Pizza

blacklab

• 3 weeks later...

Grabbed a pizza at Home Slice (North Loop) last night.  I gotta say, it was pretty uninspiring.  Thin crust that was too dense, undersauced (and the sauce was bland), but the cheese was tasty.  I guess 0.333 is baseball hall of fame material.

I used to live a block from the original South Congress location and always thought it was decent, but not worthy of the hype.  This wasn't even that good.  I doubt I'll go back.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:04 PM, utee94 said:

Pretty glad I don't live by one.  Or close to Conan's, either.  My circumference would be... vast...

I just found out this weekend that Conan's south, previously which did not deliver to my neighborhood (I was 4 blocks too far south), is now on Grubhub and delivers to my neighborhood.  Proceeded to order a large savage plus some for the rest of the family.

• 5 months later...

Conan's took top prize in the Austin Chronicle's local pizza competition.  I don't get it, I wouldn't put them in my top 10, but opinions, assholes, whatever.

I voted for Backspace, Little Deli, and Pieous.  Backspace didn't make the top 10, which is stupid.  They're probably the most legit Neo pizza in town.

Top 10, because Austinites are stupid (Pizza Day?  what the fuck?):

Buffalina

East Side Pies (try the pubic hair pie with bong cheese, it's amazing)

Little Deli

Pinthouse (hasn't made a good pizza in 10 years)

Southside (isn't this Domino's in different colors?)

Conan's (oh what the fuck, smoke another bowl) WINNER

Home Slice (the Sam Ehlinger of local pizzas, beloved by all but not quite worthy of the hype)

Pieous

Pizza Day (aspires to be Papa Murphy's)

Via 313 (great pie, but might as well be a different food group, still worthy)

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Conan's took top prize in the Austin Chronicle's local pizza competition.  I don't get it, I wouldn't put them in my top 10, but opinions, assholes, whatever.

I voted for Backspace, Little Deli, and Pieous.  Backspace didn't make the top 10, which is stupid.  They're probably the most legit Neo pizza in town.

Top 10, because Austinites are stupid (Pizza Day?  what the fuck?):

Buffalina

East Side Pies (try the pubic hair pie with bong cheese, it's amazing)

Little Deli

Pinthouse (hasn't made a good pizza in 10 years)

Southside (isn't this Domino's in different colors?)

Conan's (oh what the fuck, smoke another bowl) WINNER

Home Slice (the Sam Ehlinger of local pizzas, beloved by all but not quite worthy of the hype)

Pieous

Pizza Day (aspires to be Papa Murphy's)

Via 313 (great pie, but might as well be a different food group, still worthy)

Pieous 

Buffalina

HS

ESP

Conans (with nostalgia weighting)

Everybody else.

3 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

Home Slice is great for their Italian sub, which is what I always order from there.  I tried some of their calzone the other day when my wife ordered it, and it was good too.  Their pizza is the last thing I would order.

The pepperoni Sicilian and the Italian sub are the two best things on the menu at Home Slice.  While the thin crust is solid, it's pretty forgettable. 

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The pepperoni Sicilian and the Italian sub are the two best things on the menu at Home Slice.  While the thin crust is solid, it's pretty forgettable. 

Sicilian is too bready, imo. The plain cheese slice is their best pizza for me if I’m not getting the hoagie. 

12 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Conan’s winning is crazy to me.  I use to live close to the one off Anderson and would go every now and then and it was definitely nothing special but maybe I was ordering wrong.  Preferred to drive a little further to home slice.

Homeslice is dry as fuck in my opinion. Not nearly enough sauce, and what little sauce they do bother using, is unremarkable.

But opinions are like assholes, and surly is full of them, so there you have it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

At least Pieous has great pizza.

Have you tried the pastrami yet? Because it migth be the best thing on their menu. And that is not intended to take anything at all away from teh pizza. 

Edited by Anastasis

35 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Have you tried the pastrami yet? Because it migth be the best thing on their menu. And that is not intended to take anything at all away from teh pizza. 

Nah, I haven't been there in probably 6 months.  The only time I get out that way is when my kid's travel club (soccer) or HS team is playing at Dripping Springs or something like that.  Y'all tipped me off to the pastrami after my first visit, and next time out everyone wanted pizza, so I deferred.

My wife likes Conans.  My customers like Conans.  'Cause they're the real article.  What you see is what you get.  

One of the funniest men ever to live was also one of the most genuine actors who never really got many chances to show his chops because we were too busy laughing with him.  Anyway, this thread has made me want to try Conans to see what all the newfound hype is about.  I would normally try them every half-decade out of nostalgia but maybe they're doing something different these days.  I'm gonna pick one up this week to take to work.  Any recs on which pie from the menu?  

Edited by Lobo

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't really think Conan's has changed much.  It's great late night drunk pizza.  It's different.  I just don't think it's top 10 in Austin, much less #1.

It definitely hasn't changed much.

And it's definitely my #1 in Austin.

People with different opinions, crazy wild weird stuff. :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The goddamn savage on wheat with anchovies and japs.

If you’re a woman, the cheeseburger pizza is solid also.

This is what I order, except without the anchovies.  Add extra cheese.

Edited by Focht Up

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't really think Conan's has changed much.  It's great late night drunk pizza.  It's different.  I just don't think it's top 10 in Austin, much less #1.

This is Surly where what you ate in college is the best you will ever have.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

It definitely hasn't changed much.

And it's definitely my #1 in Austin.

People with different opinions, crazy wild weird stuff. :)

First two sentences in my original post:

I sure ate a crap ton of Conan's on the Drag, though.

I don’t think Conan’s is the best pizza in Austin. But I’m happy it won and that some people (people inclined to read alternative weeklies) still give a shit about some of the old school Austin spots. Also, savage on wheat with japs is a really really good fucking pizza so it’s not like Domino’s won here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HenryJames said:

This is Surly where what you ate in college is the best you will ever have.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I don’t think Conan’s is the best pizza in Austin. But I’m happy it won and that some people (people inclined to read alternative weeklies) still give a shit about some of the old school Austin spots. Also, savage on wheat with japs is a really really good fucking pizza so it’s not like Domino’s won here.

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

First two sentences in my original post:

I sure ate a crap ton of Conan's on the Drag, though.

Yeah, all you fucktards are still acting like Conan's isn't delicious, except it is, so go fuck yomama.  The End.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I don’t think Conan’s is the best pizza in Austin. But I’m happy it won and that some people (people inclined to read alternative weeklies) still give a shit about some of the old school Austin spots.

Actually, that's a good point -- the Google social influencers living near 2nd and Congress wouldn't know Conan's from Domino's.  They're not the ones voting in the AusChron contest. 

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Actually, that's a good point -- the Google social influencers living near 2nd and Congress wouldn't know Conan's from Domino's.  They're not the ones voting in the AusChron contest. 

Yathink???

It might actually be that there are some real actual people that live in Austin that like Conan's pizza???

That's like... fucking shocking and shit!!!!

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

This is awesome news.  I love their pies.  If anybody knows their management team...please ask them to put one in at the defunct locale of a Mr. Gatti's in my neighborhood.  It's a standlone site that is already outfitted for a 313 pizza.  They could probably fashion a little outdoor beer garden as well given the footprint.  I admit, it is literally located between a "We Buy Gold" shop and goodwill on one side...and a Shell service station on the other side.  But it could work dammit.  I also need to find a better neighborhood.  

48 minutes ago, Lobo said:

This is awesome news.  I love their pies.  If anybody knows their management team...please ask them to put one in at the defunct locale of a Mr. Gatti's in my neighborhood.  It's a standlone site that is already outfitted for a 313 pizza.  They could probably fashion a little outdoor beer garden as well given the footprint.  I admit, it is literally located between a "We Buy Gold" shop and goodwill on one side...and a Shell service station on the other side.  But it could work dammit.  I also need to find a better neighborhood.  

I know where you are talkign about and there is zero chance of a beer garden pizza joint in that spot. 

Stop crushing dreams man.  There's gotta be room on the side or in the back.  You're discriminating because there's a "We Buy Gold" spot next door, aren't you?  

Edited by Lobo