Sammiches

4th&Five

I can't put it in bold, because it doesn't exist any more, and they had their issues, but holy shit the best sandwich I ever ate - and I ate it a lot - was Bennigan's Monte Christo.

If anyone has any recommendation anywhere near that goddamn delicious food item, please post it here.  I'd stomp through a blockade of newborns just to get one.  Well, no I wouldn't, but close!

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

I can't put it in bold, because it doesn't exist any more, and they had their issues, but holy shit the best sandwich I ever ate - and I ate it a lot - was Bennigan's Monte Christo.

If anyone has any recommendation anywhere near that goddamn delicious food item, please post it here.  I'd stomp through a blockade of newborns just to get one.  Well, no I wouldn't, but close!

Dusty in here. You sir are correct. 

16 hours ago, phdhorn said:

The Steeping Room allegedly does it right at Sunday Brunch.  They also have Croque Monsieur sammiches daily.

The Steeping Room brunch

The Steeping Room main menu

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The first time I went to Noble Pig, I hated it. Not that the sandwich was bad, it was tiny AF.  Plus, they only put meat on one half of the sandwich.  2nd time I went, I enjoyed it a lot more since I didn't expect a giant sandwich like the one they made for whatever Food Network show they were profiled on.

The Italian sub at Home Slice needs some love. It's a perfect sandwich.

Edited by CooterBrown

On 11/7/2018 at 9:17 AM, Foggy Notion said:

I'm also a fan of the Italian at Home Slice, but lately I've been getting the chicken parmesan sandwich there. It's heavy, but really good.

My other favorite in town is the Chicago-style Italian beef at Tucci's SouthSide Subs. Slow cooked roast with banana peppers, provolone and au jus. 

I've had the Italian Beef at Tucci's. It's a perfectly good hot roast beef sandwich/french dip with banana peppers. But it in no way resembles an authentic Italian Beef that you get in Chicago. Calibrate your expectations going in. 

Tucci's Southside Italian Gourmet is a DAMN good sandwich.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2018 at 11:33 AM, irishtexan said:

I've had the Italian Beef at Tucci's. It's a perfectly good hot roast beef sandwich/french dip with banana peppers. But it in no way resembles an authentic Italian Beef that you get in Chicago. Calibrate your expectations going in. 

Tucci's Southside Italian Gourmet is a DAMN good sandwich.

^^This guy nailed it.  I had their Italian beef, and it was just OK.  That au jus doesn't compare to having the sandwich dipped into the fat drippings that gets collected during the cook.  Briefly in Addison there was a place called Al's Italian Beef, and they did it right.  It wasn't open for very long unfortunately.

On 11/28/2018 at 2:04 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Any recs on a legit Italian Beef in Austin?  And if one doesn't exist, why aren't we opening the Surly Sammich Shoppe?

I've done extensive research and, to my knowledge, there is not a legit Italian beef sandwich in Austin. 

Edit: there appears to be a Chicago food truck that opened called  Wrigleyville South Dogs & Beef and their beef at least looks fairly legit. I am going to go to lunch there tomorrow. 

Edited by irishtexan

On 11/28/2018 at 2:04 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Any recs on a legit Italian Beef in Austin?  And if one doesn't exist, why aren't we opening the Surly Sammich Shoppe?

I'll ship you one from Jimmy's in Dallas. It might be a little soggy by the time it gets there, though.

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I've done extensive research and, to my knowledge, there is not a legit Italian beef sandwich in Austin. 

Edit: there appears to be a Chicago food truck that opened called  Wrigleyville South Dogs & Beef and their beef at least looks fairly legit. I am going to go to lunch there tomorrow. 

Please report back.  Looking at their menu, my skepticism is aroused (oh my) by the fact that giardiniera is an add-on.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Please report back.  Looking at their menu, my skepticism is aroused (oh my) by the fact that giardiniera is an add-on.

shit. at least it's giardiniera and not banana peppers. I'll order a combo hot, sweet and dipped and see if they fuck it up. 

now, let's find a place that has pizza puffs

Edited by irishtexan

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Good find!  I've passed by there so many times but never noticed it.  I'll be interested in your review.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

To further my concern, the menu defines giardiniera as "hot peppers".  Not "a vegetable relish made with hot peppers".  Prepare your emotional anus.

Done properly they should define it as giardiniera (assuming that's actually what it is) and put it on your sandwich and if you don't like it you can go fuck yourself.

Edited by ztejas

Happy to report that the combo at Wrigleyville South food cart on s Lamar is a perfectly acceptable Italian beef sandwich. It’s not the best I’ve ever had, but it will appease your hankering for a legitimate beef. They got it all mostly right, except for using sweet red peppers instead of green peppers, which is more traditional. I took it to go and appreciate it was packaged fairly dry with a sealed side of Au Jus included in the bag. If you take a beef to go that isn’t dry it will almost completely soak through the bun. So that was a nice touch to be able to add jus as necessary. Giardiniera seemed to be Vienna. Crinkle cut fries were decent as well. For reference, my favorite beef in Chicago is mr. beef.

Next I will have to check out Chi-Town Chicago Style Eatery way the fuck out on 620 and Bee Cave, as I discovered they have pizza puffs there.
2ea343b1e6bb9278b9e30de877f4d916.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Happy to report that the combo at Wrigleyville South food cart on s Lamar is a perfectly acceptable Italian beef sandwich. It’s not the best I’ve ever had, but it will appease your hankering for a legitimate beef. They got it all mostly right, except for using sweet red peppers instead of green peppers, which is more traditional. I took it to go and appreciate it was packaged fairly dry with a sealed side of Au Jus included in the bag. If you take a beef to go that isn’t dry it will almost completely soak through the bun. So that was a nice touch to be able to add jus as necessary. Giardiniera seemed to be Vienna. Crinkle cut fries were decent as well. For reference, my favorite beef in Chicago is mr. beef.

Next I will have to check out Chi-Town Chicago Style Eatery way the fuck out on 620 and Bee Cave, as I discovered they have pizza puffs there.

That looks more passable than acceptable. But Jimmy's has probably ruined me for anything not out of state.

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

What is a Pizza Puff?

8 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I'd eat that.  I'll have to make a weekend trip south of the river.