Steak

blacklab

Since I moved out west I don't go downtown very often. 

Any good places in bee cave/lakeway? Looks like the one in the galleria shut down, and with good reason, that place was awful. Steaks were grey and tasted like they were broiled in an old electric oven.

What's your favorite place downtown?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, don't shoot me, but believe it or not, the sirloin plate at Chili's (we eat at the one in Bee Cave) is pretty damn good.  Wife and I like it because 1) it's like $11 for the 6 oz., which is plenty for me, 2) comes in the "normal" version with side choice (I usually get mashers and rice), which even that is only about 600 cal. total, or the "lean" version, where you get the steak plus a little lettuce and cooked small tomatoes for only 400 calories.

And all the time we've eaten it, it's really, really tasty.

Edit:  Also, FWIW, the old Mimi's in front of the Galleria is now a Saltgrass.  Worth a shot maybe, at least once.

Edited by phdhorn

In Austin, Jeffrey’s is very good.  The Fleming’s at the Domain is consistently good (unlike the downtown location).  Been going there for years.  Ask for Curtis to be your waiter.  Capital Grille is also makes a good steak.

On your side of town (which is also mine), there isn’t much.  Steiner Ranch Steakhouse has a great view, but after all these years they still can’t cook a good steak, and don’t serve prime beef (which makes no sense).  

So our neighbor gave us a $50 certificate to Saltgrass for watching the dogs over a weekend.
LOL, with all the rabid recommendations here, can't wait!

(really with any steakhouse, it's a ripoff vs. what you can make at home, becuase we always make it better and spend 1/4 the $ for the same cut of meat... but whateverz...)

Edited by phdhorn

27 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

So our neighbor gave us a $50 certificate to Saltgrass for watching the dogs over a weekend.

(really with any steakhouse, it's a ripoff vs. what you can make at home, becuase we always make it better and spend 1/4 the $ for the same cut of meat... but whateverz...)

Just look at it as a shitty steak but with $50 worth of free beer.

On 2/27/2019 at 7:39 AM, phdhorn said:

You like Chili’s...you’ll be fine.

• Like 1

phd, you should be able to use that Saltgrass gift card at any Landry's property, including Morton's and McCormick & Schmick's:

Saltgrass Gift Card Support

Saltgrass gift cards may be used to purchase goods and services at any Landry's, Inc. or affiliated location in the U.S. including Rusty Pelican, Oceanaire, Morton's Steakhouse, McCormick & Schmick's, Kemah Boardwalk, Aquarium, Bubba Bump's, Chart House, Claim Jumper, Salt Grass Steak House and several other fine dining establishments. Please note that a Saltgrass gift card has no cash value; except as required by law, and is not redeemable for cash. There are no service fees or expiration dates associated with Saltgrass gift cards so you will be able to redeem the gift card until the full balance is used.

phd, you should be able to use that Saltgrass gift card at any Landry's property, including Morton's and McCormick & Schmick's:

Saltgrass Gift Card Support

Saltgrass gift cards may be used to purchase goods and services at any Landry's, Inc. or affiliated location in the U.S. including Bubba Bump's,

Bubba Bump. Your redneck low quality cocaine dealer.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since there isn't any decent (as far as I know) eatery in Austin under the Saltgrass umbrella (Landry's of course be gone from here... uh, right? Used to be down on the river by 35) we went to the newly-opened one in Bee Cave to redeem our fifty bucks (ref. to my post above).

LOL.

I had small sirloin + shrimp.  Shrimp were actually pretty good.  Came with a salad choice, I got Caesar.  Besides the predictable chunkier part of the lettuce (as opposed to the leafy part) and the fact that I would assume most of it was iceberg (nutritional value of cardboard), it wasn't bad.

The steak was amusing.
The flavor was passable, but I'm sure now that they ran around in the Hill Country lookin' for road kill critters.  Every fucking bite I had to pull that shitty non-digestible gristle out of my mouth.  I'd get more of a high from chewing tobacco.  Plus we got a tip (which turned out to be true) to order more done than what you'd think - i.e. we both asked for "medium" rather than "medium rare" and it came out medium rare.  Imagine chewing on that cud if it were less cooked.

I'll just leave it at that.  Except that the place was pretty crowded and I wept.  I wept for the hordes that believe this is a place to go to eat steak vs. even throwing one on your pan at home which could come out better.  

That's about it.

Edited by phdhorn

On 3/10/2019 at 4:35 PM, blacklab said:

Thank you for your sacrifice. Wife saw that the other day and said we should go, I said we'll drive into town.

Are any of the places west/south of bee cave any good? Verde's, J5, Angel's?

There’s a pretty good place in Uvalde.

• 4 weeks later...

Agree Flemings is really good

3 Forks was amazing the last time I was there (10 years ago)

*Perry's has an amazing pork chop but I've never tried their steak

There's always Ruth's Chris if you like your steak broiled in butter

Haven't been to The Hoffbrau in forever but they were always solid

Edited by Texas007
*Perry's $15 pork chop lunch on Fridays is the best deal in town

This will be walking distance from my house. Looking forward to it. 

Restaurant chain Perry’s Steakhouse & Grilleis expanding with a brand new, comparatively more casual restaurant. Carve American Grille will open in Oak Hill at the Lantana Place development off West William Cannon Drive and Southwest Parkway sometime in late summer 2019.

Carve, which is the first and only location planned for the moment, will focus on fiery cooking methods like live-fire, smoking, and wood-grilling, with a wider menu than Perry’s, though specific details weren’t available. . The smoky approach will apply to desserts and cocktails as well.

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I like Ruth’s Chris but the Austin location was a little disappointing 

Guadalupe or 6th?  My only experience was at the Guadalupe location, probably 25 years ago or more.  I thought it was fine, but my preference for local joints remained Dan McKlusky's.

On 4/8/2019 at 4:54 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Guadalupe or 6th?  My only experience was at the Guadalupe location, probably 25 years ago or more.  I thought it was fine, but my preference for local joints remained Dan McKlusky's.

6th street. I was expecting better. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2019 at 7:53 AM, VolenteHawk said:

Jeffrey’s is the best steak in Austin. ALC is my favorite place to eat a steak.

Is the Wagyu worth it? I’ve had the USDA Prime (which was outstanding) but am considering biting the bullet and getting the Wagyu porterhouse next visit (for two). Better price per weigh than the other Wagyu options and my wife prefers the filet while I like the strip. 

On 2/28/2019 at 10:37 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

How is III Forks?

Was just there recently. Food was great but had the worst waiter I have ever had in my life. He was so obnoxious we almost got up and left before we had even ordered. If anyone goes there and gets a large dude named John as your waiter, request someone else or get up and leave.

• 3 months later...

We generally end up at Bob’s.  Call me cheap but I like the fact that they don’t charge me $9 for some mashed potatoes. I like the atmosphere better there compared to Flemings. Except when it was the circuit of America’s race weekend and there were a lot of foreigners with their toddlers there. It’ll take you about 20 minutes to get used to the minimal lighting they have in Bobs.

14 hours ago, Larry Sellers said:

We generally end up at Bob’s.  Call me cheap but I like the fact that they don’t charge me $9 for some mashed potatoes. I like the atmosphere better there compared to Flemings. Except when it was the circuit of America’s race weekend and there were a lot of foreigners with their toddlers there. It’ll take you about 20 minutes to get used to the minimal lighting they have in Bobs.

I agree on the sides -- it's nice that a steakhouse includes 50 cents worth of potatoes instead of charging $10.

FYI -- the Fleming's at the Domain is much better than the one downtown IMO

Edited by AustinMT

Taking my 9-year-old and 13-year-old to Bob’s on Friday night. A high quality steak might not mean as much to them, but I’ve been needing to cash in a $100 gift card.

It’s been a while, and I don’t remember the price range as being too crazy expensive, but what’s the deal with not listing any prices in the menu posted online?

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Taking my 9-year-old and 13-year-old to Bob’s on Friday night. A high quality steak might not mean as much to them, but I’ve been needing to cash in a $100 gift card.

It’s been a while, and I don’t remember the price range as being too crazy expensive, but what’s the deal with not listing any prices in the menu posted online?

At least you have your 2 kids with you to help you wash dishes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I don’t know, but their prices are pretty much the same as the other steak places. 

Best deal, get there by happy hour and get the filet skewers/kabobs (which are the trimmings from their filet tenderloin and are awesome), salads, and some sides. Your gift card will cover it.

edit- it’s not on the menu but you can get small versions of all their salads and it’s plenty.

Edited by justhookit

I bet there are some pictures of menus with prices on them in yelp. My favorite is the Kansas City strip (ny strip bone in) which I want to say is $50-60.