Pizza

blacklab

We just grabbed a pie from I Fratelli's.

I've gotta say, that's just not good pizza.  I'm all in for thin and crispy, but the sauce was virtually nonexistent, and the tiny bit I could taste was overly sweet.  Like, no salt on the pizza or ingredients, anywhere.  I seriously think Domino's "thin crust" is better.  Maybe I caught them on a bad night.

• 2 weeks later...

So, tangentially related to pizza, but the other night I had a pint of Southern Nights Northern Lights, which is a collaboration between Blackstack Brewing and Pinthouse Pizza. Holy shit it was good, a really incredible triple IPA. Blackstack always does good shit but this is probably the best of theirs that I've had. If you can find it in Austin and like IPA's, give it a shot.

Pinthouse is not an establishment I'm familiar with. Good spot? How's the pizza?

7 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

So, tangentially related to pizza, but the other night I had a pint of Southern Nights Northern Lights, which is a collaboration between Blackstack Brewing and Pinthouse Pizza. Holy shit it was good, a really incredible triple IPA. Blackstack always does good shit but this is probably the best of theirs that I've had. If you can find it in Austin and like IPA's, give it a shot.

Pinthouse is not an establishment I'm familiar with. Good spot? How's the pizza?

Top tier IPAs is their focus. Several GABF gold medal winners.  I think Fully Adrift won the Alpha King IPA gold medal a few years ago.

People are split on the pizza. I personally like it a lot but tend to like almost all pizza.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/13/2021 at 1:25 PM, 406W30th said:

On 4/13/2021 at 1:33 PM, CooterBrown said:

Top tier IPAs is their focus. Several GABF gold medal winners.  I think Fully Adrift won the Alpha King IPA gold medal a few years ago.

People are split on the pizza. I personally like it a lot but tend to like almost all pizza.

I am biased, as I know the owners, but what Cooter said is right.  People seem to like the pepperoni rolls, which are my recipe, but the pizza itself splits people.  I think it's fine, but the beer is what I go for.

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

Share please

Not sure what you are really looking for, but basically you get a small pizza dough and get it as thin as humanly possible (I'm talking see-through thin).  It should be like at least 2-3 feet in diameter at that point, then slap it on a wet table (so it sticks when you cut it) and slice it into 8 sections, like a regular pizza.  Put a 4-5 pep slices at the edge of each, then a slice of provolone on top of those, then roll from the outside edges in, keeping the dough as tight as possible while you roll.  Put it in the oven in a greased deep dish pan and brush with garlic butter.  I think a normal conveyor pizza oven takes like 7 minutes to run through at like 425, but I don't remember specifically.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not sure what you are really looking for, but basically you get a small pizza dough and get it as thin as humanly possible (I'm talking see-through thin).  It should be like at least 2-3 feet in diameter at that point, then slap it on a wet table (so it sticks when you cut it) and slice it into 8 sections, like a regular pizza.  Put a 4-5 pep slices at the edge of each, then a slice of provolone on top of those, then roll from the outside edges in, keeping the dough as tight as possible while you roll.  Put it in the oven in a greased deep dish pan and brush with garlic butter.  I think a normal conveyor pizza oven takes like 7 minutes to run through at like 425, but I don't remember specifically.

Point of clarity:

when I said “slice” of provolone, I mean more like a stick. We would get a log of provolone and cut it into roughly 1x4 inch sticks (like the size of a string cheese stick) and use one in each roll. 

To me the difference btw PHP pizza rolls-- which I love-- and their pizza, which I like the ingredients of but don't always like the cooking of-- is the amount of moisture in the final product.  The pizza rolls are great and sufficiently moist, and the pizza itself is often too dry.  So, whatever it would take to get the pizza to similar consistency as the pizza rolls, would make a huge difference. 

I went to b-school and was friends with one of the partners and love going to PHP, enjoy their beers, and always root for them.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 3:56 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Well, the crack is actually to put them through the oven in a deep dish pan and drizzle them with garlic butter/phase oil, but they don't do it like that at PHP.  Would take them to 11.

Gumby’s in San Marcos does this.

• Drool 1

I love Pinthouse, and I know this is a thread about pizza, but charging almost $20 for a 4-pack of Jellyfish or Training Bines at the grocery store seems a little ridiculous. That's basically what it costs at a bar. 

I agree, and as much as I've enjoyed those over the last few years, my palate is changing again. I think my favorite go-to beer of any Texas brewers is St. Arnold's Art Car IPA. Damn near perfect IPA imo.

On 5/13/2021 at 2:14 PM, Gourmand said:
On 5/4/2021 at 10:47 AM, irishtexan said:
I love Pinthouse, and I know this is a thread about pizza, but charging almost $20 for a 4-pack of Jellyfish or Training Bines at the grocery store seems a little ridiculous. That's basically what it costs at a bar. 

I think my favorite go-to beer of any Texas brewers is St. Arnold's Art Car IPA. Damn near perfect IPA imo.

And Tony C’s has it on draft.  It’s my go-to.

Did the Tony C's (Anderson Lane) 2-for-1 deal again last night, just 2 small pies (12").  They are consistently good to great.  Tons of flavor, great balance of toppings, cheese, sauce and crust.  Roughly 2/3 the price of a similar single large pie at Homeslice, and honestly, I think Tony C's lines right up in terms of quality.  Good addition to north Austin.

Guest Lobo

Yep, it’s shuttered.  Not sure if forever but certainly the foreseeable future.  Great spot that we didn’t hit up enough.  My 6yo failed to see their genius.  

On 5/19/2021 at 10:20 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Did the Tony C's (Anderson Lane) 2-for-1 deal again last night, just 2 small pies (12").  They are consistently good to great.  Tons of flavor, great balance of toppings, cheese, sauce and crust.  Roughly 2/3 the price of a similar single large pie at Homeslice, and honestly, I think Tony C's lines right up in terms of quality.  Good addition to north Austin.

couldn't find it on their site. Is that  2-for-1  a coupon, a daily special, happy hour, etc? Thy haven't even updated the new location on their site. 

25 minutes ago, Blotto said:

couldn't find it on their site. Is that  2-for-1  a coupon, a daily special, happy hour, etc? Thy haven't even updated the new location on their site. 

It's a once-a-week special.  Tuesday nights.  I think it's all locations, but I've definitely gotten it at Bee Cave and Anderson Lane.  Just call them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo
On 5/26/2021 at 3:05 PM, drt said:

Goddamnit.  Had the best Neopolitan style in the city IMO.  Any other recs?

My favorite for that is still Backspace.  No idea if it's still open after Covid-19.  But they had great happy hour specials on pies and wine BTG.

• 1 month later...

No doubt this will spark some "what's a leftover slice?" comments, but I'm here to tell ya' . . . if you have any leftover Via 313 a day or two later, about 10 minutes in the oven at 375 F will transform it into better than fresh.  Dang.  That's close to the best slice I've ever had.  (In my case, the meatball pizza.)  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 6:20 PM, jimmyjazz said:

No doubt this will spark some "what's a leftover slice?" comments, but I'm here to tell ya' . . . if you have any leftover Via 313 a day or two later, about 10 minutes in the oven at 375 F will transform it into better than fresh.  Dang.  That's close to the best slice I've ever had.  (In my case, the meatball pizza.)  

Have you ever tried the skillet method? Works with any pizza.

Bit of olive oil in a skillet. Bring it up to a medium heat. Add the pizza.  After a minute, cover for another minute or so so the top can heat up from steam.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry - it's called "Milano Pizza" - on Stassney fucks. Hard. No tables - just order or pick it up at the window. It was a dad and his daughter running it when I went in. 

Thin but not super thin. Great ratio and flavor on the crust. Generous on the toppings. Good cheese and sauce. 

It's perfect American Italian pizza. Like NY style trashed up just enough to eat your feelings away. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/29/2021 at 10:53 AM, CooterBrown said:

Have you ever tried the skillet method? Works with any pizza.

This isn't true. Only with thin enough pizza. Otherwise you burn the bottom (unless you want to wait an hour). Like if you're trying to reheat a deep dish or pan pizza. But for thinner crust I absolutely agree. 

Sorry/not sorry for triple post, whatever.

Edited by ztejas

Sorry - it's called "Milano Pizza" - on Stassney fucks. Hard. No tables - just order or pick it up at the window. It was a dad and his daughter running it when I went in. 
Thin but not super thin. Great ratio and flavor on the crust. Generous on the toppings. Good cheese and sauce. 
It's perfect American Italian pizza. Like NY style trashed up just enough to eat your feelings away. 

That place was legit back in the day.I’d completely forgotten about it but it was our go to when we lived south a decade ago. There was this huge guy that used to stand out there at the street at 5pm. He’d hold up a dozen pizzas on one hand and sell them for $5 as the rush hour special.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/14/2021 at 4:36 PM, ztejas said:

Thanks for the rec, we tried it tonight and it was good pizza.  I’ll put it in my rotation.  

On 10/21/2021 at 12:23 AM, dirtonia said:

Grata out of Beatniks gas station on Mancha and Redd, one of the best cheese slices in town. Slams and goes hard. Pizza rolls are legit.

Grabbed a cheese pie there last night on this recommendation.  You weren't wrong.  Nice flavor, pretty good crust.  Very New Yorky.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 4:37 PM, ztejas said:

Also - shorties on Anderson sucks. Idk what they're going for but they will be shuttered within 6 months. 

second this. went once, ordering was a PITA, expensive, pizza was meh and the other stuff we ordered was downright terrible. no bueno. 

• 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of Homeslice's margherita. Favorite slice anywhere, but it's a PITA to eat there given the location, parking, etc. Have a place at Parmer/McNeil called Muro's. They do the best approximation of Homeslice's margherita I've found. Been in the consistent rotation.

On 12/11/2021 at 3:17 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm a big fan of Homeslice's margherita. Favorite slice anywhere, but it's a PITA to eat there given the location, parking, etc. Have a place at Parmer/McNeil called Muro's. They do the best approximation of Homeslice's margherita I've found. Been in the consistent rotation.

The parking at homeslice north is dildos.