Horns Down

Helobious

The Horns Down  

423 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be a penalty?

• Stop being an easily offended snowflake, it shouldn't be a penalty when an opposing player does it
    • Fuck you, it's textbook taunting & worthy of an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I do have a problem with WVU’s obsession with it. I mean, their coach asked about it before the game. Multiple players threw it during the game, resulting in two penalties, then they showed what complete fucksticks they are by using it as a play signal the next week. That’s low class. Really says a lot about Dana Holgorsen. 

I actually agree with this too. Having the fans do it en masse in a crowd shot is one thing. Team obsession with it like WVU is classless, and I did not know they used it the following week. But as you pointed out...Holgorsen.

We didn't do this, you sister fucking idiot. You're talking shit to a bunch of people who got forced to take the term 'Bevo' out of our site name. All I read is "Texas is a bunch of pu**y's" (sic) and "Texas runs this conference" "Texas is full of snowflakes" and other assorted pissing and moaning. Go punch a woman in the face or stick a screwdriver in some female's neck, and miss us with your whining about being treated unfairly, you fucking Nebraska- they're-being-mean-to-us wannabes.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

This shit has gotten so ridiculous. It shouldn't be a penalty. Especially in a game v OU. JFC. 

it doesn't matter if it should be, it is. and since it is, i want the 15 yards. if we are going to get called for taunting if we taunt, i want the same.

7 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I think doing anything in the opponent’s end to taunt their fans is trashy. It made Will Grier and his buttbuddies look like complete imbeciles. I’d say the same thing if it were one of our players.

If your douchebags want to go throw the horns down in your end zone with your white trash fans, more power to them. 

Douche move?  Maybe.  But a flag if you do it to fans seems a bit much.  Seems more safe space bullshit.  Adds to the hate.  Bring it.  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Douche move?  Maybe.  But a flag if you do it to fans seems a bit much.  Seems more safe space bullshit.  Adds to the hate.  Bring it.  

Taunting isn’t a new rule, and we’ve been the victims of extremely tight enforcement before. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

The thought that our players throwing the hook em to our fans in our stadium can be penalized but thousands of horns down thrown at our player and fans isn’t is completely absurd. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Tex Pete said:

Taunting isn’t a new rule, and we’ve been the victims of extremely tight enforcement before. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

The thought that our players throwing the hook em to our fans in our stadium can be penalized but thousands of horns down thrown at our player and fans isn’t is completely absurd. 

Oh I think it’s beyond the pale if you guys get penalized for throwing horns up to your fans.  Is that a thing?  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh I think it’s beyond the pale if you guys get penalized for throwing horns up to your fans.  Is that a thing?  

Roy Williams got penalized for it. Years ago, sure, but it happened. It wasn’t directed at anyone but our fans. 

And Aaron Williams (IIRC) got penalized for throwing up an “X” after making a TFL against Nebraska in 2010. It also was not directed towards anyone. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes, Roy Williams was flagged at a home game for doing it to our own fans. We were also flagged for doing guns down against Tech, I believe it was Mike Davis in 2012. So we had received 15 yard penalties for doing our hand sign to our own fans and doing the opponent's hand sign upside down years before other teams finally started getting flagged for doing ours upside down.

Like many have said, I don't give a shit if it's a penalty but it sure as hell better be called the same both ways. I mean it's technically taunting according to the rules so I think it should be called based on that but I don't mind if the rules change.

Edited by Huckleberry

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Like many have said, I don't give a shit if it's a penalty but it sure as hell better be called the same both ways. I mean it's technically taunting according to the rules so I think it should be called based on that but I don't mind if the rules change.

This is the key. The issue is inconsistency in calling it in the past. By rule, it’s a penalty. It should have always been called. Whether it’s a good rule or not is a separate matter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TexMexBuddha said:

I actually agree with this too. Having the fans do it en masse in a crowd shot is one thing. Team obsession with it like WVU is classless, and I did not know they used it the following week. But as you pointed out...Holgorsen.

It's funny, they were doing horns down in the crowd while they were getting whipped by blowU. Livin' rent free in all these fuckers heads.

It's actually pretty cute how obsessed with Texas they are, asking the shit12 officials about an endzone celebration, rather than just assuming not to fucking do it. I hope they've spent more time and focus on what to do in the endzone than how to get there, because methinks it's going to be a turnoverfest if blowU offense gets rattled and desperate. 

46 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Roy Williams got penalized for it. Years ago, sure, but it happened. It wasn’t directed at anyone but our fans. 

And Aaron Williams (IIRC) got penalized for throwing up an “X” after making a TFL against Nebraska in 2010. It also was not directed towards anyone. 

44 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, Roy Williams was flagged at a home game for doing it to our own fans. We were also flagged for doing guns down against Tech, I believe it was Mike Davis in 2012. So we had received 15 yard penalties for doing our hand sign to our own fans and doing the opponent's hand sign upside down years before other teams finally started getting flagged for doing ours upside down.

Yeah.  Burn it all down.  That’s even worse than the Hager fine.  

1 minute ago, babysdaddy said:

Given the hate is appreciated and embarrassing the big 12 is embraced by both fan bases.  Could Herman just decline the penalties each time?  That would make the refs look like total asswipes, which I support.

That would be pretty funny.  If you guys go up big and an OU player pulls a Jolly after the game is decided it’s the perfect move.  

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

Given the hate is appreciated and embarrassing the big 12 is embraced by both fan bases.  Could Herman just decline the penalties each time?  That would make the refs look like total asswipes, which I support.

He could, but I’d say 15 free yards is more important than showing up the conference.

My assumption is that Herman saw a potential edge for his team if he could get the officiating crew to start throwing flags for that.  

45 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

He could, but I’d say 15 free yards is more important than showing up the conference.

yeah it's a bit of a prisoners dilemma. Say you get the taunting foul and they decline it like agreed, then they get a taunting foul, what's to stop you from accepting that at a key moment? Coaches honor and a gentleman's handshake? Do you think Riley trusts Herman enough for that and vice versa?

37 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Tha fuck is going on here?

yea we need more explanation than twitter can provide. Is it only a foul if done to our players/team? Is it a foul if done towards the fans? Is it allowed from the sidelines and just not from a player on the field celebrating?

4 minutes ago, Zavala said:

WORST CONFERENCE

Making the whole game about OHHHH is chokelahoma going to taunt Texas after they score??? OHhhehh??

Trash

It's odd to me that so much is being made of it this week. I hope it's what Lincoln Riley and the toothless wonders are expending their energy on this week. I haven't heard a peep about it from Tom.

I thought the OU players were fairly well-behaved during the game in October. A couple of d-bags came to the Texas endzone and taunted our fans when the sooners came onto the field, but that was all I saw.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I thought the OU players were fairly well-behaved during the game in October. A couple of d-bags came to the Texas endzone and taunted our fans when the sooners came onto the field, but that was all I saw.

getting your ass kicked for most of the game will do that to you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It's odd to me that so much is being made of it this week. I hope it's what Lincoln Riley and the toothless wonders are expending their energy on this week. I haven't heard a peep about it from Tom.

That and the nut grab.

I would laugh so hard if Tom was asked about it and just acted oblivious and autistic as fuck

If horns down is a penalty, then so should be the belly rub, the feed me, the throat slash, stupid dances, sarcastic gator chomps, all that stupid horse shit.

Godamn, just get the fuck up, give the ball back to the refs, help up your teammates, and get your ass back in the huddle/line up/side lines, and play the game. You want to look like a Kansas City Faggot, go play soccer or some shit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I know I am old-school, but this crap has gotten out of hand, on both sides. There are very, very few hand symbols that existed way before the hood-rat era... Hook-em and our Fight On “V”. Beyond that escapes me at the moment.

/geezer-mode

In my day, if you openly disrespected your opponent or fans by taunting, you were going to get your ass kicked, plain and simple. I’ve seen and been involved in a few of those. Fast-forward to “da U” and every school has to throw up some ghetto-ass gang sign. There’s even a Cal State school (San Bernardino I believe) that uses Hook-em.

/geezer-mode

If there is going to be a taunting penalty for acknowledging your fans, then it has to be called the other way as well. We had the running back for neuter lame throw the Fight On upside-down to our fans and no flag...of course our players were a bunch of pussies to police it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

/internet tough guy mode

If there is going to be a taunting penalty for acknowledging your fans, then it has to be called the other way as well. We had the running back for neuter lame throw the Fight On upside-down to our fans and no flag...of course our players were a bunch of pussies to police it.

/internet tough guy mode

FTFY.

Edited by and
  • Fuck You 4

I know I am old-school, but this crap has gotten out of hand, on both sides. There are very, very few hand symbols that existed way before the hood-rat era... Hook-em and our Fight On “V”. Beyond that escapes me at the moment.
/geezer-mode
In my day, if you openly disrespected your opponent or fans by taunting, you were going to get your ass kicked, plain and simple. I’ve seen and been involved in a few of those. Fast-forward to “da U” and every school has to throw up some ghetto-ass gang sign. There’s even a Cal State school (San Bernardino I believe) that uses Hook-em.
/geezer-mode

Hood-rat era? Ghetto-ass gang signs? Take a lap, old man.

so ljh and a couple players/coaches say publicly that they think horns down is disrespectful, which it is, on purpose (duh) - that's why rivals (and wva) do it.  that's the whole point.

holgo and riley get in touch with league office, and are instructed about penalties.

why are people acting like we're crybabies and responsible for this?  and when i say "we're" i mean our players/coaches. (i know we have butthurt fans).  as far as i know, we didn't petition the league office.  when someone does something disrespectful, we're no longer allowed to mention it in articles or tweets?  we're not allowed to use it as locker room material?

i love that our rivals (and wva) do it.  i love it even more when they do it in a game we're not involved in (which definitely happens in ou and a&m games).  99% of teams don't have a universally recognized hand signal, and i feel lucky that my team does.  my dad taught it to me when i was little, and told me when to do it and not do it during my first game when i was like 7 (fight song, big 3rd downs, injuries, etc).  i taught my wife how it works, when to keep the hand still and when to move it forward.  i have done the same with my nephews.

as with pretty much all taunting, if they get up in our players' shit and do it, they should be penalized.  if they do it to the stands (which will be split even moreso than the rrr) than who gives a shit?

i don't care that this has become a story.  but i don't see how everyone is blaming us.  am i missing something?  other than a couple tweets from our guys (or really just tweets quoting our guys), i barely see us complaining, and i seriously doubt ljh has that kind of juice with the b12 office to institute a rule change.

i blame the big12.  i think the opposing coaches are part of it.  and i feel bad for that kid in the hospital, that was weird.  otherwise, go horns.

• Like 4