HORNS 2019 JUCO & Grad Transfer Recruiting

LTtxfan

On 12/19/2018 at 2:00 PM, RabidM said:

I think we need 2.

I think just 1. I don't think you could get 2 xfers to come and split carries with Ingram and Young, and that 2nd RB would be taking touches from Brown, as well as Smith/Whittington. I'd much rather take another RB in either the 2019 or 2020 class (esp one amiable to a RS) - to increase depth. 

Update on grad transfer OL with Texas interest...

Coach Hand started following OL grad transfer Justin Murphy from UCLA.

He went to Belton and signed with Texas Tech in 2014.

24/7 claims he's definitely on the staff's radar.

/

• 2 weeks later...

Updates on possible Texas Juco targets....

OL James Price, Tyler JC — It’s no secret Texas is looking for some immediate help upfront, and Price is on the radar. The JUCO product, who is originally from Houston, holds 14 total offers, but it seems like Southern Miss and Georgia State are at the top of his list at this time.

OL Maisen Knight, Ventura College — Knight enrolled at Arizona coming out of high school but ended up going the JUCO route. He holds offers from Kent State, Liberty and Middle Tennessee State and is a prospect on the radar.

OL Desmond Bland, Arizona Western C.C. — Texas has recruited Arizona Western in the past, and Bland is one of the top remaining junior college offensive linemen on the board. He is currently committed to Nebraska but did not sign during the early period, which means his recruitment could get interesting.

OL Tim Anderson, Saddleback College — A three-star prospect, Anderson holds 15 total offers and has made official visits to Arkansas and Louisville. He is a prospect that has actually been on UT’s radar over the last couple of months.

DL Elijah James, Iowa Western C.C. — Texas could opt to add another immediate impact player along the defensive line, and James is a late riser. He committed to Kentucky right before the early period but did not sign. He could blow up during the late period.

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

The Alabama guys seem like better options. How good is the Belton guy?

Belton guy from UCLA is a decent player... 6th year guy due to injuries so there might be concerns if he can stay on the field.

Bama guy(s) will get lots of attention from other Schools....

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Belton guy from UCLA is a decent player... 6th year guy due to injuries so there might be concerns if he can stay on the field.

Bama guy(s) will get lots of attention from other Schools....

How much did he play this year at UCLA? Did he play well? I know he had a third knee surgery in 3 years. Will he b ready by spring practice?

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

How much did he play this year at UCLA? Did he play well? I know he had a third knee surgery in 3 years. Will he b ready by spring practice?

Try Google..... Hope these help....

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/12/12/ucla-ol-justin-murphy-will-use-sixth-year-to-transfer/

https://www.sgvtribune.com/2018/12/10/ucla-ol-justin-murphy-granted-sixth-year-of-eligibility/

Edited by LTtxfan

50 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Both those articles require you to turn off add blocker. Do they say he has recovered well from surgery and is on schedule to play at a high level in the Spring? Did he play at a high level at UCLA prior to his injury? 

Basically, is he an upgrade to Okafor, Hudson, Imade, Angilau, Moore, Ghirmai or whoever is going to play on the left side of the line (or left guard and right tackle if Cosmi replaces Anderson)? I'm not confident that he is anything more than a backup.

We need a replacement for Vahe and Anderson. An Anderson replacement would be ideal because replacing Vahe with the best of the above would be a huge upgrade. If one of the Bama guys comes here then the left guard position would be an upgrade but we are left with question marks at one of the tackle spots.

A line with Cosmi, Angilau/Imade/Ghirmai, Shakelford, Kerstetter, Okafor may be fine but it doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. And there is no doubt that Murphy can add depth as a backup. But, what we really need is a transfer that can excel. I am a little surprised that we didn't push for the transfer from Butler so I can only assume that we have better players as possibilities. Olaseni may have potential but I am skeptical whether he can pick up the offense quick enough. Same for the German guy people are talking about.

Capra is an interesting guy out of Oregon. He was Oregon's best backup at guard and his brother signed as a center. However, he entered his name in the portal.

Edited by Bevo

43 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Now we're talking.  Find someone who can come in and replace Vahe or E-Rod right away.

I could get excited about a line that looked like:  Cosmi, Grad Transfer, Shack, Imade/Okafor/Kerstetter, Okafor/Kerstetter/Christian Jones. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Thx Elmer....

Virginia player should have a better shot to qualify for grad school at Texas.....

On 1/4/2019 at 10:50 AM, LTtxfan said:

Thx Elmer....

Virginia player should have a better shot to qualify for grad school at Texas.....

He's planning to visit Texas.

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshnewberg247/status/1081999355744264192

Edit:  Seen this was posted in the 2019 recruiting thread.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Like 1

Possible Texas Juco targets....  (Bump)

OL James Price, Tyler JC — It’s no secret Texas is looking for some immediate help upfront, and Price is on the radar. The JUCO product, who is originally from Houston, holds 14 total offers, but it seems like Southern Miss and Georgia State are at the top of his list at this time.

OL Maisen Knight, Ventura College — Knight enrolled at Arizona coming out of high school but ended up going the JUCO route. He holds offers from Kent State, Liberty and Middle Tennessee State and is a prospect on the radar.

OL Desmond Bland, Arizona Western C.C. — Texas has recruited Arizona Western in the past, and Bland is one of the top remaining junior college offensive linemen on the board. He is currently committed to Nebraska but did not sign during the early period, which means his recruitment could get interesting.

OL Tim Anderson, Saddleback College — A three-star prospect, Anderson holds 15 total offers and has made official visits to Arkansas and Louisville. He is a prospect that has actually been on UT’s radar over the last couple of months.

DL Elijah James, Iowa Western C.C. — Texas could opt to add another immediate impact player along the defensive line, and James is a late riser. He committed to Kentucky right before the early period but did not sign. He could blow up during the late period.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2019 Update from EJ:

— The newest grad transfer on the board is former Virginia offensive lineman RJ Proctor. At 6-foot-4, 335 pounds, Proctor started six games at left guard for Virginia this season after opening the year with an injury. He started five games as a junior. Proctor picked up an offer from Florida State this weekend and has been in contact with the Texas staff. In fact, he is already considering making a trip to Austin.

— I mentioned JUCO offensive lineman Desmond Bland as a name to know last week. The Nebraska commit is a May grad and still exploring other options. Bland spoke with Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand over the weekend and is looking to make an official visit before signing day in February. I will have more from Bland tomorrow.

— JUCO linebacker Lakia Henry is back on the market after parting ways with Tennessee on Saturday. There has always been mutual interest between Texas and Henry. With Caleb Johnson still recovering from a labrum injury, it would make sense for Texas to make another push. But with limited spots left, Texas is still evaluating options. There was a report that Henry would make a visit to Texas in a couple of weeks, but that’s premature at this time.

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

So is Tennessee's worst starting OL good for us? It's a real question. 

He would probably be moved inside and would have to fight for a spot. So, it is unlikely that he would want to come here. As for your question, I'll answer it with another question: Is he better than Vahe was last year? Even if you say no (which is unlikely) he damn sure was better than Vahe's backup. So, at the very least, he could help the team win if someone goes down.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:58 PM, LTtxfan said:

Possible Texas Juco targets....  (Bump)

OL Maisen Knight, Ventura College — Knight enrolled at Arizona coming out of high school but ended up going the JUCO route. He holds offers from Kent State, Liberty and Middle Tennessee State and is a prospect on the radar.

OL Desmond Bland, Arizona Western C.C. — Texas has recruited Arizona Western in the past, and Bland is one of the top remaining junior college offensive linemen on the board. He is currently committed to Nebraska but did not sign during the early period, which means his recruitment could get interesting.

OL Tim Anderson, Saddleback College — A three-star prospect, Anderson holds 15 total offers and has made official visits to Arkansas and Louisville. He is a prospect that has actually been on UT’s radar over the last couple of months.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2019 Update from EJ:

— The newest grad transfer on the board is former Virginia offensive lineman RJ Proctor. At 6-foot-4, 335 pounds, Proctor started six games at left guard for Virginia this season after opening the year with an injury. He started five games as a junior. Proctor picked up an offer from Florida State this weekend and has been in contact with the Texas staff. In fact, he is already considering making a trip to Austin.

— I mentioned JUCO offensive lineman Desmond Bland as a name to know last week. The Nebraska commit is a May grad and still exploring other options. Bland spoke with Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand over the weekend and is looking to make an official visit before signing day in February. I will have more from Bland tomorrow.

— JUCO linebacker Lakia Henry is back on the market after parting ways with Tennessee on Saturday. There has always been mutual interest between Texas and Henry. With Caleb Johnson still recovering from a labrum injury, it would make sense for Texas to make another push. But with limited spots left, Texas is still evaluating options. There was a report that Henry would make a visit to Texas in a couple of weeks, but that’s premature at this time.

Another JUCO OL to know is Dontae Powell of Arizona Western.

He just de-committed from Washington State and Texas will see him next week.

https://247sports.com/Player/Dontae-Powell-78925/

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If the grand transfer market and the newly adopted transfer portal have demonstrated one thing, it's that smart coaches/programs will put in legitimate personnel departments.  I know we're light years ahead of where we were during the Mack/CS era's... but not completely sure we're where we need to be just yet.  This off-season is going to be fascinating on that front.  Play our cards right and we have the opportunity to load the roster from top to bottom with balanced, experienced talent.

On 12/31/2018 at 6:53 PM, Bevo said:

He played a lot, but wasn't certain he was going to retain the starting job this upcoming year (until our stud left tackle declared for the draft).  He was about average.  But with our OL depth issues, average was pretty good.

Super K....

***It sounds like things are progressing between Texas and Rice DT grad transfer, Zach Abercrumbia.

Zach tells me that he is scheduled to meet with Texas this Tuesday. No offer has been made just yet but he has picked up offers from Iowa and Miss. State – two schools that identify and develop defensive lineman about as well as anyone in the country.

https://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Abercrumbia-28087/

TFB..... Juco & Grad Transfer Updates

*** Touched base with 2019 JUCO offensive lineman Jimmy Price (Tyler JC) who said he is hoping to hear from Texas. He currently hears a lot from Baylor and he expects Texas to join in should he receive a Baylor offer. Something to keep an eye on.

***JUCO LB, Lakia Henry was originally planning to officially visiting Texas this weekend.  However, last night, he mentioned that he has moved his visit date to to the last weekend of the month.

***Also, am told that Texas is going after Tennessee grad transfer starting OT, Drew Richmond.  Last Friday, I spoke with a source in the building about Richmond and was told that the Vols planned on letting Richmond go. However, same source let me know, yesterday, that they have decided to work to keep him.

The initial sense I got was the Vols believed they had younger guys who would unseat Richmond. At some point between last Friday and yesterday, they obviously decided that they can’t afford to lose him.  I’m working to connect with Richmond to see where his head is at in all of this.

***Also asked about Rice grad transfer DT, Zach Abercrumbia. I get the sense Texas likes him but with the transfer portal changing the game a bit, they have to obviously be conscious of their current younger players like Coburn and Ojomo.

I’ll check with Zach later to see what Texas says to him in their meeting that was scheduled for today.

Edited by LTtxfan

EJ on transfers

"Tennessee OL Drew Richmond is in the transfer portal but is an interesting situation in the sense that he would technically be a grad transfer. As y'all have figured out, Richmond is on the Texas radar. I'm actually told that Herb Hand is slated to see him this week. Look for interest with Richmond to ramp up after Hand makes his stop as Texas continues to look for immediate OL help. Hand was also supposed to see grad transfer RJ Proctor this week, but weather prevented the trip."

"Side note: I'm likely going to take over Richmond and transfer overall moving forward. It's something I will discuss with Bobby when I get back. You guys win again..."

For what it's worth..... 9.95er update

What seems to be the preferred order of prospects on the OL (including grad transfers, JUCOs and HS)?

EJ: Finding an immediate impact player on the offensive line is a top priority. The Longhorns are looking hard at grad transfers RJ Proctor, Justin Murphy and Drew Richmond. They could all become top priorities. The Longhorns have also been in contact with JUCO products Desmond Bland and Bamidele Olaseni over the last week. Of course, Texas could add a high school player like Ira Henry, who is firmly on the radar.

Mike: I'd say grad transfer, JUCO and high school in that order. They've found success with the few grad transfers who came into the program and contributed this year. I'd be they lean on going the same route against the gamble of JUCO.

Could both RJ Proctor and Justin Murphy be added to Herb Hand’s offensive line? 

EJ: I think it’s more likely that the Longhorns add one. Proctor is going to be heavily recruited as is the aforementioned Richmond, so the Longhorns are going to have to fight hard for both. Murphy makes a lot of sense and seems like layup considering he’s from Central Texas and played for UT staffer Bob Shipley at Belton. But his injury history is reason for concern.

Mike: I will also say they get at least one of those. Texas showed in 2018 that they can plug in these guys and have success, and they should be able to pitch that effectively.

Edited by LTtxfan

Thx to CastHorn for this.....

https://247sports.com/Player/Willie-Tyler-46080159/

"A lot of our coaches started following this guy. 6-7 330lb Freshman Juco Tackle. He’s flying way under the radar because he wasn’t expected to graduate early but he’ll now graduate in May.  He’s got size, good feet, moves really well and has decent technique. I think he could use a redshirt year to build strength, get down to like 310, and then let him loose at Right Tackle."

• Like 1

Thx to Texasstrong12 for this.....

"Herb Hand started following OG Rutgers grad transfer Jonah Jackson. Mehringer was his OC for a year. "

Also:  "Jackson started following Mehringer and Herb Hand."

https://247sports.com/player/jonah-jackson-57240/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thx to Hipho for this.....  From his Bio at Rutgers:

2018 (Redshirt Junior): Started 11 games at right guard ... named honorable mention All-Big Ten by the coaches and media (11/28) ... named to the Academic All-Big Ten list (12/5) ... part of an offensive line unit that ranked second in the Big Ten and 19th nationally with only 1.33 sacks permitted per game ... helped the team to over 200 rushing and passing yards in the season opener against Texas State (9/1) ... voted a team captain.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 1/25/2019 at 6:52 PM, RiceOwl said:

Parker Braun LG from Georgia Tech transferring.

2x first team ACC.

Played some of his HS ball at Hallsville in East Texas.

Just saw this article..... Quality player & team leader.   Sounds like another Calvin Anderson maybe??

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/parker-braun-transfer-from-georgia-tech/ZqJZlGWr2TGXN6q6z1eRZJ/

Georgia Tech guard Parker Braun, probably the Yellow Jackets’ best player on the 2018 team, will leave as a grad transfer....

Braun, a three-year starter who had played 32 consecutive games, was named first-team All-ACC this past season after being named second-team All-ACC as a sophomore. Since earning a spot in the starting lineup in the middle of the 2016 season, Braun was an anchor on the line, a forceful combination of agility, unrelenting effort and power. He easily qualifies as one of the top two or three offensive linemen in former coach Paul Johnson’s 11-season tenure.

Having started 32 consecutive games and been an energy-giving leader on the offensive line, he leaves a considerable void for new coach Geoff Collins to fill on the line. 

Edited by LTtxfan

On 12/21/2018 at 11:19 AM, Machinator said:

Thanks to Machinator for the following Feb 6th article.....

"TFB Open Post has a good breakdown of the grad transfer OL prospects..... " 

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-wednesday-february-6th/

Edited by LTtxfan