Pizza

blacklab

I noticed the Backspace on Anderson opened up sometime in the last couple of months. I'll give it a shot just based on jimmyjazz's  repeated praise. 

We did not like it at all. The sauce was really sweet. The pepperoni pizza didn’t use pepperoni, instead, it used that salami that comes covered in white mold. The fat in it didn’t render during cooking and it was slimy and smelled like feet. It was the only pizza I think I’ve ever purchased where none of us had a second slice. The margarita pizza would’ve been okay except for the overly sweet sauce. Also got a sausage pizza and it was okay but pretty flavorless. I’d expected great pizza but it was really bad. I’ll stick with Desano’s.

6 hours ago, Blotto said:

I noticed the Backspace on Anderson opened up sometime in the last couple of months. I'll give it a shot just based on jimmyjazz's  repeated praise. 

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

We did not like it at all. The sauce was really sweet. The pepperoni pizza didn’t use pepperoni, instead, it used that salami that comes covered in white mold. The fat in it didn’t render during cooking and it was slimy and smelled like feet. It was the only pizza I think I’ve ever purchased where none of us had a second slice. The margarita pizza would’ve been okay except for the overly sweet sauce. Also got a sausage pizza and it was okay but pretty flavorless. I’d expected great pizza but it was really bad. I’ll stick with Desano’s.

Well, there you go!  Damn.  I'm not sure I've ever had a recommendation go so far south so quickly.

I haven't been to the Anderson joint, but I've been to the near-6th location a dozen times and always thought the pizza was aces.  I'll try the north location here soon.

9 hours ago, ftf82 said:

My contribution to this thread is that Pinthouse Pizza’s beer is awesome but their pizza sucks. And the pepperoni rolls are the worst. But Electric Jellyfish makes up for it.

As far as pizza, East Side Pies I guess. 

RIP Rounders

Disagree on their pizza rolls, I think they're quite good.  I usually get the lunch special with one of those, and a pinthouse salad, to go with my pitcher of beer.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, ftf82 said:

My contribution to this thread is that Pinthouse Pizza’s beer is awesome but their pizza sucks. And the pepperoni rolls are the worst. But Electric Jellyfish makes up for it.

As far as pizza, East Side Pies I guess. 

RIP Rounders

You mean the Rounders that used to be on W 6th?  Yes, I liked that place.  They moved to Jonestown last I knew.

On 10/24/2020 at 12:35 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I tried Rounders on 6th a couple of times.  I never got the hype.

They stood out in their early years because they were one of the early places that tried to elevate the pizza game in Austin.  They got passed in quality when other places opened that had better pizza.  The garlic knots were addicting.

• Hook 'Em 1

^

that's pretty much it.  It was damn good back in the day.  Only went a handful of times because While it was a great location, it was kind of a goofy orientation/lot.  But keep in mind, they were really at the vanguard of exceptional, locally made pizza.  Doesn't sound groundbreaking, but they came along in the early 2000's, IIRC.  Way before most of the places on this thread.  Kinda like Hopdoddy Burgers.  No longer earth-shifting burgers, but they were doing it a full decade before most places in Austin that are now the "trend."  But take on expensive real estate and become a pioneer in a certain niche (pizza, burgers, sandwiches) that was reserved for the local mom 'n pop dives along with the shitty national chains...you're gonna get some arrows in your back and fade away.  But places like Rounders really did help kick up Austin's pizza game.  I mean, you really have to fucking try to get an average pizza in this town nowadays.  So many great options and Rounders helped start that.  

Edited by Lobo

On 10/26/2020 at 9:01 AM, jimmyjazz said:

When Rounders opened up, both Reale's and Saccone's had been cranking out fantastic pizza for quite a while.  The biggest problem with those two joints was (is?) that they were NW of town on 183.

They had been and, yes, the problem was they were so far north on 183.  I really like Saccone’s, but have not been there since they relocated from 620/Anderson Mill to Leander a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

They had been and, yes, the problem was they were so far north on 183.  I really like Saccone’s, but have not been there since they relocated from 620/Anderson Mill to Leander a couple of years ago.

I mean, it's not really a problem for the couple hundred thousand people that live in NW Austin and Cedar Park, so...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 4:07 PM, CooterBrown said:

Just a devastating critique. I ordered pizza that night, but switched to Desano's after that comment. Tonight I thought I might give Backspace a look, but couldnt pull the trigger. If I ordered a fancy $20+ pizza and received a slimy concoction that smelled like feet, I would be pissed.....at myself because I was warned. So I ultimately audibled to the Savage. And that s never a bad move. I'm f'n stuffed. 

3 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Brick Oven is closing its last location.  Not the best pizza in town but sad to see another long time business bite the dust.

They're closing because HEB is expanding, and they lost their lease.  The good news is that it's not directly COVID-related, the bad news is that although they're looking for a new space, I'm not sure how likely they are to find one and make it work.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I can't imagine finding a space is a problem right now.  Making it work is another story entirely.

Yeah, operationally tough enough by itself just getting a new space up and running, but also Brick Oven (and accompanying Baretto) were established neighborhood joints, and getting your following to come along to the next place isn't the easiest task.

One of the co-owners and managers is an old friend of mine, and actually sort-of family too, and they're going to try but it's not going to be easy.

He's a seasoned and smart restaurateur though, so if it can be done, I think he'll find a way.

52 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, operationally tough enough by itself just getting a new space up and running, but also Brick Oven (and accompanying Baretto) were established neighborhood joints, and getting your following to come along to the next place isn't the easiest task.

One of the co-owners and managers is an old friend of mine, and actually sort-of family too, and they're going to try but it's not going to be easy.

He's a seasoned and smart restaurateur though, so if it can be done, I think he'll find a way.

Wasn't 35th Street out of the loop for a while?  They seemed to move to a different menu from Jollyville/Red River many years ago.

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wasn't 35th Street out of the loop for a while?  They seemed to move to a different menu from Jollyville/Red River many years ago.

Yeah it was an extra partner/franchised sort of deal, I don't know the particulars.  My friend was never involved in that one.  

23 hours ago, utee94 said:

That’s really too bad.  I tried Stromboli for the first time many years ago at the Red River location

• 2 weeks later...

Went by The Backspace on W Anderson.  Someone above said something about the red sauce on the pizza being too sweet. Didn't say anything to my wife. Her reaction after taking her first bite,  "Did they put sweet juice on the pizza? Wow that tastes weird."

Ohh and her pizza came out 10 minutes after my pasta and the appetizer. I was pretty much done eating my pasta. Doubt we're going again. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 12:06 PM, irishtexan said:

Pinthouse pizza rolls are exponentially better than their pizza. Their pizza is.... fine. Maybe goodish? Not great. I would have no problems eating a pizza that someone bought from there because it's pizza. It's better than Gatti's. 

I'll take credit for the rolls, since they are my recipe.  Thanks pal.  And fuck that guy upthread.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Grabbed 4 pies from Via 313 (Campus) on Christmas Eve.  As it turned out, what I wanted didn't match up with the other folks we were feeding, so on a whim I ordered a "bar style" pizza for myself, just to see how it stacked up.

I won't do that again.  It was bad.  I'm serious, a frozen HEB heat 'n eat is as good.  No flavor, terrible sauce, a limp dense thin crust, just not worth it.

I love their Detroit style, and I happily lifted a couple of slices from those we ordered, but I honestly can't imagine how they can sell that thin-crust version.  They need to take it off the menu.

Edited by jimmyjazz

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 6:29 PM, utee94 said:

they should relocate to BB Rovers current location.  It's sort of hanging on, probably because that shopping center owner can't find anyone to lease the space, i dunno. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ordered a couple of large 16" specialty pies from Tony C's (Hill Country Galleria) last night.  2-for-1 Tuesday special.  Less than $30 including tax & tip. 

Excellent pizza, New York style, very similar to what Little Deli serves, but half the price.  Fed 5 with a little left over.  We'll be back.

On 1/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Ordered a couple of large 16" specialty pies from Tony C's (Hill Country Galleria) last night.  2-for-1 Tuesday special.  Less than $30 including tax & tip. 

Excellent pizza, New York style, very similar to what Little Deli serves, but half the price.  Fed 5 with a little left over.  We'll be back.

When we lived out there and my kids were young we went to the movies a lot, would always eat at Tony C's first.  It is good. I miss his parent's old Ciola's restaurant too.

BTW Austin Pizza Garden closes this weekend.  Never eaten there but love the building.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

• 4 weeks later...

My family wanted Chinese food last night, which I can't eat (soy allergy), so I grabbed a margherita pie from Backspace on Anderson.  I'd say it wasn't as good as what I've had from their downtown location, but it was pretty damn good.  Could have used just a bit more seasoning in the tomatoes/mozz.

• 4 weeks later...