Sammiches

4th&Five

On 10/5/2019 at 12:13 PM, 4th&Five said:

What do y’all get at Biderman’s? I’ve been to the FW location twice and both times it was decent but a little bland. 

I’m a Turkey Melt man myself. But The Reuben and Clevelaner are pretty legit. 

Far West club is too big for one person 

They did a soft opening, or kinda a pre-soft opening trial run a couple weeks ago.  But yeah, not quite ready for public yet but it looks damn close.  That is such a tough spot back there though particularly given the egress and how their door/patio orient.  It's been three different restaurants that I can remember.  I love downtown location, and this one will be nice to take the kids to so hope it prospers there.  

Yep, it was a Le Madeleine before that.  And I think a tex-mex place of some sort before that.  And I don't even know before that when Albertson's was the anchor spot.  But unless you're intending to go back to that corner, you will never, ever just stumble upon the place.  One piece of good news is that while you're waiting in the drive-thru line at P. Terry's---you can see it beckoning to you.  If I were them, I'd talk to property management about covering a handful of parking spaces and making a little playscape.  Something to signal "Family friendly eatery" Of all the fast casual places over there (P. Terry's, Chick-Fil-A, that pizza place, Kerbey Lane)...Biderman's and Tacodeli have the best quality food.  The demographic of that shopping center actually cares about quality over portions, so I think they can succeed.  
Let's just start a rumor that it's BYOB and see if that helps.  

The UFCU across from P Terry's was a New Mexican style restaurant when that center first opened. And it was good. Lasted probably five years. If my memory is right (dicey) the building where Zoe's is now and where Biderman's is going was built after the fact. And it's a terrible location. The salad place was really good. Zoe's is just awful.  I'm looking forward to Biderman's, but they better reserve for some lean times until they catch on. Westlake is a hard market to crack for restaurants.

19 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Westlake is a hard market to crack for restaurants

using the definition of Westlake broadly (which I do) - Sway, Jack Allen's, Saffron, and now Salt Traders all seem to be doing well.  i'd like to see more places of that level/quality and upwards in the area - and less Modern Market/CAVA/Chipotle/Zoe's type places.  sure seems like the client base is there

34 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

using the definition of Westlake broadly (which I do) - Sway, Jack Allen's, Saffron, and now Salt Traders all seem to be doing well.  i'd like to see more places of that level/quality and upwards in the area - and less Modern Market/CAVA/Chipotle/Zoe's type places.  sure seems like the client base is there

Good points. All of those mentioned do seem to be doing well (we really like Saffron). I guess I was focused more on the ones that failed in the center at Bee Cave and 360, like the Lion & Rose (bizarre idea for Westlake) and whatever Houston restaurant proceeded or followed it before it became a very lame Kerby Lane. I did notice yesterday that we are getting a Jersey Mike's. I'll be curious to see how it does with a Thundercloud across the street. 

17 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Good points. All of those mentioned do seem to be doing well (we really like Saffron). I guess I was focused more on the ones that failed in the center at Bee Cave and 360, like the Lion & Rose (bizarre idea for Westlake) and whatever Houston restaurant proceeded or followed it before it became a very lame Kerby Lane. I did notice yesterday that we are getting a Jersey Mike's. I'll be curious to see how it does with a Thundercloud across the street. 

Yeah, strange concept for that strip center-A Jersey Mike's?  Yet another chain that is going to make the mistake of thinking that their family friendly concept will succeed in that affluent area.  And then a year in, they realize just like Cane's did, that their new location is kept in business by laborers in the area stopping by to carb up for the hot afternoon and to take a shit in their clean bathrooms.  

Two of the best sandwich shops in Austin are within a few hundred yards of them-Thundercloud and Texas Honey Ham.  Plus Mr. Mike...in the exact same strip center, there's a Jason's Deli.  I've correctly, and incorrectly, predicted the demise of other restaurants in the area.  I'm sure it'll succeed for the reasons I listed above.  In fact, the corporate or franchise owner probably banks on that market pivot quite a bit.  The reason that Subway, literally next door to Texas Honey Ham, survives is because high school kids loiter around there, and one truck after another filled with hungry guys who work standing up that need lots of calories for $5.  The line for the restroom there and at Popeye's would literally be out the door somedays.  

I haven't given Saffron a shot since the remodel.  Any recs on what to get?  My GERD can't really handle anything too crazy, but I'm up for trying it again

Edited by Lobo

^ what space is the Jersey Mike's going into?  the old popeye's?  

getting off the sammiches topic here but re: Saffron: both daals are good, particularly the tarka daal.  i like the lamb and goat vindaloo and curry dishes, and the chicken lazeez; brussel sprouts and chicken 65 apps are both very good.  gf loves the samosas.  the saffron naan is amazing.

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

^ what space is the Jersey Mike's going into?  the old popeye's?  

getting off the sammiches topic here but re: Saffron: both daals are good, particularly the tarka daal.  i like the lamb and goat vindaloo and curry dishes, and the chicken lazeez; brussel sprouts and chicken 65 apps are both very good.  gf loves the samosas.  the saffron naan is amazing.

No, it's going on between the FedEx Office and the Austin Shoe Hospital.  Apparently a window blinds emporium is also going in next to them.  It'll be a fun race to see who goes out of business first.  

Who will be dumb enough to build the last parking garage in America?  

On 11/11/2019 at 5:36 PM, Jack Straw said:

biderman's WL finally opened up.  had a rueben for lunch today (actually my first visit to any of their locations).  pretty solid.  

Went today and got a Rueben as well and it was great. Felt like I walked into a deli in nyc 

Downtown one has a dark rye bread, but I guess now that you mention it, it is not the traditional Russian style.  

WLH location was packed when I drove past the other day to Office Depot.  Good for them, but also---would it fucking kill them to hoist up a large sign like Zoe's has?  I'm sure it's in the works but eventually the word-of-mouth from folks like us is gonna wear off and that worn-ass banner ain't gonna cut it.  But kudos to them, every table was full and short line out the door.  

speaking of dining over there, Joseph A. Banks finally moved out from that corner spot.  That could be an interesting spot for a dining option, especially if they subdivide.  I don't see a retail option taking the whole end-cap, hopefully a casual place with a proper bar moves in.  

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Downtown one has a dark rye bread, but I guess now that you mention it, it is not the traditional Russian style.  

hmm, maybe this location has it too and i missed it.  i will ask next time i am in there.  

i am not really a fan, but is the chick-fil-A leaving, or just undergoing a facelift?  i thought it was just some upgrades, but the signage has been down so wondering if (hoping) something else is going in.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

speaking of dining over there, Joseph A. Banks finally moved out from that corner spot.  That could be an interesting spot for a dining option, especially if they subdivide.  I don't see a retail option taking the whole end-cap, hopefully a casual place with a proper bar moves in.  

It's going to be a day spa/massage place

In two weeks time, there'll be a dozen minivans and Suburbans "Parked" at that bank that never has anyone in it.  Westlake wives scoping that place to see if their husbands/friends' husbands come walking outta there.  I kid, I kid.  Just disappointed it's another fucking day spa like there's not enough of those in Austin.  Was hoping for a decent bar, although the eye candy at Sway's bar is just top-notch (Salt Trader's a distant but respectable second).  

Edited by Lobo

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Bi City Bagel on Anderson Mill had the best pastrami in town, he just said hes not going to make it for awhile cause its "too expensive to make right now".

That's the place that took over the Delaware Subs spot, isn't it?  Aside from pastrami, anything else you like there?  I've been meaning to try it.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/18/2019 at 8:13 PM, Jack Straw said:

place would go to 11 if they had Russian black rye bread

Replying to an old ass post but the south Central Market has Russian black rye.  One of the bakers told me that they had a Russian UT student working there a few years back and she convinced them to start making it and it's been on their rotation ever since.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/1/2021 at 4:15 PM, CooterBrown said:

Replying to an old ass post but the south Central Market has Russian black rye.  One of the bakers told me that they had a Russian UT student working there a few years back and she convinced them to start making it and it's been on their rotation ever since.

I have run across it at the CM on north lamar as well - they don't always have it so I will grab two or three loaves when I see it and freeze it.  my office is closer to the the south location, so that is good to know - thanks.

On 3/1/2021 at 4:15 PM, CooterBrown said:

North Lamar, too.

0CB13CEE-31D2-40CA-9758-4FD5AADB6AF2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

His burger game is legit, so I'll likely swing by and give this a shot. Opened yesterday apparently

https://austin.eater.com/2021/3/16/22333402/jewboy-burgers-opening-sandwich-restaurant-jewboy-sub-shop-allandale-march

The owner of El Pasoan-Jewish restaurant JewBoy Burgers, Mo Pittle, is venturing into new sandwich territory with a sub shop in Allandale. JewBoy Sub Shop will open at 6701 Burnet Road in the former Pour House Pub space on Tuesday, March 23.

JewBoy Sub Shop — which Pittle specifies will not function as a deli — will serve a small menu of sandwiches, including three kinds of cheesesteaks (with carne asada, smoked chicken fajita, and pastrami), three parmesan hoagies (meatball, eggplant, and chicken schnitzel), and an Italian beef sub. There are also cold sandwiches like roast beef, turkey, and ham on thick Pullman bread. Pittle will be smoking the pastrami, turkey, and chicken in-house. Sides include house-made potato chips with dipping sauces like salsas, ranch, and beer cheese; shoestring fries; fried pickle chips; fried meatballs in tomato gravy; and matzo ball and fideo (Mexican noodle) soups.

This new restaurant will also have a full bar and spacious patio. Pittle plans to offer specialty drinks like Orange Whips and boozy slushies and shakes.

I used to drive by the PourHouse location damn near every day, but never stopped in after they tore down the original to build those apartments. I guess you park in the parking garage.