Babysitting rates

jimmyjazz

My daughter (16, no pics you freaks) has been asked to babysit for a couple of nearby families, one to two nights a week.  Any thoughts on current rates that sitters charge?  The kids all seem to be in the 6 to 10 age range.

I haven't hired a sitter in over a decade.  I recall paying $9-$10 per hour back then.  I'm hearing numbers more like $15 which seems high, but if they'll pay it, then fine.

$12-15 is about what we pay depending on a few things.

How many kids?

Do they have to change diapers?

Do they have to cook or are you buying food (pizza or door dash)?

How long are they actually watching your kid, versus how long are they simply just hanging out at the house while the kid is asleep?

Do you know when you’ll be home?  If not and say you’re going to a Texas game that could go into overtime that expectation needs to be set ahead of time.

https://www.sittercity.com/parents/find-child-care/how-much-should-you-pay-your-sitter-or-nanny

$13 to $15 is about right in Austin. With that said, we don’t let our daughter charge that much because we want to encourage couples to go out on dates so they focus on their marriage. She agrees with that. She charges $10 for the first 2 hours and $13 per for each additional hour. With that said she only babysits for our friends and some neighbors. Some of it also depends on the family as well. For example, we have some friends who live paycheck to paycheck and she charged them $7 per hour.

• Like 3

$15/hr, but our "babysitter" is really almost a family member.  She's been babysitting/nannying since Chad Jr. was about three months old.  She also cleans up around the house (we didn't ask her to, she just does) as she really only ever has to fix Chad Jr. dinner and play a little bit before he's off to bed (2 hrs tops) and she's just hanging out for a couple hours to make sure the house doesn't burn down while awaiting the return of the Mrs. Chad and myself.  

21 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

$15/hr, but our "babysitter" is really almost a family member.  She's been babysitting/nannying since Chad Jr. was about three months old.  She also cleans up around the house (we didn't ask her to, she just does) as she really only ever has to fix Chad Jr. dinner and play a little bit before he's off to bed (2 hrs tops) and she's just hanging out for a couple hours to make sure the house doesn't burn down while awaiting the return of the Mrs. Chad Fuck and myself.  

FIFY - has a better ring to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

$15/hr, but our "babysitter" is really almost a family member.  She's been babysitting/nannying since Chad Jr. was about three months old.  She also cleans up around the house (we didn't ask her to, she just does) as she really only ever has to fix Chad Jr. dinner and play a little bit before he's off to bed (2 hrs tops) and she's just hanging out for a couple hours to make sure the house doesn't burn down while awaiting the return of the Mrs. Chad and myself.  

I would love to be a fly on the wall when Chad Fuck Jr.'s teachers get introduced.  Well done.

My wife teaches and will keep kids she likes every so often.  It’s normally for multiple days when she does it, and it’s $15/hr for daylight hours outside of school plus $150/night if she’s staying there.  She’ll do it a few times a year to fund her shoe/travel habit.  She teaches in a rich ISD.

My wife teaches and will keep kids she likes every so often.  It’s normally for multiple days when she does it, and it’s $15/hr for daylight hours outside of school plus $150/night if she’s staying there.  She’ll do it a few times a year to fund her shoe/travel habit.  She teaches in a rich ISD.

Lol. She’s getting paid to fuck someone.

We pay $15/hour officially and round up generously. Our only current babysitter is a grown woman with a real job and I assume real social engagements of her own, not some high school kid.

Are some of y'all really that precise with the rate and timing? "Well, we were gone for 2 hours and 47 minutes, so here's $41.75. Say, you got change for a five?". FOH with that nonsense. It's three hours. Hand the sitter 50 bucks and push her out the door so you can commence to fucking the missus, which is the real reason why you went out to dinner in the first place.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tokamak said:

We pay $15/hour officially and round up generously. Our only current babysitter is a grown woman with a real job and I assume real social engagements of her own, not some high school kid.

Are some of y'all really that precise with the rate and timing? "Well, we were gone for 2 hours and 47 minutes, so here's $41.75. Say, you got change for a five?". FOH with that nonsense. It's three hours. Hand the sitter 50 bucks and push her out the door so you can commence to fucking the missus, which is the real reason why you went out to dinner in the first place.

I make them fill out a W-9 before I pay.

This. I want the babysitter to want to watch my kid. Not resent that I’m nickel and diming then.