Tex Mex

blacklab

• 3 weeks later...

Tried Maudie's on South Congress a few years ago - thought it was mediocre.

Enchiladas y Mas is pretty good, and I recommend Recuerdos - a little hole in the wall place in downtown Round Rock (Eduardo the owner worked at E y M for quite a while - and some of the staff is from the old Antonio's family on North Lamar back in the 70s & 80s).

Also a very good new joint is Santiago's on 620 in a strip center between I-35 & Parmer. Good bar & food. I got my standard Lipitor Especial there Saturday... ( Nachos Compuestos appetizer is damn good too).

8-A91-F915-DCDE-44-B3-A6-B9-88-B561217-F

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 2

My favorite place in San Antonio is the Mexican Manhattan on Soledad. Been going there for nearly 60 years. It's a locals' joint even though it's close to the Riverwalk - however it appears the tourists have discovered it in recent years after the restaurant expanded & remodeled.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was at Herberts about 15 years ago when a mouse scurried across the floor...right into the path of a 300 pound waitress who crushed that fucking mouse right there in the middle of the floor. It laid there twitching until it twitched no more. No one ever noticed it or at least cared enough to scrap it off the floor.

• 3 weeks later...

Always sad to see an old family bidness close.

Recuerdos in downtown Round Rock is solid. Small place, but has odd hours. Check their website.

Santiago’s on 620 west of Round Rock - strip center by the DQ - has become our go-to place. A schooner house ‘rita (frozen) with the Nachos Compuestos is damn good, as is their table salsa.

Edited by Armybrat

• 1 month later...

Took the wife and one son to El Nuevo Mexico tonight.  It's a small joint near Anderson & Lamar.  I got the cheese enchiladas with chili gravy, and they were spectacular.  Wife got shredded chicken enchiladas with a poblano cream sauce -- she said they were pretty good but not great.  I wanted to try a bite but in my gluttony over the cheese enchiladas I failed to look up in time, and her "pretty good" enchiladas were gone with her plate apparently licked clean.  That plate got more action tonight than I've had in months.

Solid refried beans, decent Spanish rice, and a killer fresh salsa with plenty of serrano peppers on board.  I'll be back.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m really loving the Rene’s Awesome Enchiladas at El Dorado. It’s my favorite Tex mex dish in town right now 

of course it’s always crowded as fuck 

I love that dish for sure, the short rib filling is fantastic.  But with the tomatillo sauce, jack cheese, green onion, and sour cream, it's really more like a Southwestern dish than a Tex-Mex dish to me.  Just my opinion, of course.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I love that dish for sure, the short rib filling is fantastic.  But with the tomatillo sauce, jack cheese, green onion, and sour cream, it's really more like a Southwestern dish than a Tex-Mex dish to me.  Just my opinion, of course.

You can call it whatever you want, it’s delicious. The short rib filling is the tits 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can't have a tex-mex thread without bending the knee to the greatest of all time:  The Roundup in Pharr Texas (that's the valley , and yeah I'm old as dirt).  It was one of the mother's of tex mex as it was actually more of a traditional true central mexico restaurant (seafood, frog legs, etc.),  but their fajitas were still the best I've ever had and their botana platter was the bomb.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 10:31 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Took the wife and one son to El Nuevo Mexico tonight.  It's a small joint near Anderson & Lamar.  I got the cheese enchiladas with chili gravy, and they were spectacular.  Wife got shredded chicken enchiladas with a poblano cream sauce -- she said they were pretty good but not great.  I wanted to try a bite but in my gluttony over the cheese enchiladas I failed to look up in time, and her "pretty good" enchiladas were gone with her plate apparently licked clean.  That plate got more action tonight than I've had in months.

Solid refried beans, decent Spanish rice, and a killer fresh salsa with plenty of serrano peppers on board.  I'll be back.

Thanks for this.  Family and I are staying @ 183 and 35.  I specifically came to this thread for rec.  On it Friday.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:31 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Try the breakfast enchilada plate.  It has the same cheese enchiladas, fried potatoes instead of rice, refried beans and a couple fried eggs on the enchiladas.  Served all day.  

On 11/4/2019 at 3:26 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Try the breakfast enchilada plate.  It has the same cheese enchiladas, fried potatoes instead of rice, refried beans and a couple fried eggs on the enchiladas.  Served all day.  

El Nuevo Mexico is one of my favorite lunch spots. Lunch special for 2 cheese enchiladas w/ chili gravy, charro beans (fucking tits 90% of the time), and a small queso bowl is $8.50. 

But now it sounds like I may have to go pick up breakfast sometime, too.

Gracias amigo!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 2:16 PM, SurlyBDR said:

El Nuevo Mexico is one of my favorite lunch spots. Lunch special for 2 cheese enchiladas w/ chili gravy, charro beans (fucking tits 90% of the time), and a small queso bowl is $8.50. 

But now it sounds like I may have to go pick up breakfast sometime, too.

Gracias amigo!

On 11/4/2019 at 3:29 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuurk.

Stopped in this afternoon to have lunch with my siblings.  Here is the enchilada breakfast plate.  Shown before dousing the eggs and potatoes with cholula.  

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Ate breakfast at Serrano's. Had driven by it many times and didn't realize it was a locally started restaurant.  THey started up about the time I moved out of Austin. The migas were solid. The hot sauce was excellent. Headed back for dinner to see what that's like.

The regular Tex Mex at Serrano’s is just okay.  But the mesquite grilled chicken thighs with pechuga sauce and the carnitas with the verde sauce are really good. The Mopac and 290 location is rarely crowded and plenty of parking. 

• 1 month later...