Tex Mex

blacklab

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Hey Al, good to see you around.  What do you like at the Texican?  I've been meaning to go but never have.  Usually end up at La Posada instead.

Their cabrito is good.  Not El Azteca good, but then again, El Azteca is gone now, so...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Hey Al, good to see you around.  What do you like at the Texican?  I've been meaning to go but never have.  Usually end up at La Posada instead.

I'm a simple guy.  I get their El Paso cheese enchiladas.  Love that smoky sauce they use.  Not the typical gravy.  And I get a sour cream chicken enchilada a la carte.  That thing is amazing.

Their chips and salsa is good, too.

Haven't had their cabrito yet.

19 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

I've lived here over 30 years and never heard of La Posada on Westgate. The nachos on their webpage look legit as af. What's the go-to dinner there for the first time? Combo plates? Enchiladas? The entire left side?

Same.  I might have gone there once, but don't remember it.  Will have to try it again.

1 hour ago, ftf82 said:

I've lived here over 30 years and never heard of La Posada on Westgate. The nachos on their webpage look legit as af. What's the go-to dinner there for the first time? Combo plates? Enchiladas? The entire left side?

Enchiladas and combo plates are good, I had the lengua plate last time, it was pretty good.  It’s just a solid small Tex-mex joint.   Surprisingly one of the servers at El Nuevo Mexico out north recommended it to us for eating south.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 2/25/2020 at 12:45 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Only been to the one up at Lakeline, but we have a group at my office that go a couple times a year, and we all get the steak chimichanga every time. Slams, goes hard, etc...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Poster on Orangebloods saying that Enchiladas y Mas has closed permanently.  

Mother Fuck. 

Can someone get the enchilada recipe? Is Jorge Arrendondo still alive to provide the original recipe that started it all?  Holy fuck, if it's lost in all of this...

7 hours ago, Deej said:

20200419_151758.jpg

20200419_151810.jpg

Thanks for keeping up with this for all of of the rest of us, deej.  I hope the daughters can work out something.  Selfishly, I hope that if they do, it's somewhere in the same area or generally north.  If not, I still certainly wish the best for them and I'll make it wherever they are, if possible.

I grew up in a family in the restaurant business and I know from personal experience how hard it is.  I can't fault anyone for simply having enough and packing it in.  But I sure hope they persist.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Anybody else overwhelmingly craving mexican food to-go tonight?  

Pretty much "always" for me, but yes! 

I'll actually be making homemade BBQ enchiladas from some leftover pork spareribs I smoked earlier in the week.

Man I am so bummed out about EyM. We ate there or got takeout from there weekly for the past few years. Family from Houston and Dallas loved it and asked to go there any time they visited us. It was walking distance from our house in Crestview (couple blocks behind Sunrise Mini Mart). The staff was really good about knowing regulars, and that applied to us. Hell they even knew our toddlers pretty well, pretty much watching them grow up with all our regular visits.

Neighborhood won't be the same without them.

8 hours ago, APMP said:

Man I am so bummed out about EyM. We ate there or got takeout from there weekly for the past few years. Family from Houston and Dallas loved it and asked to go there any time they visited us. It was walking distance from our house in Crestview (couple blocks behind Sunrise Mini Mart). The staff was really good about knowing regulars, and that applied to us. Hell they even knew our toddlers pretty well, pretty much watching them grow up with all our regular visits.

Neighborhood won't be the same without them.

At least you still have the Sunrise Mini Mart...for now.

5 hours ago, Deej said:

At least you still have the Sunrise Mini Mart...for now.

I was talking to Sam the other day. His plan was  to take over the East Side Pies location and open up a wine bar that served food as well. Once backspace pizza decided to open up across the street, he cancelled that plan and now is planning on opening up a liquor store next door . He owns another store as well, and he seems to be doing OK. I stop in once a week or so, and there's always about the same number of people as preCovid. 

I was talking to Sam the other day. His plan was  to take over the East Side Pies location and open up a wine bar that served food as well. Once backspace pizza decided to open up across the street, he cancelled that plan and now is planning on opening up a liquor store next door . He owns another store as well, and he seems to be doing OK. I stop in once a week or so, and there's always about the same number of people as preCovid. 
Heard the same thing from him. Don't go in there as much these days though.

On 4/29/2020 at 11:27 PM, Blotto said:

Wait, Backspace opened up a 2nd location?

• 1 month later...

I clicked on this from the main page because it said Tex Mex but seeing that picture of the enchiladas with fajita on top is making me want to take a pilgrimage to this place after it reopens. Is that something one should do from 3 hours away and make a weekend of it?

Guest Lobo

Enchilada Tuesday baby!  Explosive Bowel Movement Mondays, now...also...on a Tuesday.  

Surly tailgate party?  We all get to-go, eat at a responsible distance from one another in the parking lot with coolers?  

Enchilada Tuesday baby!  Explosive Bowel Movement Mondays, now...also...on a Tuesday.  
Surly tailgate party?  We all get to-go, eat at a responsible distance from one another in the parking lot with coolers?  

This idea has potential

Guest Lobo

I've had a couple of "Power Lunches" during covid19.  We get separate orders to-go from somewhere, find some shade trees in the lot...park our trucks facing backwards to one another, sit and eat lunch and have couple of beers.  Nobody else bats an eye since they know you can't really drink a beer inside most places that have shut down their bar service.  It was nice during the good weather.  Probably about to be too hot to sit out on 120 degree asphalt, but still possible if you find enough shade.  

Enchiladas y Mas has too small a parking lot.  But we could move across the street by 4Hands & that big gym.  My god, I could really for some proper tex-mex with a couple of ice cold beers.  

• 2 weeks later...