HORNS 2019 JUCO & Grad Transfer Recruiting

LTtxfan

Sorry for asking.... (I'm sure it's somewhere on the 508 page 2019 Recruiting thread)

What is the expected plan to recruit JUCO and Grad Transfers for 2019 Longhorns?? 

Thoughts.....

(My guess maybe TEXAS tries to bring in OL/DL help, LB and maybe even another experienced RB & DB if available??)

Candidates:

Caleb Johnson LB    Fullerton College

Myron Cunningham OT  Iowa Central CC

Bamidele Olaseni. OT  Garden City CC

Edited by LTtxfan

Damn...... saw this BlowU Sept Juco commit

Oklahoma has chosen the junior college route to pick up its latest defensive recruit.

Jacoby Jones, a defensive lineman/outside linebacker from Butler (Kan.) Community College, announced his commitment to Oklahoma 

Edited by LTtxfan

Probably not on Longhorns list, but Louisville just lost Top Juco TE commit

The Louisville football program has now lost its highest-rated recruit in the class of 2019.   (3 days ago)

Austin Griffin, the No. 1 junior-college tight end prospect in the country according to 247sports.com's composite rankings, announced on Twitter he will reopen his recruitment.

Griffin, listed at 6-foot-7 and 250 pounds, is the No. 15 overall junior-college prospect.

"I’m so thankful for the staff at UofL for the love they showed me," Griffin wrote on Twitter. "I feel I made my decision a little (too) early, and all I ask is that you respect my decision. I will be opening my recruitment back up."

Griffin posted on Twitter that he visited UCLA last weekend and Boise State the weekend of Oct. 6. He's in his second year at Mt. San Antonio College in the Los Angeles area. He played in high school at Snow Canyon in Utah.

Edited by LTtxfan

Found a little JUCO info on Nebraska...

For the 2019 class, NU has verbal commitments from three junior college players: Garden City (Kan.) Community College running back Dedrick Mills, Arizona Western offensive lineman Desmond Bland and Pima (Ariz.) Community College defensive tackle Tony Fair. 

9 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The problem is that those rankings above aren't too far off so when you look at who we are talking to it is pretty obvious that we keep moving further down our list.

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

JUCO rankings are a pretty big crap shoot.

That's what I would think but the rankings seem to closely follow what our recruiting board looked like. We started off at Lakia and then went to Johnson. We started off with Jermaine Johnson and Deng and now we are focusing on Lee and Williams.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

That's what I would think but the rankings seem to closely follow what our recruiting board looked like. We started off at Lakia and then went to Johnson. We started off with Jermaine Johnson and Deng and now we are focusing on Lee and Williams.

Are they on different tiers, though? Obviously I want the best, but I really look at JUCOs to help raise the floor in the short term. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Deng is a B-backer. Johnson, Lee, and Williams are 4i DEs.

19 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Are they on different tiers, though? Obviously I want the best, but I really look at JUCOs to help raise the floor in the short term. 

I don't think anyone knows other than what we see on tape. The 9.95ers don't seem to follow JUCO and the competition seems to vary a lot and much of the tape is old.

24 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Deng is a B-backer. Johnson, Lee, and Williams are 4i DEs.

I think TEXAS missed out on Deng's Top 5 right??

Starting to believe 3-4 grad transfers may be needed to fill holes for 2019 Season..... Got to Close strong on the 2019 Class.....

Edited by LTtxfan

Updates on a couple JUCOs posted by Scholz from 9.95ers:

(Suchomel)

A quick update on JUCO linebacker 
Caleb Johnson …

When Johnson visited Texas in mid-October, he told me Texas was the team to beat and he had a hard time envisioning a scenario where anyone would be able to overtake the Longhorns. He did mention to other recruits behind the scenes that he’d likely wind up at Texas or Oregon.

Johnson told me earlier this week that he had locked in his Oregon official visit for November 17. Needless to say, we’ll be watching that one closely. The good news … Texas still holds the edge heading into his last visit.

“It’s still Texas but it’s still going to be a hard decision,” Johnson said.

(Suchomel)

Questions about JUCO defensive line recruiting seem to come up every week. Here’s a bit of good news for you all.

Iowa Western Community College defensive end 
Malcolm Lee tells me not only has he been in touch with Oscar Giles (a lot), he’ll probably be taking a Texas visit in December.

On 11/12/2018 at 4:10 PM, LTtxfan said:

Just saw this on another HORNS site..... Currently BlowU Commit

TFB is saying JUCO DL Jacoby Jones is visiting this weekend.

https://247sports.com/player/jacoby-jones-46056081/

News on JUCO SDE...Jacoby Jones just got better...... 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

Fud....added this today on Juco Myron Cunningham (OL)

https://247sports.com/player/myron-cunningham-46058777/

Regarding Cunningham, he's taking all five OVs, and with JUCOs, the overwhelming factor is always immediate playing time. He's likely take one to Texas, but currently his two scheduled OVs are OU this upcoming weekend, and one to Arkansas. Considering OU just kicked a 2018 JUCO off the team who was likely going to start in 2019, they have a nice playing time sell. Playing time is about all Arkansas can sell at this point. Not getting my hopes up here, which is a shame because he's one of the better JUCO OL I've seen, similar to Traore last year. 

Also from Fud..... Juco Jay Williams (OL)

Jay Williams might be one to watch (JUCO)

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4076409/5be87739d469390ae0a3f43e

https://247sports.com/Player/Jay-Williams-46058486/

Edited by LTtxfan

TFB  post..... (Thanks to Machinator)

***A JUCO running back to keep an eye on is Rhamondre Stevenson (Cerritos College). The Sooners recently offered Stevenson and when I checked on him I discovered that Texas has actually been in touch with him for bit, as well.

Everything I’ve heard from my contacts out in California have been glowing about Stevenson. He’s considered far and away the best running back in the JUCO ranks in Cali. I’m told he’s very big and very fast.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Fuck You 1

Inside Texas..... New JUCO RB

RB Rhamondre Stevenson, Cerritos College (Norwalk, CA) - 2019: My apologies, I didn't see the JUCO runner was offered by Texas on the 20th. I had heard about him earlier in the month but the staff didn't want his name out. They went and checked on him the last time they say Bru McCoy. At 5-11, 235 pounds he has surprising wiggle, burst, and lateral quickness. Only long speed keeps him from being a special back but he can get home from 50 yards out in the Big 12. He also holds an offer from OU as well as Utah and K-State. I'm sure they'll get him in for a visit and he may become a priority as Texas gets a better feel for who it will land at the position leading up to NSD1. There's some high stakes poker going on at running back as Texas definitely needs two in the class.

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Anymore updates on JUCO running back  Rhamondre Stevenson (Cerritos College)??   Has been mentioned for Texas and BlowU....

He's not an early enrollee and he's an OU lean. We would all love to have him at Texas. He's fucking good. If he waits and visits Texas in January, we might have a shot.

New LB.... Per Orangebloods.... (Thx Scholz)

"LB Vic Viramontes, Riverside City College. He finished with 66 tackles last season and is on the radar. A former QB, Viramontes transferred from Riverside C.C. to Minnesota before transferring back to Riverside, where he's excelled as a LB. "

Per Inside Texas..... (Thx Machinator) 

"The visit to Juco linebacker Caleb Johnson will be a big one for the staff. They'll need to read where his head is at after his visit to Oregon. We caught up with him this week and he's excited for the visit, but he's also going up there on business to see if Ducks defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt will remain. Johnson's recruiter is co-defensive coordinator/safeties coach Keith Heyward, so even if Leavitt took a job elsewhere it might not affect Johnson all that much, unless Leavitt took Heyward with him. If the staff gets a bad feel for Johnson they could make the short trip to see fellow Juco Vic Viramontes. Viramontes is blowing up recently, and may net an LSU offer soon. The staff may also elect to keep digging for a Juco through NSD2

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

New LB.... Per Orangebloods....

"LB Vic Viramontes, Riverside City College. He finished with 66 tackles last season and is on the radar. A former QB, Viramontes transferred from Riverside C.C. to Minnesota before transferring back to Riverside, where he's excelled as a LB. "

Per Inside Texas.....

Most recent hudl just went up a couple of days ago:  https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4042376/5b968d903deaa508885ee8c2

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas has recently reached to California JUCO OL Jay Williams. Not a lot of P5 offers, but visited USC last week, and is scheduled to visit FSU next month.

Props to the 'board insider' (I can't remember who) that brought up his name a few weeks ago.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas has recently reached to California JUCO OL Jay Williams. Not a lot of P5 offers, but visited USC last week, and is scheduled to visit FSU next month.

Thanks HtownHorn...... Here's info from 11/16 

From Fud..... Juco Jay Williams (OL)

Jay Williams might be one to watch (JUCO)

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4076409/5be87739d469390ae0a3f43e

Edited by LTtxfan

On 11/30/2018 at 12:12 PM, HtownHorn said:

Texas has recently reached out to California JUCO OL Jay Williams. Not a lot of P5 offers, but visited USC last week, and is scheduled to visit FSU next month.

JUCO Coach visits per EJ......

— Texas head coach Tom Herman is currently in Iowa recruiting — just a day after the Big 12 championship game. Herman and the Longhorns are continuing their search for a junior college offensive lineman and still have Myron Cunningham at the top of the board. While there hasn’t been a ton of movement there, Texas is looking to get him on campus for an official visit this month.

https://247sports.com/player/myron-cunningham-46058777/

— Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand is set to make his way to California on Monday to see JUCO offensive lineman Jay Williams. The three-star prospect does not hold an offer from Texas just yet, but there is a reason I wrote about him last week. Texas is closely evaluating him, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him earn a scholarship.

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...

EJ comments.....

Keep an eye on UCLA offensive line grad transfer Justin Murphy. He was recently granted a sixth year of eligibility and is firmly on the radar. Murphy actually started his career at Texas Tech and is originally from Belton. With UT’s need for an immediate impact offensive lineman and his Texas ties, this one makes a lot of sense.

— Texas offered JUCO offensive lineman Bamidele Olaseni a couple of months ago, and it looks like his recruiting process is starting to roll. Olaseni made his first official visit to Utah in October and recently used his second on Auburn. Olaseni will use his remaining three OVs in January. He is one to monitor in the late period.