

Yeah, but we run a shittier version where we don't tackle and we let WRs run completely uncovered through our secondary. It also inludes wheeler and Locke. So it is more of a 3-1-5

2 minutes ago, TheYoungHorn said:

That said, Iowa State doesn't seem to have the gaping hole at line backer that Texas has. 

But the recipe for giving that offense fits is in a well executed 3 man front, multiple quarters look. 

And that’s what you have to have when you do a three man front.   Your LBs better be so fast they could crap on lightening or you will be picking up your jocks , drive after drive. 

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

And that’s what you have to have when you do a three man front.   Your LBs better be so fast they could crap on lightening or you will be picking up your jocks , drive after drive. 

They don't have to be that fast. I can guarantee the Iowa State guys wouldn't meet your qualifications for speediness. 

Playing fast and being fast are two very different things. 

We have every right to be fucking mad about this.  This fucking guy is making $2mil a year to not do a fucking thing.  He’s actually getting worse.

He’s getting figured out and not adjusting. We could blame the loss of Malik, Holton, and Poona but he hasn’t made any adjustments to mask our deficiencies.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheYoungHorn said:

They don't have to be that fast. I can guarantee the Iowa State guys wouldn't meet your qualifications for speediness. 

Playing fast and being fast are two very different things. 

Good point.  But they look like geniuses compared to incompetence we’ve put on display the past two weeks.    

Well over 90% of the time, poor execution of a play is immediately diagnosed by fans as a bad play call.

Likewise, poor execution in general is diagnosed as poor coaching.

Todd Orlando hasn't changed.  The talent Texas is fielding on defense has changed significantly from last year.

Now, if there are some adjustments he could make that mitigate the issues, and he's refusing to make them, then that warrants criticism.

But it's quite possible he's doing the best he can with what he has to work with.

But regardless, he didn't go from "best DC in college football" to "fucking sucks" in a matter of months.

I'm no expert, however.  I'm just bored and felt like typing.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TheYoungHorn said:

That said, Iowa State doesn't seem to have the gaping hole at line backer that Texas has. 

But the recipe for giving that offense fits is in a well executed 3 man front, multiple quarters look. 

we don't really have a good 3 man front and we only have one LB.  ISU must be pretty salty on D.

To me the only question on coaching is to ask if the best players are on the field. If they are then the issue is talent.

We have no depth or playmakers at DL. We can't run a 4 man front as we dont have enough bodies. We apparently have no LBs who can pass cover, so we have hole there. We have 2 corners who are serviceable but their cover backups are 2 safeties who can't cover.

I just dont see the right talent. We have a bunch of athletes who dont fit our needs

7 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Well over 90% of the time, poor execution of a play is immediately diagnosed by fans as a bad play call.

Likewise, poor execution in general is diagnosed as poor coaching.

Todd Orlando hasn't changed.  The talent Texas is fielding on defense has changed significantly from last year.

Now, if there are some adjustments he could make that mitigate the issues, and he's refusing to make them, then that warrants criticism.

But it's quite possible he's doing the best he can with what he has to work with.

But regardless, he didn't go from "best DC in college football" to "fucking sucks" in a matter of months.

I'm no expert, however.  I'm just bored and felt like typing.

This might be true had the defense, that has had the same players, continued to get gashed by the same plays over and over again.  

Our talent has improved on the defensive side of the ball, Orlando has not.  West Virginia isn’t spinning some weird witchcraft.  It’s the same fucking team year after year.  

Orlando isn’t game planning.  Bottom fucking line.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

To me the only question on coaching is to ask if the best players are on the field. If they are then the issue is talent.

We have no depth or playmakers at DL. We can't run a 4 man front as we dont have enough bodies. We apparently have no LBs who can pass cover, so we have hole there. We have 2 corners who are serviceable but their cover backups are 2 safeties who can't cover.

I just dont see the right talent. We have a bunch of athletes who dont fit our needs

It’s not that we can’t run a 4 man front, it’s that we won’t.  Big fucking difference.

Here's what annoys the fuck out of me. #49 Taquon Graham rushes against the left tackle and establishes the edge. He sees Grier start to run and he peeks inside and tries to shoot the gap between the tackle and guard. Meanwhile, McCulloch (not in the frame, started lined up on the goalline under the first N in Longhorn) ALSO SHOOTS THE SAME FUCKING GAP LEAVING THE OUTSIDE WIDE OPEN. These players, most of whom have been playing in this system for a couple of years, have no concept of assignment football.  

imgur

Edited by ATLLonghorn

5 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

This might be true had the defense, that has had the same players, continued to get gashed by the same plays over and over again.  

Our talent has improved on the defensive side of the ball, Orlando has not.  West Virginia isn’t spinning some weird witchcraft.  It’s the same fucking team year after year.  

Orlando isn’t game planning.  Bottom fucking line.

Do you mean from last year to this year?  Or from the beginning of this season until now?

If it's the former I couldn't disagree more, and if it's the latter I don't know what you're basing that on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Personnel shortcomings exist, sure. But we are doing nothing to mitigate them. We are presenting a 5 man box with adequate DL talent at best and Anthony Wheeler at a linebacker spot. And then we don't even use the alignment to take the short passing game away because we line up at least two DBs in man coverage 8 yards off the receiver and have them backpedal at the snap on 90% of our defensive plays. And we have PJ Locke at a critical position in the defense.

Our defensive design basically gives up 5 yard per play for free unless the offense busts an assignment or our DL actually penetrates which happens once in a blue moon. That is all on Orlando.

We did adjust... we definitely shifted to nickel at some point. The problem is, WVU easily countered by motioning the slot receiver and forcing Wheeler to cover him. Wheeler is a total liability at both stopping the run and coverage, and he's at too important position to hide.