Random Tires doing random tire things

mulletpelini

4 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

yeah, i don't think that swerving into the oncoming traffic would have been a better move, seeing that the dark car behind that white van was in that area at the time of the hit.

You mean the one that was 2 lanes over? Wateva 

Edited by AM Wood

No, the one that had it's right tires over the shoulder line, more than half of the vehicle in the adjacent lane. The white van was just off the center line. Still way to close for a swerve into oncoming traffic. 

You can say what the driver should have done, and it's easy to look at that video a few times and think, I could have avoided that. In that split second of decision, you have to take the path that leads to less damage. 

Have you ever had an experience with a tire rolling on the highway? I have, and it happens too damn fast to think of all the variables. You have to go with what's the least destructive/safest to do. If I remember my driver's ed from high school, (way back when they did teach it in high school) you NEVER swerve into oncoming traffic, ALWAYS swerve right. Granted there are exceptions to that rule, but I don't see a cliff or a bunch of children on the right shoulder.

• Haha 1

I don't know why this one really has me particularly lol'ing.
20030317.gif
I know someone that this happened to - on the driver's rear tire. He had an El Camino that he took to Wal-Mart in Round Rock (when RR only had one WM back then) to get rear brakes done. Was driving back to Georgetown on 35 when he saw a tire go past him on the left, just before the back corner of the car dropped to the pavement. He got a decent settlement from WM over the damages.

6 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

Have you ever had an experience with a tire rolling on the highway? I have, and it happens too damn fast to think of all the variables. You have to go with what's the least destructive/safest to do. 

Not a tire. A metal bracket came off a truck in heavy traffic. My reaction was to duck and remain in my lane. Hit within the strike zone. A little higher and it would have come through the windshield. Amazingly the whole left headlight assembly was taken out. Just the wire connectors and a plastic shard of the housing remained. No other damage. Sounded like a shotgun blast. It happens too fast. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

No, the one that had it's right tires over the shoulder line, more than half of the vehicle in the adjacent lane. The white van was just off the center line. Still way to close for a swerve into oncoming traffic. 

You can say what the driver should have done, and it's easy to look at that video a few times and think, I could have avoided that. In that split second of decision, you have to take the path that leads to less damage. 

Have you ever had an experience with a tire rolling on the highway? I have, and it happens too damn fast to think of all the variables. You have to go with what's the least destructive/safest to do. If I remember my driver's ed from high school, (way back when they did teach it in high school) you NEVER swerve into oncoming traffic, ALWAYS swerve right. Granted there are exceptions to that rule, but I don't see a cliff or a bunch of children on the right shoulder.

I don’t care.

• 2 months later...

After viewing the tires exploding in this thread, it might be time to retire the tire.

Lets make all tires plastic like on Big Wheels.  That'll work...or at the very least I'll be able to do donuts in any season.

Edited by ulukinatme

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

beat me to it, just saw this one and of course came here. Tire hit him just perfectly on top of the head. what is that sliding down the road afterwards? his helmet? his head? can't figure it out (embedded it)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Seems like a flaw in the barrier if a stray tire can climb it.  I always wondered if I saw something like that if I could maneuver so as to knock the tire over without fucking up my truck, but I can't see any way to do it safely.

On 4/1/2018 at 9:50 PM, Parliament said:

Some types are worse than others, but any tire that doesn't have the bead set right can do it.

Split-rim truck tires are especially bad:

Split-rims-silver.jpg

If that "ring" isn't locked in, you're dead.  Quite literally.

Almost all truck tires are tubeless nowdays.  I'd imagine nearly 100% of road trucks are tubeless. Maybe there are still a few split rims on old farm trucks...maybe. 

One of my recently licensed drivers was in the car with me as we were driving back on 290W back from IAH not too long ago. Big roll of hog wire flew off a trailer and came bouncing down the road towards us. Fortunately, the car in front of us was a sedan so I could see over it. What the other person said about reaction time, yeah, you barely have time to pick a path much less look alongside you for other cars. At least since 290 has a barrier, oncoming traffic wasn't an issue.

Several years ago our family also witnessed a driver fall out of a truck on I-35 while we were traveling through Dallas. That started off our trip with more than a "boop."

Sorry, though, this was about tires. Fortunately, we have not seen those unless they were attached.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...