Tex Mex

blacklab

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 10:53 AM, Lobo said:

I've had a couple of "Power Lunches" during covid19.  We get separate orders to-go from somewhere, find some shade trees in the lot...park our trucks facing backwards to one another, sit and eat lunch and have couple of beers.  Nobody else bats an eye since they know you can't really drink a beer inside most places that have shut down their bar service.  It was nice during the good weather.  Probably about to be too hot to sit out on 120 degree asphalt, but still possible if you find enough shade.  

Enchiladas y Mas has too small a parking lot.  But we could move across the street by 4Hands & that big gym.  My god, I could really for some proper tex-mex with a couple of ice cold beers.  

I know this post is like three weeks old, but I just wanted to chime in that there are very few places where it's illegal to have an open container in public. Basically zilker, downtown between Lamar east to Chicon, north up to MLK; the drag north to 51st Street; east riverside neighborhood between 35 and Pleasant Valley, and then a small neighborhood around Montopolis. Otherwise you're free to walk around with a beer pretty much anywhere, except for city parks. 

Guest Lobo

I thought it was a city-wide ordinance that says you couldn't?  Shit, I never really cared except during football season when you sorta had to pay attention to where/when you walked around with an open beer.  You get too far from the stadium, you don't look like you're tailgating anymore, you just look homeless.  Good to know.  Had a few good lunches over the last few months with beers in the parking lot.  But yeah, at this point---who cares?  Ain't gonna sit in a parking lot and enjoy a meal and a cold one in this ridiculous heat. 

BUt yeah good to know, 'cause if this continues...when October rolls around again, I'll be doing parking lot pearl snap power lunches again.  

Guest Lobo

South Austin---------Oh, I look like a miscreant most days.  That thread on football where all the frat dudes brag about what new Peter Millar outfits they're buying for gameday.  Yeah, I'm not on that thread.  I have the same 3  worndown and dated burnt orange shirts that are ten years old.  I wear ill-fitting jeans and cheap flip-flops.  And it doesn't help that I'm quite drunk on most gamedays and sweat profusely because my upper midwest blood never acclimated to Texas heat in September.  So yeah if you saw me at 7pm downtown after a 2:30p game, it'd be hard to discern whether or not I should be walking around with an alcoholic beverage.  My lawyer is constantly embarrassed about my appearance in his seats.  

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I know this post is like three weeks old, but I just wanted to chime in that there are very few places where it's illegal to have an open container in public. Basically zilker, downtown between Lamar east to Chicon, north up to MLK; the drag north to 51st Street; east riverside neighborhood between 35 and Pleasant Valley, and then a small neighborhood around Montopolis. Otherwise you're free to walk around with a beer pretty much anywhere, except for city parks. 

I was actually mistaken about parks. Just read this:

Let’s start with the rules as they stand now: Where can I not drink beer in any Austin park?

“Right now, you still could not be sitting on a playscape, drinking a beer. You could not be sitting in the swimming pool drinking a beer. You see what I’m saying?” asks Pat Fuller with the City’s Parks and Recreation Department.

As Fuller explains it, you can’t consume alcohol on or in park features – like swimming pools or recreation centers, where kids are often hanging out. But you can stay in the park, and just step outside the boundaries of these places, and swig away. Yet, Fuller says, determining these boundaries is often an issue for Austin Police.

“The officer comes up, the lady says ‘That guy’s drinking a beer in close proximity to this playscape.’ Well, when APD looks at the law, it goes, 'Well, they’re legal,'” he says.

So the Parks Department is in the process of clarifying the rules. The proposal would place a 100-foot no-alcohol zone around all city park features – including pools, restrooms, parking lots and sports fields. The ordinance still has to make its way through boards and commissions, but should come to the City Council for approval in the spring. Just in time to crack open a beer in the park – where it’s legal, of course.

Guest Lobo

Good to know.  Makes sense you don't want people boozing it up on the playscape, and you probably just have to make a blanket law for public pools because some asshole will bring bottled beer like a jerk.  Whenever we've taken wine or beer over to Zilker, we've hidden it in shame but sounds like we can pretty much have it out in the open.  Pos rep.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That will end well.  Nothing screams TexMex like "North Carolina private equity".

That is certainly my initial thought, but then again, it would be tough to make it any worse than it was near the end, so perhaps they CAN improve it...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Curra's in Hyde Park finally opened a few months ago and it's on point.  Finally a good TexMex place around these parts.  Julio's is ok, but this is a step up.  Pricey, but damn good.  

Holy shit, I loved Curra’s and used to go all the time when I lived south of the river. Didn’t know they were opening one close to me. I’ll definitely make my way there soon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hate said:

The Guero's is now Curra's??  Guero's used to be my go to tacos al pastor connection in Austin back in the day.  They weren't exactly what you would get on the Pacific side of Mexico, but they were good for Central Texas. 

No, the Curra's location on Oltorf was previously the original Guero's.  Then Guero's moved to South Congress.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...