Pizza

blacklab

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wife dragged me to Blanco today for some festival, I said I'd go if we could try Pieous on the way back.

Damn.  That is some REALLY good pizza.  I'd put it well above Homeslice, Salvation, and maybe better than Backspace.  Outstanding crust, legit sauce, great flavorful toppings.  We got the "Smokey Italian", which is topped with their house-smoked Italian sausage and some spiced up onions.  Nice heat, tons of flavor.  

I'm going back when I can, it's a bit out of the way, but Austin is fairly pizza-deficient.  I'll take a great pie like that any day.

Lavender.  We probably crossed paths in opposite directions this morning. 

Pieous is extremely legit.  Some of the names you mention don't even deserve the same breath.  Looking at you salvation.  Please tell me that you tried the pastrami.  If not, you are going to have to make the return trip this week on account. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Pieous is extremely legit.  Some of the names you mention don't even deserve the same breath.  Looking at you salvation.  Please tell me that you tried the pastrami.  If not, you are going to have to make the return trip this week on account. 

I'm a fan of Salvation.  I think it is superior to Homeslice, and by a long shot.  You have to ask for "New Haven" crust.  Crispier, more charred.

Didn't try the pastrami at Pieous, but I will be back and do so.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 6:34 PM, Anastasis said:

Came here after reading the pizza hut thread looking for local recs. Salvation was so unimpressive a few months ago i'd probably choose pizza hut if I had to. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 6:09 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Wife dragged me to Blanco today for some festival, I said I'd go if we could try Pieous on the way back.

Damn.  That is some REALLY good pizza.  I'd put it well above Homeslice, Salvation, and maybe better than Backspace.  Outstanding crust, legit sauce, great flavorful toppings.  We got the "Smokey Italian", which is topped with their house-smoked Italian sausage and some spiced up onions.  Nice heat, tons of flavor.  

I'm going back when I can, it's a bit out of the way, but Austin is fairly pizza-deficient.  I'll take a great pie like that any day.

Tell me you tried the Pastrami?  It’s amazing and dare I say more outstanding than the pizza. 

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Salvation used to be solid and was the first place I tried Live Oak Hefe in undergrad so it holds nostalgia, but I haven't been since the new ownership/rebrand. 

New ownership?  Hadn't heard that.  There has been a definite personnel change at the campus location but I didn't attribute that to anything other than normal turnover.

• 5 weeks later...

Although I do not live in Rollingwood, I drive by the Mr. Gatti's there frequently...it has closed down for good.  Much as many mourned the loss of Fuddrucker's on Lamar, so too will there be great sadness regarding the loss of this fine pizzeria.  

11 hours ago, Call said:

Can you still dial  459-2222 and get a Gattis pizza delivered?  It’s been 17 or so years since I last lived in Austin and I will never forget that number/jingle.

Gatti's is my kids' favorite so I know that you could up until about a year ago (and maybe more recently but I don't know).  That number got you to an automated switchboard, which then gave options of choosing between stores in Austin, RR, and Cedar Park.

But our closest Gatti's on 620 closed maybe 2 years ago, and the one on Bell (old 183) stopped delivering on their own, they now use Favor or something and it costs more. So we either pick it up, or order something else.  

I'm sure all the pizzaphiles on this thread will also be chagrined to learn that the 34th Street location of Salvation Pizza has closed its doors.

Personally, I thought their pizza was mighty good, but I'm in the minority there.  I'm sure not going to Domain or Rainey Street to scratch that itch, though.

17 hours ago, Lobo said:

Although I do not live in Rollingwood, I drive by the Mr. Gatti's there frequently...it has closed down for good.  Much as many mourned the loss of Fuddrucker's on Lamar, so too will there be great sadness regarding the loss of this fine pizzeria.  

went by the 360 pizza just down the street today for a slice and it was closed.  dunno if its permanent or temporary, but noon on a weekday seems like a weird time for a pizza joint to be closed down 

Yeah, it looked closed to me the other day as well as I was walking over to Chinatown.  

Two chains closed down at Walsh Tarlton in the last few years.   Only one chain left between mopac and 360 then, Austin’s pizza.  If you’re ever in that area and need a great pie, check out Marye’s behind agreed & co.   Nice owners, good Italian sandwiches.  

On 6/9/2019 at 6:09 PM, jimmyjazz said:

so did you try the pastrami?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 1:26 PM, Lobo said:

Yeah, it looked closed to me the other day as well as I was walking over to Chinatown.  

Two chains closed down at Walsh Tarlton in the last few years.   Only one chain left between mopac and 360 then, Austin’s pizza.  If you’re ever in that area and need a great pie, check out Marye’s behind agreed & co.   Nice owners, good Italian sandwiches.  

It is pricey, but very good. Can take the pizza home half baked to finish at home as well. 

On 8/26/2019 at 1:26 PM, Lobo said:

360 pizza was closed again when i went by the other day, so i presume its permanent.  so that leaves zero places in this area where you can get a slice (as opposed to a whole pie, which i never want to do at lunch). 

20 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

360 pizza was closed again when i went by the other day, so i presume its permanent.  so that leaves zero places in this area where you can get a slice (as opposed to a whole pie, which i never want to do at lunch). 

Real estate is too expensive there for the amount of foot traffic it would get, nobody wants to fork over for a brick and mortar when they can just deliver to the area.

Tell that to all the fucking banks on Bee Caves Road.  Wait, somebody must have.  Another 3 banks have closed between Mopac and Hill Country Galleria in the last 6 months.  And more to come.  

Somebody tell branch bank locations that making $15/foot won't cover your G&A.  Neither will pizza apparently.  

On 9/10/2019 at 2:49 PM, Jack Straw said:

Wow. Had no idea they were struggling. Wonder if it’s just the 360 location?

My son & I were near Pinthouse on Burnet last night so we dropped in for a pizza.

I have to say, it was far and away the worst pizza I've ever had there.  At this point, I would say they're closing in on Mr. Gatti's in terms of style and unfortunately, quality.  Utter garbage.  At least my pint of Man 'o War was good.

• Like 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

Whoa.  Those are strong words. They must have really fallen off a cliff.  

Seriously, it was shockingly bad.  Could have just been an off night, but I don't know why they would serve something that far off their standard if so.  The crust was dense (like Gatti's), and the cheese seemed like it had a melting additive a la Velveeta.  

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

We haven’t eaten pizza at the Lamar one in a couple of years. Some of their food is good but the pizza is shit. 

So, that leaves Round Rock?  Yeesh.  How fucking hard is it to cook pizza?  I buy dough balls that have ALREADY BEEN ROLLED OUT from Brick Oven on Jollyville and cook 'em up in a big cast iron skillet, and it crushes what I ate last night.  I didn't really have the time to go out there and then cook at home, but I should have made the time.  Blech.

(Again, that beer, though.)

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I tried to grab some Conan's on Burnet Friday night -- the place was slammed, so we walked over to DeSano.  I had heard mixed reviews, but honestly, our pizza was delicious.  We ordered the San Gennaro:

San Marzano tomato sauce, sausage, peppadews, garlic, caramelized onions, scamorza, mozzarella di bufala, pecorino romano

The toppings and cheeses were great, and the crust was fine.  Pretty typical thin crust with a little chew and maybe a hint of a sourdough starter.  I'd say our pie was a bit light on the sauce but otherwise no complaints.

Prices are high ($24 for a 16" pie), but not so bad if you're willing to go with one of their "specials" as we did.  Going a la carte is not recommended if you care about things like the cost of your dinner.  No substitutions, and no half and half, which is a little fussy for my tastes.  I could see going back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My wife and I tried to grab some Conan's on Burnet Friday night -- the place was slammed, so we walked over to DeSano.  I had heard mixed reviews, but honestly, our pizza was delicious.  We ordered the San Gennaro:

The toppings and cheeses were great, and the crust was fine.  Pretty typical thin crust with a little chew and maybe a hint of a sourdough starter.  I'd say our pie was a bit light on the sauce but otherwise no complaints.

Prices are high ($24 for a 16" pie), but not so bad if you're willing to go with one of their "specials" as we did.  Going a la carte is not recommended if you care about things like the cost of your dinner.  No substitutions, and no half and half, which is a little fussy for my tastes.  I could see going back.

DaSano is great, but I agree it is pricey.  I think it’s worth it.

By the way, get the meatballs for an appetizer.

• 3 weeks later...

Milto's seems to finally be in their death throes.

It wasn't my favorite by a long shot, but holy smokes I ate a lot of pizza there, either after games trying to soak up the beer or before nights out on the town.

If one was really down on their finances, it helped to know they'd sell you spaghetti off the kid's menu, which was the same portion as the one on the regular menu.

• 2 months later...

Not that it's great pizza, but figured this was the best thread for a bit of bad news on the nostalgia front.

Mr. Gatti's on the far north end of the Drag closed down yesterday.  I think that was the last one other than Gatti Town.  I think the one on MLK was more frequented by UT students, but this one was also a staple.  End of an era.  Good news though is I got the Frogger machine.  

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Oak Hill closed too, I believe.  We always went about once a year.

It's the only fast food/delivery pizza that I can agree with my kids on, so we eat it probably once a month.  My wife's folks live very close to the Far West one, so we used to meet them there regularly, until it closed.  And my folks live close to the West Anderson one, so my parents took the kids there pretty frequently and we'd meet up there, too, but it's been a while.  Still, last time I drove past it, it was open.

The one on Bell is reasonably close to my house in the CP, so we get takeout there for the kids, when we're doing takeout.

Yeah, I think the pizza is fine.  Just remarking that this one hits close to home for many of us that lived north of campus.  

But just in the last 60 days, I've literally watched three of them get boarded up and the sign taken down as I drove by (620, Rollingwood, and now this one).  

Pizza in Austin is one of those curious things though because there really is a huge price delta between average pizza and really great pizza.  We have no shortage of great pizza joints and normally you should be ashamed to eat chain pizza, but there is a huge difference between the two in terms of cost.  You can have an above average large for the family at $10 or a superlative pizza for $25, that's a big delta.  

Yup.

My 12yo daughter won't eat real pizza. She doesn't like it.  She only likes chain pizza, for whatever reasons.  My 10yo son likes ANY pizza so there's no need to spend $25 on a pizza for him, he's just as happy with a $4 Tombstone frozen.  So on date nights and whatnot, my wife and I will get real pizza, but otherwise if I'm doing chain, then it's Mr. Gatti's because I like it way better than Pizza Hut or Dominoes or any of the other fast chain options that my daughter will eat.

Anyway, there are still a handful of Gattis out there, but they're growing pretty rare.  As you point out, from an Austin nostalgia point of view, it's a sad thing.

But not near as sad as watching Conan's locations close down.

The "South Flo" pizza stand inside Hancock's HEB makes pretty decent pies for a great price.  $10 gets you a 16" pie with whatever toppings you want, and they're $2 off on Mondays.  I'd say they're definitely a level above Pinthouse Pizza, but not as good as better local joints like Home Slice, Backspace, deSano, etc.

On a different note, I see that Brooklyn Pie has closed several of their locations recently.  (The Mesa Drive spot changed hands a few years ago, but the Burnet Road location next to Woodrow's is now an Austin Pizza.)

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The "South Flo" pizza stand inside Hancock's HEB makes pretty decent pies for a great price.  $10 gets you a 16" pie with whatever toppings you want, and they're $2 off on Mondays.  I'd say they're definitely a level above Pinthouse Pizza, but not as good as better local joints like Home Slice, Backspace, deSano, etc.

On a different note, I see that Brooklyn Pie has closed several of their locations recently.  (The Mesa Drive spot changed hands a few years ago, but the Burnet Road location next to Woodrow's is now an Austin Pizza.)

That's too bad, I liked Brooklyn Pie pretty well.  After that Far West location changed, I never tried its replacement.  And I also don't work at my office in RR enough to grab any from the Frontera location on the way in, if that one is even still around?

Edited by utee94

Just now, utee94 said:

That's too bad, I liked Brooklyn Pie pretty well.  After that Far West location changed, I never tried the new one.  And I also don't work at my office in RR enough to grab any from the Frontera location on the way in, if that one is even still around?

No idea.  By "Far West", do you mean Mesa Drive?  That one became "3 Train Pizza", but it was basically the same place.  They closed not too long ago.  The owner had moments of great jackassery and pissed off a lot of customers.  I don't recall if he ran the BP outlet there or not.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

No idea.  By "Far West", do you mean Mesa Drive?  That one became "3 Train Pizza", but it was basically the same place.  They closed not too long ago.  The owner had moments of great jackassery and pissed off a lot of customers.  I don't recall if he ran the BP outlet there or not.

Yeah sorry, Mesa. You'd think I'd know that, since I went to high school a block away... :)

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah sorry, Mesa. You'd think I'd know that, since I went to high school a block away... :)

Yes, I believe you, chitwood, and rollo have regaled us with stories of "Wally walkers".  (I need to get a burger there sometime, I live right down the hill and have never gone.)

• Like 1