Steak

blacklab

On 9/12/2019 at 2:05 PM, justhookit said:

I don’t know, but their prices are pretty much the same as the other steak places. 

Best deal, get there by happy hour and get the filet skewers/kabobs (which are the trimmings from their filet tenderloin and are awesome), salads, and some sides. Your gift card will cover it.

edit- it’s not on the menu but you can get small versions of all their salads and it’s plenty.

But what if I want the big salad?

george costanza salad GIF

• Like 2

On 9/12/2019 at 2:05 PM, justhookit said:

I don’t know, but their prices are pretty much the same as the other steak places. 

Best deal, get there by happy hour and get the filet skewers/kabobs (which are the trimmings from their filet tenderloin and are awesome), salads, and some sides. Your gift card will cover it.

edit- it’s not on the menu but you can get small versions of all their salads and it’s plenty.

$45-$60 min. Tomahawk Ribeye was 90 last time I went. 

Get the 24oz lobster tail. They will cook it however you want. (At least they used to)

So I forgot just how much food you get with the steak at Bob’s. I remember the big glazed carrot, but they also don’t cheat you on the skillet potatoes. That and the loaf of house bread is really all you need unless you just ran a half marathon.

Agreed its one of the main reasons we end up there. I think most of the high end steakhouses do the steaks fine and are comparable. So throwing in the potatoes and carrot keep us coming back to Bob’s. What did your kids get to eat?

1 hour ago, Larry Sellers said:

Agreed its one of the main reasons we end up there. I think most of the high end steakhouses do the steaks fine and are comparable. So throwing in the potatoes and carrot keep us coming back to Bob’s. What did your kids get to eat?

My 13-year-old daughter ordered the filet medallions with lobster tail with a baked potato, and she ate it all. My 8-year-old son got the 9 oz filet and did an admirable job considering the plate was a fourth of his body weight.

16 hours ago, Larry Sellers said:

You are a good parent to spend that nice food on your kids. I have a 10 year old kid who wants steak or shrimp and I have to knock him down a few pegs to chicken nuggets.

Don’t give me too much credit. It was a special occasion and I had a $100 gift card from a client.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait . . . Lance Armstrong is part of the crew behind VY Steakhouse?

And he's still a raging asshole?

I hear you can get a single Rocky Mountain Oyster there, now. Just ask for "The Lance".

• 7 months later...
On 11/5/2018 at 10:58 AM, blacklab said:

Since I moved out west I don't go downtown very often. 

Any good places in bee cave/lakeway? Looks like the one in the galleria shut down, and with good reason, that place was awful. Steaks were grey and tasted like they were broiled in an old electric oven.

What's your favorite place downtown?

Hoffbrau

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/3/2021 at 5:21 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m over the steak house experience unless I’m traveling or somebody else is paying. My lovely wife grilled a couple marked down Rice Epicurean USDA Prime Ribeyes and it was fantastic. Good bottle of Italian Pinot Noir, some sides. Probably saved $170-180. 

This. Making a good steak is fucking easy and you can source a better steak from elsewhere for cheaper than you'll get it at the restaurant because you don't need to pay for their rent, wages, and other miscellaneous fees. When I want to treat myself I go order a steak from Pacific Rogue Wagyu, pay $50 for a steak that is higher quality than any 16 oz steak you'll get from a steakhouse for under $80-100 after tax and tip and can prep it how I want and cook it how I want so that when all is said and done I am way happier with the end result than I would be at a steakhouse. The one exception is if they have foie gras, some amazing dessert, or some truly out of this world apps/sides.

And when I say amazing, I mean like some creme de la creme type shit that could convince an atheist that such good shit would be impossible to find if God weren't real. Like I can make some great desserts myself, but that takes way more effort than just making a steak so I am willing to a pay a great pastry chef to do that for me. Sides are easier but still harder than steak, so hey if they got something better than I could ever hope to do I'll pay the dude to do it for me. But for steak? C'mon, that shit is easy.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Are they going to reopen the Hoffbrau? 

I don't know if that is a leased or owned operation, but there is no way that that place covers the fixed cost nut of property ownership from selling food there given what the dirt is worth.  Frankly, all of downtown Austin needs to be high-rise mixed use to just pay the property taxes.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 11:54 AM, wackawacka said:

Went to J prime a few weeks ago without reading much. What a disaster. Terrible food and felt like Dallas vibes.

Planning to go to Jeffery's soon if I can ever plan ahead for reservations

Yeah….  This is the worst “high end” steakhouse in Austin by a few miles.  We went there last year with some clients at last minute because only place with reservations.  Inexcusable bad and u prepared servers for the prices they were charging. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...