"homecoming" on amazon prime

henrygandorf

from sam esmail (mr robot).  julia roberts in her small screen debut.  i'm not a big fan of hers, but it also has bobby cannavale, shea wigham, and some other familiar faces.  i cruised through it over the weekend (10 episodes), and it's worth a watch.  very uniquely done.  the direction, the music, the tone - a lot of times it felt like watching a suspense movie from the early 1970's.  it's also unusual because the episodes are ~30 minutes each, but it is nowhere close to being a comedy/dramedy.

give it a shot.

Binged watched it this week. Great show. I can see the Mr. Robot similarities in directing and style. Slow in the beginning but pays off if you hang on. Also, make sure you watch episode 10 all the way past the credits. The editing and acting is really good. Looking forward to season 2. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

didn't like it cinematically or plot-wise.  wasn't a fan of the aspect ratio work, thought it was gimmicky.  the acting was really good though.  wife loved it.

That's fair.  I thought the intentions behind the aspect ratios paid off quite handsomely with that Hitchcockian "zolly" (zoom dolly) shot on Heidi.  

Check out this Esmail article about his use of the ratios to convey Heidi's headspace. (SPOILERS)

• 4 weeks later...