Jambalaya

Gen. Applewhite

Nice.  I'd eat the shit out of that.

The one we've been doing recently is a modified version of John Besh's creole seafood jambalaya recipe.  We double the andouille (Best Stop) and half the regular pork sausage it calls for, then change up a few of the spices.  And yes, my post is worthless without pics.

17 hours ago, mycox said:

Well shit. I don't bother with the stock for jambalaya. You just took this to 11.

Well, I was picking a chicken and peeling shrimp, so a stock was getting made no matter what. Probably should have thrown a smoked hock in there as well, but you gotta leave room for improvement I guess.

• 1 year later...

Making for the first time in a long time and I’ve lost the recipe I used to use. I know that I’m using tomato, as I grew up with creole jambalaya and I think it has a better presentation anyway. Anyone have some tips? I have my baseline recipe (basically John Besh’s but I’m open to any and all suggestions/tweaks/recipes that work well. 

11 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Making for the first time in a long time and I’ve lost the recipe I used to use. I know that I’m using tomato, as I grew up with creole jambalaya and I think it has a better presentation anyway. Anyone have some tips? I have my baseline recipe (basically John Besh’s but I’m open to any and all suggestions/tweaks/recipes that work well. 

The single most important step is the handmade stock. Chicken or pork. If you have a pressure cooker it's a snap.  Make sure you use bones that have a lot of collagen; turkey necks, pig's feet, chicken backs etc. Also, good medium grain rice from Crowley or Rayne will up your game considerably. Douse a little Cajun Power worcestershire in the stock while it's on it's initial boil. Good luck, please report back.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Jim Thompson said:

The single most important step is the handmade stock. Chicken or pork. If you have a pressure cooker it's a snap.  

Agreed.  I use chicken feet (get 'em from an Asian market) along with whatever bones and scraps that I've accumulated and kept in the freezer.  Add some onions, garlic and bay leaves into the pressure cooker along with some water and you're good to go.  Pro tip:  Don't add any salt when you are making stock.  Depending upon how much it gets reduced -- you could end up with something inedible.

• Like 1

the most important thing with jambalaya is getting the exact ratio of ingredients...most especially rice to stock...to get the rice to pop.

the food/drink board at tigerdroppings has a jambalaya calculator in the recipe section stickied at the very top of the board that’s in excel and will download to Dropbox with tabs across the top for ingredients and ratios. it’s excellent and worth the time to digest, if you’ll pardon the pun.

I use what is basically Donald Link’s recipe from his book Real Cajun. The trick I picked up from him was in cooking down the onions. In his recipe you sauté them in butter and oil until dry and then add a bit of stock and cook until dry, and repeat a couple more times, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the Dutch oven each time. Adds a lot of depth to the finished product. 

• 1 month later...