Tex Mex

blacklab

Maudie's is my. Personal favorite. Wife loves Polvo's for the fish and shrimp dishes. El Dorado is one of our newer favorites. Used to love Dario's but have had bad experiences at Don Dario's the two times I tried it. Worth going back for a third? 

I agree with some here, but wife and I just met our UT student at El Patio and I gotta tell ya, it was good.  Their cheese sauce is awesome and prices are still damn good.

I’ve heard they brought back saltines. If so, I shall return.
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Hate said:

This is the correct answer. I lived in Austin for 7 years and never found a really good Mexican food place. Maudi’s was ok at best, but there weren’t a whole lot of good options.

Yes. Because the velveeta is so much fresher in San Antonio and because the knowledge of how to make good Tex-Mex gets lost in the vast expanse from San Antonio to Austin. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I’ve heard they brought back saltines. If so, I shall return.

Yes.. Just ask for crackers and butter. Throw the chips away. two cents. Personally, I love El Patio.. been going since I was a freshman. Now the owners know my kids. Brings me back. Not the best but still. That's why I still frequent Texadelphia (when I can find one in Austin) and wish GM's was still open or Mad Dogs.. 

Get off my lawn.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The green chili chicken stew at Chuy's is one of my favorite dishes in Austin.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Chuy's, but that's a good dish.  Most of their green chile stuff is pretty good.  Not exactly Tex-Mex, though.

On 11/16/2018 at 1:05 PM, The Other White Meat said:

Any recommendations on a place to get good tamales? So far I've only tried Maudie's and they were terrible.

You’re gonna have to find that dude that used to sell them by the dozen at C Hunts. Last time I saw him, he was at The Local Outpost.

On 11/21/2018 at 11:27 AM, VolenteHawk said:

You’re gonna have to find that dude that used to sell them by the dozen at C Hunts. Last time I saw him, he was at The Local Outpost.

He drives a black smart car now. Name is Menudo. Also found at Little Woodrow’s on parmer he’s always got that hot pork

Edited by ChickenSandwich

On 11/18/2018 at 8:34 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I haven't been there in a few years because I don't live in that neighborhood any more, but I used to eat breakfast at Curra's several times a month.  Try the Oaxacan coffee.

We miss Curra’s. When we lived around the Kinney Avenue neighborhood (hence my outdated handle) we ate there all the time. Then went to the one off Burnet Road when we moved to Northwest Hills, but they closed that location several years ago. Cochinita pibil is the tits.

I looked it up and saw the location -- I'm not sure I ever went there.  Weird.  Any idea how long it was open?  I guess Burnet Road was a bit less a destination at that time.  I certainly travel that way a lot more now, in part because my kids attended Lamar MS and now Mac HS.

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

on the heb side, or the whataburger side of that intersection?

Whataburger side.  In the smaller section of the strip center nearest McNeil with the Schlotzky's in it, not the section that has Little Woodrow's in it.  It's still a Tex-Mex place, it was called La Margarita for a while but I think it's something new now, maybe La Feria?