"icing" the kicker

ButtFumble

2 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Totally agree. That was the only real time I didn't understand the coaching decision. I also want to know what the fuck the D-Lineman were doing on the Grier's final touchdown strike. Two of them were standing up at the snap, after already switching sides and getting in formation. If they were that confused, they should have called a timeout and lined up correctly.

The icing doesn't bother me. Every coach does it. Statistics be damned.

We also got royally screwed on Sam's helmet getting ripped off. That cost us points.

The icing, or not icing, should have been irrelevant.

WV had substituted and we were slow playing our substitution with the clock running.   Didn't see the number, but our DL guy was slow jogging off the field, everyone was watching him go.  Ref was standing over the ball waiting for him to exit the field while the clock was running down.  WV was all tantrum over the clock running with ref standing over the ball.

it looked like an intentional way to keep clock running by our staff, started to look like they might have to burn a time out.  It looked like our staff was more focused on making sure our guy was leaving the field slow enough to keep burning clock but fast enough to keep it running.  Once the ref set the ball WV went fast and we weren't set.  The whole thing seemed really clear to me in real time and I thought they might call a TO or that we were fucked.  

On another note, when we scored our last TD with the time remaining, I told Mrs Fidy that we need to go for 2 though there's no way we will.  I had no confidence in the defense holding and felt the would go for the win.  

again one play never makes a game, but that 3 points after the failed "ice" to end the first half by Denver sure helped the Texans win today and in the National Field Goal League that extra 3 points is probably much more critical than in most college games

you would think with all the money these corches make they would figure out icing the kicker is stupid as shit even more so when the kicker gets the practice kick like the Texans did today and WVU did yesterday

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Just because I’m old and get confused doesn’t mean I don’t watch and It doesn’t mean that icing the kicker isn’t useless and stupid. We could also have used that timeout he used on the two point conversion since it obviously didn’t help to change up our defense. 

How do you get confused on when the icing the kicker was? It only happens at the end of halves and they told the defense to watch the qb run during the last timeout but we fucked it up anyway.  Oh and I'm old too.

11 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Icing the kicker is asinine. Who started that shit anyway?

Back in the day, coaches would "ice" the kicker by calling a timeout before a game-tying or game-winning kick to "make them think about it some more."  Then, in the early 2000s IIRC, there was some NFL game where a team called timeout right before a kick, the "practice" kick went in, and then the "real" kick missed.

This led to the standard practice of the timeout right before the snap, which is completely idiotic and counterproductive, but coaches do it anyway, because coaches by and large are fucking superstitious idiots clueless about what actually wins football games.

5 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Back in the day, coaches would "ice" the kicker by calling a timeout before a game-tying or game-winning kick to "make them think about it some more."  Then, in the early 2000s IIRC, there was some NFL game where a team called timeout right before a kick, the "practice" kick went in, and then the "real" kick missed.

This led to the standard practice of the timeout right before the snap, which is completely idiotic and counterproductive, but coaches do it anyway, because coaches by and large are fucking superstitious idiots clueless about what actually wins football games.

I was always curious if the coach had to actually be ready and signal the timeout right before the snap, or if he simply told the refs that he wants a timeout right before the snap.

16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I am 100% sure that icing the kicker is the exact opposite of what any coach should be doing. The statistics prove it, common sense proves it, and human nature proves it.

When a kicker is sitting on the sideline stewing about having to make a kick, and then has to run out and go quickly, by definition that is the most pressure filled moment that causes errors. A time out gives them time to regroup and focus, or even take a practice kick if the timeout is called late enough. I DEMAND WE STOP DOING THIS.

So, you strenuously object?