Bring little league coaches get little league results

Firemans4Horn

Just now, Augustus said:

It can be tough for young head coaches to assemble big-name staffs.  They just haven't been at it long enough to build the relationships.

We don't need a big name staff. We need coaches that recognize when something isn't working and adjust. Orlando is stubbornly sticking with a 3-2-6 that is being easily exploited. He's been badly out coached two weeks in a row. If Orlando won't adjust, Herman needs to step in and make him adjust. That's his job.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Same exact shit we had with Charlie. What the fuck are we doing where we let these new hires bring their shitty ass assistants/WR’s coaches and then surprise surprise they suck? The “we’re Texas, we can get whoever we want” died when Muschamp left. A bunch a fucking highly paid spares since then. 

I’d love to be 18 and ignorant again. Study hard, little one. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Newdoc said:

But what will the defense look like? I see a good upside on offense but no clue what the D will bring next year? We need some dominant lineman if we are going to rush three and I’d like to hear linebackers names called more than twice a game.

We'll be very young. But it'll be interesting to see if someone takes that next step. Someone like Graham or Roach need to for sure.  Roach needs to be moved back down to the DL. Linebackers...we'll get too see what Dele, Overshown, Floyd etc can do. No idea on the secondary..

3 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

Wtf do you want conference or national championship in year two or fire this guy and into the next? The team is making steady progress. Went from a shitshow when Charlie left to a top 25 team. I feel better about the state of the program than I have for a long time.

Bob Stoops did. Urban Myer did twice. Saban did twice. Hell, Franklin had Penn State in the playoff hunt after a pedo scandal.

How overrated do you think our recruiting classes are?

3 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Bob Stoops did. Urban Myer did twice. Saban did twice. Hell, Franklin had Penn State in the playoff hunt after a pedo scandal.

How overrated do you think our recruiting classes are?

I think Texas high school football is overrated and that's part of the problem, but that's a different story.

4 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

The “we’re Texas, we can get whoever we want” died when Muschamp left. 

From what I remember reading on Kevin's board back when Strong and Herman were hired, Strong and  Herman were both "who we wanted" at the time.

3 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

We don't need a big name staff. We need coaches that recognize when something isn't working and adjust. Orlando is stubbornly sticking with a 3-2-6 that is being easily exploited. He's been badly out coached two weeks in a row. If Orlando won't adjust, Herman needs to step in and make him adjust. That's his job.

I understand that, but he was complaining about Strong and Herman bringing the staffs from their previous gigs, and I'm simply pointing out that a young head coach isn't likely to be able to poach more established talent, which is what he wanted them to do.

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

Your offense will likely be really good next year.

The defense is losing a lot of guys, and needs a big infusion of talent on the line.

Texas will probably  be in a lot of shootouts next year, as well.

Ah, yes, the “I know what next year will be like in sports but I’m still poor” guy.

2 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Ah, yes, the “I know what next year will be like in sports but I’m still poor” guy.

Not sure if you've noticed this, but message board fans tend to, among other things, predict what they think will happen in upcoming games/seasons.

And unfortunately, my predictions were a little too generalized to make any real money off of.

But allow me to impress you:  Before this season started, I predicted Texas would be improved on offense, and would take a step back on defense.  

16 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

You took that much too seriously.

It was just a joking way to point out that you have no fucking clue what will happen next season, so posting like you do is stupid.

HTH

Now I'm confused whether to take this post seriously or not.

Of course nobody knows what's gonna happen next year, but that doesn't mean we just totally abandon inductive reasoning.  

And like I said, if you think predicting stuff is stupid, cfb message boards aren't really for you.

20 minutes ago, Xian said:

Per math. Yes. 

Lol 

Pathetic. I think you're confusing the terms "winning team" and "winning record". Hell I don't even like the term winning record. It's just sad

aggy has a 5-4 record. You're trying to tell me they deserve to be called a winning team? Nah. Just nah 

10 hours ago, Texas25 said:

I'm wondering how the hell Sterns got beat on a deep ball over the middle with 16 seconds left in a cover 3, fuck winning the Big 12. Ain't no wolf, kid is a sheep, and a slow one

Sterns is the most overrated player in college  football. 

11 hours ago, Augustus said:

It can be tough for young head coaches to assemble big-name staffs.  They just haven't been at it long enough to build the relationships.

You build those mostly with money. We got money. The problem, however, may be Herman's misguided loyalty complex. I'm not sure he'll have the insight/balls/ruthlessness to cut out the cancer.

Or it's reality? Ehlinger is a Heisman contender next year and the team will be much more polished. But whatever.

Eh. The LBs are gone, they suck anyway, but there’s a reason nobody has taken their spot. Relying on freshman there isn’t ideal. Boyce is not good. Cook isnt bad. I have faith in sterns/foster since they are freshman but they have regressed but again probably because they are freshman. Texas loses Nelson and Charles. Defense will be full of youth.

Offense will be good but they lose 3 o line starters. LJH is probably gone. Maybe Johnson shines even more or not because he’s double teamed. I think duve will finally have a breakout year though. We will miss Tre Watson next year.

Or maybe we can figure out the whole OU thing next year. just score on every drive.

We arent going to be where we want to be until we improve our fronts.  

Until we start bringing in or growing monsters we are going to be in a lot of shootouts and not many blowouts.  

Wanna track how healthy we are as a program track DL recruitment.  Until we get difference makers** there it's gonna be a struggle most games.  

Real difference makers not ones who look like Thor and play like Daylon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

We arent going to be where we want to be until we improve our fronts.  

Until we start bringing in or growing monsters we are going to be in a lot of shootouts and not many blowouts.  

Wanna track how healthy we are as a program track DL recruitment.  Until we get difference makers** there it's gonna be a struggle most games.  

Real difference makers not ones who look like Thor and play like Daylon

this, it always starts up front and it will always start up front. 

15 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

+1000

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:18 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

We are not back as a program until we are consistently redshirting blue-chips, especially at OL and the secondary.

It's taken five years, but we are finally able to start redshirting QBs again. That's a start, but we have a long way to go.

What top program is consistently redshirting blue chips?  Maybe OL, but I am curious of the #s there because I don't think that is much of a thing anymore.  For sure not starting true freshman OL, but no great program is redshirting blue chip CBs or any other skill position.  5th year SRs seem few and far between.  Who are the 5th year seniors on the teams that are competing for a playoff spot?

The only real reason to redshirt a player - particularly a 5-star player - is physical or mental lack. If he needs a year to get to growed-up man size and strength and/or understanding of scheme and technique, then go ahead and give him the shirt; otherwise plug his ass in and let him start getting the game-time experience. If he's all that multi-starred, he's gonna leave early anyway... what the hell, some are gonna be gamers instead of practice warriors and you aren't gonna find out for sure unless they're in the games.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

The only real reason to redshirt a player - particularly a 5-star player - is physical or mental lack. If he needs a year to get to growed-up man size and strength and/or understanding of scheme and technique, then go ahead and give him the shirt; otherwise plug his ass in and let him start getting the game-time experience. If he's all that multi-starred, he's gonna leave early anyway... what the hell, some are gonna be gamers instead of practice warriors and you aren't gonna find out for sure unless they're in the games.

I agree.  I think a lot think of the redshirt as something more than it is.  It's a year off to focus solely on getting bigger/stronger without a lot of mental strain of being ready to play each week.  That's great and there is nothing wrong with that, but that year isn't a make or break situation.  They aren't growing wise beyond their years because of it, and now with the new RS rules we are throwing in a lot more of the mental aspect of being game ready because they can play in 4 games.  But the consensus is the new rules are better because most realize that game experience is more important.

RS seniors leaving and handing over positions to RS juniors isn't a thing anymore, and really only would takes place at programs where the players don't really have other options.  7 on 7 has taken over to the point that nobody is redshirting skill guys, and DL rotation has a lot of depth requirements so they are often playing.  OL is really the only position it still makes sense for, but I would guess in the top programs it's not really a big deal.