Sammiches

4th&Five

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Same guy who has the Saigon Le Vendeur trailer. Good chicken nuggets too. In your karage wheelhouse.

for sure.  we shared those karaage style "nuggets," the brussel sprouts, and the pork bahn mi with pate.  thought it was all just fantastic.  service was great, price is totally reasonable - i really can't believe its been there for a year and i just now found it.  just a few min from my gf's place, so its going to be a regular place for us.  looking forward to trying some of the pho and other bahn mi.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 3:37 PM, jimmyjazz said:

To further my concern, the menu defines giardiniera as "hot peppers".  Not "a vegetable relish made with hot peppers".  Prepare your emotional anus.

So does Potbelly, and those are a staple in my pantry. Maybe won't appease the Chicago regulars or natives, but they're damn good and you can grab a box of 6 jars at the drive thru and be good to go for a while. 

On 5/19/2019 at 10:26 AM, BBQ2Bayou said:

So does Potbelly, and those are a staple in my pantry. Maybe won't appease the Chicago regulars or natives, but they're damn good and you can grab a box of 6 jars at the drive thru and be good to go for a while. 

Potbelly's started in chicago. Their giardiniera is totally fine. 

On 5/20/2019 at 4:01 PM, Texas007 said:

I probably should keep this to myself (lunch line is already bad enough) but Bella Donna Subs is reasonably priced and has really good cheese steak, reuben, and Italian beef sandwiches.

I like their reuben a lot. Not sure that I've ever had their cheesesteak. Their pastrami burger is a delicious heart attack.  Their Chicago style italian beef, while tasty, is not an authentic chicago-style italian beef. It's more of a french dip. 

On 5/20/2019 at 4:01 PM, Texas007 said:

I probably should keep this to myself (lunch line is already bad enough) but Bella Donna Subs is reasonably priced and has really good cheese steak, reuben, and Italian beef sandwiches.

Call your order in and go to the side window to pay.  I work down the street from there.  Agree most of their stuff is good. If you like the regular  cheesesteak, get the Brooklyn meets Philly.  It’s a mess but tasty.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I buy baked goods from Mi Tradicion at Ohlen & 183.  Gotta try the counter service with tortas, etc. on the other side of the shop.

I miss living walking distance from that one. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

damn, sad to see Noble Pig go.  the duck pastrami and the rueben are both awesome.  hope they find a brick and mortar somewhere else (and not in BFE like 620).  never thought the prices were out of line for an "upscale sandwich" place, looking at Walton's or Sweetish Hill for reference. 

Looks like they're blaming the rents and third-party delivery services. Regarding their sammich-making future, from the Statesman story:

"Following closure, Bates and Martinez will focus their efforts on revamping the menu at their trailer, for which they hope to find a permanent location soon. 'I would like to take the menu and freshen it up a bit to reflect current dining trends,' Bates said.
Once they have dialed in their new menu and feel comfortable with the new operation, Bates says he plans to find a location in the suburbs and reopen the Noble Sandwich Co. deli.
Bates says they have found another restaurant group to take over the space, though he was not able to share the name of the new tenant."

https://www.austin360.com/entertainmentlife/20190924/noble-sandwich-co-is-closing-on-burnet-road-but-has-plans-for-future?template=ampart&__twitter_impression=true

Been there for breakfast many times, but finally had the lunch Reuben at Biderman's on East 8th street today.  Scrumtrulescent is all I can say.  'Twas glorious.  It's not Subway good, but I was more than content for several hours afterwards.  

Sad to see them go.  The beef tongue sandwich and oxtail breakfast were the two best things they had, but they had to drop them from the menu over the past two years due to a lack of popularity.  The duck pastrami was a great sandwich and I never had a problem with a lack of meat (ball over the plate, take your swings).  

19 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

there is a Biederman's Deli opening up in the shopping center at Bee Caves and 360, next to the Zoe's Kitchen (where the old Le Madeleine was).  Never been to the other location, but it sounds like a nice addition to that center.

That is phenomenal news (have some rep).  That back location, although it's an end-cap, has been brutal to restaurants over the year.  It's been through three that I can think of, since I started working over there about 7 years ago.  Biderman's will be the fourth.  And hey, Chick-Fil-A,!!!-Biderman's is open on Sunday, Jesus' Sabbath was Saturday!  

I hope they can survive that spot though, you literally can't see it until you're up on top of Zoe's and that strip center, due to local code, won't allow another more prominent sign besides the little one on the arrow direction sign thing at the top of the whole strip center.  I don't know how, but I'm gonna help them get the word out in exchange for delicious Rueben sandwiches on demand.  Plus any excuse to have lunch over there and ogle the yoga pant parade.